Suns offer Amare maximum contract extension worth an estimated $110 million

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice try at a cheap shot. I mistakenly assumed you were above this junk. BTW, where exactly did I attack, spin, twist or fumble my way through a simple, factual statement? And why the name calling (clown - king of debate club)?

I can now add to the list. Sports fans talk about championships and then resort to childish behavior whenever it suits their purpose.

Steve
Then tell me what your argument is with my statement?
Sports fans talk about championships
Nothing personal Steve....
You don't have to agree with me,but your style of posting is Elindholm 1a (in my opinion) and i find it amusing when folks attempt to debate simple facts rather than actual material that provides a viable point/counterpoint argument.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
For E and Steve: It's not about who's right or wrong. You two clowns don't even know what you're debating here. It's really amusing to watch you attack,spin,twist and fumble your way thru a simple,factual statement....just in order to accomplish......what exactly?

I'm fully convinced that you two just miss the good ole times,maybe back in high school when you were each King of the Debate Club....

Oh, and...sports fans talk about championships.
:)

Impressive work. You turned an interesting conversation into a childish grade school attack. Probably a comprehension issue, just stick to high level discussions like "sports fans talk about championships". They're more your speed.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Impressive work. You turned an interesting conversation into a childish grade school attack. Probably a comprehension issue, just stick to high level discussions like "sports fans talk about championships". They're more your speed.
Sports fans talk about championships.
:)
Update:Celtics up 10 on the Lakers in the 2nd qtr.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nice try at a cheap shot. I mistakenly assumed you were above this junk. BTW, where exactly did I attack, spin, twist or fumble my way through a simple, factual statement? And why the name calling (clown - king of debate club)?

I can now add to the list. Sports fans talk about championships and then resort to childish behavior whenever it suits their purpose.

Steve

Maybe it's not exactly attacking, but more an arrogant presumption on your point. Which, in the scheme of things, belongs to every sports fan in some way, on both sides of this equation, me, cheesebeef and Eric included.

You do come across as "holier than thou", but hey, we all do most of the time on a sports message board. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think that's roughly when it started but I don't think it resonated with the average fan just yet. You started hearing it on ESPN and the various sports talk shows but it was probably a decade later before it became commonplace, IMO. In 1992 remember, there was still a much greater number of fans that were not influenced by talk shows and newsgroups. The process was certainly underway I just don't think it became a trend until sometime later.

Like I said, the first time I ever heard the needs-championship-for-validation conversations routinely was just before Elway won his first Super Bowl. And I remember being astounded when I first heard someone refer to Buffalo as a "loser" because they made it to 3 Super Bowls without winning it all. In conversations with my era fans we were all taken aback by that label.

Steve

I think you're confusing things here. Nobody is calling the Suns "losers" because they haven't won a title. We're saying that winning a title is the most important thing about our professional fandom. I don't think that's a stretch to say.

Like I said before, one title is worth a long amount of time of being average or below average. Buffalo isn't a good example, because even though they didn't win the Super Bowl, they were good for a good amount of years. And you can't tell me, Buffalo fans wouldn't feel at least a little better now if they had won one of those 3 Super Bowls back then.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're confusing things here. Nobody is calling the Suns "losers" because they haven't won a title. We're saying that winning a title is the most important thing about our professional fandom. I don't think that's a stretch to say.

I don't disagree that winning a championship is the most important thing. That's a different conversation. But the Suns=losers argument shows up frequently on boards that allow trash talking.

And you can't tell me, Buffalo fans wouldn't feel at least a little better now if they had won one of those 3 Super Bowls back then.

Bills fans would feel a lot better if they had won any of those Super Bowl trips. I just don't think it should have been necessary in order to validate how special their run was. My point was that in the 70's people would have remarked favorably on their run but by the 90's it was considered almost an embarrassment by a lot of people.

Same thing for the Braves with all their great teams but only one win to show for it. It's just a comment on changing times and the degree to which ESPN and talk radio and the internet have shaped our perceptions.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's not exactly attacking, but more an arrogant presumption on your point.

I'm not sure how else to take his post than as a cheap shot. Is it usually a compliment to call someone a clown and then suggest they were on their high school debate squad. I've insulted people before, even intentionally, and I recognize such an attempt when I see one. It wasn't the end of the world or anything but I really hadn't thought the thread warranted the direction change.

You do come across as "holier than thou"

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then tell me what your argument is with my statement?

Although it's an accurate comment, I think it's simplistic to state "sports fans talk about championships" as if it answers all the questions and ends all the arguments.

I don't have a problem with other people worshipping at the altar of the holy championship but it's just not the way I grew up. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on this subject, merely pointing out that it wasn't always this way. Perhaps I'm mired in the past but one aspect of critical reasoning demands that you don't abandon your position simply because the majority disagrees with you.

As for my writing style, I guess I could try the "basketball are gud" technique employed by so many here.:)

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Although it's an accurate comment, I think it's simplistic to state "sports fans talk about championships" as if it answers all the questions and ends all the arguments.
Steve
Fair enough, although if you'll recall my original post that included this simplistic statement you'll find the context i was speaking from....which i thought was quite specific.

Again, nothing personal Steve,i've got quite a helluva of a toothache at the moment and i'm reduced to alternating Ibuprofen & acetaminophen every 4 hrs which is surely contributing to my feistyness.
I apologize if i offended you earlier.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, nothing personal Steve,i've got quite a helluva of a toothache at the moment and i'm reduced to alternating Ibuprofen & acetaminophen every 4 hrs which is surely contributing to my feistyness.I apologize if i offended you earlier.

I understand, it's for similar reasons that I overreacted to your comment. Watch the acetaminophen though, it's a killer.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
As far back as I can remember, which is over 50 years, winning the title was regarded as a validation of players, coaches and teams. Wilt Chamberlain outperformed Bill Russell when they went head to head but he wasn't regarded nearly as highly because Bill had the titles. The media commentators did say things like but so did the players, coaches and us fans as well. Normally, it was along the lines of it being a team game and what Bill did so well and Wilt didn't, was to have his team come out on top when it mattered the most.

Heck, I recall Red Auerbach pooh-poohing the regular season vs. what he called the real season - the playoffs. The title was the ultimate prize but having success in the playoffs was the second criteria. I can't say it with certainty but I think that was a fairly common outlook around the NBA, except for Phoenix. I know I was shocked to hear Jerry Colangelo bragging about the Suns having the second, or whatever it was, best record over a span of regular seasons... I mean that was a small step above bragging about winning pre-season games. What was even worse, he made decisions based on what would win in the regular season... it took me quite a while to realize that is what he was doing because, to me, it was simply too preposterous to contemplate.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05