The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
All we have to do is take care of business 2 more times and we're #1 seed.

Bring on the Nuggets in the 1st! :D

{EDIT} Looks like Manu will miss the game on Sunday, that's good news for us.

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Big win for the Lakers today!

We need to take care of business at home against the Kings and we get a first round matchup with the Nuggets. I was hoping Dallas would drop to the 8th seed as they would be our easiest 1st round opponent, but that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.

We gotta beat the Kings and it's home court through out the West Playoffs.. amazing!

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a game. I cant wait to see the ESPN/Spike Lee film about KB.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I have never wanted to beat the Kings more then I do now.. and that's saying something.

Going from 8th seed to #1 in one year.. what a turn around that would be. I still just can't believe it. I thought we were at least 2 years away at best when the season started. People can say it's Pau all they want, he's a huge part of it, but it still amazes me how almost everyone on this entire team has improved so much so fast.

I can't remember ever being more proud of the Lakers, absolutely amazing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not start patting each other's backs just yet. We still have to beat the Kings. Houston could also stick their hands in the pot.

Let's go Nuggets tonight!

Another loss by the Nooch wouldn't be so bad either. ;)

Awesome win though...just great. Love watching bench time for the entire 4th quarter.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Let's not start patting each other's backs just yet. We still have to beat the Kings. Houston could also stick their hands in the pot.

Awesome win though...just great. Love watching bench time for the entire 4th quarter.

Oh I totally agree. A win against the Kings is far from a guarantee. It's good to know though that the Lakers control their fate now. They win, they're #1, that's all you can ask for. They still have to actually get it done.

I'm not writing them in as #1 yet, don't worry.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least this game isn't in Arco.

If there is a team out there that would love to hurt the Lakers post-season in any way, it's the Kangs.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Big win for the Lakers today!

We need to take care of business at home against the Kings and we get a first round matchup with the Nuggets. I was hoping Dallas would drop to the 8th seed as they would be our easiest 1st round opponent, but that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.

We gotta beat the Kings and it's home court through out the West Playoffs.. amazing!
Not necessarily. If both the Lakers and Houston win out, they'll both be 57-25, and Houston controls the tiebreaker against the Lakers.

Now here's where it gets tricky. If the Hornets also win out, then all three teams finish at 57-25 and the division tie between New Orleans and Houston must be applied first, and the Hornets own that one. Then the Lakers tiebreaker over the Hornets would give LA the #1.

See above. The Lakers actually need the Hornets to WIN, unless you want to rely on the Rockets losing.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Wow.. thanks Toad.. I didn't realize we were 1-2 vs the Rockets this year.

I'm definitely rooting for Denver tonight then. I want the Lakers to be able to lock it up with a win over the Kings. That's in interesting fact about the potential 3 way tie, what a crazy year.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. If both the Lakers and Houston win out, they'll both be 57-25, and Houston controls the tiebreaker against the Lakers.

Now here's where it gets tricky. If the Hornets also win out, then all three teams finish at 57-25 and the division tie between New Orleans and Houston must be applied first, and the Hornets own that one. Then the Lakers tiebreaker over the Hornets would give LA the #1.

See above. The Lakers actually need the Hornets to WIN, unless you want to rely on the Rockets losing.

Right now they are losing and losing big.

They face Utah in Utah tomorrow night.

Houston will lose one of those, maybe both. If the nooch lose too, a Laker meltdown against the kings (even money) wouldn't hurt us.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Thank you Houston! First they beat PHX to help the Lakers win the Pacific, then they get smoked in Denver to help L.A. win the West.

Just beat the Queens and the Lakers will be Best in the West. :)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Thank you Houston! First they beat PHX to help the Lakers win the Pacific, then they get smoked in Denver to help L.A. win the West.

Just beat the Queens and the Lakers will be Best in the West. :)

Yep.. the Rockets have really helped us out this week.

It's wierd because during the Spurs game, the announcers said that a win against the Kings locks up home court. This was before the Houston game even started, I wonder if they just missed it. I know I sure as hell did. :lol:

Oh well, not a problem anymore. Lakers have it in their hands, beat the Kings at home, and clench home court. That simple.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Oh well, not a problem anymore. Lakers have it in their hands, beat the Kings at home, and clench home court. That simple.
Not that Laker fans may care either way, but you may still get Dallas in the first round. The Mavs blew another one tonight at Seattle and are now only a game up on Denver with one game to play. If Dallas loses Wednesday to the Hornets and Denver beats Memphis, then the Nuggets claim the #7 and Dallas will slip to #8. (Denver owns tiebreaker vs Dallas)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Not that Laker fans may care either way, but you may still get Dallas in the first round. The Mavs blew another one tonight at Seattle and are now only a game up on Denver with one game to play. If Dallas loses Wednesday to the Hornets and Denver beats Memphis, then the Nuggets claim the #7 and Dallas will slip to #8. (Denver owns tiebreaker vs Dallas)

Interesting.. thanks for the heads up. I don't really have a preference, I don't think either Dallas or Denver can beat us in 7 games. They might give us a long series though. I'm just hoping we don't choke it against the Kings.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't done this yet, but congrats on winning the West. I am hoping that the Suns win out, because if they do, they will likely get the 3 seed and we won't meet up until the conference finals. What a ratings bonanza that would be! Better than the NBA finals for sure. (unless it is LA/Boston)

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one wants to be a road team against the Jazz. No one!

I dont know what is worse; Chinese water torture or seeing your team get torn to shreds by the Utah pick and roll.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suck it haters.

ANALYST PREDICTION

J.A. AdandeESPN.com
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 9 Right now they're the wildest card in the deck. With Kobe Bryant they could squeeze into one of the last playoff spots. Without him they're lottery bound. Lamar Odom would become their best player by default, and he's played more than 64 games only once in three years as a Laker.

Greg AnthonyESPN.com
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 8 The cloud hangs over L.A. no matter what happens with Kobe. If he leaves, there's an adjustment period for the new players. If he stays, the question of if, and when, he will be traded will linger. Tough times.

Jon Barry ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 10 Quite miraculous they made playoffs last year. Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom are not a good tandem -- both are terrific individually -- but sometimes it just doesn't work together. I saw no improvement with Andrew Bynum throughout the year.

Chris Broussard ESPN Mag
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 9 If Kobe remains, he still won't be enough to get this crew into the playoffs. Injuries are a problem again, and team chemistry is -- and always will be -- horrible. The good news? Maybe a "to-heck-with-it'' Kobe will entertain us with another 81, or more.

Ric Bucher ESPN Mag
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 8 It hurts to see such a proud franchise be reactive, not proactive. Patching it up with Kobe was never going to happen, making the draft the time to trade him. Now they have to make a face-saving deal. Meanwhile, a season is wasted.

Chad Ford ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 2 | WEST: 9 If Kobe is happy and motivated, the Lakers are probably in line for the seventh seed. But if the melancholy Kobe we've seen in the preseason shows up, the Lakers will be in trouble. Kobe being halfhearted might be the final straw that gets him traded.

Jemele Hill ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 2 | WEST: 7 Assuming Kobe is still there, the Lakers will be wonderfully mediocre. Thankfully the Smush Parker era is over, but their frontcourt is still an eyesore. Let's see if Kobe makes it to midseason without taking out his frustration on someone.

John Hollinger ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 2 | WEST: 7 This prediction obviously assumes Kobe stays here all season, which is still where the smart money lies in my estimation. If not, revise this downward by 15 wins or so.

Chris Sheridan ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 2 | WEST: 9 With or without Kobe, they're no better than a 44-win team. They should be a terrific soap opera, however, so don't fall asleep on them. The clock is ticking on the next Kobe eruption.

Marc Stein ESPN.com
PACIFIC: 3 | WEST: 8 You have to believe that Kobe, after everything that was said in the offseason, is going to play with a chip on his shoulder so big that every other Laker can hop aboard. But it takes some serious faith to believe that Kobe and his chip will be Laker property for the whole season.