Suns trade for Beal

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's interesting is how much hate Bradley Beal seems to be getting from Wizards, Heat, and other fans. Basically his NTC made him able to negotiate his landing spot and what that team could part with. Some rumors say he declined the deal if the Wiz received Ayton, perhaps knowing we'd need him or the assets he'd bring in to go with the big 3. Wizard fans don't even seem to be wishing him well.
Interesting but fortunately meaningless to us. I'm okay being hated if it gets us a championship and I'm sure that's true of most here. So screw the Wizards and their fans - unless one of them can cast a health spell on our team they are irrelevant. And yes, with the way Beal handled this I'm sure I'd be over the top pissed if we were the team losing him for almost nothing.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's interesting is how much hate Bradley Beal seems to be getting from Wizards, Heat, and other fans. Basically his NTC made him able to negotiate his landing spot and what that team could part with. Some rumors say he declined the deal if the Wiz received Ayton, perhaps knowing we'd need him or the assets he'd bring in to go with the big 3. Wizard fans don't even seem to be wishing him well.

You gotta put yourself in the Wizard's position. We'd be crushed as a fan base if it happened to us. It would be apoplectic around here.

Last edited:

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You gotta put yourself in the Wizards position. We'd be crushed as a fan base if it happened to us. It would be apoplectic around here.
Exactly. I’m from DC. The Wizards haven’t been past the 2nd round in 44 years. I used to go to games growing up with Gilbert Arenas. He was so fun to watch but that’s almost 20 years ago.

They had the sweep of Toronto I think 2016 but then lost round 2 to the Celtics I believe. Beal definitely played them. They gave him money he probably didn’t actually deserve.

He was kinda viewed as a Booker honestly, empty stats/bad team kinda guy. The NTC they gave him was dumb. They hung on too long.

I hope Brad is ok being a 3rd option because that’s what he’ll be next to KD and Book.

But if he can come off screens and get close to 40% from 3, I’ll be happy with that.

We still need to get better defensively. Let’s say we play Denver…who’s guarding Murray? I don’t want to waste Book’s energy chasing him around but Brad isn’t a good defender.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I thought it was the Wizards who declined having Ayton in the trade

In fact, if CP3 and Sham-wow (along with some #2 picks) are all the Wizards got for Beal... I still think we'll end up getting waaaay less (if anything) for Ayton

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Beal and his driving skills are going to help keep teams honest in the paint, we may be on Denver's level as far as offense goes. More I think about this trade the more I like it

Yeah, I think Booker and Beal will complement each other with their complete array of skills to shoot outside and get to the basket.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the Wizards who declined having Ayton in the trade

In fact, if CP3 and Sham-wow (along with some #2 picks) are all the Wizards got for Beal... I still think we'll end up getting waaaay less (if anything) for Ayton
That's really an unfair comparison. Beal's no trade clause kept the Wizards from getting anywhere near full value for him. And if you ignore Beal's injury risks, there's no way in the world DA will bring equivalent value as Bradley is legit. I've been saying all along that I doubt we'll get much for Ayton but it's partly because of his contract. He has value on the court but it is significantly less than his salary and I expect most teams to be reluctant to trade value for an upside down contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really an unfair comparison. Beal's no trade clause kept the Wizards from getting anywhere near full value for him. And if you ignore Beal's injury risks, there's no way in the world DA will bring equivalent value as Bradley is legit. I've been saying all along that I doubt we'll get much for Ayton but it's partly because of his contract. He has value on the court but it is significantly less than his salary and I expect most teams to be reluctant to trade value for an upside down contract.

If money is not an issue, the Suns should keep Ayton until the right trade comes along.

The Suns will need the threat of an inside game and a defensive anchor in the middle, providing Frank Vogel can get that out of him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had time to read up on the Beal trade from the Washington side, but I thought it was their decision to trade him so that is on their front office.

However, from the fan side, I would be upset the Wizards didn't get more in trade for him, so I understand their feelings.

With that said, it's nice to win a trade. It helps make up for the steep price the Suns paid for Durant.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interesting but fortunately meaningless to us. I'm okay being hated if it gets us a championship and I'm sure that's true of most here. So screw the Wizards and their fans - unless one of them can cast a health spell on our team they are irrelevant. And yes, with the way Beal handled this I'm sure I'd be over the top pissed if we were the team losing him for almost nothing.
I’d agree with this. But in time if I were a wiz fan I’d get it over it bc Beal could have left that team and always chose to remain with Washington. Even now I don’t think it was him demanding a grade, it was the front office looking to get off the contract. Good for Beal for making sure he has the no trade clause and got the best situation he could control. I’d be much angry with the organization (like I blame the cardinals much more than Hopkins).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This deal ONLY happens because Beal has the full no-trade clause, and said he wanted to come here. What a coup, a top 30 player for guys we were trying to dump.

Our biggest problem has been a reliable 3rd scoring option - you could see last year in the playoffs that the burden on Book/Durant was too much. Now we've acquired one of the best scorers in the NBA, and should stagger at least 2 of the 3 on the court at all times, meaning really easy shots for all 3.

Didn't see this one coming at all. Doesn't happen without a full no-trade clause.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This deal ONLY happens because Beal has the full no-trade clause, and said he wanted to come here. What a coup, a top 30 player for guys we were trying to dump.

Our biggest problem has been a reliable 3rd scoring option - you could see last year in the playoffs that the burden on Book/Durant was too much. Now we've acquired one of the best scorers in the NBA, and should stagger at least 2 of the 3 on the court at all times, meaning really easy shots for all 3.

Didn't see this one coming at all. Doesn't happen without a full no-trade clause.

The first paragraph is taking awhile to sink in... plus, the Suns still have Ayton. I couldn't dream this stuff up if I wanted too.

And the Suns used 2nd round picks and swaps to do it. Unbelievable.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The first paragraph is taking awhile to sink in... plus, the Suns still have Ayton. I couldn't dream this stuff up if I wanted too.

And the Suns used 2nd round picks and swaps to do it. Unbelievable.
I really hope we're not taking anything we can get for Ayton - we have no other trade assets, and selling low on him at this point doesn't seem to be much of a win. Perhaps as the 4th option with a new coach he'll be more effective. Hell, if he just focused on being a beast at the rim both in D and rebounding we'd be in much better shape.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the story with Beal, as I understand it, is he got the Supermax a couple years back when he made All-NBA became eligible for it. That was also the year he won the scoring title. So he negotiated the supermax extension with a NTC, in exchange for signing the early extension as Washington had plans of building a contender around him and the supermax showed he was locked in for like 6 years and the trade clause was showing how player friendly they were. This was all done by the previous regime, who was then fired a little while later because they sucked and didn't make any moves to bring anyone in. Plus the previous front office were also the guys who gave Bertrans big money, so they weren't exactly smart with extensions or contracts. They sucked again this year and ownership having a new front office in place gave them the go ahead for a full rebuild. Tough to do that with a 29 year old Beal owed $50+ million a year for 5 years so they needed to deal him. Miami reportedly offered 2 1st round picks with Duncan Robinson and Kyle Lowry. Beal catches wind of Phoenix offer and says no to Miami he wants Phoenix but only if it's the deal for CP3 and he no longer is ok with Miami either. So he had them at his mercy. He played 2 front offices in Washington.

Washington fans have said they wish the front office held him ransom since they got so little, basically nothing. Of course that wasnt going to happen but Im surprised they didn't try calling Beal's hand and rolling him out with a bunch of scrubs and rookies but then, that's essentially been what they've done anyways. Washington now plans on becoming the OKC of the East, taking bad contracts for picks and helping facilitate moves for assets. They know they won't compete and happy, kind of, to have a direction. They seem Sarver-esque.

TLDR - Beal screwed Washington multiple times, in a roundabout way and then more directly. Supermax's are bad, so are NTC, and Supermax's with NTC's means that player now has the franchise at their mercy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What DEPTH did the Suns give up?

The two players the Suns got back are better than the two they gave up!

I don't think they realize Chris Paul was already out the door and the Suns get two players in return, one a top 30 player.

Additionally, the Suns still have Deandre Ayton. Most playoff teams only have an 8-man rotation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the story with Beal, as I understand it, is he got the Supermax a couple years back when he made All-NBA became eligible for it. That was also the year he won the scoring title. So he negotiated the supermax extension with a NTC, in exchange for signing the early extension as Washington had plans of building a contender around him and the supermax showed he was locked in for like 6 years and the trade clause was showing how player friendly they were. This was all done by the previous regime, who was then fired a little while later because they sucked and didn't make any moves to bring anyone in. Plus the previous front office were also the guys who gave Bertrans big money, so they weren't exactly smart with extensions or contracts. They sucked again this year and ownership having a new front office in place gave them the go ahead for a full rebuild. Tough to do that with a 29 year old Beal owed $50+ million a year for 5 years so they needed to deal him. Miami reportedly offered 2 1st round picks with Duncan Robinson and Kyle Lowry. Beal catches wind of Phoenix offer and says no to Miami he wants Phoenix but only if it's the deal for CP3 and he no longer is ok with Miami either. So he had them at his mercy. He played 2 front offices in Washington.

Washington fans have said they wish the front office held him ransom since they got so little, basically nothing. Of course that wasnt going to happen but Im surprised they didn't try calling Beal's hand and rolling him out with a bunch of scrubs and rookies but then, that's essentially been what they've done anyways. Washington now plans on becoming the OKC of the East, taking bad contracts for picks and helping facilitate moves for assets. They know they won't compete and happy, kind of, to have a direction. They seem Sarver-esque.

TLDR - Beal screwed Washington multiple times, in a roundabout way and then more directly. Supermax's are bad, so are NTC, and Supermax's with NTC's means that player now has the franchise at their mercy.

I don't have a bad word for the Wizards after the trade for Beal. :cool:

They likely rescued the Suns chance to be a contender.

With that said, I understand how their fans feel and if I were a Wizards fan, I'd be right there with them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

. . . and you’re mad at the player. Okay.

Players get traded without any say all the time. The one time a player - who had been loyal to his awful organization - gets some power he’s “screwing” the franchise. Smdh.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She may be struggling with the financial constraints the deal puts us in making it more challenging to add quality depth going forward...
If we don’t deal DA top four are extremely strong. We can resign Lansdale Torrey, Craig and a couple others, and probably attract a couple of veterans who will sign for less just to be on the suns.