Suns trade rumors

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gery Woelfel: League sources say Phoenix, Charlotte, OKC, Minnesota and Sac have Bucks guard Gary Neal on their radar. Twitter @GeryWoelfel

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you have a source? Also did he say the Suns were looking at other options. I'm just wondering if the Suns will make a move of any kind before the trading deadline.
I was listening to his interview on the radio just now and they asked him if he will give up a first round pick for a 3 month rental and he said "Never say never but its unlikely and I would resist the temptation to improve a little for the short run while sacrificing in the long term".

Then he said the importance of late 1st rd picks because of how our entire starting lineup was a late first rd picks or 2nd rd picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gery Woelfel: League sources say Phoenix, Charlotte, OKC, Minnesota and Sac have Bucks guard Gary Neal on their radar. Twitter @GeryWoelfel

Interesting the Suns are involved unless they want to upgrade the guard position.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Interesting the Suns are involved unless they want to upgrade the guard position.

He's a nice D & 3 guy. He'd be a good 3rd guard for us behind Bledsoe and Dragic. He's not as young as I thought (already 29, but only been in the NBA 3 years) though, but thats fine for a role guy.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to Spurs fans Neal isn't very good defensively and that's one of the main reasons Popvich let him go..so no 3 & D, just 3 lol.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Neal is mouthy. He's the one that told Larry Sanders that he should try living up to his contract sometime.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a nice D & 3 guy. He'd be a good 3rd guard for us behind Bledsoe and Dragic. He's not as young as I thought (already 29, but only been in the NBA 3 years) though, but thats fine for a role guy.

Random thoughts: LB and Ish did not help much resting Dragic against Houston. Also what if makes Bledsoe should not return this season.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We dont need Neal, where does he play, what minutes does he get? Where does he fit in out future? Is he a future trade asset?

No.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Then he said the importance of late 1st rd picks because of how our entire starting lineup was a late first rd picks or 2nd rd picks.

Frye was 8th, Green and Bledsoe were 18th. :shrug:

This also factors into us having no All Stars.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He said Green and Bledsoe were late 1st round picks and he actually didn't mention Frye, must have forgotten about him.

I guess he considers 18th as "late" first round picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Drafting early is a great help, but the Suns could put together a pretty good team drafting later. Nash was drafted 15th in the first round and Dragic was selected in the second round as well as Hornacek. Then there are players like Finley, Nance and more later first round picks that have turned out well for the Suns. IMO, it's more about scouting than where you draft or otherwise the bad teams would not keep losing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plumlee 25th pick
Bledsoe 18th pick
Dragic 45th pick
Tucker 35th pick
Frye 7th pick

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
HooverDam,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan88
Jordan Hill's per 36 #s: 16 pts, 13 boards on 54% shooting...
:shock:

Unfortunately most role guys don't keep up their per 36 pace when given the chance.

I'm not sure why the Suns would be interested in Hill. Does he bring anything much different than Plumlee or the Morris twins?

Over the course of his 4.6 years in the league Hill's rebounding rate has increased with his playing time - his shooting pct has increased as well. His value to the team would depend on whether or not Hornacek would play him in the fourth quarter - if not there wouldn't be much reason to pursue him. Our rebounding really suffers at that time and he is a terrific rebounder - his rate is not just a little better than Markieff and Frye - its 50% higher than Markieff and double that of Frye. While he's not a bigtime scorer his offensive efficiency rate is higher than anyone on the Suns so he's not going to hurt the team when he's on the floor (his scoring rate is slightly higher than Frye's and three points lower than Markieff's - per 40 minutes.) His game is closer to Plumlee's than anyone else on the team but he's not afraid of going to the line and he gets there much more than Miles.

His status is that he is in the last year of his contract @ 3.5 million/year. I haven't heard of any current health issues but he missed most of last year. I imagine the Suns would not go after him if Jeff had misgivings about playing him in 4th Q so I'd be happy to see him in a Suns uni.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good...hopefully that means no panic moves.

I wouldn't mind a trade but I think it's safe to say this group won't do one out of panic. I don't much like the Gasol idea (with his injury being the final factor) but I'm still hoping a reasonable deal for Thaddeus can be worked out. Something like Young and Moultrie for Okafor and the Indiana pick this year and our choice of another 1st round pick this year or next. I don't know if he's an upgrade over Frye but it would be nice to have another stretch forward that can replace him or play alongside him. I don't know if that trade makes any sense for Philadelphia but it works from a money standpoint.

I wouldn't mind Monroe either but we'd need to buy into him as a long term addition to make the cost worthwhile. We'd also need to move Frye to the bench and replace him with a strong defender next season. Monroe has a lot of potential but he's a poor defender. I'd be more inclined to go this way if management is starting to view a future without Bledsoe. The pairing of Dragic and Bledsoe necessitates someone like Frye but if we had a strong inside player we could lose Eric and play a more traditional style.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is another trade we could make that would help us this season that's crossed my mind several times. Send the Okafor contract to the Lakers for Kaman and Nash. Kaman gives us a decent backup center and Steve can retire a Sun perhaps without ever stepping on the court. It's the kind of move that makes sense (to me anyway) because it wouldn't be all that big of a shake up. Kaman has played sporadic minutes before and isn't likely to cause problems if he sits out a game or two. He fills a real need and I don't think they'd value him anywhere near as much as Hill. They'd gain financially without giving up anything of consequence so they might not feel the need to hold out for a face-saving draft pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I can't see why we would not to a deal with Okafor's contract to get some value out of it at least, unless money is better than anything offered.

Surely we could get a 2nd rounder for the insured contract plus another expiring at least?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't see why we would not to a deal with Okafor's contract to get some value out of it at least, unless money is better than anything offered.

Surely we could get a 2nd rounder for the insured contract plus another expiring at least?

Even ignoring the profit margins of the franchise, Okafor's insured contract is worth a lot more than a 2nd round pick. They could easily buy second rounder and still have money left over using the money recovered on his deal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is another trade we could make that would help us this season that's crossed my mind several times. Send the Okafor contract to the Lakers for Kaman and Nash. Kaman gives us a decent backup center and Steve can retire a Sun perhaps without ever stepping on the court. It's the kind of move that makes sense (to me anyway) because it wouldn't be all that big of a shake up. Kaman has played sporadic minutes before and isn't likely to cause problems if he sits out a game or two. He fills a real need and I don't think they'd value him anywhere near as much as Hill. They'd gain financially without giving up anything of consequence so they might not feel the need to hold out for a face-saving draft pick.

Nash is owed just under 10 million next season, and I dont see him walking away from that without a significant buyout. That trade would kill our cap space for this summer and the only reward would be a couple gushy articles... until that awkward point when it becomes clear just how bad Nash plays at this point in his career... during the rare moments he is not injured. Not only would Nash make us worse but removing him and his salary probably makes the Lakers better next year, which hurts us because we own their pick.

The Lakers dug themselves a cozy little hole and the Suns should do nothing to help them out of it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Even ignoring the profit margins of the franchise, Okafor's insured contract is worth a lot more than a 2nd round pick. They could easily buy second rounder and still have money left over using the money recovered on his deal.

No, since under the new CBA the amount that teams can spent in trades as cash considerations is limited over time.

"Buying" picks is a lot more costly now because teams won't be able to add cash considerations to other trades when they do that. I am sure it was something like 3.000.000 per year at the most that teams can spent now (or more than a year).

So saving that money from Okafor's deal does not do much good when it comes to flexibility in terms of buying picks in the future. It's only good for the Suns bottom line at the end of the year.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nash is owed just under 10 million next season, and I dont see him walking away from that without a significant buyout. That trade would kill our cap space for this summer and the only reward would be a couple gushy articles... until that awkward point when it becomes clear just how bad Nash plays at this point in his career... during the rare moments he is not injured. Not only would Nash make us worse but removing him and his salary probably makes the Lakers better next year, which hurts us because we own their pick.

The Lakers dug themselves a cozy little hole and the Suns should do nothing to help them out of it.

I guess I didn't think it through far enough. Kaman makes us better but it's a marginal improvement at best and it's not enough to warrant throwing away our cap space.

OTOH, I'm not sure there's anyone out there that we'd really want to use that space on so delaying that cap room for a season might not be as bad as it first sounds. I don't really know but I have no desire to do anything to make Laker life easier. If they had more assets I'd suggest giving them back their pick to help with an offseason deal for Love in return for 2 future unprotected picks but I doubt they have enough to even start a conversation with Minnesota.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No, since under the new CBA the amount that teams can spent in trades as cash considerations is limited over time.

"Buying" picks is a lot more costly now because teams won't be able to add cash considerations to other trades when they do that. I am sure it was something like 3.000.000 per year at the most that teams can spent now (or more than a year).

So saving that money from Okafor's deal does not do much good when it comes to flexibility in terms of buying picks in the future. It's only good for the Suns bottom line at the end of the year.

I thought those purchasable picks were going for half a million or thereabouts? If so, 3 million leaves plenty of room for these kinds of transactions and I don't really see 3 vs 2.5 as being a deal breaker for most trades.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Kaman is underwhelming and Nash is a shell of his former self with a terrible contract.

Pass. Even though I'd love to see Nash retire as a Sun.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Kaman is underwhelming and Nash is a shell of his former self with a terrible contract.

Pass. Even though I'd love to see Nash retire as a Sun.

I agree. I'd trade for Nash this time next year. Play 2 minutes the last game and retire a Sun. Beyond that, no thanks.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I agree. I'd trade for Nash this time next year. Play 2 minutes the last game and retire a Sun. Beyond that, no thanks.

I guess I was a little hard on Kaman, looking at his recent numbers. But he's nowhere near good enough to take on Nash's terrible contract.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake