Suns trade for Beal

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I was just listening to this in the car - Bill Simmons and Ryen Russillo are among those come down on the “too much risk” side of things, even though Phoenix did not give up much in the deal.

As BA would say... no risk it, no biscuit. CP37 couldn't be counted on late in the season anyways...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's owed 250 Million over the next 4 years. He misses a LOT of games. The new CBA makes his contract an albatross and Washington knew it. And it was made worse by Beal's no trade contract. Very few teams would be willing to take on that kind of money for a player that misses so many games. All those things worked in our favor in this trade.

This trade might backfire on us but if it does, it really won't change things very much because of our already precarious situation. And it takes us from being a very longshot to win it all to a solid threat to do so.
He is 29 years old. When the contract finishes he will be 33. That time frame as far as age is not bad at all. Beal is here for the next four years, so is Book. We have committed to build a team around those two guys. Things could be worse.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw a comment in here as a long time Bullet/Wizard fan. Beal plays for Beal. He isn't all that interested in playing defense and you can guarantee he will miss time with injuries during the season. He is definitely not worth the mega contract the Suns will be taking on for Beal. He was the focal point of the offense in Washington. WIth him now in Phoenix, there may not be enough balls to go around to all those shooters in the valley.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's owed 250 Million over the next 4 years. He misses a LOT of games. The new CBA makes his contract an albatross and Washington knew it. And it was made worse by Beal's no trade contract. Very few teams would be willing to take on that kind of money for a player that misses so many games. All those things worked in our favor in this trade.

This trade might backfire on us but if it does, it really won't change things very much because of our already precarious situation. And it takes us from being a very longshot to win it all to a solid threat to do so.

I don't think there is anyone who disagrees the Suns had to swing for the fences in this situation. This was their opportunity to take a major step forward regardless of the risk.

Actually getting a top 30 player for Paul and Shamet is a home run in anybody's book, except for some critics in the media.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I found an analysis video that actually gets the value of this move. He mentions that if things go really poorly we would always have the option of trading Booker for a ton of picks and start over (hope that doesn't happen). He also mentioned some of the teams that have reportedly shown interest for Ayton and of them Hardaway Jr + Kleber from the Mavs and Turner + McConnel from the Pacers made the most sense.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw a comment in here as a long time Bullet/Wizard fan. Beal plays for Beal. He isn't all that interested in playing defense and you can guarantee he will miss time with injuries during the season. He is definitely not worth the mega contract the Suns will be taking on for Beal. He was the focal point of the offense in Washington. WIth him now in Phoenix, there may not be enough balls to go around to all those shooters in the valley.
His role will be completely different here. Not worried about how he played for the Wizard’s much. He will have less responsibility as the #3 option and everything still runs through Book#1 and KD#2. I would be much more worried if he was our #2 without KD. Not to mention I anticipate less wear and tear on Beal.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the face of it, it's a bad risk deal. He's a very good player but it's questionable whether he is worth 50 million a year for 4 years and that's if he plays every night. But for us, big deal. So what if he's only worth 40 million dollars a season when he actually takes the court, we couldn't get anyone else anywhere near his caliber any other way.
The odds are for this upcoming season, not the next 4 years.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So this like the saying.. if you’re going to hit a deer/moose.. speed up..

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I mean is he plays an entirely different style than they do. He just is the antithesis of motion offense
Well if they are rumored to be moving Poole they would be in the market for a guard and moving that contract.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Well he needs to buy into winning basketball. From his perspective why not? He’s playing on a contender for the first time and his money is already coming to him so there’s nothing to showcase. He needs to be the third cog like Ray Allen was for Boston.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no guarantees about anything, but the Suns went shopping at the dollar store and brought home a top 30 player in Bradly Beal.

It makes one wonder what they could do if they decided to trade Deandre Ayton.
I know it all looks great on paper. But the nagging thought I have is there is only one ball. What will the chemistry be like?

That said, it is better than standing pat. It's worth the risk, I just see a lot of risk.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it all looks great on paper. But the nagging thought I have is there is only one ball. What will the chemistry be like?

That said, it is better than standing pat. It's worth the risk, I just see a lot of risk.

Beal led the NBA in scoring while playing with Westbrook, who averaged a triple double on his own. There's enough to go around.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I see a lot of risk too but given our situation and our needs, I saw no reason not to take that risk.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05