Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Metu was the best big off the bench in the Detroit game. Hope to see more from him. Will have plenty of opportunity tonight.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KBD just doesn’t look comfortable out there. Just as I say he gets a nice block.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KDB looked a lot better down the stretch.

Metu reeeally likes that right side arch three point shot, he doesn't even want to try to shoot from anywhere else.

Between Metu, KDB and Little, we really need one of those guys to emerge as a really solid role player or the forward position is going to be really thin.

But... it's preseason. It is hard to tell much of anything about the preseason... except maybe what the officials have been told to emphasize, this year it looks to be kicked ball violations, we've seen more in 2 games than we saw in a month last year.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Likely to be cut:

Ish
DLee
Keon

I calling it, DLee and Keon will be cut.

D Lee will still get paid but there's not point in keeping him on when you have guys in the 13-15 range who can do what Lee does and play defense, the injury just adds to that.
Keon...just hasn't shown much and may never be ready for the bigs.
Ish could just be a great locker room guy, everyone seems to love him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Likely to be cut:

Ish
DLee
Keon

I calling it, DLee and Keon will be cut.

D Lee will still get paid but there's not point in keeping him on when you have guys in the 13-15 range who can do what Lee does and play defense, the injury just adds to that.
Keon...just hasn't shown much and may never be ready for the bigs.
Ish could just be a great locker room guy, everyone seems to love him.

D Lee should be cut but it'll be interesting if he is since he has a player option for next season. I'd hope there's some language that can get the Suns out of it because having his salary count against the tax will hurt. That also counts towards the apron, which is the real issue.

Keon Johnson is owed a little more but I think we'll try and find a way to dump him on someone for a heavily protected 2nd rounder or maybe a swap of some sort.

I'm fairly confident Ish is a goner. He may still be eligible for a Two-Way after clearing waivers also. It'll be interesting to see if we bring him back in on that final Two-Way spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D Lee should be cut but it'll be interesting if he is since he has a player option for next season. I'd hope there's some language that can get the Suns out of it because having his salary count against the tax will hurt. That also counts towards the apron, which is the real issue.

Keon Johnson is owed a little more but I think we'll try and find a way to dump him on someone for a heavily protected 2nd rounder or maybe a swap of some sort.

I'm fairly confident Ish is a goner. He may still be eligible for a Two-Way after clearing waivers also. It'll be interesting to see if we bring him back in on that final Two-Way spot.

I'm not sure why Ish is still with the team, but if he is eligible for a two-way contract, I think this is where he will eventually end up. The Suns are attached to him for some reason and he is a good locker room presence but still...

I'd like to keep Keon Johnson as a development player but cutting Damion Lee presents a salary issue for next season as you mention. The Suns might keep Lee for this reason, especially if he can come back this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard if Damion Lee is having surgery for his meniscus injury?

I heard mention of it last night but missed most of the conversation.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Ish is still with the team, but if he is eligible for a two-way contract, I think this is where he will eventually end up. The Suns are attached to him for some reason and he is a good locker room presence but still...

I'd like to keep Keon Johnson as a development player but cutting Damion Lee presents a salary issue for next season as you mention. The Suns might keep Lee for this reason, especially if he can come back this season.
First, the Suns could afford to keep him before the Ayton trade. Second, he is a good locker room guy and now the second-longest tenured Sun. Third, the Suns can keep more than the minimum throughout training camp and preseason, so what is there to not be sure about?

I'm honestly surprised by how much you dislike him considering your history of loving end-of-the-bench players. I'd certainly rather keep him than Keon Johnson, for example.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like end of the bench players that have the ability to improve or contribute. When the Suns need to cut players to get to 15, I can't see how he is not near the top of the list.

I like Ish the person, but I'm not a fan of him as an NBA player. If the Suns want to keep him, a two-way contract is the best option, providing he qualifies.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First, the Suns could afford to keep him before the Ayton trade. Second, he is a good locker room guy and now the second-longest tenured Sun. Third, the Suns can keep more than the minimum throughout training camp and preseason, so what is there to not be sure about?

I'm honestly surprised by how much you dislike him considering your history of loving end-of-the-bench players. I'd certainly rather keep him than Keon Johnson, for example.

It's delaying the inevitable to keep Ish around. He's going to be cut. He can't participate in camp or preseason so odds of him beating anyone out for roster space is essentially zil. He also has the most waivable contract since it isn't guaranteed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like end of the bench players that have the ability to improve or contribute. When the Suns need to cut players to get to 15, I can't see how he is not near the top of the list.

I like Ish the person, but I'm not a fan of him as an NBA player. If the Suns want to keep him, a two-way contract is the best option, providing he qualifies.
How has he not improved? His defense has become a lot better and he can actually shoot the 3 now. He's still end of the bench, but certainly worthy of a spot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's delaying the inevitable to keep Ish around. He's going to be cut. He can't participate in camp or preseason so odds of him beating anyone out for roster space is essentially zil. He also has the most waivable contract since it isn't guaranteed.
Then why hasn't it already happened? If he's everything you say, then why keep him around?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Then why hasn't it already happened? If he's everything you say, then why keep him around?
This team is on another level now - IF Ish sees any playing time (at all) it will be when the game's already been decided and fans are heading to their cars

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How has he not improved? His defense has become a lot better and he can actually shoot the 3 now. He's still end of the bench, but certainly worthy of a spot.
Yeah, he has improved a lot. He is on his way to becoming a PJ Tucker type if he keeps improving. That said I'm not sure he will get much time this year on this team because we will hopefully be blowing most teams out with our starters offense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he has improved a lot. He is on his way to becoming a PJ Tucker type if he keeps improving. That said I'm not sure he will get much time this year on this team because we will hopefully be blowing most teams out with our starters offense.
If the starters are blowing people out, wouldn’t that means there’s a lot of time for end of benchers during mop up duty?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05