Suns @ Mavs 6/1/2006 game thread - Scouting Report: Mavericks vs. Suns

jibikao

Reaction score
JWF said:
There wasnt much we could do in this game. Dirk was going insane, and the Refs certainly werent helping at the end of that game. Hopefully we can bounce back saturday.

We need Nash to step it up if we are going to have a chance in this series.

Hopefully?

WE MUST WIN on Saturday and rest a few days before the final show. Believe!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree the techinical fouls on us late in the game really hurt we had the them right where we wanted them and then after that we could not get any open shots or hit anything if we were open. Also when dirk is on fire like that its hard for anyone to beat the mavs. Also i'm very confused like most of you why Tim got no more shots in 4th qtr that was bs give the ball to our hottest shoter like the mavs did with dirk. Oh well hopefully we can pull out game 6 and if we get to game 7 its a toss up. GO SUNS I STILL BELIEVE!!!

cly2tw

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Unfortunately, that was at the beginning of the game, not the end...

I remember them as in the middle. But in the beginning would be even more telling that somehow Diaw's concentration were down throughout the game.

cly2tw

Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I'll give Dallas credit with the shots that they made. Dirk hit a lot of outside shots to put the Mavs ahead. I don't think their defense was good. Thier defense mainly consisted of fouling on every play and seeing what the refs would & wouldn't call. The Suns missed a lot of shots towards the end of the game and got fouled a lot without calls. The Suns also ended the 2nd & 3rd qtrs with Dallas fouling them without getting calls, once where Barbosa had the ball with 3 seconds left and was grabbed and swung off balance with no call and then Nash drives to the basket and was fouled with no call.

In hindsight, I believe that's their intentional strategy to foul a lot early on. Since refs often try to keep parity on FTs particularly trying not to disfavor the home team with a notorious owner like Cuban, they hope to get more no-calls later. And it paid off for them.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I'm disgusted. Normally, I'll try and stay away from ref-bashing. It just sucks to no end that we have to watch the **** parade to the foul line. I don't give a crap what team it it. Just let the boys play.

Why in the hell do the refs feel the need to blow their damn whistle every time down the floor? Put the whistle in your back pocket, and let the game unfold in front of you.

Instead, we have ticky-tack crap called... when other crap is ignored.

Mike D showed restraint, because I would have had Ken Mauer in a choke-hold after that T.

That being said... damn... up 77-70. Time-out. Before you know it, Dallas is up again. How many times has Dallas changed the pace after a time-out? Too many.

Dallas didn't stop PHX's momentum tonight. It was the incessant ticky-tack, anticipating calls that stopped the momentum in the fourth. Dallas can't play D for long stretches. It's a good thing they were getting the calls on their end. Stopped the clock. Got them some rest.

I'm calling it now. PHX blows out D in Game 6. And, we're going to see the mother-of-all-game-sevens on Monday. PHX is going to win this series. (As long as Bennett Salvatore or Joey Crawford are 250 miles away from Dallas).

Cheers to a great season!

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
No coach quotes available, just the players.

Western Conference Finals
Game 5: Suns 101, Mavs 117

Post-Game Quotes
Posted: June 1, 2006
You must be registered for see images

Nash SUNS GUARD STEVE NASH (20 PTS, 11 ASTS):

(On his running dialogue with the refs)
"I just felt like we couldn't get a break so I was just trying to plead a little bit of our case so maybe we would get a call down the line. I think, regardless, they made a lot of shots when it counted. Even if we didn't get a call, it wasn't really the telling factor necessarily. I thought they played really well."

(On the Suns' fourth quarter struggles)
"We just got a lot of bad breaks. Shawn fought around in front, did a good job, and for some reason they called a foul. That was his fourth. He goes to the bench. They were in the bonus, I think. They make a shot, then we get the double technicals, they get the ball on the side and scored. So just a lot of things went against us and they made all their shots at the same time. So you have to give them a lot of credit for that."

(On Nowitzki's 50-point game)
"He was outstanding obviously. I don't know what his line was, but it didn't seem like he missed very often. He was tremendous. What can I say?"

(On Tim Thomas' 26 points)
"Tim was unbelievable. He went on that run there, hit a bunch of threes for us, and gave us a 77-70 lead. We were in good position and then we didn't score a ton after that."

Diaw SUNS FORWARD/CENTER BORIS DIAW (16 PTS, 9 REBS): "We’ve been down before. And we know how to react and come back home and try and win one.”

(On Nowitzki's 22 points in the fourth quarter)
“It’s always difficult to guard Dirk down the stretch. He’s just a great player and with his size he can shoot over anybody.
“I think you give credit to our team to get him (Dirk) down a little bit last game. But Dirk’s that good. We just caught him when he had a night off, and I think tonight he was ready and focused to come back in the game.”

(On enjoying adversity)
“I don’t think we enjoy it, but I think we’re more ready, more aggressive and we play our best when we have our backs to the wall.”

Marion SUNS FORWARD SHAWN MARION (20 PTS, 10 REBS): “Something happened when we had a seven-point lead. I think I got my fourth or fifth foul and I came out. I came out and I think we lost a little bit of something there. We were trying to keep it up, but (Dirk) got it going and it was hard to shut him off.”
“I think everybody was contributing. It was just a variety of things. We had a couple of missed calls here and then a couple of fouls here, and then we just got discombobulated in that fourth quarter. We had it going our way, then the next thing you know we just went the other way.”

Terry MAVS GUARD JASON TERRY (14 PTS, 9 ASTS): “In the fourth quarter, we went to what was working and we did a good job. At the same time, we have to be persistent; we have to attack. That’s what we did in the fourth quarter.”
(On the play of Dirk Nowitzki)
“Great performance. He didn’t settle tonight. When he got it going he kept it going and we made sure he got the ball.”
(On what the Mavericks did when they got down seven in the third quarter)
“Snap out of it quick. That seven could have gone to 14 quick. We came on a run; Dirk had a big basket, and Devin had a big and-one and we got back into it.”
(On whether the Mavericks stopped focusing on Nash as much because Tim Thomas was shooting well)
“We still worry about Nash. We just made a little adjustment. It’s a game of runs and Tim Thomas played a great game tonight. He’s a guy we definitely have to pay attention to.”

Armstrong MAVS GUARD DARRYLL ARMSTRONG (0 PTS, 0 ASTS): (On if how the Mavericks won this game is as important as getting the win itself)
“The way we did it, especially being down seven points in the third quarter, 77-70. All of a sudden we made a big run to get back in the game and then outscore them 35-20 in the fourth quarter.”
(On the series starting to get more intense and teams starting to talk more)
“It’s going to get like that. You get tired of seeing each other, especially when you don’t like each other. It’s going to get a little tense. Guys are starting to talk to each other now. That’s part of the game. That’s part of the series. We just have to keep our focus and continue to play Mavericks basketball.”

TXBamanut

Reaction score
A lot of talk about the technical fouls...but no one seems to want to point out that the refs were consistent and called the same technical on Jason Terry later in the game.

The only difference is that Avery didn't lose him freakin' mind and get another tech because of it and the Mavericks didn't start running around like chickens with their heads cut off and fold immediately afterwards.

Fact is, Raja was like that when he was with the Mavs. It's all good if you choose to play that irritate other players with chippy stuff style, but if you do, you going to get called for it sooner or later. Just accept it and take it with the bad with the good that comes with his style of defense.

Like the Mavs did in game 4, you guys got beat...plain and simple.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TXBamanut said:
A lot of talk about the technical fouls...but no one seems to want to point out that the refs were consistent and called the same technical on Jason Terry later in the game.

What you do not understand though, is that eventhough he did go for the ball, he swiped at the ball and hit Nash 2-3 SECONDS, after the whistle was blown. He should have been thrown out of the game. Period. This was the second extra curricular activity that he has been involved with in these playoffs.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
TXBamanut said:

Am I the only one who reads the entire thread before responding?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
MAVS GUARD DARRYLL ARMSTRONG (0 PTS, 0 ASTS): (On riding the bench most of this year) "I'm a team player, you know. I do what this team needs me to do. And if that's riding the bech or bringing the starting 5 some water, it's all part of what being and excellent teamate is all about. I mean, you've seen my jumpshot right?"

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Post Game Quote:

MAVS HEAD COACH AVERY JOHNSON: "Well, this was a good win for us to tonight. I thought we had a lot of energy. I thought we got off to a good start tonight. We were pretty aggressive. You know, scored 36 points in the first quarter, and our defense was pretty good. We had a big let down in the second quarter. But, again, these guys, they battled. This is the Western Conference Finals. Teams are evenly matched. And, you know, we had an outstanding fourth quarter, which we haven't had in a while. So, again, obviously Dirk, you know, had a big game with the 50 points. But, again, we had a lot of contributions from a lot of guys. You know, guys like Adrian Griffin, you know, he scores he doesn't score tonight, but he had seven rebounds. And DeSagana Diop, you know, getting him back in the lineup and him giving us a lot of energy. So just a good overall team effort. Stack with 38 big minutes tonight. Josh Howard. And, again, we did some nice things tonight. But, again, the game was right there nip and tuck for a while and we were kind of able to get away from them."

(On Tim Thomas)
"Yeah, Tim was really good tonight. He got away from us a little bit. You know, made ten 3 pointers tonight and six were his. If you were to tell me Tim were to go six for eight from the three point line and score 26 points and Nash would have 20 and 11, we would still win, I would take it."

(On confidence of DeSagana Diop)
"Well, I think the beauty of it is, you know, when we cut his minutes down in the last series, and then when he came back for Game 7, he looks a little reenergized now. And he had that broken nose, and he was in bad shape coming into this series. And he didn't get on the court that first game. But he seemed to have recovered from the broken nose and just learning how to, you know, deal with that now. And he's doing a lot of little things for us. And for him to be able to play 29 minutes, you know, at this pace, boy, we need it because we need his interior defense in a bad way."

(On technical fouls on Phoenix down the stretch)
"You know, it's a part of the game. I got one I thought it was a goal tending call basket interference call in Phoenix. So I got hit with one. And tonight they got hit with one. We got hit. So, again, it's a very intense series. This is two teams that are really warriors, that are going at it. Everybody wants the prize, you know. Everybody, they have scouts that scout and know all of our plays and we have scouts and coaches and players and everybody wants it and nobody is going to give in. And they got away from us the last game. We were fortunate to get away from them a little bit this game. But who knows what's going to happen from game to game. That's just how great of a series this is."

(On whether or not Mavs lack a killer instinct)
"Well, okay, lack of killer instinct at times. We are playing against the Phoenix Suns and we are one of four teams playing. So what happens in this situation is, it's hard to have a quote, unquote, killer instinct, because when you're beating a team, they're not just going to let you blow them out by 30 in the regular season like that may happen and you go on to the next city. It don't work like that. I hope we don't give up when we're down. They're not going to give up when they're down. They can score in bunches. All right? And we were able to make some shots tonight. So it's not really putting anybody away with a big lead. Obviously they beat us by 20 the last game, and kind of got away from us, but that's a rare deal during this time of the year."

(On Dirk Nowitzki and his 50 point performance)
"You know, it was pretty special what he did, and, you know, he was disappointed, you know, with the last game. And I'm not going to tell you everything that went on behind the scenes. But we were all disappointed."

(On defensive schemes for Steve Nash)
"Yeah, just give him about seven different looks, and one of the looks that we gave him, Tim Thomas showed us don't try that one again. So we'll throw that pick and roll defensive scheme out of the out of our play book."

Wow, he's almost as ******** as Shawn Marion.

U Know What I'm Sayin'......
:biglaugh:

Last edited:

TXBamanut

Reaction score
2-3 SECONDS
Well with that stopwatch we'd all lusting after getting those Wide Receivers who run 9.4 forties. Little exaggeration.

We've all seen the superstars in this league get that type of continuation...Dirk's got it before, Kobe, Lebron and Nash...

If anything, you should be ashamed of Bell and his cheap push in the back, after the whistle, after the ball had left Howard's hands, which was to accomlish nothing but try to injure Josh Howard. Clearly a bunch of crap.

Here's to a good and heated Game 6 in Phoenix...let's leave the 20 point victories behind and get back to the tight games. Go Mavs!

Last edited:

nowagimp

Reaction score
TXBamanut said:

The only difference is that Avery didn't lose him freakin' mind and get another tech because of it and the Mavericks didn't start running around like chickens with their heads cut off and fold immediately afterwards.

Fact is, Raja was like that when he was with the Mavs. It's all good if you choose to play that irritate other players with chippy stuff style, but if you do, you going to get called for it sooner or later. Just accept it and take it with the bad with the good that comes with his style of defense.

Like the Mavs did in game 4, you guys got beat...plain and simple.

I think you missed that it was the foul on Marion that ignited the Mavs run. Suns got pissed because they thought the calls were going against them during a critical juncture of the game starting with that play. Its not the overall number of fouls, its the ones that impact the game. It was a questionable call and sent him to the bench with the suns up 7. So the primary defender of Dirk goes to the bench, then Dirk just catches fire and the mavs go 10-0 run. With so many noncalls in that game, I think its hard to stomach a pivotal call like that one. Every night there are phantom calls and no calls, but some have a much bigger influence than others. Dirk played a great game, maybe the calls dont make the difference, and maybe they do.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TXBamanut said:
Well with that stopwatch we'd all lusting after getting those Wide Receivers who run 9.4 forties. Little exaggeration.

We've all seen the superstars in this league get that type of continuation...Dirk's got it before, Kobe, Lebron and Nash...

If anything, you should be ashamed of Bell and his cheap push in the back, after the whistle, after the ball had left Howard's hands, which was to accomlish nothing but try to injure Josh Howard. Clearly a bunch of crap.

Here's to a good and heated Game 6 in Phoenix...let's leave the 20 point victories behind and get back to the tight games. Go Mavs!
I know you're kidding, Raja's foul happened about a second after the whistle was blown and Howard was going to the basket (never dribbled after the initial foul). The Mavs have gotten so many "and 1" fouls in this series it's ridiculous and they probably would've given him the continuation if he made that shot. Watch the replay again because Raja's hand is on Howards side and there is a little shove, but nothing that warranted a technical. Terry took it even further by swiping down at Nash's nuts 2 seconds after the whistle blew. Some have said Terry had a closed fist, but i didn't see if he did or not.

TXBamanut

Reaction score
Suns got pissed because they thought the calls were going against them during a critical juncture
it's called "lost your composure" and it's usually followed by a loss.
The Mavs have gotten so many "and 1" fouls in this series it's ridiculous
Yep, that's it...that's the reason we're ahead, all those ridiculous refs...boy, I'm glad you cleared that up for me.
Some have said
Please...
Watch the replay again
Take your own advice...this time without the Suns shades on.

nowagimp

Reaction score
TXBamanut said:
it's called "lost your composure" and it's usually followed by a loss.Yep, that's it...that's the reason we're ahead, all those ridiculous refs...boy, I'm glad you cleared that up for me.Please...Take your own advice...this time without the Suns shades on.

How many bucket boys does Mark Cuban have???

TXBamanut

Reaction score
So the primary defender of Dirk goes to the bench
Actually, your primary defender on Dirk's worst game of the playoffs was Tim Thomas...
With so many noncalls in that game, I think its hard to stomach a pivotal call like that one. Every night there are phantom calls and no calls, but some have a much bigger influence than others.
That's something every NBA fan can howl about...right there with you. I've felt that there were terrible calls on the Mavs last night also, and in other games in the playoffs, but you can't blame the losses on them. At least, that's what all the "champions experts" keep saying...we fans in Dallas wouldn't know about that yet in the NBA. Our NBA team only has as many rings as Charles Barkley...what do we know about "duminating in the playoffs". :D

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even Charles Barkley (who rarely has anything positive to say about the Suns) said there shouldn't have been a technical foul on Raja Bell for that play and that D'Antoni has a legitimate beef with the refs. There's your unbiased eye who predicted a Dallas win in the series.

Mavzy

Go Mavs!
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
I think you missed that it was the foul on Marion that ignited the Mavs run. Suns got pissed because they thought the calls were going against them during a critical juncture of the game starting with that play. Its not the overall number of fouls, its the ones that impact the game. It was a questionable call and sent him to the bench with the suns up 7. So the primary defender of Dirk goes to the bench, then Dirk just catches fire and the mavs go 10-0 run. With so many noncalls in that game, I think its hard to stomach a pivotal call like that one. Every night there are phantom calls and no calls, but some have a much bigger influence than others. Dirk played a great game, maybe the calls dont make the difference, and maybe they do.

What constitutes the "critical juncture"? Is it when your team is trying to make a run or when my team is trying to make a run? Maybe my team is at its "critical juncture" because the refs sucked early in the game and gave your team an opportunity to go up in points or go to the line more with a disparity in foul calls going your team's way. Or maybe my team got the early calls and put your team in a huge hole, would that be critical? Look, you guys feel raped by the refs and we feel raped by the refs, rightly so, might I add! I've seen calls go against the Mavs and the Suns that I couldn't believe. Calling contact both ways, when none was there or letting a play go, when there was clearly contact. The refs suck, fortunately they suck both ways. Go to any message board, current or past, and see if the fans didn't think they got screwed by the refs. Bring on game six, should be fun, brings out the best in the Suns, when their backs are against the wall!!

nowagimp

Reaction score
Mavzy said:
What constitutes the "critical juncture"? Is it when your team is trying to make a run or when my team is trying to make a run?

"critical juncture" is near the end of a close game. Good enough?? Critical juncture is when your top rebounder and defender is forced to sit down near the end of a close game. As far as TT defending Dirk, yeah if TT isnt carrying the offense, he can defend, but he was carrying the offense. Dirk cannot even carry the offense and guard the opponents best player.

Mavzy

Go Mavs!
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
"critical juncture" is near the end of a close game. Good enough?? Critical juncture is when your top rebounder and defender is forced to sit down near the end of a close game. As far as TT defending Dirk, yeah if TT isnt carrying the offense, he can defend, but he was carrying the offense. Dirk cannot even carry the offense and guard the opponents best player.

Stay with me for just a moment. Hypothetically speaking, if the refs were so biased early in a game, and that action allowed a team to get a 15 - 20 point lead that the other team couldn't overcome, then we would never have a "critical juncture", by your definition. Although, the team that was down would say the calls were critical to them. All I'm saying, is the refs can and yes, sometimes do cause "critical junctures" at any point in a game. As long as they even the calls out throughout a series (most of the time they do) then it's left up to the teams to make the difference. I, just like most other fans around the league feel like their team has been screwed by the refs on more than one occassion. But that's the point, we all feel that way.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Mavzy said:
Stay with me for just a moment. Hypothetically speaking, if the refs were so biased early in a game, and that action allowed a team to get a 15 - 20 point lead that the other team couldn't overcome, then we would never have a "critical juncture", by your definition. Although, the team that was down would say the calls were critical to them. All I'm saying, is the refs can and yes, sometimes do cause "critical junctures" at any point in a game. As long as they even the calls out throughout a series (most of the time they do) then it's left up to the teams to make the difference. I, just like most other fans around the league feel like their team has been screwed by the refs on more than one occassion. But that's the point, we all feel that way.

Yes, I agree that if an insurmountable lead is built(the suns generally dont build insurmountable leads), that would be a critical juncture. I did not state that critical juncture ONLY occur at the end of a close game, but if you look at the playoffs its much more likely that they occur at the end of the game. In this game it so happens, like most playoff games, that the critical juncture occurred near the end of the game. I'll take ref favoritism/bias at the end of the game over the beginning every time. I also dont suggest that the suns are always or even frequently the victims of biased officiating, but the suns have had some bad calls change game outcomes this year in the playoffs.

I cant speak for the Mavs/Griz as I only watched the spurs series, but it appeared that with the possible exception of Duncan going over the back on the Mavs several times at "critical junctures", that the Mavs were treated well against the spurs. Spurs fans bitch about some of the calls Dirk was getting against Bowen, but I saw only one call that Dirk got against Bowen that was really bogus.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Mavzy said:
As long as they even the calls out throughout a series (most of the time they do) then it's left up to the teams to make the difference. I, just like most other fans around the league feel like their team has been screwed by the refs on more than one occassion. But that's the point, we all feel that way.

I dont agree that its OK if the calls even out, because its not so simple. If your best player picks up his 5th foul at the end of the 3rd quarter, how do you even it out? Cant be done unless you rapidly ring up the opposing teams best player with his 5th, and then is that really even. The only solution is to call all fouls, and call them consistently from the beginning to the end of the game, and that hasnt been done much this post season. The concept of no-calls and then make up calls doesnt work. One wrong doesnt right another.

Mavzy

Go Mavs!
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
I dont agree that its OK if the calls even out, because its not so simple. If your best player picks up his 5th foul at the end of the 3rd quarter, how do you even it out? Cant be done unless you rapidly ring up the opposing teams best player with his 5th, and then is that really even. The only solution is to call all fouls, and call them consistently from the beginning to the end of the game, and that hasnt been done much this post season. The concept of no-calls and then make up calls doesnt work. One wrong doesnt right another.

I agree, wish this was done more consistently. Then, it actually places the onus on the players to play within the rules and win the games. But we live in a fantasy world if we think that will happen! I will concede :(, that at times a single foul on a particular player can change the complexion of the game as well as the momentum. When that happens, the refs have potentially skewed the outcome. I'm just not convinced it happens as much as we fans like to think it does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05