Suns trade rumors

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some dude was rambling on ESPN radio this morning about it making sense for the Lakers to send Gasol to Phoenix for a few draft picks. That was the end of the discussion. So I had to yell at the radio "what makes you think we want to give up a few picks?"

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some dude was rambling on ESPN radio this morning about it making sense for the Lakers to send Gasol to Phoenix for a few draft picks. That was the end of the discussion. So I had to yell at the radio "what makes you think we want to give up a few picks?"

It's become very clear what team some of these media figures root for. They over value Laker players to the degree it's disgusting and inept. I laugh when they suggest one pick go to the lakers for a Gasol rental, but we've got idiots like Cowherd suggesting they should get 3 first rounders from the Suns. Absolutely hilarious! Usually in a salary dump, the team dumping salary gives up a pick or more, but here we have the Lakers asking for picks for Gasol and Hill. What a joke! I really hope no team helps them out, this is ridiculous.

HooverDam

Reaction score
boy its slow out there...sounds like nothing interesting is going to happen really anywhere in the league. A couple of deck chair shuffling moves, but nothing too interesting.

I hope I'm wrong though, 30 minutes left!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's a shame that the Suns can't figure out a way to get Jordan Hill. He could be a long-term asset. I just spent some time fooling around with salary numbers and can't find a way to make it work, though.

Edit: Hill straight-up for Dionte Christmas works, because the Suns have a little wiggle room under the cap. I'd even include the Suns' own 2014 pick. And the rights to Vujanic.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yea I like Hill too...the asking price is a 2nd rd pick apparently. Could turn out to be a Marcus Morris type steal for us.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a shame that the Suns can't figure out a way to get Jordan Hill. He could be a long-term asset. I just spent some time fooling around with salary numbers and can't find a way to make it work, though.

Edit: Hill straight-up for Dionte Christmas works, because the Suns have a little wiggle room under the cap. I'd even include the Suns' own 2014 pick. And the rights to Vujanic.
In fact, I think the Suns wouldn't even have to trade away any players because they are enough under the cap to absorb Hill's Salary. At least ESPN's Trade Machine seems to think so. And the Lakers were only asking the Nets for a second-round pick in return but were rejected.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In fact, I think the Suns wouldn't even have to trade away any players because they are enough under the cap to absorb Hill's Salary.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't look into that possibility, but I'll bet you're right.

And the Lakers were only asking the Nets for a second-round pick in return but were rejected.

Seems like a good opportunity to jump on. I'm more enthusiastic about Hill than Gasol.

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score
Good. Maybe by keeping Gasol and Hill the Lakers will be just good enough to not get a top-5 pick.

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if Sarver will walk Bledsoe out and proclaim him our Trade deadline acquisition (ala Amare)? It will be interesting to see how the Suns match up down low in the Playoffs with Frye and the Morris twins during crunch time. For some reason that doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, I haven't seen any "wow" type trades at the deadline. The Suns might as well keep the financial benefits of the Okafor contract. I'm glad the Suns did not make a trade just to make a trade and give up a first round pick.

The Suns can still make a big time trade come draft time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could be a situation where the Lakers were not putting Hill on the table for us because their bigger priority was moving Gasol and we had the most attractive assets for that option.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Of all the possible "options" out there, I think standing pat was probably a good move.

The reasons why Okafor's contract was valued by other GMs around the league were the same reasons we had value for it. We save a ton of money from it--this was most definitely an asset attractive to other teams, but it's very attractive to us as well.

I like the thought process here--yes, we could have used a skilled big to help in this year's playoffs, but what would the point be? Sure, we could make a little money if we got to the 2nd round, but it wouldn't help us with the future. I think what McD did here is basically ignore our record and look at the team as a whole as if the season wasn't already going on. Does a 2-month Pau rental help us in the long run? Absolutely not--the difference is in paying out 5.2 million or 17.5 million (or whatever Pau's salary number is). Saving 12 million that really had no point seems like the smart play. IMO.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pacers getting Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen for Danny Granger and a 2nd rd pick was probably the biggest trade at the deadline.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would have been nice to add a big man though, be it Hill, Gasol or Hawes. Our front court is really thin and Len has been a serious detriment in his limited playing time. Blame it on him still recovering, being raw or simply being a lousy player, but so far he sucks out loud.

Maybe someone will get waived and we can snatch them up seeing as we can offer more than the minimum.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Pacers getting Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen for Danny Granger and a 2nd rd pick was probably the biggest trade at the deadline.

Geeze. Im not super high on Turner but Granger was doing nothing for Indy. He'll be an ideal 6th man for them, that makes them a real tough team.

E: Sounds like the 76ers may just cut Granger and he could end up in Miami, that'd be great for the Heat. The East finals are going to be fun.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Granger makes more sense for the Clippers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geeze. Im not super high on Turner but Granger was doing nothing for Indy. He'll be an ideal 6th man for them, that makes them a real tough team.

E: Sounds like the 76ers may just cut Granger and he could end up in Miami, that'd be great for the Heat. The East finals are going to be fun.

if Granger's got anything left in the tank, that would be pretty awesome.

that series is going to be EPIC. Hell, last year's ECF was pretty damn awesome.

The Heat are still the team to beat, but with Wade even gimpier this season, can they really get through this ridiculously deep Pacers squad and the Thunder, neither of which it looks like they'd have HCA over? If they do, I'd think LeBron immediately has to be talked legitimately as one of the all-time greats...like top 5 or 3 players of all time.

All this "he'd only have 3 rings" stuff would just be stuff. No one was saying Jordan "only" had 3 rings when he retired the first time. If he never came back, he'd still probably be regarded as the best of all time and people were saying he was back in 93 when he retired. Those next 3 titles after retirement just cemented the legacy, IMO.

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score
Of all the possible "options" out there, I think standing pat was probably a good move.

The reasons why Okafor's contract was valued by other GMs around the league were the same reasons we had value for it. We save a ton of money from it--this was most definitely an asset attractive to other teams, but it's very attractive to us as well.

I like the thought process here--yes, we could have used a skilled big to help in this year's playoffs, but what would the point be? Sure, we could make a little money if we got to the 2nd round, but it wouldn't help us with the future. I think what McD did here is basically ignore our record and look at the team as a whole as if the season wasn't already going on. Does a 2-month Pau rental help us in the long run? Absolutely not--the difference is in paying out 5.2 million or 17.5 million (or whatever Pau's salary number is). Saving 12 million that really had no point seems like the smart play. IMO.

I really don't understand when fans talk about the money being saved. Unless you are Robert Sarver (and those who work for him), who really cares about how much money the Suns save? Unless it is tied directly to a benefit to making the team better we as fans shouldn't care. There is no guarantee that money every makes its way to anyone other than Sarver.

McD apparently balked at giving the Lakers a 1st rounder in addition to Okafor for Gasol. If they would have done it for the Indy pick it was a no-brainer. The Suns already have 2 likely first rounders better than that, so who really needs a third? They have a late first rounder (Goodwin) who never plays, so why should they be so committed to keeping a third that is basically a glorified 2nd round pick?

If Gasol could get them an upset in the first round (or even going to 6-7 games) then it was more than worth it. Isn't the whole point to win? I don't buy the chemistry arguement. Gasol has been a good teammate and he would know that the Suns really wanted him to make a playoff push. LB integrated into the team without disrupting chemistry, so why would Gasol be any different?

The arguement of stunting Len's growth (or Miles for that matter) doesn't hold water either. I think those guys would get more out of playing with a solid veteran and two-time champion for two months and then a possible deeper playoff run than they will with a few more game minutes and getting blitzed in the first round (or miss the playoffs entirely).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think its important to remember that we're responding to a lot of fanboy fantasy here. There are only a few things we know to be absolutely true. The Suns were open to making a trade for the right player. The Suns did not make a trade. Everything else we've read may or may not be true.

Even info coming from "reliable" sources may be completely false.

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score
Its really moot anyway now that the deadline is past. I trust McD and Hornacek and am willing to let the season progress, but I don't see much success in the playoffs with a Frye, Plumlee, Morris twin front line. I would love to know who they are going to target in the offseason with all those picks. It doesn't make sense to pick 3 (possibly 4) players in the draft this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand when fans talk about the money being saved. Unless you are Robert Sarver (and those who work for him), who really cares about how much money the Suns save? Unless it is tied directly to a benefit to making the team better we as fans shouldn't care. There is no guarantee that money every makes its way to anyone other than Sarver.

McD apparently balked at giving the Lakers a 1st rounder in addition to Okafor for Gasol. If they would have done it for the Indy pick it was a no-brainer. The Suns already have 2 likely first rounders better than that, so who really needs a third? They have a late first rounder (Goodwin) who never plays, so why should they be so committed to keeping a third that is basically a glorified 2nd round pick?

If Gasol could get them an upset in the first round (or even going to 6-7 games) then it was more than worth it. Isn't the whole point to win? I don't buy the chemistry arguement. Gasol has been a good teammate and he would know that the Suns really wanted him to make a playoff push. LB integrated into the team without disrupting chemistry, so why would Gasol be any different?

The arguement of stunting Len's growth (or Miles for that matter) doesn't hold water either. I think those guys would get more out of playing with a solid veteran and two-time champion for two months and then a possible deeper playoff run than they will with a few more game minutes and getting blitzed in the first round (or miss the playoffs entirely).

Spending money without significant return in player personnel is not what is best for the Suns. Why give other owners the money. I want the Suns to be financially sound so when a big trade comes along, the Suns ownership is willing to spend. This is a long way from the days when the Suns traded Kurt Thomas and two first round draft picks to rid themselves of his contract.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake