The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was nice to see a 31 point lead at the start of the 4th, the starters sitting the rest of the game and us NOT blowing the lead.

Great, great road trip. Now, let's REALLY integrate Pau into the offense. Let's get Bynum and Ariza back. Let's get DANGEROUS!

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
With the loss by Phoenix tonight, looks like the game against the Suns after the break will be a battle for the best record in the West.

Who would have thought it at the start of the season? Bynum emerging, Bryant finding a happy medium, Gasol becoming a Laker..

What a season so far, I can't wait for the 2nd half.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil told the team after the game to be safe and not to go skiiing. :lol:

The Lakers 7-2, 9-game roadie was the best record for any team since the 1970s on such a trip.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we are riding high right now, but....

Don't be afraid if we lose this upcoming one to the Suns and split the season with them...it's on the road yeah, that's one thing...we'll be on the second end of a back to back...that's another. However, what is going to hurt us is that we are going to be a victim to matchups. Shaq and Gasol? Fine, actually..Gasol was fine guarding Howard and actually does better against powerful guys and struggles with more nimble guys. His offensive game will put pressure on Shaq down low, as well.

The problem is going to be Amare. Without Bynum in this game, Amare is going to go off. Lamar isn't going to stop him. Ronny isn't going to stop him. Vlad sure as HELL isn't going to stop him.

Amare will have a MONSTER game, I'm guessing. But this game is all about how well Gasol defends Shaq...because I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if we are at full health, Gasol would still guard Shaq and Bynum would stay on Amare...leaving a monster mismatch at the three with Grant Hill trying to guard Lamar.

I'm not hopeful for the game, but they've proven me wrong many times. Here's to one more time.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe has a torn pinkie ligament per ESPNEWS. :thud:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe out 4-6 weeks if he elects for surgery. I dont see him going under the knife.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Kobe out 4-6 weeks if he elects for surgery. I dont see him going under the knife.

According to ESPN, Bryant has officially opted against surgery. He wants to wait till after the season, which is good because no way in hell we can afford to lose Kobe.

Hopefully, it won't effect him too much, he's played well the last few games even with the injury, so we can only hope that it won't turn into anything that will keep him out. I really hope he skips the All Star game though and gets some rest.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said he will get surgery not only after the season, but after the OLYMPICS as well.

Dude is hardcore.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
He said he will get surgery not only after the season, but after the OLYMPICS as well.

Dude is hardcore.

Well, that just goes to show how confident Kobe really is. If he didn't think this team had a real shot at a title, no way he would do this. He would have the surgery and just be done with it.

You know, people can say what they want about Kobe, but any team in the league would kill to have a guy with his determination and drive. Nothing is more important to Kobe then winning and being the best. That's what separates him from many other guys in this league.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that just goes to show how confident Kobe really is. If he didn't think this team had a real shot at a title, no way he would do this. He would have the surgery and just be done with it.

You know, people can say what they want about Kobe, but any team in the league would kill to have a guy with his determination and drive. Nothing is more important to Kobe then winning and being the best. That's what separates him from many other guys in this league.
True that.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that 8 weeks from Monday is the end of the regular season.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor circulating of Lamar Odom to WAS for Caron Butler. :thud:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA Times:

Center Andrew Bynum is at least three weeks from returning from a left knee injury and forward Trevor Ariza is still about eight weeks from returning from a broken bone in his right foot. Ariza's original timetable called for a return to health four weeks from now, but his foot was "healing more slowly than we hoped," a team official said Monday."

Good on Drew. CRAP on the Ariza news. :|

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I heard that first, it was only Sam Smith speculating on it..not a real rumor.

Has it got legs now?

Apparently Cowherd was rattling on about it, so it is everywhere.

Sucks that Ariza is out. I think the Lakers will make a small move/signing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Cowherd was rattling on about it, so it is everywhere.

Sucks that Ariza is out. I think the Lakers will make a small move/signing.

Yeah, there is nothing to that rumor. The article is on Yahoo and Smith says something like "the lakers are looking to move Odom for a small forward. Caron Butler perhaps?"

Which means, they want to move LO. Hey, maybe they could go for Caron?

Just Smith throwing stuff on the wall. However, nobody has denied it yet so who tf knows?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Watching the Laker game on Raptors.net.. they look pretty good. Kobe isn't showing any signs of the injury, and Lakers are up 30-14 in the 1st.

Of course, this is the Lakers, so they'll likely let the Hawks back in it, but at least the team looks good overall. Beating an elite Suns team in a back to back is going to be a pretty tall order though.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the half;

ATL 37
LAL 74

:thud:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same on Raptorsnet, it's the hawks guys complaining about every foul.

Wow.. 71-31 Lakers with .19 left. This one is getting ugly.

Jordan Farmar is one of the most overlooked players in the NBA by the way.

How about KB's dunks?!? Right handed! :)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
How about KB's dunks?!? Right handed! :)

Funny isn't it? Even handicapped, he's still the best basketball player on the planet. I didn't expect him to look THIS good. This is a great sign for the Lakers. Lets just hope it doesn't swell on him overnight and keep him out tomorrow. I don't expect to see much of Kobe in the 4th, they should probably rest him for most of the remainder of this game.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny isn't it? Even handicapped, he's still the best basketball player on the planet. I didn't expect him to look THIS good. This is a great sign for the Lakers. Lets just hope it doesn't swell on him overnight and keep him out tomorrow. I don't expect to see much of Kobe in the 4th, they should probably rest him for most of the remainder of this game.

Agree. I'd be suprised to see him much in the third. His long-range shot was money too.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, they played Kobe a little longer then I thought, so he must be feeling pretty good. Of course, there are already idiot fans of other teams saying he's faking the injury. Like he would have anything to gain by taping up his hand and pretending to be hurt?

Anyway, good win tonight, tomorrow will be a tough one, but now it's all about getting healthy for the Playoffs. Come April, this team should be pretty damn good. Let's just pray that Kobe's pinky stands the test of time.