Suns trade for Beal

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If CP3 is waived, where do we think he goes? What would be his best shot to
win a title?

I’d love to see him go to either the Sixers, Heat or the Celtics.
It's interesting. I guess we will see how much he really wants a title chance.

I think he probably just goes to the Clips or Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's owed 250 Million over the next 4 years. He misses a LOT of games. The new CBA makes his contract an albatross and Washington knew it. And it was made worse by Beal's no trade contract. Very few teams would be willing to take on that kind of money for a player that misses so many games. All those things worked in our favor in this trade.

This trade might backfire on us but if it does, it really won't change things very much because of our already precarious situation. And it takes us from being a very longshot to win it all to a solid threat to do so.

We already went through something similar with Durant but the Suns paid so much more in terms of assets and Beal is 5 years younger.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On top of that, Paul said he would not comeback for the league minimum and was trying to force the Suns hand to pay him the $30 million. Gambo said from day one the Suns were not paying him that.
If that is true he couldn't have really believed he was coming back to the Suns. They were never going to pay him 30 million.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went through something similar with Durant but the Suns paid so much more in terms of assets.
Yeah but apparently and contrary to what some of us believed, our front office (and other's) didn't know the parameters of the new deal. Now though, the CBA is out there and teams are reacting.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's owed 250 Million over the next 4 years. He misses a LOT of games. The new CBA makes his contract an albatross and Washington knew it. And it was made worse by Beal's no trade contract. Very few teams would be willing to take on that kind of money for a player that misses so many games. All those things worked in our favor in this trade.

This trade might backfire on us but if it does, it really won't change things very much because of our already precarious situation. And it takes us from being a very longshot to win it all to a solid threat to do so.
It's interesting very few in the media seem to like this trade for us. Vegas doesn't seem to like it much either, we just went from +800 to +600.

Maybe that is just injury risk holding back the odds, but I feel like our odds should have improved more than that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but apparently and contrary to what some of us believed, our front office (and other's) didn't know the parameters of the new deal. Now though, the CBA is out there and teams are reacting.

Although the Suns did this trade fully knowing the ramifications of the new CBA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn’t make sense IMO that they knew.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting very few in the media seem to like this trade for us. Vegas doesn't seem to like it much either, we just went from +800 to +600.

Maybe that is just injury risk holding back the odds, but I feel like our odds should have improved more than that.
On the face of it, it's a bad risk deal. He's a very good player but it's questionable whether he is worth 50 million a year for 4 years and that's if he plays every night. But for us, big deal. So what if he's only worth 40 million dollars a season when he actually takes the court, we couldn't get anyone else anywhere near his caliber any other way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the face of it, it's a bad risk deal. He's a very good player but it's questionable whether he is worth 50 million a year for 4 years and that's if he plays every night. But for us, big deal. So what if he's only worth 40 million dollars a season when he actually takes the court, we couldn't get anyone else of his caliber any other way.
This. You were not going to get an all-star level player otherwise. The fact we got one without moving Ayton is mind blowing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't see where the Suns had many options other than go full throttle if they wanted to contend.

They actually found a taker for Chris Paul and Landry Shamet plus maintain a key piece in Deandre Ayton whether they keep him or trade him.

I do agree, the Suns odds have improved since the trade.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m really hoping this team is now gonna get out and run. I enjoyed the hell out of the first two CP3 years, but I’m ready for a change of pace with Book and KD.
Yeah a ton of that was Chris but more than ever last season Chris slowed way down. When he was in we went into half court mode most of the time.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On the face of it, it's a bad risk deal. He's a very good player but it's questionable whether he is worth 50 million a year for 4 years and that's if he plays every night. But for us, big deal. So what if he's only worth 40 million dollars a season when he actually takes the court, we couldn't get anyone else anywhere near his caliber any other way.
I was just listening to this in the car - Bill Simmons and Ryen Russillo are among those come down on the “too much risk” side of things, even though Phoenix did not give up much in the deal.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I love about this is the same thing the Suns did with KD. They are all in. The last time an owner went all in, in this market, it resulted in a MLB title. Risk involved all the way around but it could pay off.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me one bit if the Suns already have a trade lined up for Ayton providing this is the direction they want to go.

So much could happen before and after the draft on Thursday.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just listening to this in the car - Bill Simmons and Ryen Russillo are among those come down on the “too much risk” side of things, even though Phoenix did not give up much in the deal.

It absolutely is too much risk for the rest of the league. But we're like a dying man emptying his meager bank account to buy lottery tickets hoping to leave his grandkids some serious wealth.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me one bit if the Suns already have a trade lined up for Ayton providing this is the direction they want to go.

So much could happen before and after the draft on Thursday.
Sure seems like it. Gambo did say the Suns were exploring every scenario with Ayton. Sounds like he is on the block if they can make the team better at the very least.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jevon Carter wouldn't be a bad addition, either, for the defense.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Wizards asked for Ayton in the trade but the Suns said no per report from John Gambadoro.
I've been hearing and seeing that Beal said no. He wanted Ayton on the team and would not agree unless it was CP3 in the trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing and seeing that Beal said no. He wanted Ayton on the team and would not agree unless it was CP3 in the trade.

Could it be the Suns received a friendly nudge from Beal to strengthen the team?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser