Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Goodwin is much more patient and deliberate than Lee. He should do quite well next to Allen, Gordon, Eubanks and Yuta off the bench.

Goodwin can get to where he wants to go with ease, his strength helps a ton.

Lee is like a young Cam Payne with more horrible form, he pushes and pushes too fast sometimes. I like his aggressiveness but for a pg he doesn’t find guys in the right spot at the right time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ball flowed so much better with Goodwin than with Lee.

Goodwin is much more patient and deliberate than Lee. He should do quite well next to Allen, Gordon, Eubanks and Yuta off the bench.

The way I look at it, Saban Lee and Udoka Azubuike are like free ones on a two-way contract.

They are developmental players who can play in a pinch and perhaps, with patience, may turn into standard roster players down the road.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way I look at it, Saban Lee and Udoka Azubuike are like free ones on a two-way contract.

They are developmental players who can play in a pinch and perhaps, with patience, may turn into standard roster players down the road.

I'd really like a more mobile big for the other Two-Way spot. We saw tonight how the C rotation looks minus 1. Who, I'm not sure, but I hope Jones and company pay close attention to waiver wire when preseason ends because there could be someone cut from somewhere that deserves a look. I don't want to be in a spot where we need Azibuike to produce.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who are you most happy to move on from?

CP3 - old, broken, slow pace, standoff-ish, possibly canceruous

Monty - lineups, timeouts, doghouse, favorites

Ayton - lack of a lot of things (aggression, growth, commitment)

These three all have their warts, we managed to move on from them, but who are you most happy to move on from?
This is an interesting question. I’d have to say monty. I think we tapped him out. He maxed his potential with us. We weren’t getting more from him. Particularly with a veteran team. As frustrating as Ayton is - and as much as I’m excited not to root for him anymore - he could be a loss. Likely? No. But could be. So I don’t put him in the same category. I’m not excited to move on from Paul he’s just an example of what happens to even the best players when they get old. It is what it is.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd really like a more mobile big for the other Two-Way spot. We saw tonight how the C rotation looks minus 1. Who, I'm not sure, but I hope Jones and company pay close attention to waiver wire when preseason ends because there could be someone cut from somewhere that deserves a look. I don't want to be in a spot where we need Azibuike to produce.

I agree. However, this need not impact Saban Lee or Azibuike. The Suns have one two-way spot open.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like Wainright is entrenched as our 15th man.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Bol Bol's fan favorite status help him stay? I would hope it was based on merit but you never know.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'd put Keon above Ish and BolBol as far as fit and talent go - but if we're talking vibe - it could be Ish

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are you most happy to move on from?

CP3 - old, broken, slow pace, standoff-ish, possibly canceruous

Monty - lineups, timeouts, doghouse, favorites

Ayton - lack of a lot of things (aggression, growth, commitment)

These three all have their warts, we managed to move on from them, but who are you most happy to move on from?

Monty.

And I say that admiring him as a man but the multi extreme meltdowns in the playoffs are the kiss of death

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to player cuts, here is how I'm leaning.

I'd keep Keon Johnson (21) over Ish Wainright (29). Keon has a chance to become a better player. Wainright should have never progressed beyond a two-way contract.

It's a tough call between Bol Bol and Damion Lee.

The Suns had to sign Bol Bol for a reason and Lee is injured. However, because Damion Lee has another year on his contract, I lean towards keeping him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd put Keon above Ish and BolBol as far as fit and talent go - but if we're talking vibe - it could be Ish

Keon fit? Keon talent?

Just how do you put him above either Ish and Bol with the junk minutes he’s played against other teams 8-15th players? Ish can play the wing or center if it ever came to small ball. He’s even won us a game when he went on that hot streak. Bol Bol just cause the ceiling is so high relative to Ish and Keon, will he ever be tall enough to reach it, who knows but he makes the 15th spot alone on that.

How does he fit better? We have the big 3 who don’t need a guard. Then we have other guys who can also handle in Gordon, Allen and JO.

Sorry I’m not sure what your opinion is based on cause I haven’t seen sheet from Keon.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bol is young enough, I'd think we could cut him and then sign him to a 2way deal. Not sure about the rules on that though.

As is, I don't see how he finds minutes on this team. IMO, he and Keon are the clear cuts right now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds to me like Wainright is entrenched as our 15th man.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vogel also talked Ayton up and convinced a number of people that there was no way we were trading him. What he says doesn't carry much weight at this point. He'd probably hype up Keon, Bol, and Damien Lee if asked as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vogel also talked Ayton up and convinced a number of people that there was no way we were trading him. What he says doesn't carry much weight at this point. He'd probably hype up Keon, Bol, and Damien Lee if asked as well.
That crossed my mind too but I think the situation is a little different with Ish. It still may be nothing more than PR on Vogel's part but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. It's not like he'd be trying to create a trade market for him or motivate him to give us his all, with Ish it's just keep him or release him. Nobody is going to trade for him and he is always going to give his all.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I can't say that I have a clear idea what the Suns will do with the final roster. But for sure, Ish seems like the kind of player you could cut and then if you have injuries or other roster issues later in the season, there's a good chance he's still floating around out there and could be resigned. I am not as sure that the other guys on the roster bubble wouldn't be snapped up by someone else... if the Suns feel ambivalent about letting anyone go.

Mind you, I'm not saying that's how the Suns will decide - just how I would look at it from their position.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bol is young enough, I'd think we could cut him and then sign him to a 2way deal. Not sure about the rules on that though.

As is, I don't see how he finds minutes on this team. IMO, he and Keon are the clear cuts right now.
Agreed

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Lol

Comparing Ish and DA. Ok

DA was a starter. Ish is a 15th man who didn’t need Vogel talking him up. It means something for a guy trying to stick versus a malcontent who they needed to coddle to keep happy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A player is not eligible for a Two-Way contract after their 3rd season in the league. Just so we're clear on the rules. Bol Bol has been around too long.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol

Comparing Ish and DA. Ok

DA was a starter. Ish is a 15th man who didn’t need Vogel talking him up. It means something for a guy trying to stick versus a malcontent who they needed to coddle to keep happy.

I didn't compare their roles, at all. Of course you want to twist what I said when no one seemed to take issue with what I said. Vogel is very positive and talks people up. That's what he does. When he's asked about a player he sells you on them. Like I said initially, if he were asked about D.Lee, Keon, or Bol Bol then I'd expect a similar sound byte. Go ahead and continue cheerleading for Ish, that's fine, but don't try and misrepresent what I said.