Suns vs. Pacers

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Should be a good test tonight.
Nice to see Marion back.

Go SUNS

and of course:

Should be a fun game to watch / listen to.

Suns better win this game.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
WHY WHY WHY

..double team O'Neal this early? Lets see if Amare can defend him and force a tough shot.

Leads to an easy put back under the basket.

agggrhhhh!!

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That was a good block on Marion by Miller. Marion got saved by the ref. Why do they run such bad fast breaks. 3-on-1 and Marion didn't pass to the open Marbury.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: WHY WHY WHY

Originally posted by SirChaz
..double team O'Neal this early? Lets see if Amare can defend him and force a tough shot.

Leads to an easy put back under the basket.

agggrhhhh!!

Heh, that's exactly what I was coming here to write. Worse than that is that they are immediately double teaming on Al Harrington. Make these guys prove they can beat the Suns players one-on-one before they are double teamed. It should be especially true against a well coached team like Indiana that will know how to pass.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns are double teaming literally anyone they can. No surprise.

They even double team against non-superstars on the perimeter like Jalen Rose.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I don't know what Pollard's game is like this year, but at least he got rid of that goofy haircut and facial hair. :p

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, I'm certainly not going to complain about the referees tonight. As far as I could see both of the calls on Reggie Miller were bogus, and that last one in the quarter on Harrington was pretty weak as well.

I think this quarter was a good example of why I do not like that +/- statistic. Obviously the Suns outscored the Pacers with Penny Hardaway in the game, and they were outscored with Joe Johnson. But Penny Hardaway did absolutely nothing to cause the difference. Marbury made a few jump shots. Tom Gugliotta made a few jump shots in transition. The Suns defense was better when Hardaway was in the game because they had gone to the zone. Basically there are too many other factors to consider that a good statistic.

That's my $.02 anyhow.

Joe Mama

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think this quarter was a good example of why I do not like that +/- statistic. Obviously the Suns outscored the Pacers with Penny Hardaway in the game, and they were outscored with Joe Johnson. But Penny Hardaway did absolutely nothing to cause the difference. [/B]

I agree. +/- is a very bad stat to analyze. It may be reasonable over more than a season, but even then it relies on a lot of other variables.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Looking good so far! :thumbup:

I'm with you on the +/- stat Joe. If the other 4 players were the same that stat might mean something.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by carey
Crap, Barbosa down!

Well he stayed in the game. He went down pretty hard though. :eek:

It like he landed on his back. He came out but looks like he is still in some pain.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, so far I think he would be hard to argue that the Phoenix Suns looked worse with Penny Hardaway in the game. Once he came out the offense went rather stagnant.

I'm not sure what Marbury was complaining about when he got that technical. I wouldn't have put him at the line either.

I hope Barbosa will be OK. Shawn Marion is sent back in the game yet. I wonder if they are just trying to limit his minutes, or if his ankle is bothering him too much.

These guys are allowing Jermaine O'Neal to get too deep.

Joe Mama

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Just Wondering

Why doesn't Amare jump for the opening tip? I mean he is taller than White, and most likely can jump much higher. I was just thinking about this when I watched Oneal do the opening tip instead of Foster for the Pacers tonight.......

Any ideas?

And yes, I know Frank is a moron :D

matt_whitlock

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I got news for you guys - Penny Hardaway deserves to be playing over Joe Johnson. The offense runs 10 times as smooth when Penny's other there running things. It doesn't even matter that Joe Johnson sucks, Penny simply deserves to be playing out there.

That +/- stat doesn't always tell the story, but tonight it does. Phoenix went on a run when Penny started making the smart basketball decisions he makes. He had 4 points on 2-2 shooting, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block in just 11 minutes of play in the first half. JJ had 2 points on his trademark 25% shooting, only had 1 assist and 1 steal in 18 minutes. His defense isn't close to what it's cracked up to be, and his somebody-shot-his-dog demeanor isn't very fun to watch either.

You can deny it all you want, but the Suns are a better team when Penny is playing a lot of minutes.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That wasn't hooking at all. Notice Jermaine look at the ref right before it happened? He must have said something about Amare to the ref earlier and the ref made a bad assumption.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tobiazz
That wasn't hooking at all. Notice Jermaine look at the ref right before it happened? He must have said something about Amare to the ref earlier and the ref made a bad assumption.

You must have been looking from an angle because it was hooking all the way. He used his left elbow to hook Jermaine O'Neal and get around him.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
We are in big trouble right now.

They really need to try harder as a team to get Amare involved offensively.

matt_whitlock

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is Penny's number 2? Because I just saw #2 on the Suns stand there with his thumb up his butt on defense as Anthony Johnson cut backdoor for a wide-open layup when #2 should've dropped down, and I figure you guys say Penny does that so he must be #2...

If he is still the same guy I think he is, #1, then this game is over, because Penny just came out of the game for Shawn Marion.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Jermain O'Neal has absolutely destroyed Amare tonight.

And, that's puttin' it lightly.

matt_whitlock

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Jermain O'Neal has absolutely destroyed Amare tonight.

And, that's puttin' it lightly.

Amare's 21 years old. Two years from now, he'll probably destroy a guy like O'neal.

That said, it doesn't help us tonight though.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Will someone get on the floor and grab the ball?:rolleyes:

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by matt_whitlock
Amare's 21 years old. Two years from now, he'll probably destroy a guy like O'neal.

That said, it doesn't help us tonight though.

Don't count on it. Jermaine O'Neal is good.

He'll always give Amare fits.