The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Story: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jack_mccallum/04/15/perfect.ending0421/index.html

Jack McCallum said:
Right now, in a darkened video room at NBA Entertainment in Secaucus, N.J., and at ABC's offices in midtown Manhattan, interns who weren't even born when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson first squared off in the NBA Finals are probably collecting clips for a trip down memory lane. Ah, there's the footage of Celtics forward Kevin McHale clotheslining the Lakers' Kurt Rambis on a fast break, both of them springing up to go at each other. That happened in 1984. There's a montage of the tight-lipped Lakers after they were beaten 148-114 in the famed Game 1 Memorial Day Massacre at Boston Garden, which motivated L.A. to come back to win the series in six. That was in '85. There's a sideline shot of Magic seesaw dribbling across the lane and launching what he later christened "the junior, junior, junior skyhook" to nip the Celtics in a dramatic, Finals-turning Game 4. That was in '87.

There's a long way to go, of course, but the idea of a Celtics-Lakers title showdown, which hasn't happened since the Reagan Administration, is the most tantalizing postseason prospect to come along in years for the league, its network partners and fans starved for a rivalry that evokes the NBA's glory days. It's a stretch to compare the contemporary versions of these storied franchises to those of the past, but stretching is what hype is all about, right? So the media need to start thinking of ways to get L.A. coach Phil Jackson to make a snide comment about the strategic chops of his Boston counterpart, Doc Rivers. Or seeing if 22-year-old Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo will hint that 33-year-old Derek Fisher, who plays the same position for the Lakers, is too old.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
DFish's 0.4 game is on ESPNC tonight at 7P Eastern.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for [mostly] fun, here are KB's covers;

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So for my bachelor party about a month ago, we drove from PHX to LA to Vegas to PHX.

While in LA, we caught Lakers/Clippers. Donald had emailed John Black (Lakers PR guy) to see what he could do for us. At dinner, Donald tells me that after the game, we get to go onto the floor and hang out in the player's family waiting area. It was awesome. We saw Stu Lantz, Tex Winter, Coby Karl and I got my picture with Jordan Farmar;

:thumbup: to Donald

I think I have some other pics of the arena on my other camera. I am 6'0.5", so Jordan's listing of 6'2" seems spot on.

Attachments

• Adam_Jordan.jpg
    Adam_Jordan.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 168

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, Matt was very helpful in that respect.

Dude, your head is HUGE. Jordan's ears would look normal on you.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Some half time observations...

1. I think we'll win this game, but it's obviously going to be close.

2. Pau Gasol is a man possessed.

3. Ronny Turiaf is one of the most under rated defensive players in the league. His hands in traffic are superb.

4. Allan Iverson is a pure flat out stud.

5. We are not going to sweep this series, no way.

6. This years Nuggets are the best 8th seed I have ever seen. 50 wins and their number 8? Jebus!

Nursing a lead with Kobe playing horrible on the offensive end against a team that puts up points like no one else. I'll take it. We need to improve our rebounding though, or things are going to get really tough really quick.

I still however, fail to understand how a team has Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin, and Alan Iverson and sucks at defense? That I'll never understand. With their talent, Denver should be a top 4 seed. This one is gonna get rough, Go Lakers!!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some interesting fouls in this quarter.

Smith with the flagrant on Walton, but Smith ended up getting the most punishment on the play.

AI just tried to clear out Walton with his free hand during an AI on 2 drive attempt. Easy call forthe zebras.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder why the Lakers always seem to play better when the second unit is in there w/ Odom or Gasol. As soon as Kobe left the game, they took over. As soon as Kobe
came back in, the Nuggets started to come back. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder why the Lakers always seem to play better when the second unit is in there w/ Odom or Gasol. As soon as Kobe left the game, they took over. As soon as Kobe
came back in, the Nuggets started to come back. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Probably. :lol:

Kobe hit some big shots when he came back in, he's clearly having an awful game though. Odom and Gasol are carrying us at this point. The worst thing was Kobe's 4th "foul." How the hell do you pick up a foul for not even touching the offensive player? Denver is getting some breaks in this one.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05