The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's something I don't get. You need a three to tie.

So you roll out Ronny, Luke, Lamar, Fish and Kobe. Luke gets an open shot, picks his ass and tosses it to Kobe as the clock goes off.

Why not Kobe, Fisher, Farmar, Sasha and Vlad? Kobe would be the worst three point shooter on the floor, in that scenario.

Bynum come back...

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They should fire Phil...he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. :sarcasm:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol, yeah they should just move the team

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
This team without Bynum is absolutely horrible. By the time Bynum gets back, we'll be lucky to even still be in the top 8. While Kobe is still the best player in the NBA, Bynum is obviously the MVP of the team. With him, they are one of the top 3 in the league, without him, they're a lottery team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team without Bynum is absolutely horrible. By the time Bynum gets back, we'll be lucky to even still be in the top 8. While Kobe is still the best player in the NBA, Bynum is obviously the MVP of the team. With him, they are one of the top 3 in the league, without him, they're a lottery team.

I most certainly would not go that far. Without Kobe, they are lottery and without Bynum, they are 8 seed material, just like last year. Together though, that is a championship caliber squad...I am not afraid to say it.

Having both Bynum and Ariza out though (and Mihm...no depth at all behind Kwame) is just murder.

God, if it were ONLY just Bynum that were out...we'd have won against Dallas and tonight.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I most certainly would not go that far. Without Kobe, they are lottery and without Bynum, they are 8 seed material, just like last year. Together though, that is a championship caliber squad...I am not afraid to say it.

Having both Bynum and Ariza out though (and Mihm...no depth at all behind Kwame) is just murder.

God, if it were ONLY just Bynum that were out...we'd have won against Dallas and tonight.

I'm sure you're right, I'm just speaking out of frustration. I was really starting to enjoy watching this team play and then all these injuries hit, it's so frustrating. To sit here and watch them play like that and remember that when we had everyone, we had the best record in the west is just murder.

Patience is a virtue though, and one I need to learn. Those guys will be back, and we should still have a shot at one of the top 4 seeds if they can just find a way to win till those guys return. I have to admit, going into this year, I never thought Bynum would be this important to the team. His improvement still simply amazes me. You're right though, Kobe is still the team MVP.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team actually plays well without Kobe. During the last Suns' game the rest of the team cut into the lead while Kobe sat on the bench. :thumbup:

We also fared better in recent years with Kobe out of the lineup than we did without a player like Odom missing games.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so Kobe puts down a damn near triple double tonight.

Though we needed a tough fourth quarter to beat a sorry Knicks squad.

Stars of the game: Ronny with 14-9 and 5 blocks. and...

SASHA!!!! 20 pts, 12 in the fourth and great d. I love me some Sasha-time. The Machine needs resigned.

Put that losing streak to bed...finally!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm...I don't like the Pistons. I really don't like Lamar taking airballed potential gamewinning shots.

Doing it against the Pistons, damn...that sucks.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Phil Jackson handed out a book of individual significance to each player, something he does annually before a long trip. Unlike recent years, though, Jackson was secretive when asked which book he gave to each player. Some of the Lakers willingly volunteered what books they received, although Kwame Brown declined to comment and Kobe Bryant said he couldn't remember. 'What book did he give me? I don't know,' Bryant said. 'That's on the back burner for me. I'm still reading my 'Harry Potter' series from first to seven. It kind of gets pushed to the back. 'Chamber of Secrets' comes first.' Lamar Odom was given 'Cinnamon Kiss,' Derek Fisher got 'The Wedding,' and Walton received 'We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young.' Jordan Farmar was given a book called 'Shortcomings.'"

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys have Pau Gasol now? Great move.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is Gasol's salary;

Code:
07-08	$13.7M
08-09	$15.0M
09-10	$16.5M
10-11	$17.8M

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bynum 5, Gasol 4, Lamar 3.

That is TALL lineup.

Hell yeah it is. Matchup problems everywhere.

Why do I get the feeling Jerry West is going to step down after this year. He basically got fleeced in both of the trades today.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah it is. Matchup problems everywhere.

Why do I get the feeling Jerry West is going to step down after this year. He basically got fleeced in both of the trades today.

West isnt calling shots anymore;

wikipedia said:
Until June 30, 2007 NBA legend Jerry West served as the team's President of Basketball Operations.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems like a "West" move. I still think he steps down in less than a year.

Trust me, West wouldnt make a deal to make the Lakers better at the expense of his current employer.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some reports have Marc Gasol going to MEM as filler.