Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More about Isaiah Todd.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
The Suns are already better than their playoff team last season. Did they look at the Suns roster in game 6 against the Nuggets?

Playoff Finale --> Now

C - Landale --> Ayton
PF - Durant --> Durant
SF - Booker --> Booker
SG - Shamet --> Beal
PG - Payne --> Payne

F - Craig --> Craig (UFA)
F - Warren --> vacant
F - Wainright --> vacant
F/G - Okogie (DNP) --> Okogie (UFA)
F/C - Bazley (DNP) --> Todd
C - Ayton (DNP) --> Landale (RFA)
C - Biyombo --> Biyombo (UFA)
G. Paul (DNP) --> Goodwin
G - D. Lee --> vacant
G - Ross --> vacant
G - S. Lee --> vacant

Still some work to do.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, that's all well and good for this year - but it sounds like our ability to do almost anything with a roster is over starting July 1st.

If you are over the 2nd apron as I understand it - you can not do multiplayer for 1 player trades. You can't take back a penny more in contract value in a one for one deal. You can't sign buyout players. You get no exceptions of any kind.
So if we don't trade Ayton before July 1st, we can only take back one player who makes less money than him.
I am thinking if we do trade Ayton, it's draft week. After that, might as well play him this year. It's the following year when all the salaries go up, that we may NEED to trade him.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really a lack of any consistent additional scoring outside Durant and book was a bigger issue than depth.
Exactly. Both have to be addressed. The bigger issue that is harder to address just was.
I seem to recall a fellow named Antonio McDyess. But that was way back in my younger days.
Screwed us twice after we traded for him.
More about Isaiah Todd.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
BHIICH

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playoff Finale --> Now

C - Landale --> Ayton
PF - Durant --> Durant
SF - Booker --> Booker
SG - Shamet --> Beal
PG - Payne --> Payne

F - Warren --> vacant
F - Wainright --> vacant
G - D. Lee --> vacant
G - Ross --> vacant
G - S. Lee --> vacant

Still some work to do.
Beal might be our starting point guard or it will be a combo of point Book. I don’t want to play small ball with Booker at the SF position either. Plus, at SF he would need to rebound and I personally don’t want Book constantly banging boards with all the bigger SF’s in the league.

Landale is not a starter either so if he is out there we need another big body at PF vs Durant or he is going to have to bang night in and out at the PF which scares me.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, that's all well and good for this year - but it sounds like our ability to do almost anything with a roster is over starting July 1st.

If you are over the 2nd apron as I understand it - you can not do multiplayer for 1 player trades. You can't take back a penny more in contract value in a one for one deal. You can't sign buyout players. You get no exceptions of any kind.
So if we don't trade Ayton before July 1st, we can only take back one player who makes less money than him.
Ok, good news I just heard that this is incorrect on the Ayton trade - we will be allowed to accept multiple players for him, we just can't go over his salary by a penny.

This makes our ability to hold on to him far better if we want to.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beal will be our starting point guard and I don’t want to play small ball with Booker at the SF position either. Plus, at SF he would need to rebound and I personally don’t want Book constantly banging boards with all the bigger SF’s in the league.

Landale is not a starter either so if he is out there we need another big body at PF vs Durant or he is going to have to bang night in and out at the PF which scares me.
Landale did just fine against Jokic - better than Ayton did actually so while he isn't ideal I think he could be used as a starter.

Book 100% will be our main point guard.

The question is do we get a more traditional PF or a small forward. I think ideally we get a 3 and D small forward, but I don't know how we are going to pull that off.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns get a 21-year-old power forward. I like it. Send more players.

He appears to be the worst player in the NBA based on his stats. I don't know maybe he is just incredibly raw - I think they forced us to take this contract off their hands. I don't think he is an asset, but I can't say I have ever see him play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He appears to be the worst player in the NBA based on his stats. I don't know maybe he is just incredibly raw - I think they forced us to take this contract off their hands. I don't think he is an asset, but I can't say I have ever see him play.

I don't value stats a lot on such a young player as Todd.

Bazley has more in the tank than he has shown as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Playoff Finale --> Now

C - Landale --> Ayton
PF - Durant --> Durant
SF - Booker --> Booker
SG - Shamet --> Beal
PG - Payne --> Payne

F - Warren --> vacant
F - Wainright --> vacant
G - D. Lee --> vacant
G - Ross --> vacant
G - S. Lee --> vacant

Still some work to do.
I see our roster this way right now

PG Booker
SG Beal
SF Craig
PF KD
C Ayton

Bench

Payne
Landale
Biz
Jordan Goodwin
Wainright
Bazley/Todd
(sf) Okogie?
(pf) vet min
(sf) vet min
(sg) Ross/Lee?

Considering one of Beal/Booker will always be on the floor I think we are ok at guard with Goodwin and Payne. We need one more spot shooter.

What we need badly for this roster is 3 and D SF, and a bruiser rebounder/Defending PF. If we can just get those 2 players I think we are good enough.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You gotta put yourself in the Wizard's position. We'd be crushed as a fan base if it happened to us. It would be apoplectic around here.
This is what happens when you give a player a "no-trade" clause and then have to move him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Wizard's fan base has to realize that this gives them the ability to rebuild now, not four years from now!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, but had there been no NTC, they would've gotten some first round picks back and a young player from a tram with better assets.
Yeah, but also, when he was signed, the same fanbase lauded locking up their Superstar All Star player for 6 years! They want it BOTH ways!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If I am a WA fan, I am happy because this signals a rebuild four years sooner than was going to happen. So one year of sucky ball, versus watching the same old, same old for four more years. Now they can make moves and retool!

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Devin Booker 6' 5" and 206 lbs
Bradley Beal 6' 4" and 205 lbs

I see both Book and Beal as shooting guards but I think both can run point and/or play small forward - meaning our 5th starter could potentially be a smaller more traditional PG that is or isn't already on the team yet

PG ?
SG Beal
SF Booker
PF KD
C ?

But when you look at Denver I don't think that'll work - having Beal being our smallest person on the court just sounds very appealing against the Nuggets. And allows KD to possibly play SF and not have to bang with Gordon. This is where I'd like to see both Book and Beal running point

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will take the regular season to develop some of these young guys if that is what they want to do. We need a defender on the front line. Ayton might get us a useful player or two in trade, but it is looking like his value is not that great. We'll see how Vogel does in selling Ayton as a role player. Focus on D and rebounding and just opportunistic offense. Ayton could be valuable if he actually does that.

I am certainly not opposed to trading Ayton, but only if it makes the team better.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski nailed it. The Suns had to keep going. They didn't have enough to win it after the Durant trade.
Was watching the “Tool” on tv and their panel. They seemed to indicate Beal’s agent made the first call to the Suns. That seems to match what they said on the radio about Beal wanting to play with KD and Book. So after Beal knew that he was going to move, the Suns were the first call. He wanted to play here so bad he waived his 15% trade kicker.

They also said the real reason the Wizards couldn’t get any great deals was because of the no trade clause. They are saying it’s poison to many teams with the new CBA. Also, they mentioned the new secondary Apron kicks in, in two years not next season.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was watching the “Tool” on tv and their panel. They seemed to indicate Beal’s agent made the first call to the Suns. On the radio they were saying Beal wanted to play with KD and Book. So after Beal knew that he was going to move, the Suns were the first call. He wanted to play here so bad he waived his 15% trade kicker.

They also said the real reason the Wizards couldn’t get any great deals was because of the no trade clause. They are saying it’s poison to many teams with the new CBA. Also, they mentioned the new secondary Apron kicks in, in two years not next season.

Let's spend, spend, spend until they take the loopholes away.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landale did just fine against Jokic - better than Ayton did actually so while he isn't ideal I think he could be used as a starter.

Book 100% will be our main point guard.

The question is do we get a more traditional PF or a small forward. I think ideally we get a 3 and D small forward, but I don't know how we are going to pull that off.
Landale is not an every game starter. He is also a foul machine. You can’t have Landale as your starter unless you have a legit PF.

We will get murdered on the boards and our paint defense would suck.

IMO either Beal or Book can be starting PG. it doesn’t matter much IMO because at times Book and KD will bringing up the ball and so can Beal. It will be more shared than running “Point Book” 24/7.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser