The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/

Quote:
BK will have a formal practice report coming later today, but called me from the freeway to give y'all a Cliffs Notes rundown. In a nutshell, Pau Gasol participated during all of today's practice and assuming there's no negative reaction as a result of said participation, he should be on the court tomorrow against the Blazers. His actual PT is still up in the air, but that would indeed be a step forward. And while Andrew Bynum didn't take part in the practice proceedings, he did run the court today, supporting his body weight in its entirety (as opposed to work on the Lakers' futuristic, space age treadmill, which takes up some of the pressure for him). Obviously, he won't be suiting up tomorrow, but Drew will head out on the road with the team on Saturday, meaning there are hopes alive for action either Sunday in Sacto or a week from today in Portland.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eddie Johnson can't see past the Suns, flat out. If you watched the Denver game last night, it was one of his all time worst jobs calling a game. Every Sun was the "best in the league" at what they do, he's such a homer. I wouldn't take anything that guy says to heart, he really knows next to nothing about any team that isn't the Suns.

EJ is a homer. I freely admit that. I watched the non-HD telecast, so I listed to Majerle/Leander. If you can't tell me that Steve Nash isn't the best shooter in the NBA, and Amare isn't the best power forward, then you are mental. He is a homer, but he is dead on about these two things. If Amare was on any other team, doing what he is doing, he'd definitely be in the MVP discussion.

Some Lakers fans are mental. Seriously. He had a wicked ankle sprain, and he really hasn't missed that many games.

You aren't kidding. 4th seed might be awesome for the Lakers...face the 5th seed and then the Nooch...that would be a nice setup for a WCF.

If the Lakers end up the 4th seed, the Suns would be the 5th seed me thinks.

I think the Pacific winner will be 2 or 3, with the loser being 5th.

Indeed!

That was a good game.. glad the Nuggets held on.

It was a great game for the Nuggets. The Suns have been getting T'd up way to much, and not deserving it. Raja did deserve the tech for laughing at the official like that, but I didn't know that he also received a double T with Carmelo. I can't see any other reason they threw him out. (unless they gave him 2 on the spot. I only saw him shoot one FT though) Giricek getting a T on a very clean foul was amazing too.

I love watching games like that though, no matter the winner.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
If you can't tell me that Steve Nash isn't the best shooter in the NBA, and Amare isn't the best power forward, then you are mental. He is a homer, but he is dead on about thes two things.

Well call me mental then. The Amare case I can see, but Steve Nash is NOT a better shooter then Kobe Bryant. No way, no how. Nash is the better passer, Nash is close in shooting, but Kobe is hands down better. If you feel otherwise, I think you're mental. :p

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well call me mental then. The Amare case I can see, but Steve Nash is NOT a better shooter then Kobe Bryant. No way, no how. Nash is the better passer, Nash is close in shooting, but Kobe is hands down better. If you feel otherwise, I think you're mental. :p

Where does Kobe shoot better? At the free throw line? Nope. What about FG%? Nope. What about 3PT%? Nope again. What other measure can you use as a shooter?

Kobe is definitely the better "scorer." He is the best player in the game. He is NOT the game's best shooter.

Oh, and you're mental. :)

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, the numbers definitely favor Nash, that much I can't argue. I think the numbers are a little squed by the amount of time Kobe, spends being doubled, but there is still no argument that Nash is one of the best. Being that I watch the Lakers more then anyone else, my view is a little slanted. I always see Kobe making the amazing shots that I just can't see anyone else making. I won't deny Nash's obvious talent though, the guy is one of the best I have ever seen.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the numbers definitely favor Nash, that much I can't argue. I think the numbers are a little squed by the amount of time Kobe, spends being doubled, but there is still no argument that Nash is one of the best. Being that I watch the Lakers more then anyone else, my view is a little slanted. I always see Kobe making the amazing shots that I just can't see anyone else making. I won't deny Nash's obvious talent though, the guy is one of the best I have ever seen.

Let the record show that I used facts and stats to backup my argument...... :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So abomb, what do you plan on doing with your new found ASFN fortune?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saving it for a rainy day since I cant pay any wedding stuff with ASFN dollars. :)

The wedding is over dude. How much did you pay for your wedding on credit? You know what Dave Ramsey has to say about that? :D

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wedding is over dude. How much did you pay for your wedding on credit? You know what Dave Ramsey has to say about that? :D

No comment.

I bet you $100 ASFN that the lakers go .500 or better (O 3.5) the rest of the season;

Code:
4/2	vs POR
4/4	vs DAL
4/6	@SAC
4/8	@POR
4/10	@LAC
4/11	vs NOH
4/13	vs SA
4/15	vs SAC

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No comment.

I bet you $100 ASFN that the lakers go .500 or better (O 3.5) the rest of the season;

Code:
4/2	vs POR
4/4	vs DAL
4/6	@SAC
4/8	@POR
4/10	@LAC
4/11	vs NOH
4/13	vs SA
4/15	vs SAC

I only see them losing 3 of those at the most...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give you 2:1 overall;

Lakers win 5 or more of the 8: abomb gets $100 from DCR
Lakers win 4 or fewer of the 8: DCR gets $200 from abomb

Let's change the bet from .500 or better, to better than .500 and you got a deal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make .500 a push and you got YOURSELF a deal. ;)

haha. Sounds good. Degenerate gamblers we are.

I was playing some online poker last night and I was losing every race. It was pissing me off. I didn't have to gamble so much, but dinner was ready.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Lakers end up the 4th seed, the Suns would be the 5th seed me thinks.

I think the Pacific winner will be 2 or 3, with the loser being 5th.

Huh? If the Lakers end up as the 4th seed, that would mean the Suns won the pacific.

4th or 5th, either is good with me because the winner plays the number 1 seed, correct? And as long as that is the Nooch, it is a great second round matchup for the Lakers.

The Giracek tech was complete crap. As was the T on Amare later.

I can see both of Raja's techs though...he was jawing, wouldn't "back down" and then popped a little forearm. If he hadn't been jawing, he wouldn't have gotten the T for the forearm, nor a foul. But he was being watched at that time...then while the ref is staring at him to laugh and slap hands is just inviting the tech. He's watching you for a reason. Dumb decision on Raja's part..the ref was loose with the T's already, do you really think he wants to be shown up?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where does Kobe shoot better? At the free throw line? Nope. What about FG%? Nope. What about 3PT%? Nope again. What other measure can you use as a shooter?

Kobe is definitely the better "scorer." He is the best player in the game. He is NOT the game's best shooter.

Oh, and you're mental. :)

Nash shoots a better percentage. Kobe has a much deeper arsenal of shots at his disposal. Kobe can get any shot, at any time, and make them over 4 guys, including shots you have never seen before. Nash makes more of the shots he takes. They are both great shooters, but Nash takes better shots, thus a better percentage.

The game's best shooter is Rip Hamilton, I think That asshat never misses.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? If the Lakers end up as the 4th seed, that would mean the Suns won the pacific.

4th or 5th, either is good with me because the winner plays the number 1 seed, correct? And as long as that is the Nooch, it is a great second round matchup for the Lakers.

The Giracek tech was complete crap. As was the T on Amare later.

I can see both of Raja's techs though...he was jawing, wouldn't "back down" and then popped a little forearm. If he hadn't been jawing, he wouldn't have gotten the T for the forearm, nor a foul. But he was being watched at that time...then while the ref is staring at him to laugh and slap hands is just inviting the tech. He's watching you for a reason. Dumb decision on Raja's part..the ref was loose with the T's already, do you really think he wants to be shown up?

The Lakers don't automatically get the 4th seed from winning the Pacific. The 4 division winners get the top 4 seeds. I think that they will have the 2nd or 3rd seed, based on their record when all is said and done. I think that the Pacific Winner will have a better record than Utah at least.

I understand the Raja tech. He was jawing. I don't know about a double tech for that.

I can understand the Amare one. His expression after he threw his arms down was priceless, because he knew he would get T'd. The Giricek one was the worst T I have seen in a long time. I commented as such in the Suns forum.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash shoots a better percentage. Kobe has a much deeper arsenal of shots at his disposal. Kobe can get any shot, at any time, and make them over 4 guys, including shots you have never seen before. Nash makes more of the shots he takes. They are both great shooters, but Nash takes better shots, thus a better percentage.

The game's best shooter is Rip Hamilton, I think That asshat never misses.

I wouldn't consider Rip the best shooter, but he does move without the ball better than anyone in the league, and it isn't even close.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Abrams of the Los Angeles Times: "In a recent Sports Illustrated poll of current NBA players asking who scares you the most, Bryant earned 35% of the vote, while the next four -- Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James and Dwight Howard -- combined for only 24% ... One Western Conference advance scout compared Bryant favorably to a mathematician. At its core, basketball is a game of geometry and if opponents take bad paths to guard Bryant, they've already failed, because he quickly reads defenses and angles, capable of making split-second decisions that usually work in his favor."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Abrams of the Los Angeles Times: "In a recent Sports Illustrated poll of current NBA players asking who scares you the most, Bryant earned 35% of the vote, while the next four -- Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James and Dwight Howard -- combined for only 24% ... One Western Conference advance scout compared Bryant favorably to a mathematician. At its core, basketball is a game of geometry and if opponents take bad paths to guard Bryant, they've already failed, because he quickly reads defenses and angles, capable of making split-second decisions that usually work in his favor."

Bryant scares me the most too.