The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Suck it haters.

ANALYST PREDICTION

J.A. AdandeESPN.com
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 9 Right now they're the wildest card in the deck. With Kobe Bryant they could squeeze into one of the last playoff spots. Without him they're lottery bound. Lamar Odom would become their best player by default, and he's played more than 64 games only once in three years as a Laker.

Greg AnthonyESPN.com
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 8 The cloud hangs over L.A. no matter what happens with Kobe. If he leaves, there's an adjustment period for the new players. If he stays, the question of if, and when, he will be traded will linger. Tough times.

Jon Barry ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 10 Quite miraculous they made playoffs last year. Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom are not a good tandem -- both are terrific individually -- but sometimes it just doesn't work together. I saw no improvement with Andrew Bynum throughout the year.

Chris Broussard ESPN Mag
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 9 If Kobe remains, he still won't be enough to get this crew into the playoffs. Injuries are a problem again, and team chemistry is -- and always will be -- horrible. The good news? Maybe a "to-heck-with-it'' Kobe will entertain us with another 81, or more.

Ric Bucher ESPN Mag
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 8 It hurts to see such a proud franchise be reactive, not proactive. Patching it up with Kobe was never going to happen, making the draft the time to trade him. Now they have to make a face-saving deal. Meanwhile, a season is wasted.

Chad Ford ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 2 | WEST: 9 If Kobe is happy and motivated, the Lakers are probably in line for the seventh seed. But if the melancholy Kobe we've seen in the preseason shows up, the Lakers will be in trouble. Kobe being halfhearted might be the final straw that gets him traded.

Jemele Hill ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 2 | WEST: 7 Assuming Kobe is still there, the Lakers will be wonderfully mediocre. Thankfully the Smush Parker era is over, but their frontcourt is still an eyesore. Let's see if Kobe makes it to midseason without taking out his frustration on someone.

John Hollinger ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 2 | WEST: 7 This prediction obviously assumes Kobe stays here all season, which is still where the smart money lies in my estimation. If not, revise this downward by 15 wins or so.

Chris Sheridan ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 2 | WEST: 9 With or without Kobe, they're no better than a 44-win team. They should be a terrific soap opera, however, so don't fall asleep on them. The clock is ticking on the next Kobe eruption.

Marc Stein ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 8 You have to believe that Kobe, after everything that was said in the offseason, is going to play with a chip on his shoulder so big that every other Laker can hop aboard. But it takes some serious faith to believe that Kobe and his chip will be Laker property for the whole season.

Good find! :D

Barry is such an idiot. He was still bagging on Bynum a week or so ago on ESPN Radio.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good find! :D

Barry is such an idiot. He was still bagging on Bynum a week or so ago on ESPN Radio.

To be fair, with the Kobe trade issue going on, most people, even Laker fans were cautiously optimistic. No one would have expected #1 for them.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
To be fair, with the Kobe trade issue going on, most people, even Laker fans were cautiously optimistic. No one would have expected #1 for them.

Yeah, I can't really bash anyone for their early season prediction. I remember when Indiana wanted to trade Jermaine O'neal for Bynum and Odom. I wanted O'neal over Bynum, my only problem was trading away Odom. I was hoping they would put another player or 2 with Bynum and trade him away. Boy was I wrong!! I'm just glad that the Lakers staff is smarter then I am. :lol:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Man, the Lakers are stepping on Sacramento's throat. Up 29 at the end of three. Ya gotta love that killer instinct going into the playoffs.

Best in the West, baby! :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back where we belong. :cool:

It's crazy to see the Lakers and Celtics both win their respective divisions.

How long has it been since the Celtics won the East? :shrug:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Lakers number one in the west baby!

Gotta love it, they came out and took care of business. Now it's time to get ready for the playoffs. Bring on the Nuggets/Mavs! :thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it you would rather face Denver over Dallas?

I'm not so sure, I guess I agree, but I think we can take either one.

We can sweep Denver. Dallas is a tougher matchup...close games and Dirk hot is scary.

Plus, having Spurs/Suns/Nooch/Dallas in the same half of the bracket is fantastic for the Lakers...only one of those teams would be seen by the one seed, in the WCF.

By far the best scenario.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
We can sweep Denver. Dallas is a tougher matchup...close games and Dirk hot is scary.

Plus, having Spurs/Suns/Nooch/Dallas in the same half of the bracket is fantastic for the Lakers...only one of those teams would be seen by the one seed, in the WCF.

You sold me. :lol:

I like Denver just because they really only have 2 good scorers and are very lax on Defense. A sweep would be tough, I'll give them one game at home and take Lakers in 5.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for...just saying. I've watched the last 10 games from Denver and I have to say they they have more players other than CA & AI. J.R. Smith, Kleiza & K. Mart have been playing great at the right time. They have managed to beat the Suns , Rockets, Mavs, GS (twice). They have only lost to Utah (in Utah) in the last 10 games that is a contender.
The Lakers have managed to win 3 from Denver but this is the best man to man match up between all teams in the first round. It won't be a sweep or no where near it. Your better option is the Mavs.
I can see a the Mavs winning 1 game but a see a real battle with Denver. If the Lakers run with Denver, they will be in trouble. The Lakers are going to have should slow the game and clog up the interior. If there interior defense is sup par, Denver will give them a hard time. Interior defense is the Lakers weakness and if they don't protect it, AI will take advantage of it. Mavs don't have the people to do that. Kidd hasn't been his ol' self with the Mavs so that is an advantage for the Lakers. Josh Howard has also been less of a threat as well. Your best bet is the Mavs...no doubt.

By the way, congrats on winning the #1 seed. :thumbup:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The knock on Denver is that they dont play as a unit. They are individually maybe one of the most talented rosters in the league, but they dont seem to gel. Plus George Karl is their coach. ;)

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score

Don't know how you can say that. The regular season is different than the post season. You cannot sweep Denver or the Mavs.
Denver has manged to beat contenders in the last 20 games. They dropped a few bad ones (Seattle , Sac) but where still beating the good teams decisively except for Utah at HOME. Denver is the tougher match up.
If you want to run with Denver, the Lakers will need to shoot a good % and play good interior defense. I don't think they can maintain that high level and sweep them. Plus, J.R. Smith, Kleiza, K. Mart have been playing great just in time for the play-offs. They are not the same team. Mavs have found ways to win and are unstable if you ask me. Dirk can't carry the team and I don't see them getting out of the first whether it is against the Lakers or someone else.
Isn't it Dirk that has managed to somehow fade into darkness during the play-offs?

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
The knock on Denver is that they dont play as a unit. They are individually maybe one of the most talented rosters in the league, but they dont seem to gel. Plus George Karl is their coach. ;)
Maybe that is just because people that don't watch them on a regular basis keep saying that. I wouldn't say they don't gel, they are not consistent at times but when they are, they beat the best. If they can stay consistent then they will be a problem. Mark my words on this one. Mavs have looked they haven't gelled as a team with Kidd...not Denver.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more time, here are tonight's scenarios;

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1. Lakers – Clinched No. 1 seed with win over Kings.

2. Hornets – Clinched No. 2 seed and Southwest Division title with win over Clippers.

3. Spurs – Will be No. 3 through 6 seed.
• Clinch No. 3 seed with win.
• Clinch No. 4 seed with Suns loss.
• Clinch No. 5 seed with Rockets loss.

4. Jazz – Have clinched Northwest Division title and will be No. 3 or 4 seed.

5. Rockets – Will be No. 5 or 6 seed.
• Clinch No. 5 seed and home-court advantage in first round with win and Jazz loss.
• Clinch No. 5 seed with win or Suns loss.

6. Suns – Will be No. 4 through 6 seed.
• Clinch No. 4 seed with win and Spurs loss.
• Clinch No. 5 seed with win and Rockets loss.

7. Mavericks – Will be No. 7 or 8 seed.
• Clinch No. 7 seed with win or Nuggets loss.

8. Nuggets – Will be No. 7 or 8 seed.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more time, here are tonight's scenarios;

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1. Lakers – Clinched No. 1 seed with win over Kings.

2. Hornets – Clinched No. 2 seed and Southwest Division title with win over Clippers.

3. Spurs – Will be No. 3 through 6 seed.
• Clinch No. 4 seed with Suns loss.
• Clinch No. 5 seed with Rockets loss.

4. Jazz – Have clinched Northwest Division title and will be No. 3 or 4 seed.

5. Rockets – Will be No. 5 or 6 seed.
• Clinch No. 5 seed and home-court advantage in first round with win and Jazz loss.
• Clinch No. 5 seed with win or Suns loss.

6. Suns – Will be No. 4 through 6 seed.
• Clinch No. 4 seed with win and Spurs loss.
• Clinch No. 5 seed with win and Rockets loss.

7. Mavericks – Will be No. 7 or 8 seed.
• Clinch No. 7 seed with win or Nuggets loss.

8. Nuggets – Will be No. 7 or 8 seed.

Big games tonight for sure.

Go Utah.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The game is on ESPN also. :)

Very little COD playing tonight and while the playoffs are going. This is going to be a hell of a playoffs, even better than last year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05