The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I did make this this comment.. And I find it ironic that two laker fans living in AZ make this comment.. You dont think that somehow folks exactly such as yourselfs have something to do with this problem? I mean cmon.. Your two people in AZ not following the home team.. You guys are the very reason AZ fans are the way they are..

Let me ask you this Gee.. if for some reason you had to move to Seattle next month, do you become a Seahawk Fan?

I don't get the logic with the "you have to follow your home team" thing. My loyalty to the Lakers was built at a very early age since I'm originally from California. My whole family is full of Laker fans and when I came out here, I already had a loyalty to a Basketball team and a Baseball Team (The Angels.) As a result, I don't root for the Suns for the D-Backs. I didn't have a football team, so I picked the Cardinals and later adopted the Coyotes as my hockey team.

If you think that my moving to a new state when I was 14 means that I should change my favorite team, then it's not me that's the "fair weather" fan. If I moved to New England next week, I wouldn't become a Patriots fan..

Would you?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me ask you this Gee.. if for some reason you had to move to Seattle next month, do you become a Seahawk Fan?

I don't get the logic with the "you have to follow your home team" thing. My loyalty to the Lakers was built at a very early age since I'm originally from California. My whole family is full of Laker fans and when I came out here, I already had a loyalty to a Basketball team and a Baseball Team (The Angels.) As a result, I don't root for the Suns for the D-Backs. I didn't have a football team, so I picked the Cardinals and later adopted the Coyotes as my hockey team.

If you think that my moving to a new state when I was 14 means that I should change my favorite team, then it's not me that's the "fair weather" fan. If I moved to New England next week, I wouldn't become a Patriots fan..

Would you?

Ive already answered these kinds of questions because I had to go thru them in real life.. And the answer is where I live now...

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Ive already answered these kinds of questions because I had to go thru them in real life.. And the answer is where I live now...

Well, I'm different then. If I moved to another state, I would still root for the Cardinals, just how I am. It's cool you feel that way, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Me, I like the Lakers and live in Phoenix.

At least we have the Cards in common. :p

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ariza out 8 weeks with a broken foot per ESPN.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, Lakers signed Mbenga to a ten day.

Championship!

:|

Seriously though, I'm ok with it...we need big bodies in there.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Hard fought win tonight over Denver. I'm surprised they pulled it out to be honest. Kobe had 4 fouls in the 3rd, no Bynum or Ariza, and even though Kwamie had 11 boards he played another terrible game, failing to pick up his defensive assignment and letting people go unchallenged to the rim.

Fisher, Odom and Jordan Farmar really stepped up, and Ronnie Turiaf played a solid game in relief of Brown. I have to say, I really like the 3 guard set with Fisher, Farmar, and Bryant all on the floor at the same time. Talk about a set that can spread the floor. The game wasn't pretty but a win is a win. We'll take them anyway we can get em right now. Aside from the 3rd quarter where they let the Nuggets turn a 17 point deficit into a 2 point lead, it was a good game.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they played really well...Kobe was having a ball out there. 11 assists and some sweet passes.

Farmar and Fish on the court together is deadly.

Kwame is hurt still...it's clear...he can't move laterally AT ALL. Not one bit.

Good to see Mbenga get a little burn late.

I hate George Karl and love to watch him lose.

Good to see them get the 17 point win after losing the 17 point lead.

Plus, everyone got Tacos.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe was having a ball out there. 11 assists and some sweet passes.

No kidding. I loved that he was laughing and having a good time.

That behind the back pass to Ronny was sick.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darth.. I was a Brewers fan till we got the Dbacks and I changed right then and there.. I was born in WI and grew up a Brewers fan.. But when we got the Dbacks I changed..

In the immortal words of KoC who is from NY, and maybe this why we got along so good "Your raising your kids wrong!"..

It all boils down to having self pride in yourself and where you live.. Thats it.. Nothing more nothing less..

Do you love this state? Do you love this city? If not, you gotta ask yourself how can you move to where you would love to be.. I did.. And if you love this state and city, defend it by all means nessacry.. If not, its false love..

Ill tell you like I told Donald and abomb .. Have can you look yourself in face you talk mess to an opposing team fan at Cards Stadium about not being a Cards fan, then switch up and do the same thing you just yelled at someone about at a NBA game? Just asking..

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Darth.. I was a Brewers fan till we got the Dbacks and I changed right then and there.. I was born in WI and grew up a Brewers fan.. But when we got the Dbacks I changed..

In the immortal words of KoC who is from NY, and maybe this why we got along so good "Your raising your kids wrong!"..

It all boils down to having self pride in yourself and where you live.. Thats it.. Nothing more nothing less..

Do you love this state? Do you love this city? If not, you gotta ask yourself how can you move to where you would love to be.. I did.. And if you love this state and city, defend it by all means nessacry.. If not, its false love..

Ill tell you like I told Donald and abomb .. Have can you look yourself in face you talk mess to an opposing team fan at Cards Stadium about not being a Cards fan, then switch up and do the same thing you just yelled at someone about at a NBA game? Just asking..

Well sorry Gee, but I don't define my life or my loyalties by the geographical location of the sports teams I like. What does my liking the Lakers have to do with rather or not I like the state I live in? I have a choice where I want to live, and I live in AZ, it's not about rather or not I like Phoenix. To judge someone's devotion to where they live based purely on the sports team they do or do not opt to root for is a bit shallow don't you think?

Have can you look yourself in face you talk mess to an opposing team fan at Cards Stadium about not being a Cards fan, then switch up and do the same thing you just yelled at someone about at a NBA game? Just asking..

I can't look myself in the face, that's physically impossible without the assistance of a mirror. :D But again, I don't really understand your example. Because I root for the LA Lakers that means I can't cheer for the Cardinals? I don't argue that fans of other teams have a right to be in our stadium, and yes I give them crap. I went to 2 Suns Vs. Lakers playoff games in a Kobe Bryant jersey and I took crap just like I expected. I defend my teams, period.

I guess we just see things differently. I don't like the Cardinals because they are in Arizona. I like them because I went to a game once with some friends, had a good time, and decided I liked rooting for them, that's all. I don't put as much emphasis on Sports as you do apparently. I prefer to have more freedom in life, and I don't like the scenario where my only 2 options are to either root for the Suns or not like Basketball. Your logic doesn't make sense to me. You're a good dude, I appreciate your passion for the things you believe in and respect your opinion, I just don't agree. If you think less of me for it, then I'm sorry to hear that.

I'll live though :D

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well sorry Gee, but I don't define my life or my loyalties by the geographical location of the sports teams I like. What does my liking the Lakers have to do with rather or not I like the state I live in? I have a choice where I want to live, and I live in AZ, it's not about rather or not I like Phoenix. To judge someone's devotion to where they live based purely on the sports team they do or do not opt to root for is a bit shallow don't you think?

I can't look myself in the face, that's physically impossible without the assistance of a mirror. :D But again, I don't really understand your example. Because I root for the LA Lakers that means I can't cheer for the Cardinals? I don't argue that fans of other teams have a right to be in our stadium, and yes I give them crap. I went to 2 Suns Vs. Lakers playoff games in a Kobe Bryant jersey and I took crap just like I expected. I defend my teams, period.

I guess we just see things differently. I don't like the Cardinals because they are in Arizona. I like them because I went to a game once with some friends, had a good time, and decided I liked rooting for them, that's all. I don't put as much emphasis on Sports as you do apparently. I prefer to have more freedom in life, and I don't like the scenario where my only 2 options are to either root for the Suns or not like Basketball. Your logic doesn't make sense to me. You're a good dude, I appreciate your passion for the things you believe in and respect your opinion, I just don't agree. If you think less of me for it, then I'm sorry to hear that.

I'll live though :D

These sports teams give back to your/our community.. Just look at how 100%'s bro got a Cards player... Thats all you need to know.. This.is.AZ.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
These sports teams give back to your/our community.. Just look at how 100%'s bro got a Cards player... Thats all you need to know.. This.is.AZ.

By the same logic, Sanderson Ford donated heavily to many charitable causes in Arizona, does that mean I have to buy a Ford?

I appreciate their efforts, and I respect them for doing it. If they establish a charity for a cause I believe in, I'll sure as hell try and contribute. Doesn't mean I have to make them my favorite team.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the same logic, Sanderson Ford donated heavily to many charitable causes in Arizona, does that mean I have to buy a Ford?

I appreciate their efforts, and I respect them for doing it. If they establish a charity for a cause I believe in, I'll sure as hell try and contribute. Doesn't mean I have to make them my favorite team.

You do understand the stupidty in this right? Ford sells trucks nation wide.. Cards,Suns and the like are local.. Unless your gonna be a Lions fan.. Well, ya see? Does AZ have their own brand of vehicles?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
You do understand the stupidty in this right? Ford sells trucks nation wide.. Cards,Suns and the like are local.. Unless your gonna be a Lions fan.. Well, ya see? Does AZ have their own brand of vehicles?

The NBA is national as well. Sanderson is a Arizona specific dealership.

It's cool dude, I was trying to lighten the mood but it's getting a little heated for my taste now. We're not going to agree on this, so it's all cool. You think I'm not dedicated to where I live, it's cool man, I understand. Not trying to be a jerk, I just really don't care enough about other peoples opinions to continue the argument.

I'm a bad resident. Go Lakers.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't expecting them to win tonight, but after the great first half and the 9 point lead to start the third, this result isn't what I expected either (down 13 with 4 minutes left.)

Not scoring until 5:30 left in the third is unforgiveable.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
37 points in the second half is UN-effing-excuseable.

I am so pissed at this meowmeow team right now.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
37 points in the second half is UN-effing-excuseable.

I am so pissed at this meowmeow team right now.

I turned the game on with 2 min remaining in the second quarter.

Wow. The third might be the worst quarter of Lakers basketball I have ever seen.

Anyone see that the Suns were out O-rebounded 22 to 3? That is a sick stat too.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another horsecrap third quarter. Just awful. 19 points. Lakers lose by 7.

No Bynum, Ariza, Mihm and VladRad is really hurting us. However, and I'm not one for moral victories, but playing tough on the road against good western teams without our 2nd or 3rd best player, and our best defensive bench guy, I really like our chances healthy in the playoffs.

However, we better get back to winning some games soon. I really wanted to split this texas two step, damn it. Take away that damn 3rd quarter and we should have won. At least this time, it only took us 4.5 minutes to score our first point instead of 6.5 like Wednesday night..

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I only found one thing that made me smile from tonights loss..

The ESPN headline for the recap on the game reads as follows:

"Howards 'D' on Kobe keeps Lakers at bay."

Kobe's stat line for the game:

40 points on 11-19 shooting, 10 Rebounds, 5 assists.

Yeah, way to lock him down. :lol:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A lot of the players on Arizona teams give back to the communities they are originally from or their high schools, etc. in other states. Freaking traitors. :D