Suns trade for Beal

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So a few things I have learned.

beal is the best guard at driving to the bucket in the league. 71% shooting in the restricted area and he drove the 4th most of any guard. That will help us a ton.

we have bird rights on Craig, landale and bazley. All 3 are most likely getting resigned and maybe for extra money just to make them into tradeable pieces. Craig can still be our 5th starter and be passable.

we also have Payne and wainright already under contract.

supposedly there are offers on the table for ayton, i think from Charlotte and Orlando where we could get multiple players.

so overall I am feeling even better about this deal.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

beal is the best guard at driving to the bucket in the league. 71% shooting in the restricted area and he drove the 4th most of any guard. That will help us a ton.

we have bird rights on Craig, landale and bazley. All 3 are most likely getting resigned and maybe for extra money just to make them into tradeable pieces. Craig can still be our 5th starter and be passable.

supposedly there are offers on the table for ayton, i think from Charlotte and Orlando where we could get multiple players.

Do you know what the offers are?

I like Wendel Carter Jr and Bol Bol in Orlando

There’s no one in Charlotte I want

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like Orlando for Ayton because they have a number of young-ish players who could be something. I'd do Ayton for Cole Anthony, Wendell Carter, and Gary Harris. Works financially. Gives the Suns a big in Carter, a young PG with potential in Anthony, and a shooting role player off the bench in Harris. Not super attractive but makes us more well rounded.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you know what the offers are?

I like Wendel Carter Jr and Bol Bol in Orlando

There’s no one in Charlotte I want
i think Charlotte is mark Williams and Gordon Hayward.

I think Jonathan isaccs is part of the orlando deal, don’t know the rest. probably cole Anthony.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If we get Carter from Orlando then we need a gold plated James Jones statue out front immediately. He's better than DA IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think Jonathan isaccs is part of the orlando deal, don’t know the rest.

That's what I was afraid of, taking Isaac's deal. Talk about never healthy. I know Gary Harris isn't great but I'd try to get him over Isaac. Ishbia needs to work his Jedi mind trick down in Orlando. Make it a 3 way call with the Wizards, maybe have the Wiz throw in a 2nd rounder for it to happen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If we get Carter from Orlando then we need a gold plated James Jones statue out front immediately. He's better than DA IMO.
I'm curious how you came to that conclusion - DA beats Carter in almost every statistical category.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's a good trade because it represents a consistent strategy. The Suns are all-in for a title this year and have decided to sacrifice their future for it. That was already true before the Beal trade, and they were past the point of no return, so the only logical thing to do is double down.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think Jonathan isaccs is part of the orlando deal, don’t know the rest. probably cole Anthony.

That’s a horrible Charlotte offer

I was really high on Isaac coming out but he’s Been a huge bust who’s been injured a lot. Cole Anthony is average at best

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s a horrible Charlotte offer

I was really high on Isaac coming out but he’s Been a huge bust who’s been injured a lot. Cole Anthony is average at best
I don’t know, mark Williams is young and supposedly a defensive center. Hayward could be a decent 6 th man. It might not be awful. And maybe we can pry a 1st rounder out of them as well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don’t know, mark Williams is young and supposedly a defensive center. Hayward could be a decent 6 th man. It might not be awful. And maybe we can pry a 1st rounder out of them as well.
We got Bradley Beal for CP3 and Shamet. That Charlotte trade would be a huge let-down.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
With KD/Book/Beal in place, I'd like Okogie (maybe the bi-exc),Landale (4m/y?), Biyombo (min) and Saben Lee (min) come back for sure; and our other FAs maybe. Craig's role maybe easily replaced with min-players available at trading deadline, thus not worth 5m/y he'd ask, now we are way way over the 3rd tax apron. Same with Payne at 6.5m. Damion is not a good fit for the new team. Bazley, Warren and Ross are welcom back if on min deals.
So, all else depends on what DA can get us via trades. I'd hope for Mark Willams and Oubre (s&t) with Hornets. A Williams/KD/Oubre/Book/Beal starting lineup, with bench Okogie/Payne/Saben/Landale/Biyombo/Ross/Bazley/Ish, can be a good start, with more vets on min deals to join.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got Bradley Beal for CP3 and Shamet. That Charlotte trade would be a huge let-down.
if that is your standard just about every trade will be a letdown. That might the most lopsided trade since Gobert.

but if we are locked into ayton s contract because of the 2nd apron like they are saying, I am now thinking we are going to trade him by the draft.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
But honestly, that's probably going to be every deal going forward, comparatively speaking. :D

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Espn gave us a D grade for the trade btw. How in the hell does trading for an all-star while giving up absolutely nothing earn a d grade? Awe inspiring
I just read Kevin Pelton’s piece. I understand his health and financial logic, but a D grade is pretty absurd. I am sure that there will be other, conflicting views at ESPN on this one.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With KD/Book/Beal in place, I'd like Okogie (maybe the bi-exc),Landale (4m/y?), Biyombo (min) and Saben Lee (min) come back for sure; and our other FAs maybe. Craig's role maybe easily replaced with min-players available at trading deadline, thus not worth 5m/y he'd ask, now we are way way over the 3rd tax apron. Same with Payne at 6.5m. Damion is not a good fit for the new team. Bazley, Warren and Ross are welcom back if on min deals.
So, all else depends on what DA can get us via trades. I'd hope for Mark Willams and Oubre (s&t) with Hornets. A Williams/KD/Oubre/Book/Beal starting lineup, with bench Okogie/Payne/Saben/Landale/Biyombo/Ross/Bazley/Ish, can be a good start, with more vets on min deals to join.
Bringing Craig back is a no brainer at almost any price. He is better than 90% of the minimum type guys we will be able to sign.

I think warren will get more than the min.

i like our chances to get biyambo.

Both lee’s can easily be resigned, I hope we can do better.

ross I am not sure I want back, we need to focus on defenders.

okogie I hope we can get, but my gut says he leaves for a better payday.

I don’t think we have the use of even bi annual exception after this deal, but not sure, maybe we do because it is pre new cba.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read Kevin Pelton’s piece. I understand his health and financial logic, but a D grade is pretty absurd. I am sure that there will be other, conflicting views at ESPN on this one.

It sounds like the momentum at ESPN is shifting after reading an excerpt from Brian Windhorst.

Brian Windhorst, ESPN Senior WriterJun 18, 2023, 09:30 PM ET:

Over the past week, the Phoenix Suns' ownership and front office came to a conclusion as they considered the idea of trading for Washington Wizards guard Bradley Beal:

Don't just break the rules, smash them to bits.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a good trade because it represents a consistent strategy. The Suns are all-in for a title this year and have decided to sacrifice their future for it. That was already true before the Beal trade, and they were past the point of no return, so the only logical thing to do is double down.

Solid take.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
It sounds like the momentum at ESPN is shifting after reading an excerpt from Brian Windhorst.

Brian Windhorst, ESPN Senior WriterJun 18, 2023, 09:30 PM ET:

Over the past week, the Phoenix Suns' ownership and front office came to a conclusion as they considered the idea of trading for Washington Wizards guard Bradley Beal:

Don't just break the rules, smash them to bits.

good read!
As long as Beal's health is no issue, it's a great move by the Suns.