Suns @ Nuggets Game Thread

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
ESPN:

The highlight of the first half came when an official whistled Miller for a foul on Jones. The official mistakenly ruled that Jones was shooting when fouled and also that he was beyond the arc. With a sheepish grin, Jones sank all three foul shots.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I know Carmelo supposedly had a good game, but I think his game sucks ass. His main move is to Shaq bulldoze his defender on a drive to the basket (lowered shoulder to the defenders chest, spin and elbow the guy, then use his off arm to make sure the defender can't recover and block the shot). He did hit some tough outside shots so I'll give him credit for that, but his inside game is garbage. It's one thing to go around the defender to the hoop like Shawn or Amare do, but he just spins into the defender and gets the call every time.

It's ironic, because Marion use to pull a lot to get OR's

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
planaria said:
ESPN:

The highlight of the first half came when an official whistled Miller for a foul on Jones. The official mistakenly ruled that Jones was shooting when fouled and also that he was beyond the arc. With a sheepish grin, Jones sank all three foul shots.

Oh yeah, that call impacted the game a lot more than all the bad calls in OVERTIME!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
chiunit said:
Plus the shot he made the possession before couldn't be considered clutch I guess...

I was clutch but not a buzzer beater.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
planaria said:
It's ironic, because Marion use to pull a lot to get OR's
huh? Marion jumps higher and quicker than anyone else in the NBA. Half the time he's in the air before the shot is coming off the rim......how does he have time to pull and grab people to get position? He hardly ever boxes out and he swoops in and outjumps people for the ball. If you knew Shawn's game at all then you know he shys away from contact and relies on athleticism to rebound.

OP
OP
ProdigalSun

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I know Carmelo supposedly had a good game, but I think his game sucks ass. His main move is to Shaq bulldoze his defender on a drive to the basket (lowered shoulder to the defenders chest, spin and elbow the guy, then use his off arm to make sure the defender can't recover and block the shot). He did hit some tough outside shots so I'll give him credit for that, but his inside game is garbage. It's one thing to go around the defender to the hoop like Shawn or Amare do, but he just spins into the defender and gets the call every time.

And when the ref doesn't make the call Karl goes into status epilepticus over there on the sidelines...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
1. The officiating was bad for both sides. I'd have to watch the game again to figure out which team got the benefit. The Suns got some officiating breaks even in the last overtime, such as the phantom out-of-bounds call against the Denver player who was balanced on his heels.

2. It was fine to have House take the last shot. He didn't get a good look, but you aren't going to under those circumstances, so you might as well draw up the play for someone who's capable of making junk.

3. Chris_Sanders is right about how bad Marion was. He sleepwalked through the whole game except for a few minutes at the start of the third overtime. He couldn't guard Anthony at all and kept fumbling passes going to the rim. Maybe he wasn't feeling well.

4. House didn't play much earlier in the game because he was completely ineffective on both sides of the floor. He has shot better than 40% only once in the last six games, but since we're only allowed on this board to talk about the good things he does, I haven't brought it up.

5. This team needs to avoid overtime for a while. I'm starting to get concerned about the minutes Nash is logging.

6. The difference between Najera and Ginobili is that Najera really is out of control, so his teammates are equally at risk. You'll never see Ginobili knee his teammate in the nose.

OP
OP
ProdigalSun

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are you sure it was a knee to the nose...it looked more like Najera was attempting a field goal and Melo's face happened to get in the way...

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
1. The officiating was bad for both sides. I'd have to watch the game again to figure out which team got the benefit. The Suns got some officiating breaks even in the last overtime, such as the phantom out-of-bounds call against the Denver player who was balanced on his heels.

2. It was fine to have House take the last shot. He didn't get a good look, but you aren't going to under those circumstances, so you might as well draw up the play for someone who's capable of making junk.

3. Chris_Sanders is right about how bad Marion was. He sleepwalked through the whole game except for a few minutes at the start of the third overtime. He couldn't guard Anthony at all and kept fumbling passes going to the rim. Maybe he wasn't feeling well.

4. House didn't play much earlier in the game because he was completely ineffective on both sides of the floor. He has shot better than 40% only once in the last six games, but since we're only allowed on this board to talk about the good things he does, I haven't brought it up.

5. This team needs to avoid overtime for a while. I'm starting to get concerned about the minutes Nash is logging.

6. The difference between Najera and Ginobili is that Najera really is out of control, so his teammates are equally at risk. You'll never see Ginobili knee his teammate in the nose.

I agree on all counts. However, I thought the Suns got the calls in the first 3quarters while the Nuggets got them in the 4th and overtimes. They were trapping, hustling, scrapping and playing hard while the Suns seemed to tire, and the calls reflected it. The altitude and natural letdown after a huge win may have had a lot to do with it. Overall, there were bad calls on both sides, so I don't blame the refs for this loss, especially after that Knick fiasco.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score

This too, is my biggest concern.

After the past two games it was said, Nash was suffering from the flu. If that doesn't sap you, a third overtime period almost certainly will. When is he going to get some decent time off? In the Philly game he sat out the 4th quarter, in the Miami game he had to be brought back in the 4th quarter, after the Suns had been up by 26 points. I thought the plan was to keep him to 30-34 minutes. If they don't cut back his, Marion's and Bell's minutes, Amare might as well stay out for the season, as they will all be burnt out. Fatigue also increases the chance of injury, not something the Suns need.

I also think a lot of the guys have had the flu over the past week, not just Nash.

One can only hope that Leandro makes a very speedy recovery in order to supply some respite. However, when he first returns he is going to be hadicapped by his conditioning, which will limit the minutes he can play.

Minutes averaged over the past 5 games
Marion 46.8 minues
Nash 42.4
Bell 42.6
Diaw 38
Thomas 33.8

Year to date, not including tonights game.
Marion 40.8
Nash 37
Bell 37.5
Diaw 33.1
Thomas 26.3

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
I think I recognized one of the refs from the infamous Knicks game--the one who looks like Rick Santorum.

jibikao

Reaction score
I watched the clip on NBA.com.

Looks like Melo is a great clutch shooter. How many shots has he made to finish the game? From what I know, this is like the 3-4th times. good god.

Yes, I think Nash is playing too many mins. Eddie should play a bit more if Barbosa is out.

jibikao

Reaction score
haverford said:
I think I recognized one of the refs from the infamous Knicks game--the one who looks like Rick Santorum.

Oh really? Let me go to espn phx forum. Somebody was supposed to follow this. lol

fordronken

Reaction score
Suns had every chance to win this game in regulation and choked. Their offense looked completely lost down the stretch of the 4th.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
It also occurred to me in the second overtime that the Suns risk wearing down the "old players," especially Nash and Thomas. A January game in Denver? Play Eddie some more and cross your fingers.....

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
- This is one of the rare times in an 82 game schedule in which Steve Nash will be outplayed by the opposing PG. Earl Boykins definitely got the better of him last night. Then again, Boykins had help from Eddie Najera.

That was the best job defending the Suns pick and roll I've seen all year.

- Tim Donagy is the crap official who also officiated the Knicks game. His poor officiating is contagious to the rest of the crew. My opinion of his was solidifed when he called Eddie House's "3 pointer" a "2 pointer" from the baseline. He was totally out of the play, and had no business making that determination.

- Earl Boykins is one of the best athletes I've EVER seen. To do what he does (and did), and being only 5'5"... is simply remarkable. He just ridiculously talented. Props to him.

- Najera is a pain in the ass.

- Carmelo is probably the best finisher under the hoop in the NBA outside of a guy names Lebron James. He finishes strong, and you better have help.

- Who the hell has been working with Earl Watson on his jumper? That guy is a wizard.

- James Jones will eventually turn into "Big Game" James. Nothing fazes him, and he should have been the top option on that last play. Especially, with his ability to draw contact.

- Marion had a so-so game. Big whup. It happens.

- Triple-overtime + 7 man rotation - 2 Fouled Out = Trouble

- Boris Diaw is one of the 20 most "complete" players in the NBA AT THIS TIME. I'm not riding his jock, but his talents are amazing. He needs to develop that jumper another 3-5 feet out, and finish stronger around the hole. Other than that, he's the complete player... and one who will play an important role in PHX's championship quest.

- Anybody else amazed that Utah is a #3 seed a the moment?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

Really? As much as I hate Melo the prima donna, I really respect his game. He's great at feeling the contact and spinning away from it. I didn't watch too closely but I didn't see much off arm use or elbow maliciousness. He did lower his shoulder a few times but then again, so does Amare, and he gets the call usually too so I don't see it as that big of an issue. His size and length really bothered Marion who couldn't figure out how to guard him effectively.

The guy I thought was bulldozing more was Andre Miller.

Last edited:

NugzFan

Registered
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
I absolutely hate watching this game on the Denver network. There announcers are absolutely the most homer, whiney ass announcers I have ever heard.

then you havent heard many of the OTHER announcers in the league.

NugzFan

Registered
Reaction score
great game guys - amazing game. im glad neither of us have to play tonight...

NugzFan

Registered
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
You're kidding right? You must be.

Suns in foul trouble:

Nash 6
Diaw 6
Marion 5
KT 5

Nugz in foul trouble:
Najera 5
Watson 5

That's 4 starters for the Suns in foule trouble (or out) and 2 bench players for the Nugz in trouble.......

3 pters taken: suns 35, denver 17

NugzFan

Registered
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Oh yeah, that call impacted the game a lot more than all the bad calls in OVERTIME!

gotta be fair - bad calls on both ends. its possible if the calls were all fair there wouldnt have been an overtime because we would have already won.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
I thought the Suns got the calls in the first 3quarters while the Nuggets got them in the 4th and overtimes. They were trapping, hustling, scrapping and playing hard while the Suns seemed to tire, and the calls reflected it. The altitude and natural letdown after a huge win may have had a lot to do with it. Overall, there were bad calls on both sides, so I don't blame the refs for this loss, especially after that Knick fiasco.
Exactly.

jibikao

Reaction score
sly fly said:
- This is one of the rare times in an 82 game schedule in which Steve Nash will be outplayed by the opposing PG. Earl Boykins definitely got the better of him last night. Then again, Boykins had help from Eddie Najera.

That was the best job defending the Suns pick and roll I've seen all year.

- Tim Donagy is the crap official who also officiated the Knicks game. His poor officiating is contagious to the rest of the crew. My opinion of his was solidifed when he called Eddie House's "3 pointer" a "2 pointer" from the baseline. He was totally out of the play, and had no business making that determination.

- Earl Boykins is one of the best athletes I've EVER seen. To do what he does (and did), and being only 5'5"... is simply remarkable. He just ridiculously talented. Props to him.

- Najera is a pain in the ass.

- Carmelo is probably the best finisher under the hoop in the NBA outside of a guy names Lebron James. He finishes strong, and you better have help.

- Who the hell has been working with Earl Watson on his jumper? That guy is a wizard.

- James Jones will eventually turn into "Big Game" James. Nothing fazes him, and he should have been the top option on that last play. Especially, with his ability to draw contact.

- Marion had a so-so game. Big whup. It happens.

- Triple-overtime + 7 man rotation - 2 Fouled Out = Trouble

- Boris Diaw is one of the 20 most "complete" players in the NBA AT THIS TIME. I'm not riding his jock, but his talents are amazing. He needs to develop that jumper another 3-5 feet out, and finish stronger around the hole. Other than that, he's the complete player... and one who will play an important role in PHX's championship quest.

- Anybody else amazed that Utah is a #3 seed a the moment?

Timberwolves is a big letdown. You know how many people say KG "could have" been a lot better if he has better players around him. It seems like the media always blame the people who play with KG rather than blaming on KG HIMSELF.

I know most fans think KG is like almost-Duncan like who has the best stats in the league. He has a lot of rebounds (well, he doesn't have many this year), can score and assist and probably block too.

But I like how Pippen described KG. His stats don't make him all that GODLY. If you want me to pick, I would pick Dirk over him just because Dirk has had more success in the playoff than he does even though I know most of you and GM would pick KG over Dirk. Personal taste I guess.

I think Melo has that killer instinct that Lebron doesn't have yet. I don't know how many times I've seen this title "Melo finished with XX seconds left". He did that against Rocket not too long ago I think. He can really hit big shots.

jibikao

Reaction score
As for refs not being fair...

I don't think this one is nearly as bad as the Knicks' one. That game is outrageously fcked up.

Judging from the boxscore, Nugget has his share of home court treatment and there is nothing wrong with it. We play at their home.

And I don't think Nash, D'Antoni or Marion mention that the calls were all that bad. I know Nash said we had plenty of chances to finish the game. Nuggets played hard and they got the win...

and I think somebody on this board mentioned that teams that play against Suns seem to play better than what they really are. I think I have to agree now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05