Suns Versus The Magic

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns have proven they can beat teams that have playing well. Now, can they avoid a let down against a bad team.

The Magic are a bad team. They have lost 9 of their last ten (including their last three) and traded away their biggest offensive thread in the erratic Steve Francis. To make matters worse, while the Magic are dangerous at home (14-14), they are only 6 and 13 on the road.

The Magic are only a half game ahead of the Hawks. :doi:

Their stats tell a grim story. The Magic average only 92.8 ppg while giving up 96.1 ppg (25th point differential). Dwight Howard is the Magic's top scorer at only 15.6 ppg. They shoot a reasonable 46.% but permit opponents to shoot 45.8% and 36% for three (both 20th in the NBA). They rank 24th in free throw shooting.

The Magic has some good three point shooters, but don't shoot them much. So far they have taken 584 three pointers and hit 213. By contrast, the Suns have shot 539 of 1394.

Even under the best of conditions, the Magic do not look like they will match up with the Suns on the road. In the Suns loss in Orlando, the Magic shot exceptionally well, hitting 54.7% and 50% for three (5 of 10). Since then, the Suns defense has improved and the Magic's offense has regressed.

This is another game where focus matters. If the Suns play their game, it should not be close.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
It isn't that the Magic are only a half game above the Hawks, it is how in the world are the Hawks a half game behind the Magic?!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marion needs to outrebound Howard for the rebounding title.

The latest trends show Marion, Wallace and Garnett soon overtaking Howard so Marion needs to get a bigger lead on those guys as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
It isn't that the Magic are only a half game above the Hawks, it is how in the world are the Hawks a half game behind the Magic?!

Is it that *gulp* Joe Johnson is beginning to lead that team to the 4th worst team in the league?

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The key will be controlling Hedo i think (who by the way has been nominated for a spot on the All-Ugly team )

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
chiunit said:
The key will be controlling Hedo i think (who by the way has been nominated for a spot on the All-Ugly team )

he's the captain!:thumbup:
On another note, game time was changed and is not on ESPN as originally planned. 7:00 pm game time phx time

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
I'll be watching this one for sure. I think the Suns should take this one easily, but it will be interesting if the Suns sleep on this game. If the Magic can slow the game down somewhat, and if Howard gets in an offensive rhythm against whatever Suns stiff he's up against, it could be interesting. Watch for Darko and Arroyo who have both been playing very well, and who are suited to a running game.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It will great to finally see Darko play. It already looks like he's much better than he was able to show in Detroit, just from his game stats the last 4 games. Given the way the Suns have played against struggling teams - and the way they've played against us - I think I'd take Orlando against the line tonight (not that I know what the line is, but I'd guess seven/eight points). If Darko has enough quickness to deal with defending Boris, we could get killed on the boards. Milic got 9 in 26 min his last game. He's also averaging 3 blks in about 23 mpg over the last 4.

Of course, we have Burke going for us now!! It's great to see him finally putting forth some effort. One can't say he's exactly sparkling but at least he's made it over to the positive side of the ledger for the last two games.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
I guarantee Burke is going to get seriously abused by Howard at some point at this game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
I guarantee Burke is going to get seriously abused by Howard at some point at this game.

Well, duh. :D You say that like it's some unexpected thing.

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
goldseraph said:

He just did. Fortunately, Orlando is too stupid to realize that enormous mismatch.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I predict in a couple weeks james jones will be in the position pat burke was just in, on the bench not getting much time. The combination of tim thomas playing well and james currently playing like garbage will lead to this.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I didn't see anything on James Jones's part that would warrant calling his game so far garbage. He's made a couple nice defensive plays so far. His shooting is still off though. Tim Thomas looks good so far (He seems like he put on some bulk too).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So? How did Tim Thomas look? Did Tim Thomas look all right? Does it look like Tim Thomas could get a lot of time with the Suns? It's been awhile since Tim Thomas played.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
chiunit said:
I didn't see anything on James Jones's part that would warrant calling his game so far garbage. He's made a couple nice defensive plays so far. His shooting is still off though. Tim Thomas looks good so far (He seems like he put on some bulk too).

I don't know, it seems everytime he has a WIDE OPEN shot he clanks it.

mribnik

Reaction score
I'm not watching, but it appears as though the Suns are playing the worst defense of the season (even worse than the bobcats game).

We gave up 40 freaking points to the magic in the third quarter, unbelievable.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
mribnik said:
I'm not watching, but it appears as though the Suns are playing the worst defense of the season (even worse than the bobcats game).

We gave up 40 freaking points to the magic in the third quarter, unbelievable.

Dwight Howard and their guards can bascially do whatever they want and we aren't stopping them.

Tim Thomas with 14 pts in 13 minutes

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Tim Thomas with 14 pts in 13 minutes

17 pts in 15 minutes now. Seems like he's gonna fit right in.

Knotted at 100 right now. Both teams are just shooting lights-out.

mribnik

Reaction score
kaesile said:
17 pts in 15 minutes now. Seems like he's gonna fit right in.

Knotted at 100 right now. Both teams are just shooting lights-out.

The magic are shooting .623 right now, unbelievable. Lots of layups. Absolutely no defense at all apparently.

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why does it seem like bad teams always shoot lights out when playing us? Just crazy these teams shoot such a high % against us not like we are playing that bad of defense they are making everything?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Message to the Suns: GUARD SOMEONE ... ANYONE I DON'T CARE WHO

The defense this game has been embarassing