Suns looking to re-aquire Finley

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Payton is a washup has been malcontent who can't accept the game has passed him by, good thing for him he has fans in Phoenix who still think this is 1991.
Gary Payton
Boston Celtics
Position: G
Height: 6-4 Weight: 180
College : Oregon State '90
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 12.1
RPG 3.0
APG 6.1
SPG 1.24
BPG .15
FG% .454
FT% .736
3P% .307
MPG 32.8

Also, he averaged fewer than two turnovers a game.

He might not be the player he was, but these aren't bad numbers.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Although Finley would likely start in Denver as opposed to Phoenix where he'll be sharing time with an already crowded backcourt.

It just leads to the $64,000 question ... does Finley want a chance to win a ring or to get more minutes and start? The answer to this question will decide where he wants to go between the 2 most likely spots (Denver and Phoenix).

If he wants the possibility of the ring, he'll come here. If minutes are more of a priority then he'll go to Denver.

For the vet min I say :bhiich:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
It just leads to the $64,000 question ... does Finley want a chance to win a ring or to get more minutes and start? The answer to this question will decide where he wants to go between the 2 most likely spots (Denver and Phoenix).

If he wants the possibility of the ring, he'll come here. If minutes are more of a priority then he'll go to Denver.

I would say he could look at Denver and Phoenix as pretty much equal, considering that he would see himself as the last piece of a puzzle AND start and get more minutes than he would here.

Honestly - there wasn't a team hotter than us in the second half of the season except for Denver - I don't see either destination as far as Fins is concerned as better one way or another (actually - strike that - Nash relationship with Fins might have some pull as well).

For the minimum, I'm all for it. I just hope that's not all we do and I do fear a little bit of how it will limit JJ2's minutes, who I think is more valuable than Fins is at this point (on this team anyway().

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I would say he could look at Denver and Phoenix as pretty much equal, considering that he would see himself as the last piece of a puzzle AND start and get more minutes than he would here.

Honestly - there wasn't a team hotter than us in the second half of the season except for Denver - I don't see either destination as far as Fins is concerned as better one way or another (actually - strike that - Nash relationship with Fins might have some pull as well).

For the minimum, I'm all for it. I just hope that's not all we do and I do fear a little bit of how it will limit JJ2's minutes, who I think is more valuable than Fins is at this point (on this team anyway().

That's exactly right. They also gave San Antonio a good first-round series. I think the top of the Western Conference is going to be much more crowded this season. There will probably be 12 teams in the conference that would be lost for the playoffs in the East. It's going to be tough.

I think the Phoenix Suns are planning on playing more minutes than not with a traditional line up on the floor. This is based on the recent comments from Bryan Colangelo and coach Mike.

Joe

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
That's exactly right. They also gave San Antonio a good first-round series. I think the top of the Western Conference is going to be much more crowded this season. There will probably be 12 teams in the conference that would be lost for the playoffs in the East. It's going to be tough.

I think the Phoenix Suns are planning on playing more minutes than not with a traditional line up on the floor. This is based on the recent comments from Bryan Colangelo and coach Mike.

Joe

They say that every year. :cool:

As I pointed out in another thread, the real key is whether the Suns have another big in their rotation. If both Amare and KT play 36 minutes each, but never with both off the floor, without another big it would mean 24 minutes of speed ball.

One of the attractions of Donyell Marshall is that he could play PF and still give the Suns another wing guy who can shoot threes and actually rebound (think a more consistent Robert Horry).

On the other hand, if the Suns pick up a real bruser like Tractor Traylor, the Suns would look like a much more conventional team. If they get both, neither will get a huge number of minutes.

My guess is that if the Suns got Marshall, they'd go for a guard with their LLE. If they got Finley for minimum, then going for a big guy becomes more realistic.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
one thing I remembered about Finley was how he played with plantar fascitis (sp?) for quite awhile. I think he's tougher than people give him credit for and hopefully after this surgery heals he will gain some mobility.

I'd rather see us get Flip Murray though if at all possible. When not forced to be a point ad when Ray Allen was out he performed amazingly well. Almost Amare like offensively for a good stretch. He is more of a versatile scorer than Finlye, or at least will be very soon. Probably wouldn't come cheap like Finley though.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
az1965 said:
No thanks. Don't want Finley, choke artist and dimishing skills.

15 PPG is diminishing? Hell I'd take that from any of our current bench players...

If he comes cheap, bring him in.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Originally Posted by az1965
No thanks. Don't want Finley, choke artist and dimishing skills.

15 PPG is diminishing? Hell I'd take that from any of our current bench players...

If he comes cheap, bring him in.

QFE...I would too rather have a vet with diminishing skills (ala JJack) over a guy who is a summer league All Star and pisses himslef when he gets on the floor in a real game "young guy" like Barbosa.

Oh i know he has a lot of potential he is going to be a star in this leauge. yeah blah blah, why do i have the strange feeling he is going to be just a kid even when he is 35...hmmm am i getting off topic?...hmmm thank you for posting on the internet.

Last edited: