Suns Sign Padgett....

asudevil83

Reaction score
Over on the Realgm.com suns board they are saying that on Fox 26 in Houston reported that the suns picked up 6'9 PF Scott Padgett.

I guess he's another one of those cheap bigger guys that will be rounding out our roster.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
#35 Scott Padgett Houston Rockets | Stats | Roster | NBA Index

PPG 4.2
RPG 2.8
BPG0.2

Height: 6-9

Weight: 240 lbs.

Pos: PF

Born: April 19, 1976, Louisville, KY

Drafted: 1999, 1st round, 28th pick by Jazz

College: Kentucky

SEASON STATS: PER GAME | TOTAL | PER 48 MINUTES REBOUNDS

YEAR G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS

2004-2005 66 0 14.3 1.5-3.5 .421 0.8-1.9 .397 0.4-0.6 .725 0.50 0.2 0.5 1.8 0.7 2.1 2.8 0.8 4.2

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
Over on the Realgm.com suns board they are saying that on Fox 26 in Houston reported that the suns picked up 6'9 PF Scott Padgett.

I guess he's another one of those cheap bigger guys that will be rounding out our roster.

If this is true I like it. He is at least a veteran big man that plays tough and he could actually see some playing time.

IMO, good pickup. :thumbup:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great backup big man who will thrive in our offense. :thumbup:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Shoots 40% from 3 point land. 50-126 only averaged 14 min. a game in 66 games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
so let me get this straight . . . so far our bench "bigs" are padgett, tischer, and burke? i hate to sound like my brother . . . but a bunch of white stiffs. they'll all get killed on defense. . .

padget is okay. he can stroke it, which is nice. but i'd rather have him than either tischer and burke instead of all of 'em.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Patricia's listed him with a two year contract for $1.76. NBA.com has him signing in 2003 (Patricia's shows 04 but is clearly wrong). Those numbers look like veteran minimum.

Scott Padgett
Houston Rockets
Position: F
Height: 6-9 Weight: 240
College : Kentucky '99
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 4.2
RPG 2.8
APG .8
SPG .50
BPG .15
FG% .421
FT% .725
3P% .397
MPG 14.3

He is a career 38.8% three point shooter. He's big enough, but not much of a rebounder with a career average of below .2 rebounds per minute. He's a better shooting version of McCarty.

Guess is that in signing Swift, he became expendible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
so let me get this straight . . . so far our bench "bigs" are padgett, tischer, and burke? i hate to sound like my brother . . . but a bunch of white stiffs. they'll all get killed on defense. . .

padget is okay. he can stroke it, which is nice. but i'd rather have him than either tischer and burke instead of all of 'em.

In defense of Tischer, he is very young and very raw. He is a good development player.

In defense of Burke? I'll have to wait and see. He is supposedly a banger and can hit the outside shot. Maybe he will be our enforcer. :D

Let's sign as many bigs as the Suns can afford and see who can play. I still covet an athletic 4/5 like Hunter, Diop or Lonnie Jones who can block some shots and perhaps rebound as well.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

Padgett essentially replaces McCarty, and is much better. Burke will probably surprise a few people with his toughness. Tischer won't see a minute on this court this season, but is an athletic freak with some decent potential.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
It's too bad the Suns couldn't wait for Austin Croshere. :p

I guess Padgett is an upgrade for McCarty, a more reliable shooter. I hope he plays well in short shifts.

With Burke and now Padgett, the theme for the Suns' vet. minimum players seems to be, they'd better be able to hit open shots...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
It's too bad the Suns couldn't wait for Austin Croshere. :p

I guess Padgett is an upgrade for McCarty, a more reliable shooter. I hope he plays well in short shifts.

With Burke and now Padgett, the theme for the Suns' vet. minimum players seems to be, they'd better be able to hit open shots...

Sounds like European basketball and I do not view this negatively.

It seems like the Suns are going to spread the court and then feed it inside out. I think the Suns want to keep defenses from collapsing on Amare. The Suns want five players on the court virtually all the time that can hit the open shot.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Sounds like European basketball and I do not view this negatively.

It seems like the Suns are going to spread the court and then feed it inside out. I think the Suns want to keep defenses from collapsing on Amare. The Suns want five players on the court virtually all the time that can hit the open shot.

That's what they wanted last year, too. IMO that was one of the main reasons their rotation was so short.

Maybe this season the 9th and 10th men will actually get some burn.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Padgett is a player. He can hit shots and moves pretty well.

He is undersized for a 'big man' but he does at least play in the front court. :)

I like it if true.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Padgett is a tough guy. You will like this white guy Ouchie.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Okay, I like this pick-up and the Suns almost Traded for him via the Trade Exemption (sp) that then turned out to be McCarty... :)

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
OK, Scott Pollard has to change his first name. That is who I immediately thought of. Nice to see Padgett got some playing time in the playoffs. Don't like the rebounding numbers, is he strictly an outside player, with his 3pt % and low rebound numbers it would appear so. He seems to have missed quite a number of games in the past two years. Does anyone know if they were due to injury or DNP CD?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
i agree with the general consensus. a definite dantoni guy. i wonder if that's good. i mean, 6'9'', but wants to stay on the perimeter and shoot 3's. offensively, that's fine.

defensively, i haven't seen him enough to know. some people have said he's hard-nosed. i need some more info there. we need guys that can come lay the wood, and no offense, but he's white... :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Padgett is a tough guy. You will like this white guy Ouchie.

yeah, i know who padgett is. i remember him from his days w/ kentucky. yeah he's tough and i like that he can shoot, but we need someone who can defend in the paint, and that's not his forte.

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
i'll tell you what, this is one of 3 guys i was hoping we would sign in order to help out our bench. my list in no particular order was raja bell, greg buckner, and scott padgett. but looking at our current roster, we wont need greg buckner.

but as for scott padgett, if you havent seen him play already, you will be a fan i promise. this is a guy who will definitely see time off the bench. i feel he is exactly the type of player we need.

but as for the rest of our roster...i doubt we're gonna re-sign hunter, so we're going to have to replace him with a shotblocker of some kind. but all in all, i think we need 2 more bigs, and see if we can get gary payton cheap to backup nash. if not, then we'll see how barbosa does during the season. if he isnt productive, we will definitely make a trade for a veteran backup for steve b4 the trading deadline.

virtual9

Reaction score
Isn't Padgett a Brian Cardinal clone - and didn't Cardinal make a ridiculous amount of money last year?

JHall

Veteran
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Patricia's listed him with a two year contract for $1.76. NBA.com has him signing in 2003 (Patricia's shows 04 but is clearly wrong). Those numbers look like veteran minimum.

Scott Padgett
Houston Rockets
Position: F
Height: 6-9 Weight: 240
College : Kentucky '99
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 4.2
RPG 2.8
APG .8
SPG .50
BPG .15
FG% .421
FT% .725
3P% .397
MPG 14.3

He is a career 38.8% three point shooter. He's big enough, but not much of a rebounder with a career average of below .2 rebounds per minute. He's a better shooting version of McCarty.

Guess is that in signing Swift, he became expendible.

Patricia's site is correct. He signed a two-year deal at the vet min, but he opted out a year early.

I suspect he either got the lower-level exception or maybe even the remainder of the MLE.

King A

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't our remainder of the MLE less than the vet min or the LLE. I.e. around 700k

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
what is vets minimum? like 1.8 mill? the official numbers on raja bell's contract wont be disclosed until later, but i think that padgett's contract is in that area.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
PakistaniRambo said:
what is vets minimum? like 1.8 mill? the official numbers on raja bell's contract wont be disclosed until later, but i think that padgett's contract is in that area.

It should be about 1 million with Padget's experience.

Not sure what you meant about being "in that area".......

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
It should be about 1 million with Padget's experience.

Not sure what you meant about being "in that area".......

does that take into account the supposed raises in the veteran minimum in the new CBA?

My guess is that Padgett signs here to increase his value. He's got to know that this is probably his best chance to put up nice numbers.

Joe