Suns trade rumors

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hill is intriguing. He's a good fit for the system, defends well, hustles and rebounds.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Suns figuring out a way to facilitate a trade of Kevin Love to the Lakers. That looks like a real possibility, since the Suns hold both teams' first-round picks in the upcoming draft.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So if thats the trade and you don't like it, I would ask: if Gasol could be had for literally nothing, would you still turn that down? If so, I think thats weird.

It's just money. Okafor's contract is paid by insurance and Gasol's isn't. Every report comes up with a different figure for what the financial impact would be, but the consensus seems to be somewhere around $5 million. (The Lakers would save more than that, because of luxury tax issues.) We don't have a sense of how the current Suns' front office feels about spending figures in that neighborhood.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just money. Okafor's contract is paid by insurance and Gasol's isn't. Every report comes up with a different figure for what the financial impact would be, but the consensus seems to be somewhere around $5 million. (The Lakers would save more than that, because of luxury tax issues.) We don't have a sense of how the current Suns' front office feels about spending figures in that neighborhood.

Yes. That is a boatload of cash to be saved by the Lakers.

I have heard that McDonough has a green light to do a trade like with Okafor. Must have heard it on the radio although not in those words. I think Sarver is probably impressed with McDonough's decision making thus far.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think "helping" the Lakers will benefit us in anyway really seeing that their in our division too.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jordan Hill's per 36 #s: 16 pts, 13 boards on 54% shooting...

:shock:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Just a thought, is it possible to trade for a player and sign an extension in some fashion? I know Melo did something similar (because he wanted the extension before the CBA expired) but I don't know if that was a scenario that was closed in the new one.

Getting Love with an extension would help alleviate some concerns of the short term rental.

I'll research some when I get home...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Jordan Hill's per 36 #s: 16 pts, 13 boards on 54% shooting...

:shock:

Unfortunately most role guys don't keep up their per 36 pace when given the chance.

I'm not sure why the Suns would be interested in Hill. Does he bring anything much different than Plumlee or the Morris twins?

Just a thought, is it possible to trade for a player and sign an extension in some fashion? I know Melo did something similar (because he wanted the extension before the CBA expired) but I don't know if that was a scenario that was closed in the new one.

Getting Love with an extension would help alleviate some concerns of the short term rental.

I'll research some when I get home...

It's possible but not terribly likely. Guys are unlikely to want to forego free agency to sign a long term deal in a place they just arrived and know nothing about.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unfortunately most role guys don't keep up their per 36 pace when given the chance.

I'm not sure why the Suns would be interested in Hill. Does he bring anything much different than Plumlee or the Morris twins?

I think he's better than the Morris twins and him and Plumlee are pretty identical.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan Hill would give the Suns another banger which they sorely need. Also he could probably get some minutes at center. He is still young, so maybe the Suns try to re-sign him as a FA after a test drive. With Plumlee hitting the rookie wall (for the lack of a better description), I think he could help bolster the Suns at FC. Having played at the UofA, he might even feel more comfortable with the Suns as well.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
The Suns do not appear to be interested in acquiring Pau Gasol (groin) and the proposal is "dying quickly," according to NBA.com's David Aldridge.

The Suns are "looking at other stuff now" and it's likely due to the health concerns of Gasol. If the Suns are going to make a push, it doesn't make much sense to go after a player who is not healthy. They have enough assets to strike up a deal with almost any seller, so chances are Gasol won't be going anywhere. In case you missed it earlier, Gasol will not play on Wednesday night.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns do not appear to be interested in acquiring Pau Gasol (groin) and the proposal is "dying quickly," according to NBA.com's David Aldridge.

The Suns are "looking at other stuff now" and it's likely due to the health concerns of Gasol. If the Suns are going to make a push, it doesn't make much sense to go after a player who is not healthy. They have enough assets to strike up a deal with almost any seller, so chances are Gasol won't be going anywhere. In case you missed it earlier, Gasol will not play on Wednesday night.

As you can see, we've already moved on to Jordon Hill. :)

Thanks for the update.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you can see, we've already moved on to Jordon Hill. :)

Thanks for the update.

@WojYahooNBA: Suns are no longer engaged in talks with Lakers on Jordan Hill, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. "Not as of now," one source says.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@WojYahooNBA: Suns are no longer engaged in talks with Lakers on Jordan Hill, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. "Not as of now," one source says.

Okay, next man up.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 51s
Nets would give Lakers nothing for Jordan Hill, who'd go into their exception. So it's a "race" to see who will offer more than nothing.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think he's better than the Morris twins and him and Plumlee are pretty identical.

I know of just one way to get you to appreciate our players. You need to become a die-hard fan of some other team and I PROMISE you, our guys will start looking much better to you.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know of just one way to get you to appreciate our players. You need to become a die-hard fan of some other team and I PROMISE you, our guys will start looking much better to you.
I appreciate our players just fine. I'm just not a homer.

Edit:And I actually like the Morris twins. I'm usually the one that says we should keep them instead of trading them as a throw in in any trades. Hill imo is just better than Kieff. I won't compare him to Marcus anymore cause they play different positions.

Last edited:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I appreciate our players just fine. I'm just not a homer.

You focus on the weaknesses of our players but you seem blinded by the strengths of non-Suns players. Try and take emotion and ego out of this (I know that's hard for those of you with testosterone poisoning:)). Go back and look at your posts and see if you can come up with a reason this team wins given your comments about how bad most of them are and how good so many other players are.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You focus on the weaknesses of our players but you seem blinded by the strengths of non-Suns players. Try and take emotion and ego out of this (I know that's hard for those of you with testosterone poisoning:)). Go back and look at your posts and see if you can come up with a reason this team wins given your comments about how bad most of them are and how good so many other players are.
Just because I think Frye is not that good makes me think most of the Suns players are bad?

I guess it wouldn't be fair for me to say that LeBron is better than all Suns players either.

Like I said, I like Kieff, I just think Hill is better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of funny tweets from Gambo:

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo987 5m

On tomorrows show Colin Cowherd discusses how the Suns should trade Goran Dragic to the Lakers for Steve Nash and a 2nd round pick.

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo987 37m

Colin Cowherd wants the Suns to trade three first-round picks to the Lakers to rent Gasol for 2 months. Seriously? Colin needs a vacation

https://twitter.com/Gambo987

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
McD basically just said that they won't be giving up a 1st rd pick for Pau Gasol.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just because I think Frye is not that good makes me think most of the Suns players are bad?

I guess it wouldn't be fair for me to say that LeBron is better than all Suns players either.

Like I said, I like Kieff, I just think Hill is better.

Oh that's not it at all. You don't just say "Frye is not that good". You've made him out, at times, to be one of the worst players ever. You've systematically destroyed most of the people that wear purple and orange here and on RealGM. You've softened your stance occasionally but as a general rule it appears that you are far more likely to judge our players by their weaknesses and opposing players by their strengths. I think this statement about you is valid even if it turns out that I am at the other end of the spectrum and judging our players mostly by their strengths.

I like Jordan Hill and wouldn't mind seeing us trade for him but I don't think he's anywhere close in value to Frye or Markieff. He's awfully similar in impact to Miles but I think Jordan is already near his peak whereas Plumlee still has quite a bit of untapped potential.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh that's not it at all. You don't just say "Frye is not that good". You've made him out, at times, to be one of the worst players ever. You've systematically destroyed most of the people that wear purple and orange here and on RealGM. You've softened your stance occasionally but as a general rule it appears that you are far more likely to judge our players by their weaknesses and opposing players by their strengths. I think this statement about you is valid even if it turns out that I am at the other end of the spectrum and judging our players mostly by their strengths.

I like Jordan Hill and wouldn't mind seeing us trade for him but I don't think he's anywhere close in value to Frye or Markieff. He's awfully similar in impact to Miles but I think Jordan is already near his peak whereas Plumlee still has quite a bit of untapped potential.
I don't sugercoat things. I call players out for what they are. And please show me where I have been "judging all players by their weakness"? All players have weaknesses and strengths. You have to compare that with what the team needs at the moment.

And I love our team. I have said it many many times on here and Real GM that I prefer to stand PAT and not ruin the chemistry and flexibility that we currently have.

And I have also said that Frye would be great to have off the bench but not as a starter. His weaknesses as a player can be covered up when coming off the bench...that's why the last time he came off the bench was when we made it to the WCFs...and the same reason that we were starting guys like Jarron Collins (or his brother) over him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McD basically just said that they won't be giving up a 1st rd pick for Pau Gasol.

Do you have a source? Also did he say the Suns were looking at other options. I'm just wondering if the Suns will make a move of any kind before the trading deadline.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't sugercoat things. I call players out for what they are. And please show me where I have been "judging all players by their weakness"? All players have weaknesses and strengths. You have to compare that with what the team needs at the moment.

And I love our team. I have said it many many times on here and Real GM that I prefer to stand PAT and not ruin the chemistry and flexibility that we currently have.

And I have also said that Frye would be great to have off the bench but not as a starter. His weaknesses as a player can be covered up when coming off the bench...that's why the last time he came off the bench was when we made it to the WCFs...and the same reason that we were starting guys like Jarron Collins (or his brother) over him.

Maybe it was some other poster I was reading here and on RealGM.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake