Suns sign center, Mason Plumlee to a one year deal

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After thinking beyond the fact that he's seems to play okay against us... the more I think about this signing, the less I like it.

He is a vet, he will want minutes, he's never been an above average player... he's now 34.

Seriously... while he isn't terrible, what does do well?

I'd rather give minutes to the rookie or Bol or some other young hungry player than an old, vet who's teams have consistently been better when he's off the floor.

Maybe we are planning on running a lot more screens (something we were bottom 5 at last year)... he can set a screen.

But, I suppose if you only can offer min contracts, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I used to hate and admire this guy when we played the clips. I would think I would like to have him as our center? Now with my wish granted, hopefully not to be a regret later. Definitely an upgrade from Eubanks who disappointed.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After thinking beyond the fact that he's seems to play okay against us... the more I think about this signing, the less I like it.

He is a vet, he will want minutes, he's never been an above average player... he's now 34.

I'd rather give minutes to the rookie or Bol or some other young hungry player than an old, vet who's teams have consistently been better when he's off the floor.

Maybe we are planning on running a lot more screens (something we were bottom 5 at last year)... he can set a screen.

Backups play about 15 minutes a game depending on matchups. Sometimes more, sometimes less. This is right where he was last season with the Clippers.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

There is a relative dearth of good centers in the NBA. Plumlee is a rotational piece and that's it. He's better than Eubanks.
Eh I think that going with the young guys can be an even worse move. Bol looked pretty solid but he isn't exactly a proven NBA player.

The Suns unfortunately are stuck try to hit on the bargains.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can have too many players—especially vets.

They should only sign one point guard. Choose wisely.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Might want to talk to the Celtics about it.

The Celtics have a very solidified top 8, they know their jobs, they don't have guys at the 10, 11, 12 spots on their bench expecting to see serious action.

IMO, that is very different than having your 5-12 roster spots fighting for and expecting legit rotation minutes and only giving it to a few of them.

If some dude signs here, feeling like they took a discount because they thought they'd get court time on a good team and they end up glued to the bench, they're not going to like it.

I'm not saying we should pass on talent, but if we sign 4 guys who all think they're going to be the backup guard, or 3 backup centers, we're going to have a lot of unhappy players.

Anyone we bring in now should either represent a clear upgrade to the rotation or a player who would be happy with any kind of role on a team of our, supposed, caliber.

Also, I really hope we give these rookies, Oso and Dunn a real shot to play. They might be whiffs but we'll never know unless we give them some playing time and leeway to play through mistakes. If we're going to stay relevant beyond the next year or 2 it will require developing some talent with what assets we do have.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Also, I really hope we give these rookies, Oso and Dunn a real shot to play. They might be whiffs but we'll never know unless we give them some playing time and leeway to play through mistakes. If we're going to stay relevant beyond the next year or 2 it will require developing some talent with what assets we do have.
Anybody know Bud's history on playing rookies?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Celtics have a very solidified top 8, they know their jobs, they don't have guys at the 10, 11, 12 spots on their bench expecting to see serious action.

IMO, that is very different than having your 5-12 roster spots fighting for and expecting legit rotation minutes and only giving it to a few of them.

If some dude signs here, feeling like they took a discount because they thought they'd get court time on a good team and they end up glued to the bench, they're not going to like it.

I'm not saying we should pass on talent, but if we sign 4 guys who all think they're going to be the backup guard, or 3 backup centers, we're going to have a lot of unhappy players.

Anyone we bring in now should either represent a clear upgrade to the rotation or a player who would be happy with any kind of role on a team of our, supposed, caliber.

I was mostly pointing out the Celtics value their point guards: Jrue Holiday, Derrick White and Payton Pritchard. Actually, they had five on their roster.

I believe in the 3 x 5 concept if the GM has the right players that know their role. The Suns had trouble finding 6–7 players that could rotate.

The Suns problem was not an overabundance of talent.

Superbone

Reaction score
I was mostly pointing out the Celtics value their point guards: Jrue Holiday, Derrick White and Payton Pritchard. Actually, they had five on their roster.

I believe in the 3 x 5 concept if the GM has the right players that know their role. The Suns had trouble finding 6–7 players that could rotate.

The Suns problem was not an overabundance of talent.
Didn't James Jones use to preach the 3 x 5 concept? What happened last season?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't James Jones use to preach the 3 x 5 concept? What happened last season?

Yeah, James Jones said he believed in the 3 x 5 concept. I guess he ran out of money and ended up just trying to find players that could play.

The Isaiah Thomas signing was a real puzzler.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The last couple rookies we had, Camara and Stix, really didn't get much time at all to develop before they were shipped out. Begging the question, why were they drafted in the first place?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, James Jones said he believed in the 3 x 5 concept. I guess he ran out of money and ended up just trying to find players that could play.

The Isaiah Thomas signing was a real puzzler.
I still think that one was a front office versus coach beef. Vogel eventually said he wanted a point guard and they wouldn't give him one. James Jones getting Isaiah seemed like a "here you go then, can't say I didn't give you a PG move." Vogel seemed like he was REFUSING to even give Isaiah a chance at all. Like he had his mind made up before the guy even suited up for us. It was a really strange play the way it worked out.

Superbone

Reaction score
The last couple rookies we had, Camara and Stix, really didn't get much time at all to develop before they were shipped out. Begging the question, why were they drafted in the first place?
I think they liked Camara but Portland insisted he was included to make the Ayton trade. That was a much different situation than Stix.

Superbone

Reaction score
I still think that one was a front office versus coach beef. Vogel eventually said he wanted a point guard and they wouldn't give him one. James Jones getting Isaiah seemed like a "here you go then, can't say I didn't give you a PG move." Vogel seemed like he was REFUSING to even give Isaiah a chance at all. Like he had his mind made up before the guy even suited up for us. It was a really strange play the way it worked out.
But you have to admit, when IT did play, he didn't look good at all.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
But you have to admit, when IT did play, he didn't look good at all.
That's why I say James Jones was sticking it to Vogel. There were other guys available. Not some over the hill G league veteran. Almost immediately Vogel said don't expect him on the court unless it was a break in case of emergency moment. Then why get that guy? It looked bad. Why talk about a guy like that to the media, too? Poor look for Vogel and JJ.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns should have tried to lure point guard Raul Neto who went overseas. There were other candidates better suited to play than IT.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they liked Camara but Portland insisted he was included to make the Ayton trade. That was a much different situation than Stix.

As I recall, Stix played well under Kevin Young when Monty was out ill. Young let Stix play to his strengths.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns should have tried to lure point guard Raul Neto who went overseas. There were other candidates better suited to play than IT.

I think the guys in these situations are paid more overseas now, and are treated like royalty wherever they go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the guys in these situations are paid more overseas now, and are treated like royalty wherever they go.

Neto was in the NBA last season, although he reportedly was injured, so he might not have been able to help the Suns.

Most of the really good players still want to play in the NBA though.