Texas vs ASU in San Diego?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fans here in Texas are hinting that matchup might happen in the Holiday Bowl.

A couple of days in San Diego and then back to Phoenix to watch the Cards clinch the NFC West against the Rams. What a fun week that would be.

HooverDam

Reaction score
ASU still seems to have a shot at the Fiesta as far as I can tell, and an outside shot at the Rose (if ASU wins and UCLA stuns USC), so they may not be going to San Diego.

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
ASU still seems to have a shot at the Fiesta as far as I can tell, and an outside shot at the Rose (if ASU wins and UCLA stuns USC), so they may not be going to San Diego.

I hadn't thought about the Fiesta but you're right. I'd say ASU would probably be the most attractive at large team for them if the SunDevils beat Arizona.

Probably be ASU vs Oklahoma or Kansas. Won't be Missouri because if the Tigers beat OU Missouri plays in the BCS title game.

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I hadn't thought about the Fiesta but you're right. I'd say ASU would probably be the most attractive at large team for them if the SunDevils beat Arizona.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
So...if we beat Arizona and BC loses to V-Tech we should get the last at-large bid to go to the Fiesta Bowl, right? Since only two teams can go from each conference and there's 10 spots now...

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score

I think you might be wrong about this. I agree that for the game itself it would be good to have ASU there because it would most certainly sell out. However, the game is actually only a small portion of it. If ASU is in the Fiesta Bowl, the city, hotels, restaurants, and other such things loose so much money because no one will be traveling. I actually will be in town that day and I'd love to go but I doubt this happens.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might be wrong about this. I agree that for the game itself it would be good to have ASU there because it would most certainly sell out. However, the game is actually only a small portion of it. If ASU is in the Fiesta Bowl, the city, hotels, restaurants, and other such things loose so much money because no one will be traveling. I actually will be in town that day and I'd love to go but I doubt this happens.

The bowl selection committee is full of ASU alums, fans, acquaintances, and otherwise people who relish the ongoing relationship between FB and ASU. The FB committee plays party hosts whenever a big BCS opponent comes to town for an ASU game. The relationship is very strong. If ASU beats UA and the ACC doesn't force the issue by getting two teams in the BCS, it's almost a foregone conclusion they will get in. Trust me when I say the FB selection committee does not put all their weight into maximizing the dollars for Glendale (or Tempe when they were in SDS). They want bowl ratings and they love esoteric matchups. They love to be the first at something, or at least appear different than all the other bowls.

That's assuming USC doesn't lay an egg vs. UCLA and ASU beats UA. At this point, considering the season we've seen, who effin knows.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Gaddabout is right, plus the selection committee isn't staffed by the city of Glendale, nor does the Fiesta bowl gain any money from hotel revenue. They took UA in 1994 or whenever it was, they'd be happy to take ASU if possible. Especially considering how long its been since ASU went to the Fiesta Bowl, I'm sure they'd love to have them back.

EDIT: Mark May just predicted ASU-Kansas on tv, for what its worth.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I've heard ASU- Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl and Texas- Oregon in the Holiday.

Take that for what it's worth, but I also got some pretty good information last year from people who told me that the Fiesta was going to be Boise State- Oklahoma.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Aren't you the same lot that was countin' chickens before the SC game?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Gaddabout is right, plus the selection committee isn't staffed by the city of Glendale, nor does the Fiesta bowl gain any money from hotel revenue. They took UA in 1994 or whenever it was, they'd be happy to take ASU if possible. Especially considering how long its been since ASU went to the Fiesta Bowl, I'm sure they'd love to have them back.

EDIT: Mark May just predicted ASU-Kansas on tv, for what its worth.

The only team the feista bowl goes out of its way to fall over is Notre Dame. The bowl on itself is a survialist ***** who will do anything to promote their game to stay on top (Not a bad thing). Whomever is hottest they will take. I could definately see them bypassing ASU is the at large team is worth the publicity, the BSC bowls have done it before.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me just preface all further comments by noting that I work with the FB, and I know people on the selection committee. The USC loss did nothing to dampen their ASU love. Verbatim, one membre told me the Fiesta Bowl would, "love to be the first BCS bowl for ASU. We would do it right. It makes sense because of the history."

Again, certain things have to fall in place, starting with ASU beating UA. That's *never* a foregone conclusion.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Aren't you the same lot that was countin' chickens before the SC game?

Aren't people ever going to realize that fans can count chickens and it doesn't matter. We don't play the games, its fun to speculate. It doesn't matter that we were talking about ASU maybe going to the title game, that didn't cause them to lose.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Let me just preface all further comments by noting that I work with the FB, and I know people on the selection committee. The USC loss did nothing to dampen their ASU love. Verbatim, one membre told me the Fiesta Bowl would, "love to be the first BCS bowl for ASU. We would do it right. It makes sense because of the history."

Again, certain things have to fall in place, starting with ASU beating UA. That's *never* a foregone conclusion.

Its may be out of their hands at this point.

The devils are ranked 13 in the BCS. They need to be in the top 12 to get a "at large" entry in the BCS and quite frankly I'm not sure beating a lousy U of A team is going to make it so we overtake Hawaii.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The devils are ranked 13 in the BCS. They need to be in the top 12 to get a "at large" entry in the BCS and quite frankly I'm not sure beating a lousy U of A team is going to make it so we overtake Hawaii.

The formula has changed this year, and the way I understand a bowl can go down as far as 18th to pick a team they like.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score

Virginia Tech will beat BC. Top 12. :)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The formula has changed this year, and the way I understand a bowl can go down as far as 18th to pick a team they like.

The top 12 only refers to non-BCS conference schools, like Hawaii.

It was 9 wins and top 14 in the BCS standings, with only two schools max from one conference. There was a real possibility before last week that there would not be 10 teams in the top 14 that met the criteria, so it was expanded to top 18. Since Hawaii looks like they will get one of the at-large bids, that is not as much of an issue now.

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd bet on an Oklahoma v ASU matchup.

I'm also predicting Ohio State v West Virginia for the BCS title.

Simply because OU beating Missouri is the outcome I like the least and so is the most likely to happen.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If we lose to the Cats this season is a failure.

Beat the Cats and let the BCS turds decide, who cares.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I'd bet on an Oklahoma v ASU matchup.

I'm also predicting Ohio State v West Virginia for the BCS title.

Simply because OU beating Missouri is the outcome I like the least and so is the most likely to happen.

Ol' Gambo reported yesterday that the Fiesta bowl would pick Oklahoma vs. Kansas if Oklahoma can beat Missouri. To be honest, I agree with that scenario. However, if Oklahoma loses, I believe it will be ASU vs. Kansas in the Fiesta.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ol' Gambo reported yesterday that the Fiesta bowl would pick Oklahoma vs. Kansas if Oklahoma can beat Missouri. To be honest, I agree with that scenario. However, if Oklahoma loses, I believe it will be ASU vs. Kansas in the Fiesta.

Gamb rarely ever reports, mostly he 'speculates.'

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Even though OU and Kansas didn't play in the regular season this year I just can't see that matchup.

Of course it won't happen this year but I would bet the Fiesta bowl's dream game would be ASU v Nebraska.

Hard to believe that ASU hasn't played in the Fiesta since 1983.