The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
That was a fun game to watch. Pau was as good as advertized and more. He makes everyone else on the floor better because they can all play to their individual strengths.

The best part of the game was, like abomb said, the pure joy in Kobe's game and in his face and body language. KB is loving playing basketball again, and being a Laker, which is a beautiful thing.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"He (Gasol) was enthralled enough, or perhaps unknowing enough, to sit in Coach Phil Jackson's seat during a timeout. Jackson didn't seem to mind. In fact, he has already started teasing Gasol.

"I asked him to shave his beard," Jackson said. "I told him I'd shave mine if he'd shave his. He wasn't buying it."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since KG died, I've really hoped we'd get Gasol. I can't wait to watch this game when I get back home.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since KG died, I've really hoped we'd get Gasol. I can't wait to watch this game when I get back home.

:lmao: @ KG

I might come over and watch it again. ;)

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard most of the game on Sirius and a webcast. Lakers led most of the game. KB coughed up the ball at the end (due to his bum hand) and Joe Johnson hit a bunch of free throws to win it.

KB's hand is worse than expected, as he is hoping to get to 70% for ORL on Friday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That didnt take long. lol

Phil Jackson just couldn't resist. The coach known for his digs at rivals was given a hanging curveball out over the plate when asked about Shaquille O'Neal's role with the Phoenix Suns.

"Taking the ball out of bounds and waiting for the other team to get back," he said.

Jackson, in a more serious moment, discounted the idea that Shaq was unmotivated in Miami, and consequently that a move to Phoenix would suddenly spur him to regain his former glory.

"There's diminishing returns for a guy who's 7-foot-1, 300-whatever [pounds]," said Jackson. "When you have multiple problems in your legs -- feet, knees, hips -- that's the stability that holds up the frame. It's real difficult. And I knew he'll get in better shape as the year goes on, but ... all the tall guys have back [and] stability issues that go with having to maintain their foundation."

But, Jackson added, "He certainly can be a presence to contend with down there."

Lue said O'Neal's explosiveness was gone but the rest was still there. "He was so agile and explosive. But people can't be mad at him about that [decline]" said Lue. "He's 35 years old and he's been beaten up his whole career. It catches up to you."

And as for that other big trade this week, L.A. wasn't about to let a loss deter their joy at getting Gasol. Bryant again said his prayers were answered, while forward Lamar Odom described him as, "a 7-foot 2-guard. He can shoot the ball, handles well and makes plays for others."

"He's gonna make everybody's job easier," surmised Fisher. But this is still Kobe's team. So on a night where his injury made it difficult for him to score, it's no surprise that L.A. fell a little short. The difference is that once he's healthy, he has more help than he's ever had in his post-Shaq career.

And, as Jackson hinted before the game, that may be why Shaq is now a Sun.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard most of the game on Sirius and a webcast. Lakers led most of the game. KB coughed up the ball at the end (due to his bum hand) and Joe Johnson hit a bunch of free throws to win it.

KB's hand is worse than expected, as he is hoping to get to 70% for ORL on Friday.

I'm very concerned about Kobe's hand. He's got three fingers and a thumb on his shooting hand and I think he's hiding how bad it is.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very concerned about Kobe's hand. He's got three fingers and a thumb on his shooting hand and I think he's hiding how bad it is.

Yeah. The more I read this morning on LG, lakersblog, etc, the more worried I get.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
F'ing Lakers!! One of the few times I'd actually root for them to win, and they didn't come through.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Boo ya! Big win tonight in Orlando! Kobe with 36 and Pau with 30. I didn't think the Lakers would win this game without Bynum and with Kobe's hurt finger.

I figured Howard would go off, but they did a good job keeping him in check. Lakers shot 53% for the game. :thumbup:

This team is going to be very good come playoff time.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most impressive thing I've seen this year is how well everyone is shooting the ball. Can't remember when we've shot this well as a team.

:thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KaPAU!!!

Jeez, when Gasol learns the triangle he is just going to be deadly. He and Kobe are already gelling like Kobe and Bynum were gelling.

With Bynum on track well per Mitch today and Ariza hopefully healing well...Gasol and Kobe clicking like this...man. All they need is to develop chemistry.

I'm stoked.

Big win tonight.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Amazing how similar Kobe and Pau's situations were before this. They were both the best players on their team, and surrounded mostly by players that are really only good if they have starts getting them open shots. Yes, Bynum looks like he might be an exception to that and be a legit star, but for a long time now, things have been so tough on them both.

I can't think of a better situation then uniting those two on the same team. Each one is just so happy to have the other one taking some of the heat off. Kobe and Pau are proven starts and with Bynum going no where but up things look good for LA. Guys like Fisher, Ariza, Walton, Odom, etc are going to have tons of open shots. If they get everything clicking with their full roster, they are going to be a handful for any team in the NBA.

Needless to say, I'm excited.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darth, the thing about them both (Kobe and Pau) is that they are both emotional out there on the court. They kill on the pick and roll, and then Pau is yelling his ass off. And then Kobe is yelling and they are both so damn intense. It picks the whole team up. In the nets game the other night, late in the game you can read Pau's lips saying "let's put these mothereffers away!" I love that...

Kobe needs those kind of players around him...feed the beast inside. He plays best with someone emotional like Pau to keep him ratcheted up.

It's a bit odd that in three games, Kobe and Pau have more chemistry than Lamar and Kobe developed in 2 years. This was one hell of a match. I wanted Pau, but I didn't realize exactly what we were getting with him and how it would energize Kobe. Bynum had him on a nice level prior to the injury, now Gasol has him flying...when Bynum gets back, the KGB will be taking names.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The intensity is a nice thing to see. Reminds me of the old Shaq and Kobe days when they didn't hate each other. I'll never forget the intensity they showed in the 2000 playoffs against Portland. That's the type of intensity we have been lacking for a while, especially during the last year with Shaq when we had Payton and Malone. There was just nothing there, it was bland and every game just seemed like a routine. This new look team with Gasol and Bryant is far more emotional and intense.

I'm with you, I wanted Gasol big time, but I never realized how perfect for this team he really was. I have to give Mitch K. massive props on this move.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The Lakers are 5-2 on their current 9-game road trip. :thumbup: When Bynum went down, a lot of pundits/haters pointed to this trip as being a stretch that could knock L.A. out of the West's top 8. :D

Today's game was sloppy at times, but KB24 came up big again. Man, I can't wait for Bynum to get back and see what this team is fully capable of.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good win against the heat. Bad team, but damn if the refs didn't want to give that one away late.

Is it just me, or did the heat play like the Suns tonight with Marion out there? Seemed very similar...just a bit less talent. Good trade for them.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
When Bynum went down, a lot of pundits/haters pointed to this trip as being a stretch that could knock L.A. out of the West's top 8. :D

And had we not made that trade, it could have. It wasn't just "haters," it was concerned Laker fans as well. I was dreading this road trip after Bynum went down, but now with Pau out there, we have a chance against anyone.

Great win tonight, the Lakers need every win they can get. :thumbup:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game, but I did see Kobe hit that running left handed hook in the lane a la Magic.

That was an amazing shot.

That is all.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game, but I did see Kobe hit that running left handed hook in the lane a la Magic.

That was an amazing shot.

That is all.

Source

It was going so good for the Lakers in the fourth quarter, when they built a 17-point lead, that Bryant sized up Marion as the 24-second clock was winding down, then made a running, left-handed hook shot. He glided back smiling, looking at his teammates on the bench.

Later during a timeout, Bryant made the motion of a left-handed hook toward teammate Pau Gasol, who had made a left-handed hook earlier in the game. Gasol smiled and made the same motion.

"When I was 6, 7, 8 years old, my father always had me playing against 18-, 19-, 20-year-olds," Bryant said, "so that was the only shot I could get off, was the sky hook. So I used to work on that baby. It's still there."

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Do you guys all have League Pass or something? Cause I can't see any of these games. The Lakers haven't had a nationally televised game since they picked up Gasol. I get highlights, recaps, and box score online of course, but it's really not the same.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys all have League Pass or something? Cause I can't see any of these games. The Lakers haven't had a nationally televised game since they picked up Gasol. I get highlights, recaps, and box score online of course, but it's really not the same.

Lakers were national on 2/5 (NBA TV and MOJO HD) and against the Heat on 2/10 (ABC).

Donald has LP and I catch a few games at his house.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Lakers were national on 2/5 (NBA TV and MOJO HD) and against the Heat on 2/10 (ABC).

Donald has LP and I catch a few games at his house.

Hmm, that's odd. I went to the schedule on ESPN and looked for national stations and didn't see those two. I'll just have to look harder next time.

I also found the site here where you can watch any game if anyone needs it. Going to use that to watch the game today.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also found the site here where you can watch any game if anyone needs it. Going to use that to watch the game today.

Nice. People on the Lakers board are crazy for that site. I havent used it yet.

Maybe I can post more in this thread, when there are national games.