The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Watch tonight's game and watch Kobe's defense. I have noticed he is not rotating or helping on the weak side when teams penetrate. he wasn't doing that early in the season. Just an observation.

A good observation as well. Kobe is, and always has been, very susceptible to being a gambler.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
We're now 4-5 without Pau and I don't really see that getting much better now that Fisher is hurt. People say that the Lakers get all the breaks, but that's just a load of crap. It's clear that the NBA Gods have doomed us this year. At the rate the Lakers are going, they might have to start forfeiting games because they don't have enough guys to play.

Gasol probably won't play till Wednesday at the earliest, so look for big minutes for Farmar and Sasha tonight. If they are on, we could take it, if they are cold, it's going to be a long and painful night.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
We're now 4-5 without Pau and I don't really see that getting much better now that Fisher is hurt. People say that the Lakers get all the breaks, but that's just a load of crap. It's clear that the NBA Gods have doomed us this year. At the rate the Lakers are going, they might have to start forfeiting games because they don't have enough guys to play.

Gasol probably won't play till Wednesday at the earliest, so look for big minutes for Farmar and Sasha tonight. If they are on, we could take it, if they are cold, it's going to be a long and painful night.
I thought it was 4-4 without Gasol? Either way, they were winning without prior to signing Gasol...on the road. Fisher is a center piece of the puzzle but if Farmer and Sasha can play well, they should be alright.
The NBA gods have been great to the Lakers. They were lucky enough to get Gasol for nothing....unheard of in the NBA. Wanna talk about luck? Look at the Clippers losing everything that made them good. Most line-ups in the NBA due to injury and playing with 8 players on any given night (off-topic...I know).
Don't worry, I think they will do alright. Good way to see the young ones step up. Don't forget, Mihm is ready to go. Hopefully they will clog the paint and stop the penetration. Good luck tonight...

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Damn! They sure make it tough on themselves. Luke and Sasha really stepped it up in this game. Two HUGE rebounds by Luke at the end of OT.

Now I can sleep well tonight, for a change. :)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I thought it was 4-4 without Gasol? Either way, they were winning without prior to signing Gasol...on the road. Fisher is a center piece of the puzzle but if Farmer and Sasha can play well, they should be alright.

The last loss dropped them to 4-5, they were 4-4 before the last game. Also, just one point of note, they had a losing record between the time they lost Bynum and aquired Gasol. They were 7-8 in that span. The Lakers are not a good team without Bynum or Gasol. They are good with one or the other, but they are right around .500 without either. They have the ability to surpise teams, but aren't the type of team that can sustain a winning streak, or take a playoff series. Luckily, it looks like we'll have both when it counts the most.

Amazing that they won tonight, I'm happy for the win, but not happy about another game of lacking defense. Fisher has a lot of heart, he played through his pain, and had a pretty good game, that's a good sign for us. He had 5pts in overtime which was a big boost. I'm gonna sacrifice a goat tonight to the basketball gods and hope we get Pau back on Wednesday. :lol:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
The last loss dropped them to 4-5, they were 4-4 before the last game. Also, just one point of note, they had a losing record between the time they lost Bynum and aquired Gasol. They were 7-8 in that span. The Lakers are not a good team without Bynum or Gasol. They are good with one or the other, but they are right around .500 without either. They have the ability to surpise teams, but aren't the type of team that can sustain a winning streak, or take a playoff series. Luckily, it looks like we'll have both when it counts the most.

Amazing that they won tonight, I'm happy for the win, but not happy about another game of lacking defense. Fisher has a lot of heart, he played through his pain, and had a pretty good game, that's a good sign for us. He had 5pts in overtime which was a big boost. I'm gonna sacrifice a goat tonight to the basketball gods and hope we get Pau back on Wednesday. :lol:
Thanks for the correctionS...Darth. Yup, they made it hard on themselves but showed heart. The interior defense was better, it was the perimeter they had problems with. They cleaned up pretty good. Looking at the Wizards stats, they just got hot from the 3's in the 3rd. Shouldn't have went to overtime but a win is a win. Glad you guys can start another streak.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Thanks for the correctionS...Darth. Yup, they made it hard on themselves but showed heart. The interior defense was better, it was the perimeter they had problems with. They cleaned up pretty good. Looking at the Wizards stats, they just got hot from the 3's in the 3rd. Shouldn't have went to overtime but a win is a win. Glad you guys can start another streak.

Here's hoping that we get a Lakers Vs. Clippers playoff series next year. :thumbup:

I hope the Clippers do get back into the playoffs. If you're like me, and like to root for the underdog, it's impossible not to pull for the Clippers. Elton Brand is one of my favorite players, I really want to see him taste some success. This year, my second favorite is the Hornets but if the Clippers could get back in it, that would be great!

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Here's hoping that we get a Lakers Vs. Clippers playoff series next year. :thumbup:

I hope the Clippers do get back into the playoffs. If you're like me, and like to root for the underdog, it's impossible not to pull for the Clippers. Elton Brand is one of my favorite players, I really want to see him taste some success. This year, my second favorite is the Hornets but if the Clippers could get back in it, that would be great!
Just like I wrote on the clippers message board...We are still in the race but no the one we wanted ( best ping pong ball). We'll see what happens next year but
it would be great though. The "cross hall" rivalry. Hey, speaking of Brand, it looks like he will start playing this week on the road. If that is the case, he will play on our last meeting of the year.
In any case, glad you won tonight. I thought they were going to win by more but the perimeter shooting of the Wizards from the 3 point line was an almost saving grace for them. Good night and we'll talk on the next game....:thumbup:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3-1 we are (Suns). 2 more games to win. Get ready with my 3:2 odds abomb.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3-1 we are (Suns). 2 more games to win. Get ready with my 3:2 odds abomb.

But this next game is the one you lose. B2B ass end, in the thin Denver air = bad. Add to that you had to work on an amazing 20 point comeback last night? Man, I don't envy that one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this next game is the one you lose. B2B ass end, in the thin Denver air = bad. Add to that you had to work on an amazing 20 point comeback last night? Man, I don't envy that one.

I think this game has a chance to be the exact opposite of last night. (Suns start fast, Denver catching up)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw, are you guys seriously ready to panic?

What do you think of Eddie Johnson's nickname for Pau (the Poodle) since he got hurt and hasn't made it back?

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw, are you guys seriously ready to panic?

What do you think of Eddie Johnson's nickname for Pau (the Poodle) since he got hurt and hasn't made it back?

Not worried. Pau should be back tomorrow and Bynum by the playoffs.

As for the comment, tell me why Eddie Johnson opinion matters. ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not worried. Pau should be back tomorrow and Bynum by the playoffs.

As for the comment, tell me why Eddie Johnson opinion matters. ;)

No more than Bill Simmons or anyone else's opinion matters....

I thought it was kinda funny, thats all. He said that he seems to be nursing the injury a bit, at a time in the season, where the Lakers really need him.

I have had severe ankle injuries, so I can relate, but still.

Do you still think that you will win the Pacific?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) Eddie who? Why do I care? Isn't he a suns announcer? :p

B) This isn't the time in the season when the Lakers really need him...they really need him in the playoffs. I'd hate to have him rushed back too soon to help us with seeding, and then reinjure himself and we are screwed.

C) on the nickname itself, it might be funny if Pau was pronounced "poo" (oh, save the joke) but I've never heard of a Paudle. :shrug: So...KoPAU!! BTW, at Staples they have this awesome "PAU!" graphic that comes up like the comic book "POW!" whenever he makes a big play...it is freaking awesome.

D) I think we are in very good position to win the Pacific. The tiebreaker will probably come into play. I don't think we'll finish with the number one seed though, but it is possible.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C) on the nickname itself, it might be funny if Pau was pronounced "poo" (oh, save the joke) but I've never heard of a Paudle. :shrug: So...KoPAU!! BTW, at Staples they have this awesome "PAU!" graphic that comes up like the comic book "POW!" whenever he makes a big play...it is freaking awesome.

D) I think we are in very good position to win the Pacific. The tiebreaker will probably come into play. I don't think we'll finish with the number one seed though, but it is possible.

I think the nickname is good. Nicknames don't have to completely rhyme. I don't remember the injury that is keeping him out, but I have heard some Laker fans even question why he isn't out there.

At this point, I'm not so sure winning the Pacific is the best way to the championship. It seems like the 5th or 6th seed may have the best shot.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Pau tried out the ankle on Sunday and it was too sore to cut on. Pretty simple. It's better, IMO, to have a healthy player like Turiaf out there than a gimpy Pau.

I'd rather have Pau get healthy for the playoffs than risk further injury now. You'd think a former player like Johnson would be smart enough to know better.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Eddie Johnson can't see past the Suns, flat out. If you watched the Denver game last night, it was one of his all time worst jobs calling a game. Every Sun was the "best in the league" at what they do, he's such a homer. I wouldn't take anything that guy says to heart, he really knows next to nothing about any team that isn't the Suns.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the injury that is keeping him out, but I have heard some Laker fans even question why he isn't out there.

Some Lakers fans are mental. Seriously. He had a wicked ankle sprain, and he really hasn't missed that many games.

At this point, I'm not so sure winning the Pacific is the best way to the championship. It seems like the 5th or 6th seed may have the best shot.

You aren't kidding. 4th seed might be awesome for the Lakers...face the 5th seed and then the Nooch...that would be a nice setup for a WCF.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Anyone heard any update on Pau for tomorrow? I haven't heard him being nixed from the game yet, so maybe no news is good news?

I agree with the general sentiment for the record. I don't want him to return unless he's feeling good and in no danger of aggravating the Injury. I realize it's much more important to have him in the playoffs then it is in the regular season. I'm just anxious to see him back on the court.