Suns offer Amare maximum contract extension worth an estimated $110 million

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IF this was true, we would all be reading this and seeing it on every sports show!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I wish the majority would understand that the alternative to this is getting nothing for Amare or signing someone like Tyrus Thomas as a replacement for 6-8M$ per year and not having the MLE.

It is better to sign Amare then lose him for nothing and offer the full MLE to someone like Morrow who is a perfect fit and would make Barbosa irrelevant.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wish the majority would understand that the alternative to this is getting nothing for Amare or signing someone like Tyrus Thomas as a replacement for 6-8M$ per year and not having the MLE.

It is better to sign Amare then lose him for nothing and offer the full MLE to someone like Morrow who is a perfect fit and would make Barbosa irrelevant.

You did read how much money it is, right? You want to cripple the franchise for years to come, or go through a rough patch for only a few?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Coro is usually pretty good at addressing these types of rumors, especially if they appear on reputable websites, whether it's in his blog or on twitter.

He hasn't mentioned anything about this all day. So take that for what it's worth.

I'll try to track him down today and see if I can get his response to it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did read how much money it is, right? You want to cripple the franchise for years to come, or go through a rough patch for only a few?

People said the same thing when the Magic signed Rashard Lewis to the max. Do you think that signing crippled the franchise?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can tell you which one Sarver would prefer. The one where people come and see his team for years. Signing Nash to an extension pretty much told everyone this franchise is not interested in playing for ping pong balls.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh... yea. I do. Lewis was never, ever worth the Max deal he received.

What's so crippling about making the Eastern Conference finals and the NBA finals in successive years?

Worth and market value are different.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What's so crippling about making the Eastern Conference finals and the NBA finals in successive years?

Worth and market value are different.

You mean other than the fact that he's their highest paid player, gave them minimal production against the only team that challenged them, and oh yeah, he's completely untradeable?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean other than the fact that he's their highest paid player, gave them minimal production against the only team that challenged them, and oh yeah, he's completely untradeable?

See the repsonse from reccless... $110 MILLION for Lewis??? You can't be serious...

You guys are missing the point. Even though Lewis isn't playing up to his contract, the team's success is proof that it hasn't crippled the franchise.

Try seeing the forest through the trees.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. Even though Lewis isn't playing up to his contract, the team's success is proof that it hasn't crippled the franchise.

Try seeing the forest through the trees.

DCR - I would bet a large sum of money that if you were to ask anyone affiliated with the Magic how they feel about spending $110 MILLION on Lewis, they would immediately reach for a barf-bag!

The team has had success, in spite of the situation with Lewis. Just think what they might have gotten had they spent $110 MILLION in other ways. It's speculation of course, but chances are that had they not been pinned down by the Lewis contract, the Magic could very well have been heading to another NBA Final tonight....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCR - I would bet a large sum of money that if you were to ask anyone affiliated with the Magic how they feel about spending $110 MILLION on Lewis, they would immediately reach for a barf-bag!

The team has had success, in spite of the situation with Lewis. Just think what they might have gotten had they spent $110 MILLION in other ways. It's speculation of course, but chances are that had they not been pinned down by the Lewis contract, the Magic could very well have been heading to another NBA Final tonight....

How so? Without his 18M this year, Orlando would still be well over the cap.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Even though Lewis isn't playing up to his contract, the team's success is proof that it hasn't crippled the franchise.

But it was Lewis's contract that prevented them from keeping Turkoglu, who was a much better fit than Carter. Even with the other off-season improvements they made, they took a step back this year, and Lewis's contract is probably the single biggest reason. Furthermore, it's only going to get worse.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I actually kind of agree with DCR on this one. The supposition that a franchise is crippled by giving one player who is a questionable max player a max contract is wrong. Obviously I'd love to get Wade/Kobe or Lebron, but it ain't happening. A team can pay multiple players max contracts and still be able to fill in pieces. I'm not saying it's the best decision in this particular case, but you can pay a questionable max with max money and succeed. (Although with a new CBA, Amare's inury/defense/rebound issues, it could really kick us in the nuts)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I actually kind of agree with DCR on this one. The supposition that a franchise is crippled by giving one player who is a questionable max player a max contract is wrong. Obviously I'd love to get Wade/Kobe or Lebron, but it ain't happening. A team can pay multiple players max contracts and still be able to fill in pieces. I'm not saying it's the best decision in this particular case, but you can pay a questionable max with max money and succeed. (Although with a new CBA, Amare's inury/defense/rebound issues, it could really kick us in the nuts)

Sure, there's always a chance that something like that can happen. But the odds of it being successful are pretty long. There's a point where the best decision is the chance you DON'T take. If by the end of Lewis' contract the Magic haven't won a title, do you think they'll consider the signing a success?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But it was Lewis's contract that prevented them from keeping Turkoglu, who was a much better fit than Carter. Even with the other off-season improvements they made, they took a step back this year, and Lewis's contract is probably the single biggest reason. Furthermore, it's only going to get worse.

Turkeyglue makes between 9-12 per, Vince is at 16-18...was it an either or proposition? Either way, Hedo was a much better fit at a big discount.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I honestly cant believe someone is using rashard lewis's contract as as an arguing point about not crippling a franchise.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

No doubt. And their return on being over the cap has sucked... I'm merely suggesting that had they spent that money elsewhere (I think we need to agree that if they hadn't spent it on Lewis, they would have still spent some or all of it somewhere else), they might have been able to pick up one or more players who would have actually provided a better compliment/more of an impact/contributed more... Maybe not.

16 points per game and 5 boards per game over is career with the Magic... could get that and more elsewhere...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sure, there's always a chance that something like that can happen. But the odds of it being successful are pretty long. There's a point where the best decision is the chance you DON'T take. If by the end of Lewis' contract the Magic haven't won a title, do you think they'll consider the signing a success?

I don't know. It was one decision among many that either worked or didn't. I do know they were in the finals last year, and the ECF this year, which would indicate it wasn't all that stupid. Considering we haven't been in the finals since 93, I'd say that while the contract was bad, it certainly didn't seem to "cripple" the Magic.

Again, the question is, is the risk in signing Amare, a dominant offensive big man worth the amount he'll make? It could either work out well, with us continuing to contend, and building around him, or it could be a disaster, with Amare being injured constantly and the franchise crippled by his contract. I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I honestly cant believe someone is using rashard lewis's contract as as an arguing point about not crippling a franchise.

I'd love to see how you argue that the Magic are crippled. They were IN THE FINALS LAST YEAR, and went to the ECF this year. It was a stupid signing, but explain to me how they are crippled.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

But it's left them with little flexibility. They obviously need to make changes if they want to win a title but it will be difficult since they have a lot of large contracts with multiple years. They're looking to unload Gortat who is also grossly over paid imo, they likely won't be able to afford to bring over Fran Vasquez even if he wants to come, they probably won't be able to afford Matt Barnes once he opts out and will have to find a similar bargain FA this year.

They have over 50mil per year invested long term in a core of Howard/Gortat/Nelson/Lewis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05