Suns trade for Beal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are essentially the test case for the new CBA 2nd tax apron, which I believe stood at about $179.5 million.

Other teams are watching.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, she may not understand the Suns blew right past the financial constraints and didn't even pause at the stop sign.

Reminds me of the Vanishing Point movie from the 70's, with Ishba playing the role of Kawolski...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, she may not understand the Suns blew right past the financial constraints and didn't even pause at the stop sign.
Yeah, that's all well and good for this year - but it sounds like our ability to do almost anything with a roster is over starting July 1st.

If you are over the 2nd apron as I understand it - you can not do multiplayer for 1 player trades. You can't take back a penny more in contract value in a one for one deal. You can't sign buyout players. You get no exceptions of any kind.
So if we don't trade Ayton before July 1st, we can only take back one player who makes less money than him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are essentially the test case for the new CBA 2nd tax apron, which I believe stood at about $179.5 million.

Other teams are watching.

People say the cap is going to go up anyway this probably won't be a big deal in a couple years - yeah but will the cap go up more than the escalators in Beal, KD, and Booker's contracts? I don't think so. We are very likely to be stuck over the 2nd apron for the next 3 years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Vanishing Point movie from the 70's, with Ishba playing the role of Kawolski...

Btw, anyone seen Mat Ishbia lately?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't think they realize Chris Paul was already out the door and the Suns get two players in return, one a top 30 player.

Additionally, the Suns still have Deandre Ayton. Most playoff teams only have an 8-man rotation.
Denver who just won the title had a 7-8 man rotation as well. We currently have 5-6 of the 8 on the roster (assuming Ayton stays). Just need to find a few decent free agents and we should be okay at least come playoff time.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
So if we don't trade Ayton before July 1st, we can only take back one player who makes less money than him.
I think I'd be okay with that, especially if the incoming player made A LOT less money

I don't want a bunch of scrubs in a trade for Ayton - I want Ayton's contract gone so we can have some flexibility to pick and choose our incoming players

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's all well and good for this year - but it sounds like our ability to do almost anything with a roster is over starting July 1st.

If you are over the 2nd apron as I understand it - you can not do multiplayer for 1 player trades. You can't take back a penny more in contract value in a one for one deal. You can't sign buyout players. You get no exceptions of any kind.

So it's important the Suns stock up now, say for the next 6 years or whatever.

Seriously, the Suns are already well past the sound barrier, so all we can do is watch.

They need to make friends with the NBPA for some test cases.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver who just won the title had a 7-8 man rotation as well. We currently have 5-6 of the 8 on the roster (assuming Ayton stays). Just need to find a few decent free agents and we should be okay at least come playoff time.

Hopefully, James Jones has put more thought into how to build the roster this season.

Keeping Payne, Ayton, Landale, Saban Lee, Bazley (?) and Goodwin is already a nice start without even looking at veteran minimum players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul on finding out about the trade.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know lots of people are excited by this. But I have my doubts it works. We will see.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone has doubts - that said, our options at this point were exceedingly limited. Considering these constraints, getting Beal is about the best case scenario we could have hoped for.
This

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know lots of people are excited by this. But I have my doubts it works. We will see.

There are no guarantees about anything, but the Suns went shopping at the dollar store and brought home a top 30 player in Bradly Beal.

It makes one wonder what they could do if they decided to trade Deandre Ayton.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ric Bucher and Colin Cowherd really going at it on Cowherd's show on Fox Sports this morning. Bucher is pessimistic about the "top heavy" Suns next season, while Cowherd has a much more favorable view. Bucher says that the Suns are not a top 5 team, which seems weird to me (although I respect Bucher's knowledge).

It will be interesting to see how the Suns fill out the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ric Bucher and Colin Cowherd really going at it on Cowherd's show on Fox Sports this morning. Bucher is pessimistic about the "top heavy" Suns next season, while Cowherd has a much more favorable view. Bucher says that the Suns are not a top 5 team, which seems weird to me (although I respect Bucher's knowledge).

It will be interesting to see how the Suns fill out the roster.

The Suns are already better than their playoff team last season. Did they look at the Suns roster in game 6 against the Nuggets?