Suns vs Lakers Saturday May 6, 2006 game thread

mribnik

Reaction score
LOL. I just saw a picture of the sign that said, "Kobe, welcome to the octagon." The sign was shaped like an octagon. That's awesome..

I'm sure Kobe thinks about Raja's defense some, but not as much as he does against the likes of Bowen and Artest. Raja isn't at that level yet. I'm sure Kobe thinks about it though.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mribnik said:
LOL. I just saw a picture of the sign that said, "Kobe, welcome to the octagon." The sign was shaped like an octagon. That's awesome..

I'm sure Kobe thinks about Raja's defense some, but not as much as he does against the likes of Bowen and Artest. Raja isn't at that level yet. I'm sure Kobe thinks about it though.

The point is he couldn't even say "Raja did a nice job."

What a fool.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

What a fool.
If someone called you "pompous and arrogant" in the media would you start kissing their ass after the series?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Quick job, Im thinking about making an avatar-sized one in a bit.

You must be registered for see images

Come by and Post anytime :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this game, but I love the heart and chemistry of this Phoenix Suns team even more.

This team is not a quiter and has the heart of a Champion, whether they make it that far or not.

I know this Suns team is small upfront but this voice inside me keeps saying this may be a team of destiny. I can only hope.

Only time will tell, but I will be proud either way.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Renz said:
If someone called you "pompous and arrogant" in the media would you start kissing their ass after the series?

After they clearly got into your head and had the last laugh? Probably not. Good point

bko32

Registered
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

What a fool.

kobe is coming off as a sore loser by not giving raja ANY credit. however, kobe was having a pretty good game and has played pretty well this entire series despite bell's defense. so i can see how he would say this. but, kobe, you lost, shut up and take the loss like a man. even if you don't think raja is a great defender, give him credit for battling you and helping the suns win. damn, i think you guys are starting to wear on me. i'm starting to turn on kobe. :eek:

mribnik

Reaction score
Anybody remember toward the end where they showed the statistic for the highest FG% in a game 7 and the Boston Celtics had the record with 60.8%. At the time the Suns were shooting 58.6%. The Suns ended up shooting 61% and change. That's pretty dang impressive.

oh, and LOL to Steve Nash's comment about Diaw and Barbosa losing their virginity.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:

I wouldn't. Neither has any respect for the other, why should they feign it?

Kobe came across not as a sore loser btw..he was very congratulatory of the Suns players and their offensive firepower, even saying he didn't feel safe up 3-1 because of the way the Suns could light it up. He had nothing but props for the suns, sans Raja.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
Nope, I am dead serious. Cassel is about as tough a matchup for Nash as there is in the NBA, and Brand (to a lesser degree Kaman too) will be unstopable. Then you have Magette, Livingstone and Radmanovic who can explode at any moment. I hope I am wrong man, but if I were a betting man, my money would be on the Clippers.

If you thought the Lakers big men killed us, just wait till we play the Clipps.

The only good thing is that they dont have kobe.

We can beat em, but it will be tough.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boisesuns said:
Come by and Post anytime :)
Thanks. I wish I had the time to post in the Suns board more rather than just infrequently posting in the game day threads.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
If you thought the Lakers big men killed us, just wait till we play the Clipps.

The only good thing is that they dont have kobe.

We can beat em, but it will be tough.

Sam drives the Suns crazy. The funny thing is that Brand always gets in foul trouble against the Suns. However, Sam always torches us. The Clippers are better then the Suns. There is no chance this series ends before 7.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:

I think it was a much better plan for him to come as pompous and arrogant instead.

Maximus

Reaction score
Renz said:

Not if you really are pompous and arrogant.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I'm not willing to say the Clippers are better than the Suns, not yet. They are better down low, but overall, we have more talent. However, when you are good down low in the playoffs, it is to your advantage against the Suns. It takes away long rebounds and the running game from the Suns.

Those are things that can be overcome. I do believe the Suns have the talent to beat the Clippers in 6-7 games. It will be a tough and fun series to watch.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
Sam drives the Suns crazy. The funny thing is that Brand always gets in foul trouble against the Suns. However, Sam always torches us. The Clippers are better then the Suns. There is no chance this series ends before 7.

I disagree about the Clips being better. But it will be a tough series. The Clips don't have anyone to get superstar calls though. In fact, with Nash, we might have the edge in that dept.

If we get KT back by game 2 or 3, it would be a great help.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved watching today's game.

Seeing us up by 33 pts was just... wow.

WOW!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but if Phil Jackson had left Kobe in the remainder of the game in the second half, IMO, there would have been a major incident that would make Raja's suspension look like a walk in the park.

If I read Kobe's body language correctly he was ready to go off.

I'm sorry to admit, I was hoping Jackson would leave him in the game for the whole second half so the world could see Kobe erupt. His ego not only hurt the Lakers but gave anyone who was watching the game a good glimpse of Kobe deliberately sabotaging Phil Jackson's game plan.

Actually I think Jackson's game plan to push the ball inside on Phoenix was good. Unfortunately, Kobe was pouting too much in the second half to give it a good try for the whole game. All Kobe had to do was play like a PG and take the open shots and it might have been a battle. But no... Kobe refused to shoot.

It's sad in a way as I think the other Laker players really came to play. The Suns just played better.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What's the whole Octagon thing about?

As far as the next round goes, screw the Clippers. If they play better than the Suns and win, that's okay by me. This series showed enough for me to be enthusiastic about the Suns' future, and that's what matters.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Burke outscores Kobe Bryant in the 2nd half!!!!

:biglaugh:

mribnik

Reaction score
elindholm said:
What's the whole Octagon thing about?

As far as the next round goes, screw the Clippers. If they play better than the Suns and win, that's okay by me. This series showed enough for me to be enthusiastic about the Suns' future, and that's what matters.

The Octagon comment was referring to Kobe Bryant's comments after game 5 and the Raja incident. He said something like, "welcome to the octagon," liking Raja's play to something that would happen in a UFC bout.

Edit: UFC meaning "ultimate fighting championship." They brawl in an octagon.

cly2tw

Reaction score
To be fair, it's really not Kobe's fault that they lost. They surprised us with going to the bits-players early in the series, but with time we figured out how to defend them. In the end, Kobe remained the only reliable scoring option for them that that's the end of it.

Most importantly, with time, our young players Diaw and LB got more and more confident at their offensive roles despite less room for operation in the playoffs. Oh, JJ starting gave him a lot of confidence too, and he has been quietly effective the last 3 games. With a loose TT, we are offensively just to strong for the Lakers to handle. And I believe we'll have the same confidence and offensive execution against the Clippers.

Go Suns!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
mribnik said:
The Octagon comment was referring to Kobe Bryant's comments after game 5 and the Raja incident. He said something like, "welcome to the octagon," liking Raja's play to something that would happen in a UFC bout.

Ah, I see, I had missed that quote. I thought maybe the shape of the Suns arena was an octagon.

Anyway, since "octa" means "eight" and this was Bryant's last game wearing that jersey number, we now have ... octa-gone. Heh.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
mribnik said:
LOL. I just saw a picture of the sign that said, "Kobe, welcome to the octagon." The sign was shaped like an octagon. That's awesome...

I liked the one with a drawing of a clothesline with Laker jerseys hanging on it "Clothesline for sale...see Raja for details."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05