The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns fan?

yeah, or laker hater, I just saw the thread and thought id put a big thumbs down. I didnt watch basketball for many years after kj, barkley and etc... were gone, got back ina few years ago because of the great new team and its starting to look like were falling apart. If we dont make the champs, they need to revamp the team or it will be the same story every year.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I can't believe we actually got Gasol. That's huge for us, and puts us right back on track to win the Pacific. I really wish we didn't have to give up J-Critt, but I guess you have to give to get. I have a gut feeling Crittenton will be a very good player soon.

I am very happy about the trade though, getting rid of Kwamie is great for us, he was a waste of space, and being able to put Gasol out there with Bynum and Odom gives us a very strong front court. Our back court is already very good, so this trade gives the Lakers what they needed most. It also moves Turiaf up in the rotation without Kwamie around which is great, because Ronnie is a much better player. Not sure if they are going to keep Mbenga for the long haul, but I would have to imagine he will see very limited minutes if he sticks around.

I can't wait to watch this team play with it's full compliment.

Edit: Did you guys watch the clip here?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3226203

Speculation that Bynum might miss the entire year? God I hope that's not true.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what I just saw...after a tough loss, the Lakers bounce back against a good Raptors team with a STRONG 4th quarter...on a road back to back. You have to love that. Lakers win by 20.

More SASHA!!!! 22 points for my boy.

Kobe was incredible tonight...he looked like he was 22 years old...dunking everything in sight. He was deadly from three as well. Shot 68 percent from the floor!!! 46 points, 7 boards and 5 assists. Moved into third place all time in most 40 point games, passing Elgin.

I really, really liked what I saw. Playing shorthanded there, on the road, back to back, after a trade, and after a bad loss. And they played a spectacular fourth, and pretty much controlled the whole game.

Man, I'm itching to see this team at full strength now (and Llama, I don't take anything Bucher said as anywhere near true...Bynum said he was doing well and itching to get on the court three days ago.)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the move for Gasol. :thumbup:

Love that Kwame is no longer a Laker. :thumbup:

Can't wait to see this team get healthy.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
(and Llama, I don't take anything Bucher said as anywhere near true...Bynum said he was doing well and itching to get on the court three days ago.)

Really? Wow.. that's great!!

Thank you for the update, I missed that completely. When Bynum gets back healthy, and takes the court with Gasol and Odom in the front court, it's going to be a hell of a good team.

Looks like the Lakers have better days ahead. :cheers:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Wow.. that's great!!

Thank you for the update, I missed that completely. When Bynum gets back healthy, and takes the court with Gasol and Odom in the front court, it's going to be a hell of a good team.

Looks like the Lakers have better days ahead. :cheers:

It was during the Knicks game, if I'm not mistaken. He said he can't be sure of anything until he gets out there and does heavy training on it, but things are going great with it and it feels good. He expected to be back on time. My wife also said "damn, Bynum has a cute smile" at this point, so the little interview stuck in my head. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Kidd NEVER wears a Lakers uniform.

:stick:

I agree with you at this point. I'm pretty sure you are basing it off of character, which I pretty much don't care about, unless he's a murderer a'la Leonard Little.

However.

He's older and expensive and just one guy.

To get him, we'd have to lose Odom AND Farmar. Farmar is already a great talent off the bench, and is 20 or 21. Fish and Farmar is just fine with me...Kidd isn't that much of an upgrade, and he doesn't have a lot of time left anyway. And then ADD TO IT that you'd lose Odom too.

I really, really, really don't want a Kidd trade.

But, it's likely that won't happen anyway. Anything talked about a lot doesn't happen. Both great moves this year (Gasol and Ariza) came about swift and without a lot of rumor around them. The more talk, the less action it appears.

BTW, Mitch is doing a hell of a job this year, and his draft picks are really playing well. Sasha, Ronny, Bynum, Farmar...Luke is playing the worst of the bunch.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and regarding the Pau trade.

This is now the first time in his career that he will not face consistent double teams. YIKES. Kobe doubles will go down as well. I sure would not want to draw the matchups as an opposing team for the Lamar/Pau/Bynum frontcourt. That's wicked. And that's not counting Kobe at the 2...jeez.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Count me in the "no trade for Kidd" group as well.

Giving up Odom and Farmar is not a good move. The team is playing well with those guys, and they are both playing well for the Lakers. I would be happy going forward with the lineup we have right now. All we need is Ariza and Bynum healthy and we're a very very good team.

We don't need Kidd.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns fans are crying like babies. I got a couple texts from some friends that are Suns fans and they are scared.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns fans are crying like babies. I got a couple texts from some friends that are Suns fans and they are scared.

They are wusses.. Im not scared.. Scared of what? Pao frickin Gasol? LMAO, ya right..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im still amazed everyone is acting like this trade is the second coming of Shaq.. Its Pao Gasol for Gods sake.. I didnt want the Suns to trade for him and could care less if the lakers got him.. Guess there is gonna be alot of high hopes let down in la la land..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im still amazed everyone is acting like this trade is the second coming of Shaq.. Its Pao Gasol for Gods sake.. I didnt want the Suns to trade for him and could care less if the lakers got him.. Guess there is gonna be alot of high hopes let down in la la land..

For a guy who knows basketball, you sure let your allegiance color your knowledge.

If you can't see the difference in Kwame and Gasol, I don't know if I can help you. You can live in denial all you want, but it doesn't make you right.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a guy who knows basketball, you sure let your allegiance color your knowledge.

If you can't see the difference in Kwame and Gasol, I don't know if I can help you. You can live in denial all you want, but it doesn't make you right.

I never said Pao was as bad as Kwame.. In fact, you drew that conclusion on your own.. I never even mentioned Kwame..

But if you must know.. My boss, who is a lakers/cowboys fan, broke this news of the trade at work.. I was upset.. I told him and I quote "Dammit, I always looked forward to Kwame screwing up the lakers"..

Yes, Pao is alot better than Kwame.. But as I said.. This is no second coming of Shaq as some of the laker fans seem to think Pao is the final piece to a championship team.. It makes them better, but thats about it.. And Im no more worried about the lakers than I was last week..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said Pao was as bad as Kwame.. In fact, you drew that conclusion on your own.. I never even mentioned Kwame..

But if you must know.. My boss, who is a lakers/cowboys fan, broke this news of the trade at work.. I was upset.. I told him and I quote "Dammit, I always looked forward to Kwame screwing up the lakers"..

Yes, Pao is alot better than Kwame.. But as I said.. This is no second coming of Shaq as some of the laker fans seem to think Pao is the final piece to a championship team.. It makes them better, but thats about it.. And Im no more worried about the lakers than I was last week..

Who said it was like Shaq? I haven't seen that at all.

He IS the final piece of a championship caliber squad though, that is the case. Pau is a top 30 player, who sees doubleteams every night as the first option and puts up 19 and 9, and is a good passer. He now comes to the Lakers as a second option, playing PF, no double teams and talent around him.

The Lakers gave up basically nothing and added an Allstar player to a lineup that already was one of the best teams in the west before losing Bynum and Ariza.

They keep both Bynum and Odom, and add another 7 footer at PF. How are the Suns going to match up with Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Kobe and Fisher on the floor at the same time? How are most teams?

You don't need to add a Shaq to a team to make them a contender. You can add a top 30 player, one of only 11 players in the league to have 19 and 9 or better, to a lineup that is already solid.

If you can't see it, I don't know how. You'll see it eventually though.