Suns Trade for Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is kinda bitter sweet. It sucks seeing Dudley go. He was one of my favorite players ever on the Suns. He handled himself like a professional, was a great teammate, a good defender, great shooter, good rebouder, good passer, and hustled 110% of the time. Not to mention he's on a very good contract.

It really sucks seeing him go...I wanted Dudley to be with us when we become good again...I felt like he deserved it.

But basketball wise, needless to say this was a great move. Can someone please tell me a little about Bledsoe? I know a bunch of teams wanted him, but why? Is he a traditional PG or is he a combo....is he a good shooter....what about athleticism and defense? How about as a teammate?

I think Dragic and and Bledsoe are somehat combo guards although I think Dragic played the PG position quite well last season. I've heard it said that Dragic needs help in the backcourt handling the ball and that NBA positions are becoming less defined. What perked my ears is that Bledsoe can guard the bigger SGs. I don't think either are classic shooters but they should be a handful running a high tempo offense. As I look at it, add backcourt talent, then let it work itself out. Also Goodwin will get some minutes as well as Marshall.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I believe this hurts our cap space a bit because Butler and Bledsoe together equal a significantly higher dollar amount than Dudley did.

Leads to questions about what else McD has up his sleeve. This trade came out of nowhere--we weren't even mentioned in any of the many articles about Bledsoe being moved.
Aren't the Suns always like that?

We always made trades and choose draftees that we're least expecting.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Dragic and and Bledsoe are somehat combo guards although I think Dragic played the PG position quite well last season. I've heard it said that Dragic needs help in the backcourt handling the ball and that NBA positions are becoming less defined. What perked my ears is that Bledsoe can guard the bigger SGs. I don't think either are classic shooters but they should be a handful running a high tempo offense. As I look at it, add backcourt talent, then let it work itself out. Also Goodwin will get some minutes as well as Marshall.
Bledsoe is 6'1 though. Most SGs are like 6'5 or taller. They could probably just shoot over Bledsoe even if Bledsoe goes all out trying to stop it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll believe that when I see it. That sounds like someone trying to sell the trade as better than it is.

Here is an excerpt from the Paul Coro article already mentioned.

Bledsoe, the 18th pick in the 2010 draft, is a sturdy 6 feet 1 and 195 pounds with a wingspan that goes 6-7 ½ to make him able to defend the bigger shooting guards in the league. He also has an exceptional vertical leap. He has remained in a reserve role for three seasons, spending the past two behind All-Star point guard Chris Paul.

I think both Dragic and Bledsoe have the speed and quickness to give both PGs and SGs problems.

Anyway, tonight I'm a believer. :D

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...nclick_check=1

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except Rondo is a great facilitator.

Yeah and he is one of the most uncoachable players ever. If we could get to the truth I'd bet that Rivers left Boston primarily to get away from Rondo, just like Ray Allen did. As talented as Rondo is, there is a reason Boston has tried to find a taker for him every offseason. They could give him away but they've been unable to find equal value. Any team would take him on a steal but what GM wants to risk their career trading the farm for a guy that pretty much nobody wants to play with (OPINION!!!). I'd rather have Bledsoe but it remains to be seen whether he can impact the game the way Rajon does.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm a believer as well. This is defiitely a good trade. I'm just curious to know what happens to the rest of our guards.

Also, Dragic was tragic defensively last season. If we're banking on him to become a good defender due to his size, I wouldn't count on it.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah and he is one of the most uncoachable players ever. If we could get to the truth I'd bet that Rivers left Boston primarily to get away from Rondo, just like Ray Allen did. As talented as Rondo is, there is a reason Boston has tried to find a taker for him every offseason. They could give him away but they've been unable to find equal value. Any team would take him on a steal but what GM wants to risk their career trading the farm for a guy that pretty much nobody wants to play with (OPINION!!!). I'd rather have Bledsoe but it remains to be seen whether he can impact the game the way Rajon does.

Steve
I don't disagree with that. But think about it this way, if Rondo only had Bledsoe's playmaking ability, do you think he would have had much effect on games? Or even nearly as much as he does now?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. But think about it this way, if Rondo only had Bledsoe's playmaking ability, do you think he would have had much effect on games? Or even nearly as much as he does now?

You're right, Rondo has special skills and without them, he'd never even get the chance to play in the NBA. If he were a lesser mortal such as Bledsoe, no one would tolerate him. That doesn't mean Bledsoe can't be special in his own way though.

Steve

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fantastic yield for Dudley. Bledsoe is such a highly coveted asset right now. I think he'll be moved before the season starts and the market adjusts to his inability to shoot. He's highly overrated. When he has to carry a load and run a team he'll be exposed. Dragic is so much better as a PG.

I'd hope McMiracle can work out a deal for CJ McCollum. Now THAT would be something to be excited about.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3h

As Celtics assistant GM, McDonough tried to get Bledsoe as part of KG talks at deadline. "He got this deal done," one exec in trade says.

I love it, McDonough took the initiative to score for the Suns. McD is turning himself into one of the better GMs in this league.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fantastic yield for Dudley. Bledsoe is such a highly coveted asset right now. I think he'll be moved before the season starts and the market adjusts to his inability to shoot. He's highly overrated. When he has to carry a load and run a team he'll be exposed. Dragic is so much better as a PG.

I'd hope McMiracle can work out a deal for CJ McCollum. Now THAT would be something to be excited about.
I don't think McDonough traded away a fan favorite like Dudley just to get Bledsoe so that he can trade Bledsoe again. EB's staying.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thunder / Suns
Dragic for Lamb + Jones + future pick

Blazers / Suns
Gortat for Leonard + Mccollum

New Lineup

C: Len/Leonard
PF: Morris / Jones / Beasley
SF: Beasley / Morris / Jones
SG: Butler / Lamb / Goodwin
PG: Bledsoe / Goodwin / Marshall

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hate it. Next years draft is supposed to be the best since the lebron draft is ever there was a year to tank is next year. I do not want to see them make moves that make sense now

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, 3pt shooting pf's with slashing driving guards and a post up center could be a fairly balanced offense and even provide some matchup problems for opposing defenses.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Hate it. Next years draft is supposed to be the best since the lebron draft is ever there was a year to tank is next year. I do not want to see them make moves that make sense now

While I agree the Suns priority next season should be tanking for the draft, this could be a good trade IF (big if) it is chained together with moving Gortat, Scola, and Butler - for draft picks or other unproven youngsters. Bledsoe could be a very good piece as part of a youth movement. Again, IF the Suns don't do anything stupid like signing mediocre, overpriced FAs.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Thunder / Suns
Dragic for Lamb + Jones + future pick

Blazers / Suns
Gortat for Leonard + Mccollum

New Lineup

C: Len/Leonard
PF: Morris / Jones / Beasley
SF: Beasley / Morris / Jones
SG: Butler / Lamb / Goodwin
PG: Bledsoe / Goodwin / Marshall

Good suggestions. If the Suns can't do this, at least something along the same lines.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I don't think this trade improves the Suns for next season. Dudley was one of their best players, and Bledsoe is still very much a developing prospect.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think McDonough traded away a fan favorite like Dudley just to get Bledsoe so that he can trade Bledsoe again. EB's staying.

McDonough job isn't to worry about fan favorites. Unless it's someone like Nash, I'm sure the thought never enters his mind. His job is to field the best team he can. If a trade comes along tomorrow for Bledsoe that he likes, I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate.

People here and other Suns boards are getting carried away with this trade. The Suns just traded Dudley and a second round pick. It's a nice trade. They didn't get a star. They didn't even get a guy who's a lock to be a top level player. They got a guy with potential. That's it. Potential that can't shoot, the most important skill in basketball. If he was as good as everyone here thinks he is, I guarantee you Dudley and a second wouldn't have secured the deal. The Clippers have obviously been in negotiations with every other team (or most). If this is the best the Clippers could do, other GM's in the league don't think as highly of Bledsoe.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Stupid post.

You don't pass up on a 23 year old guy with a ton of potential just to lose a few extra games.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am so tired of the tanking stuff. You don't pass on good opportunities. That's the way to stay in the basement forever.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McDonough job isn't to worry about fan favorites. Unless it's someone like Nash, I'm sure the thought never enters his mind. His job is to field the best team he can. If a trade comes along tomorrow for Bledsoe that he likes, I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate.

People here and other Suns boards are getting carried away with this trade. The Suns just traded Dudley and a second round pick. It's a nice trade. They didn't get a star. They didn't even get a guy who's a lock to be a top level player. They got a guy with potential. That's it. Potential that can't shoot, the most important skill in basketball. If he was as good as everyone here thinks he is, I guarantee you Dudley and a second wouldn't have secured the deal. The Clippers have obviously been in negotiations with every other team (or most). If this is the best the Clippers could do, other GM's in the league don't think as highly of Bledsoe.

Dudley and a 2nd round pick for a young player with potential, what's not to like? Jared can be an excellent complementary piece for a team like the Clippers. He plays above average defense, he does all the little things, is a great locker room presence and can nail the three. He may not be a star but he fills their need. The Clippers may well have received some strong offers, they just might not have met the need that Dudley does.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake