Suns trade rumors

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most valuable asset may turn out to be Luol Deng, if the underperforming Cavaliers don't believe they'll be able to re-sign him as a free agent this summer. Wouldn't he look good in the colors of the Suns, who could afford to trade for him and re-sign him, and for whom he would add defense and outstanding play in transition?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...ne-questions-storylines-rumors/#ixzz2tcaDXKI9

Also read:

http://www.latinopost.com/articles/...land-cavaliers-cleveland-cavaliers-roster.htm

Okafor and pick(s) would work. If the Suns want him, they can get him. However, it would have been easier if the Suns had drafted him.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cavs won't give up Deng without getting back a decent replacement for him.

Okafor, Tucker + Indy pick for him.

Tucker will cost a lot cheaper than Deng for Cleveland to resign and he probably wouldn't mind playing for the Cavs as much as Deng does.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Why would the Suns want Deng? They already have more than enough wings. If they're going to upgrade, it should be at a position of greater need.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tucker will cost a lot cheaper than Deng for Cleveland to resign and he probably wouldn't mind playing for the Cavs as much as Deng does.

I could live with this trade. IMO, Deng is a borderline star. Add Bledsoe and the Suns are rocking.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Maybe you're right and that's the market price but if so it's far too much to pay for such a short term rental. He is unhappy in Cleveland and they now know he is not part of their future so I don't see why they'd expect a premium in return for a player they are waving goodbye to in a few months. Deng is a nice upgrade over Tucker but I'm not even sure two months of him is worth just the value of the Okafor contract let alone Tucker and a pick. If we want him I would hope we'll wait and sign him in the offseason. I'm not sure that's feasible either given that he and Chicago were so far apart in negotiations but it's better than throwing away assets right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would the Suns want Deng? They already have more than enough wings. If they're going to upgrade, it should be at a position of greater need.

Clearly a valid argument. Do you have a FC in mind? I would prefer a PF as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, to keep in mind when talking about trades, the Suns stand to recoup approximately 5.6 million in insurance money if they keep Okafor. This supports the Suns standing pat or going for a young player they want to keep long term... not a rental.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Clearly a valid argument. Do you have a FC in mind? I would prefer a PF as well.

Exactly, you can wish for a young Barkley, Shaq, whoever all you want but in the end you have to choose from what's available. And how long do you wait to see if Love, Monroe, etc ever become available? Lots of teams have screwed themselves clearing cap space for free agents that never come.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenneth Faried is rumored to be available, surprised the Suns haven't been linked to him yet.

I like Faried a lot but his play seems to have leveled out. Now it appears he may be destined to be a backup PF for a good team unless he develops an outside shot. Still I like him as a player.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I'm getting worried Suns will go after Pau Gasol; he could easily make the Suns worse with him craving more shots on his current Team, piss poor defense, and his actions on court make him look like bad fit (chemistry).

Don't remember much Suns fan interest in Ginobili, hopefully it's just laker based talk, I gave up interest in Gasol watching him play against Suns (older game) and the day before Suns ended talks. But with this Jordan Hill rumor to Nets - I hope they aren't resuming talks.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Exactly, you can wish for a young Barkley, Shaq, whoever all you want but in the end you have to choose from what's available. And how long do you wait to see if Love, Monroe, etc ever become available? Lots of teams have screwed themselves clearing cap space for free agents that never come.

Well, I would argue that just because you have cap space doesn't mean you have to use it. Lots of teams wasted lots of money by not being patient.

Don't get me wrong, I like Deng a lot, and I am not necessarily opposed to the Suns going after him. I just wanted to point out there is no need to waste cap space just because it's there.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Clearly a valid argument. Do you have a FC in mind?

No. That's why I keep saying that the Suns still need to look to the draft. Their success this season has hurt their cause, not helped it. They're not going anywhere by adding more second-tier talent. They need a "Wow!" player. If there isn't one available, well then that's the way it goes, and you try to grow your own.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No. That's why I keep saying that the Suns still need to look to the draft. Their success this season has hurt their cause, not helped it. They're not going anywhere by adding more second-tier talent. They need a "Wow!" player. If there isn't one available, well then that's the way it goes, and you try to grow your own.

That's debatable. We have added assets that can add to our future and they are a part of why we are winning at a higher rate this season.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I think Dragic/Bledsoe are legit stars and currently both on cheap contracts; but I'd look to improve Team cheaply (Okafor or remaining cap), rather than wait for Trade for Superstar. Last year both players were thought of near the likes of a lot/some players listed below.

These are players possibly on Trade block, that I'd consider for right deal (starting from East to West, Lindys book reference)

Jeff Green, Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, Iman Shumpert, Thaddeus
Young, Evan Turner, DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay, Amir Johnson, Joakim Noah, Luol Deng, Greg Monroe, Josh Smith, Rodney Stuckey, Larry Sanders, Ersan Ilyasova, John Henson, Paul Millsap, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Arron Afflalo, Maurice Harkless, Tobias Harris.

Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons, Jerryd Bayless, Tyreke Evans, Eric Gordon, Kevin Love, Meyers Leonard, Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Alec Burks, Harrison Barnes, Jordan Hill, Wesley Johnson, Greivis Vasquez.

Brook Lopez or Danilo Gallinari also (out for year) though they couldn't improve Suns this year. IMO, lots of the Teams ahead of Suns in standings aren't looking to improve Suns chances/looking for cap relief but there could possibly be more players.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Deng is too old for us. No way I would want to re-sign him in the offseason.

Gasol same case and not even sure how he would fit. While the theory that he could teach Len sounds nice, the reality is that he would be here 2 months, we won't have much practise time and as soon as the season is over he would be back in LA.

I am fine with standing pat. If it came down to making a move I would rather trade Okafor for a semi-bad contract and a future pick simply.

We can always use picks on draft day to move up (grab Vonleh) or move picks to desperate teams for future picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deng is too old for us. No way I would want to re-sign him in the offseason.

Gasol same case and not even sure how he would fit. While the theory that he could teach Len sounds nice, the reality is that he would be here 2 months, we won't have much practise time and as soon as the season is over he would be back in LA.

I am fine with standing pat. If it came down to making a move I would rather trade Okafor for a semi-bad contract and a future pick simply.

We can always use picks on draft day to move up (grab Vonleh) or move picks to desperate teams for future picks.

I like this strategy but I'm not sure if the Suns would be willing tp give up 5.6M in insurance money unless it is a nice pick or the player coming back can help the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this strategy but I'm not sure if the Suns would be willing tp give up 5.6M in insurance money unless it is a nice pick or the player coming back can help the Suns.

It would be worth it to give up Okafor, lesser picks, and even a young prospect for a better pick. I am just not sure what team would go for it. I do believe there is alot of interest around the league in the Morris twins. When I listen to the feeds of other team's announcers during games, they say alot of positive things. I am wondering if the Morris twins, Archie, even Green and Tucker should be available. They would seem to have value.

I agree with Eric. The Suns next step is the wow player. In the draft, it would probably have to be a top 10 pick and that is a long shot in the 6-10 range. In free agency its going to be LeBron, Carmelo, or Bosh. It doesn't look like a wow player is going to be available on the trade market.

Our best option for a wow player at the moment is on our roster in Bledsoe. We have seen flashes of what he can do, and there is a lot of potential to improve.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
We need a "big" WOW... Forward or center to add to Dragic and Bledsoe. What is the deal with Bosh?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We need a "big" WOW... Forward or center to add to Dragic and Bledsoe. What is the deal with Bosh?

I read that they'd be willing to trade him for a franchise center?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Adding into the mix is the fact that the Suns could potentially have four first round picks coming up in the draft depending on where certain teams finish the season and that gives them the flexibility to make a move. Giving up two first round picks would be hard to swallow, but with two in their pocket after that and a very young team, that could be a move worth making. Rondo would automatically upgrade the team into one of the middle teams in the west and while they would not be better than the Rockets, San Antonio Spurs, La Clippers or Oklahoma City Thunder, bringing on a player of that caliber could at least catch them up.

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/ar...-phoenix-suns-houston-rockets-fit-celtics.htm

"Rondo would automatically upgrade the team into one of the middle teams in the west"

MEH.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm really uninterested in Rondo. He hasn't shown he can do anything without multiple HOFers riding shotgun with him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Rondo's a solid player but 3 fringe All Star level PGs is just stupid and I wouldn't trade either of ours for him.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Yea, I'm not excited about Rondo either. I'm tired of building teams around point guards. No matter how good they are it never seems to work come playoff time. We need a big time PF to add to the existing guards.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
we have 2 Point Guard capable players who this season have shown to be argueably already better than Rondo ever was...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake