The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I don't know if you need firefox or not. I happen to be using firefox, and I'm watching the Lakers vs. Bobcats right now.

Not sure how they get away with showing all these games for free, but it's great. It plays flawlessly, just like watching it on TV just not the best visual quality. It's not HD by any means, but this site rocks.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, despite some soft defense at times, the Lakers win again to go to 4-1 since the trade. There were some good things, but the defense really looked lax in this one, and the Bobcats were in it the entire time.

I wouldn't mind seeing Turiaf get more time at the 5 and slide Pau over to the 4 to make us a little tougher in the paint till Bynum gets back. Pau played well defensively and offensively, but Vlad is really a liability on the defensive end.

My other concern is Luke Walton. For some reason, he looks lost out there to me, and his game looks sloppy. Bad passes, slow defensive rotation, but he did have a nice steal late when the game was close, and a big 3 down the stretch. Overall, Kobe and Pau looked good combining for 57, the rest of the team just did enough to not lose. I can't really bag on them though, it's the 2nd of a back to back in the midst of a 9 game road streak. It has to be tough on them. Props to the Lakers for hanging in and fighting for a win against a Charlotte team that really wanted this win.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The Lakers just signed Mbenga for the rest of the season. Pretty amazing story.

Mbenga Provides Some Perspective
By: Preetom Bhattacharya
2/11/08 8:06 AM ET

Pau Gasol hasn't played a game in Staples Center yet, but he can expect a hero's welcome when he arrives for the Lakers' Feb. 19 contest against the Atlanta Hawks. All of a sudden, vendors along the southern boundary of downtown Los Angeles proudly hawk the red and yellow stripes of the Spanish flag to be waved at upcoming Laker home games.

But it's a different recently-acquired Laker that better earns the title of a "hero": his name is DJ Mbenga.

Mbenga hails from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), a country ravaged by war, disease and poverty for years. The Congo has been the battle ground for what has been termed "Africa's World War," with rebels and armies of neighboring countries warring over Congo's immense natural resources, including sprawling forests, vast mineral resources (like diamonds), and the mighty Congo River, the fifth longest river in the world.

"We come from a country where a lot of terrible stuff is going on over there," Mbenga told HOOPSWORLD recently. "We know right now, there's hard political stuff over there. It's going to take time."

The numbers are staggering: with a population of 65 million the average life expectancy in the Congo is a paltry 47 years. Human rights violations are rampant as Congolese civilians have been forced into labor, tortured, displaced, and sexually exploited. Over three million lives have been lost during the conflict, many dying of epidemics of measles and polio (both preventable and long eradicated in the Western world due to adequate resources). One out of every five children will die before their fifth birthday.

Because there are so few hospitals and clinics that exist in the country (and many that did were either ill-equipped or unsanitary), Houston Rockets big man Dikembe Mutombo - also a native of the Congo - led an effort to build a 300-bed facility with modern amenities in the capital city of Kinshasa. He personally donated $3.5 million towards the construction costs. Mutombo's foundation is committed to improving the life and well-being of those in his homeland.

"When you are raised in this type of environment, your heart stays here," Mutombo has said in several interviews. "Whatever you accomplish in your life, your heart stays here."

But for DJ Mbenga, tragedy hit even closer to home. Mbenga's father worked for the Congolese government and when his term ended, the new regime looked to purge all those that worked for the old administration. Mbenga's father died in unknown circumstances and as the war raged on, DJ himself was jailed and faced execution.

After nine months of incredibly difficult circumstances in prison, Mbenga escaped; his brother had bribed one of the prison guards and DJ immediately flew to Belgium, where he sought political asylum. While living at a shelter in Belgium, Mbenga was "discovered" by a basketball coach, leading him on the journey that eventually landed him in the NBA and now to his second 10-day contract with one of the most storied franchises in the league.

"Sometimes when they see us or when they talk to us when we come home, we bring them something new, like energy," Mbenga said of fans in the Congo. "Something like new breath, like hope. They can say, 'If this guy can do it, we can do it, too.' Just to show them a different face – no drama, no pain."

In ancient Greece, the word "hero" was used for Olympic athletes showing amazing physical prowess. Literally used to define someone as "semi-divine," the sporting champions were believed to have had one mortal and one divine parent, giving them their extraordinary abilities.

So it seems only natural that the word "hero" is flung towards athletes these days as well. We've seen our fair share of heroes in the world of sports: Jackie Robinson, Jesse Owens, Billie Jean King, Nile Kinnick.

They're more than just athletes; like Greek Olympians who doubled as soldiers to defend virtues their nations stood for, these heroes did what they could to expose truth, protect ideals, and deliver justice. DJ Mbenga is doing that in his own way.

"Basketball is the way we can talk to people now," he said. "It's the big way you can talk to young people to help them. You can have access to the young people, to the young guys. It's just like me; when I was young, I was watching Mutombo on TV – and something was given to me."

Mbenga's inspiring message of hope reflects his career in the NBA. He's bounced around a bit lately, but he's absolutely the definition of a team player. The Lakers picked Mbenga up after rising star Andrew Bynum's knee injury and because Chris Mihm is still a bit of a question mark as he recovers from ankle surgery.

Hoping to latch on to the Lakers for the rest of the season, Mbenga's attitude is one that any coach would long for. "Teams have so much talent so everybody cannot do everything; you have to find a way to help your team," he remarked. "I can rebound, block the shots, intimidate some guys, so when [my teammates] get beat on defense, they know DJ's there behind."

Mbenga prides himself on his defensive ability, helping his teammates should they break down on the perimeter. "They know they've got a bodyguard," Mbenga said of his teammates. "They know, if somebody can get the score, he's not going to come around again. He's going to think two times now. 'Oh, DJ's there. If he can block shots, then he's going to knock me down.' That's the way I'm going to do it. That's the way I've got to be. That's what I have to do."

As HOOPSWORLD's resident Laker guru Eric Pincus said, the team has "no reason to not keep" Mbenga around because of that immense focus on the team concept. Mbenga works his tail off to have his teammates' back and makes sure everyone has the support they need from him to succeed.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Mbenga has this mentality. After all, teaming up with Mutombo, he's using this opportunity in the NBA to be the bodyguard of an entire nation, hoping to support, protect, and defend the people of a country he loves so dearly.

"I'm trying to do the best I can," Mbenga sighed. "I'm trying to give to them something."

While doing that, DJ Mbenga is giving everyone else something as well.

It's called perspective.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dacos!!

Very glad to see Mbenga signed. I like the guy. He's just mass out there as a talent, but he's a very nice and cool dude. The players love him, from what I've heard.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listened to the first half on Sirius and then webcasted the rest. Good game and good to see the Lakers closing teams out. Earlier in the season, they would have given a few more of these away.

6-2 on the roadie is borderline unbelievable. I think most of us would have been more than happy with 5-4. One more pre-AS game on Wednesday at MIN, who has been playing pretty tough of late. They gave BOS a good game last Friday night, ultimately losing. Al Jefferson is playing like a young KG and Telfair has increased his assists and decreased his turnovers the past few weeks. He had a game recently with zero TOs.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
It is a crime that these games aren't televised, except on League Pass. I have been thinking that the Lakers should have their own TV network, like the Yankees YES.

Then the world would be able to see all of their favorite team's games for free. ;)

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a crime that these games aren't televised, except on League Pass. I have been thinking that the Lakers should have their own TV network, like the Yankees YES.

Then the world would be able to see all of their favorite team's games for free. ;)

:yeahthat:

I wish LP was all HD. Seriously.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6-2 on the roadie is borderline unbelievable.

Given that we choked away a win in Atlanta and dropped a game vs. Detroit in the last 30 seconds by allowing a sick three off a missed shot and then missed a potential gamewinner as time expired, 6-2 is a bit sad. We could be shooting for 9-0 on this roadie, damn it!

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, according to my schedule and results (non Excel), here are the results of back-to-backs;

Lost First, Won Second = 3 times
Won First, Lost Second = 4 times
Won Both = 3 times

Lakers have six b2b's left with the next being vs ATL, @ PHX (2/19-20).

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, according to my schedule and results (non Excel), here are the results of back-to-backs;

Won Both = 3 times

No "Lost first, lost second"? Good for them.

I've said it to dcr (who doesn't agree with me)...Lakers scare me this year.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Won Both = 3 times

B2Bs have always plagued the Lakers. Even the Shaq Kobe Lakers...b2b, for whatever reason, kill us. Playing them a lot better this year.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple sources are reporting that Mihm is out 4-6 weeks with ANOTHER surgery.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple sources are reporting that Mihm is out 4-6 weeks with ANOTHER surgery.

Yeah, he's done. That's why Dacos was picked up for the whole season.

The Secret of Mihm is that he's never going to play again.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Why have we even kept Mihm on our roster? We got him in 2004 and he's played what? like 12 games?

I used to really like Mihm, he had some skill when he played, but my god, how can a guy be hurt THAT much?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Once again, Mihm is out..

Source: http://www.star-telegram.com/526/story/469463.html

Los Angeles Lakers oft-injured center Chris Mihm will reportedly undergo surgery on his right heel and will miss four to six weeks.
According to the Los Angeles Times, Mihm is scheduled to have the surgery sometime this week. He has been sidelined since December 23 due to bursitis in his right heel and a sore Achilles' tendon in his right foot.
Mihm missed all of last season while recovering from reconstructive ankle surgery, and is averaging just 4.1 points and 3.7 rebounds in 19 games this season.
According to the report, both Mihm and the team believe surgery is the best option and hope he'll be able to return this season as a backup.
The Lakers, who also remain without center Andrew Bynum because of a left knee injury, signed center D.J.Mbenga for the remainder of the season on Monday.
The 7-foot Mbenga had signed a pair of 10-day contracts with the Lakers previously and averaged 2.3 points, 2.1 rebounds and 0.75 blocks in eight games with the team.

Seriously, when are we just going to cut this guy and be done with it? We picked him up in 2004 and he's played the total equivalent of less then one full season. Pathetic.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:

"More and more, Kobe Bryant feels like a kid locked in a toy store after closing hours. 'It's like Christmas every day,' Bryant said. 'We have so many weapons here. I really just use my abilities to be a bait, continue to create easy shots for my teammates and just move the ball and play well together.' Bryant continues to be complimentary of the Lakers and their recent success, which makes sense."

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Lakers 117 Timberwolves 92

Lamar with a triple-double to cap the 7-2 road trip. Outstanding! And like Donald said earlier, that could easily have been a 9-0 road trip. The Lakers won 6 games by 9 points or more.

:thewave:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers 117 Timberwolves 92

Lamar with a triple-double to cap the 7-2 road trip. Outstanding! And like Donald said earlier, that could easily have been a 9-0 road trip. The Lakers won 6 games by 9 points or more.

:thewave:

Great game for LO and the rest. 7-2 is amazing and the fact they could have come away 9-0 makes me go :thud:.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Great game tonight, and congrats to the Lakers on the successful road trip. I still think this trip would have been a disaster without the trade, so kudos to the front office for making the move to save the season for the Lakers.

It's nice to see this team playing with a fire under them again. Now they get a little rest for All Star weekend, and on to a great 2nd half. :thumbup: