Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The one name in there who's a bit of a surprise is DeRozan. I can't really envision him as a HOFer... although he's certain to finish up his career somewhere north of 25k points, and that just about guarantees admission to the Hall. Nevertheless, he has to be just about the most inconsequential high scorer in NBA history.
Not a surprise to me as scoring is literally all he’s ever been known for.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one name in there who's a bit of a surprise is DeRozan. I can't really envision him as a HOFer... although he's certain to finish up his career somewhere north of 25k points, and that just about guarantees admission to the Hall. Nevertheless, he has to be just about the most inconsequential high scorer in NBA history.

DeRozen is this generations Tom Chambers. Back in the 80's and 90's you were essentially guaranteed a HOF nod for hitting 20,000 career points and Chambers got there but still isn't in the Hall. He's one of the only eligible players not named. Antawn Jamison is the only other to crack 20k points and not be named. Both he and TC just made it past that mark. TC is 20,049 points and Jamison at 20,042. Joe Johnson isnt eligible yet, he last played in the 21-22 season. He has 20,407 and we're likely to see more crack that 20k point mark. I wonder with scoring being up if they'll raise that mark.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DeRozen is this generations Tom Chambers. Back in the 80's and 90's you were essentially guaranteed a HOF nod for hitting 20,000 career points and Chambers got there but still isn't in the Hall. He's one of the only eligible players not named. Antawn Jamison is the only other to crack 20k points and not be named. Both he and TC just made it past that mark. TC is 20,049 points and Jamison at 20,042. Joe Johnson isnt eligible yet, he last played in the 21-22 season. He has 20,407 and we're likely to see more crack that 20k point mark. I wonder with scoring being up if they'll raise that mark.

Yeah, I don't think DeRozan sniffs the HoF. He is a great mid range shooter... but he does absolutely nothing else well. With his limitations as a play maker and his unwillingness to shoot outside, there is a hard ceiling on how effective he can be, and if he isn't shooting well on a given night, he's a liability.

There are a few sites that have Hall of Fame probability charts and DeRozan is rather far down the list. His playoff numbers are fight night material.

One of the guys who score really really high on hall of fame predictors but so far has not gotten any traction... Shawn Marion.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What's really interesting, is arguably the Mercury have a better GM in Nick U'ren than the Phoenix Suns GM James Jones. Obviously JJ has na Executive Of The Year award.

U'Ren is a Phoenix native who spent his first five years in professional basketball ascending to the position of head video coordinator with the Suns. After arriving in Golden State, U'Ren worked closely with coach Steve Kerr as special assistant to the head coach/director of coaching operations.

U'Ren transitioned into a front office role working with two-time Executive of the Year Bob Myers and current Warriors GM Mike Dunleavy Jr. during the franchise's run of four NBA championships.

This guy has been one of the hot names mentioned in the NBA. I believe the Suns wanted to interview him in the past.

Already, he had a well respected move in trading the Mercury's first round pick for a former WNBA Finals MVP. Why it was respected he did his homework and knew the one of the best players decided to go back to school for one more season even before it was announced, and maximized the pick. After the top three WNBA draft picks, there is a drop off in talent. If he would have kept the pick the Mercury would have been on the outside looking in on top talent. It's going to be interesting too see how he puts together a team versus JJ. U'ren is a really top notch hire for the WNBA. Could he get moved up to the Suns? That would be interesting also.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, maybe the Suns should consider signing Gilyard to a two-way contract if given the opportunity. They would need to waive a point guard like Maledon

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, maybe the Suns should consider signing Gilyard to a two-way contract if given the opportunity. They would need to waive a point guard like Maledon

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Are we allowed to do ten day contracts no being in the second tier?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we allowed to do ten day contracts no being in the second tier?

That's a good question. Maybe not, but the Suns could waive Maledon and sign Gilyard to a two-way contract or a regular roster spot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a good question. Maybe not, but the Suns could waive Maledon and sign Gilyard to a two-way contract or a regular roster spot.

We can do 10 day contracts but signing Gilyard to a Two-Way wouldn't make much sense if his NBA days are up. He couldn't play for us since he's reached his NBA games limit. That carries over from team to team. We could sign him on a 10 day and get a look though.

This is part of why we need a G-League team. Not being able to sign and assign youngsters sucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can do 10 day contracts but signing Gilyard to a Two-Way wouldn't make much sense if his NBA days are up. He couldn't play for us since he's reached his NBA games limit. That carries over from team to team. We could sign him on a 10 day and get a look though.

This is part of why we need a G-League team. Not being able to sign and assign youngsters sucks.

The Suns could sign him to a standard contract as well if like what they saw.

I agree, the Suns need a G-League team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns could sign him to a standard contract as well if like what they saw.

I agree, the Suns need a G-League team.
Ishbia announced next year we will have one and it will be in PHX, not Prescott or Tucson.