Suns wanted KG but Wolves did not want Amare!

fordronken

Reaction score
It could also have been financial. In addition, if McHale had traded for Stoudemire and then his knee gave out, he would never be able to live it down. Getting Jefferson means they can play the "we're young" card for a long time, keep costs down and not have to worry about too much pressure.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It could also have been financial. In addition, if McHale had traded for Stoudemire and then his knee gave out, he would never be able to live it down. Getting Jefferson means they can play the "we're young" card for a long time, keep costs down and not have to worry about too much pressure.

I think you're close. Jefferson gets $6mil over the next two seasons, so if he falters from his "break out season" it won't hurt the books that much. If the Wolves do not excersice all of their team options next summer they will be almost $38mi under the cap. Even if they do, they'll still be almost $30mil under.

With Amare they would have been strapped for four more years w/ his contract, and whoever else's the Suns had to include. Bball skills aside this trade gives Minney a lot of cap flexibility next season

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
im not trying to chase 4rings away i have no problem with him posting i just meant that this thread means nothign to me because of the context of the thread. I am sick of talking about KG this and KG that so when some SI write puts this article out I am just dull to anything they say anymore.....4rings can post all he wants ............did someone say something about beer? :beer:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Not a bad post, not sure what the problem is.

While I agree with George and Cheese that this is probably just spin from McHale, if true, then the Suns really had no chance.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And who loses money when they win the championship, let alone three?

Well, ownership, obviously.

What's the financial difference between the Suns and Spurs? The Suns have some significant bad contracts (Marion, Diaw, Banks) and the Spurs don't. That's why the Spurs have a better team that costs less. So the Suns have two options:

1. Say, "We overpaid some guys and we're going to pay the price, but screw it, we're still going to make this team as good as it can be, because those mistakes have already been made."

2. Say, "Damn, those contracts are killing us. We'd better cut back on some luxuries, but we can still be pretty good."

Sarver can't be so stupid as not to realize that the Suns had a much better chance at a title before they began their fire sale. He'd lose money (or perhaps profit less) if the Suns maintained a championship-caliber roster, and it's not worth it to him. So yes, he's the one that would lose money with a title, and he's the one that will profit by coming up short.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If you told me the Suns could make a trade that would guarantee the next 3 championships but then they'd have to rebuild from the ground floor I'd take it without thinking.

Come to think of it I'd do the same thing for one guaranteed championship.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And who loses money when they win the championship, let alone three?

I'm gonna say... no one? Or maybe the fans (which I'm sure they'd gladly do to an extent as teams that win three titles can get away with ticket price increases, will benefit from a merchandising perspective, boons in local/cable TV deals, not to mention added revenue from extra playoff games and a boom in corporate sponsorships. I think it's folly to think a team could lose money while winning three titles, especially if they're only paying out 8 million in luxury taxes.