Suns @ Mavs 6/1/2006 game thread - Scouting Report: Mavericks vs. Suns

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The technicals didn't cost us the game, but they certainly were the beginning of the end. Very disappointing that they decided to not let TT touch the ball the last 3/4 of the 4th. We seem to do that a lot--get away from the hot hand.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dirk shot 18fts......that was the refs fault. He was getting calls with minimal to zero contact. He was jumping into Nash on a long rebound, landing on him, knocking him to the ground and Nash gets the foul and Dirk gets fts. BS!

BTW the Suns only shot 20fts.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The technicals didn't cost us the game, but they certainly were the beginning of the end. Very disappointing that they decided to not let TT touch the ball the last 3/4 of the 4th. We seem to do that a lot--get away from the hot hand.

Well that and stop doing what gave you the lead in the 1st place. Moving without the ball, playing decent D, at least pretending like they know how to get boards, etc

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How about everytime a mavs defender slaps down on the Suns player driving to the basket and the ball pops out, it's a clean turnover and everytime the Suns do that it's a foul.

Or when Nash has the ball on the fast break with Harris trying to stop him, one ref calls a block on Harris with the basket being good while the other refs calls a travel and then changes it to an offensive foul on Nash.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
Dirk shot 18fts......that was the refs fault. He was getting calls with minimal to zero contact. He was jumping into Nash on a long rebound, landing on him, knocking him to the ground and Nash gets the foul and Dirk gets fts. BS!

You're not blaming the refs for the loss are you? I agree the 4th quarter was lopsided, and there were several traveling calls that were not whistled, but come on. Steve Nash took some really bad shots and Boris Diaw never got into rhythm. Add to that the fact that we decided not to let Tim Thomas touch the ball in the 4th quarter, and it was a recipe for disaster. That has nothing to do with the refs.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Well...that sucked!

Our momentum went downhill the very moment we got drilled for two Ts....let's regroup and focus on Game 6!

Oh, and Jason Terry can go f**k himself!! Nice move punching Nash in the groin, you POS!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

The suns stopped being the aggressor. The Mavs did whatever they wanted on offense and on the boards because of the Suns' lack of effort, not the officiating

They were outplayed when they needed to give their best effort and basically flat out folded. The 1st qtr and 4th qtr are when you need people to step up their intensity and effort but the Suns went in the opposite direction

They have no one to blame but themselves, plain and simple

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm blaming the refs for the Dallas parade to the ft line. I'm blaming the refs for not calling any fouls for the Suns for the last 1 1/2 qtrs, which is why we got outscored about 35-20 in the 4th when we're getting hit on every drive and shot. I'm blaming the refs for the ridiculous technicals against Raja and DAntoni.

Maybe I'm wrong though since Charles Barkley just said there shouldn't have been T's on Raja & DAntoni....Charles is always wrong.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

screw Kings fan - I'm re-dubbing the Orange Mark Cuban!

Give me a break man. We got our asses waxed in the 4th, the refs did EVERYTHING they could to keep us in it in the 1st with 10 FTs and we just didn't have it tonight.

Can anyone tell me where Marion has been the last four games? The Tortilla is back, unfortunately (not saying this game is his fault - no one but TT played well tonight, but Marion has just sucked ass the last three games - everyone else has at least played well in one of those).

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
screw Kings fan - I'm re-dubbing the Orange Mark Cuban!

Give me a break man. We got our asses waxed in the 4th, the refs did EVERYTHING they could to keep us in it in the 1st with 10 FTs and we just didn't have it tonight.

Can anyone tell me where Marion has been the last four games? The Tortilla is back, unfortunately (not saying this game is his fault - no one but TT played well tonight, but Marion has just sucked ass the last three games - everyone else has at least played well in one of those).
Ok so we shot 10fts in the 1st qtr and then 10 for the rest of the game.....that sounds right.

BTW Cuban said he's going to send the Griffin/Marion play into the league for review because he feels Marion threw an intentional elbow.

Marion had 20pts on 9/13 fg with 10 rebs.

Marion & Nash complained about officiating in their post game interviews.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
Ok so we shot 10fts in the 1st qtr and then 10 for the rest of the game.....that sounds right.

BTW Cuban said he's going to send the Griffin/Marion play into the league for review because he feels Marion threw an intentional elbow.

I'm sorry - weren't you the same person that posted an after the fact picture of the TT foul by HOward calling for a suspension? You're not better than that baby Mark Cuban.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

That's not that bad, even though cheese probably thinks so. He was also in foul trouble for parts of the game.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I'm sorry - weren't you the same person that posted an after the fact picture of the TT foul by HOward calling for a suspension? You're not better than that baby Mark Cuban.
No that wasn't me. I put the picture in the thread long after the thread was started but never called for a suspension.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

yeah - that's what happens when you stop going to the hole.

And Marion got 6 points in garbage time when we were down big - he was useless when the game mattered.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
yeah - that's what happens when you stop going to the hole.

And Marion got 6 points in garbage time when we were down big - he was useless when the game mattered.

Again, he got called for some bogus fouls and was in foul trouble. What don't you understand?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
No that wasn't me. I put the picture in the thread long after the thread was started but never called for a suspension.

oh - I see - you put that picture up to disagree with the thread...
Right Cuban.

JAndrews

Rookie
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

Only a few here agree with us on the refs. Complete BS, NO WAY those techincal fouls are valid. the second was a result of the 1st bs and although coach was mad it was deserved. the refs are poor in Dallas.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JAndrews said:
Only a few here agree with us on the refs. Complete BS, NO WAY those techincal fouls are valid. the second was a result of the 1st bs and although coach was mad it was deserved. the refs are poor in Dallas.

It was a good crew, actually, they did a lot to keep the game under control and were wrong on some calls, like usual. But a good team reacts to them rather than letting the calls dictate their game. I think both Dallas and Phoenix are guilty of that.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Diaw and Nash were clearly tired mid to late games. Diaw had an airball on FT and shot another 15 foot airball moments later. Bell was severely hampered the whole game. Diop was simply huge for them again with all the offensive rebounds and blocks. This is a game which we might have been better off playing KT to block out and to set really firm picks for Nash. We tried the best we could but Mavs just had more firepower and maintained the intensity into 4th. Certainly the refs helped them maintain the momentum in the 4th that nailed the coffin for us who needed their own momentum to get energized from the tired legs.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Diaw and Nash were clearly tired mid to late games. Diaw had an airball on FT and shot another 15 foot airball moments later. Bell was severely hampered the whole game. Diop was simply huge for them again with all the offensive rebounds and blocks. This is a game which we might have been better off playing KT to block out and to set really firm picks for Nash. We tried the best we could but Mavs just had more firepower and maintained the intensity into 4th. Certainly the refs helped them maintain the momentum in the 4th that nailed the coffin for us who needed their own momentum to get energized from the tired legs.

This is very perceptive. Diaw and Nash did look a step slow. KT would have been a possible solution. Still, who can say how effective he might have been.....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Diaw and Nash were clearly tired mid to late games. Diaw had an airball on FT and shot another 15 foot airball moments later.

Unfortunately, that was at the beginning of the game, not the end...

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
oh - I see - you put that picture up to disagree with the thread...
Right Cuban.
Go read the thread.
Here's the link to the main page: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73312

Here's my comment on the 2nd page:
I don't think it merited a suspension, but Howard knew how bad of a play it was and stood there stareing TT down. TT was able to cool down and walk away, but Howard looked ready to fight.

It's also the 2nd time he's been taken out by hard flagrant fouls in the head while in mid-air in the playoffs (Walton).

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turning point of the game was when Nash and the Suns let time expire to end the 3rd qt... Being down 82-80...if the Suns had better clock management during that sequence, they would have had more momentum heading into the 4th.... Unfortunately.... they seemed to really boost the Mav's morale and give them even a further sense of hope....

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll give Dallas credit with the shots that they made. Dirk hit a lot of outside shots to put the Mavs ahead. I don't think their defense was good. Thier defense mainly consisted of fouling on every play and seeing what the refs would & wouldn't call. The Suns missed a lot of shots towards the end of the game and got fouled a lot without calls. The Suns also ended the 2nd & 3rd qtrs with Dallas fouling them without getting calls, once where Barbosa had the ball with 3 seconds left and was grabbed and swung off balance with no call and then Nash drives to the basket and was fouled with no call.

Last edited:

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
There wasnt much we could do in this game. Dirk was going insane, and the Refs certainly werent helping at the end of that game. Hopefully we can bounce back saturday.

We need Nash to step it up if we are going to have a chance in this series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05