The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
You're really happy about playing Utah in the 2nd?

I was pulling for Houston hardcore because Utah in the 2nd is not good for us. Don't get me wrong, I think we can beat them, but it likely goes 7. Utah will have 3 games at home and they are next to impossible to beat in Utah.

Houston is done, they should forfeit the next 2 games. They have absolutely zero chance. If Houston takes even one game in Utah, I'll feel 100% better about Utah in the 2nd. Right now, I'm not thrilled.. it's going to be a very tough match up.

In fact.. without Bynum.. it's no guarantee at all that we even win our home games. Utah worries me quite a bit.

Wow. You're more of a glass-is-half-empty kinda guy, huh? From your post you are practically predicting a Utah sweep over L.A.

L.A. went 3-1 against Utah, including a win in Utah w/out Bynum or Pau, and those three wins weren't even close. They owned Utah even the last few years when the the Lakers were barely mediocre.

Not saying it will be a sweep, but I have every confidence that the Lakers will handle the Jazz if they face them in the playoffs.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was pulling for Houston hardcore because Utah in the 2nd is not good for us. Don't get me wrong, I think we can beat them, but it likely goes 7. Utah will have 3 games at home and they are next to impossible to beat in Utah.

Houston is done, they should forfeit the next 2 games. They have absolutely zero chance. If Houston takes even one game in Utah, I'll feel 100% better about Utah in the 2nd. Right now, I'm not thrilled.. it's going to be a very tough match up.

In fact.. without Bynum.. it's no guarantee at all that we even win our home games. Utah worries me quite a bit.

Of course, we have to get past Denver first, so I'll worry about it later. News from ESPN is that Turiaf was sent home Monday with cold/flu symptoms, and DJ Mbenga was hospitalized with bruised ribs after a 2 on 2 collision. We could have some front court depth problems on Wednesday. Mbenga, who cares? But I really hope Turiaf is available.

They should. It will be a tough series with you guys. I already got money that it lasts 6 games.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
How did you get..

Wow. You're more of a glass-is-half-empty kinda guy, huh? From your post you are practically predicting a Utah sweep over L.A.

From..

Don't get me wrong, I think we can beat them, but it likely goes 7. Utah will have 3 games at home and they are next to impossible to beat in Utah.

?

I'm predicting Utah in a sweep? What?

I have the Lakers in the series, I think they're going to the finals, I'm just not going to buy into the "It will be a cake walk" series. Utah is so good at home though, that they could very easily push the series to 7 games. I think there is a chance the Lakers lose, but if I had to bet, my money will always be on the Lakers. I'm weary of Utah, but by no means am I saying they will beat us much less sweep us. That's just silly. :lol:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
How did you get..

From..

?

I'm predicting Utah in a sweep? What?

I have the Lakers in the series, I think they're going to the finals, I'm just not going to buy into the "It will be a cake walk" series. Utah is so good at home though, that they could very easily push the series to 7 games. I think there is a chance the Lakers lose, but if I had to bet, my money will always be on the Lakers. I'm weary of Utah, but by no means am I saying they will beat us much less sweep us. That's just silly. :lol:

In fact.. without Bynum.. it's no guarantee at all that we even win our home games.

The series goes six games, max.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The series goes six games, max.

What I meant was, without Bynum, none of the games are a lock, including our home games. I don't think Utah will beat the Lakers, but I do think it will go 7. I hope I'm wrong, I just have a lot of respect for Utah and the way they have played at home this year. They are a class organization, and I respect them and expect a hell of a fight out of them. They will be well rested after sweeping the Rockets, so we should do our best to hold pace and take out Denver in 4.

Sorry if my post sounded like I doubted the Lakers, I don't, I just don't buy the "it will be easy" stuff. It won't be easy, no way.

Lakers will still win though. :thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If we get there, yes. We were 3-1 against them this season, and one of their 4 losses at home was to the Lakers...without Bynum or Pau. There are matchup problems for them all over the floor. They are also a really bad road team, 17-24 on the year, and we are a really good road team, 27-14 (tied for second best road record in the league).

I had more concern with Houston because Battier is actually a very good defender on Kobe, and no-names like Luther Head seem to drop bombs on us. I simply like our chances with Utah much better. I wish Houston would have given them a challenge though...would be nice to wear them down a bit.

But yeah, let's put Denver away first. AI and Melo are going to have something to say about round 2. We need to take a 2-0 lead into Denver, withstand an onslaught in the first half in game 3 and hopefully split (or better) in the mountains.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
But yeah, let's put Denver away first. AI and Melo are going to have something to say about round 2. We need to take a 2-0 lead into Denver, withstand an onslaught in the first half in game 3 and hopefully split (or better) in the mountains.

Amen bro.. Amen!!

I can't wait for Wednesday. :)

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A pretty large group of Lakers fans in Phoenix (from LakersGround) are converging on a west-valley bar on Wednesday. Should be interesting.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking more and more likely that Bynum will be shut down for the rest of the year.

Also, Kobe comes in fifth in DPOY voting.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same for Ariza.

Sucks that we have to wait till next season to see the complete team. Oh well, Bryant, Gasol and Odom are still a pretty deadly trio.

Where are you seeing same for Ariza?

Recently Phil said he expects him back at some point.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good for us. He won't get his shots with AI and Melo dominating the ball, and it makes their second unit much less effective. Our bench should dominate.

Who guards AI is the question though...Fish can't do it....and he can't guard anyone else. That's going to be the HUGE matchup of the game.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Good for us. He won't get his shots with AI and Melo dominating the ball, and it makes their second unit much less effective. Our bench should dominate.

Who guards AI is the question though...Fish can't do it....and he can't guard anyone else. That's going to be the HUGE matchup of the game.

Let AI and Carmelo have their 60 points on 50 shots, like they did in Game 1. Lakers will take that any day.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Should be interesting to see DEN's second unit against LA's 1a.

If you are Phil, do even think about tinkering with the lineup to combat AI, or do you roll as is? I guess Sasha could pester him the best.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see DEN's second unit against LA's 1a.

If you are Phil, do even think about tinkering with the lineup to combat AI, or do you roll as is? I guess Sasha could pester him the best.

Roll as is, and expect to see help from both Sasha and Jordan sooner rather than later. Sasha will get more time on AI and maybe AI will try to choke him.

I hope The Machine is raining SJOD as well.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Where are you seeing same for Ariza?

Recently Phil said he expects him back at some point.

I haven't seen anything ruling out Ariza, it just seems like he's still a ways off. As far as I know he's only been ruled out for round 1 so far. Hopefully he improves, but the news hasn't been encouraging so far. His defense would be a huge boost for us if we can get him back.

As for who guards AI, use Fisher again. Yeah, Fish can't stop him, but no one can. The key to beating Denver isn't stopping AI, just try and contain him as much as possible. The more AI tries to do it all himself, the better our chances for the win. Klieza is a solid big man, but I think they are crazy to change up their starting line up. They won 50 games with the lineup that started Sunday, why change now? I guess I'm just one of those people that believes the playoffs are too late in the season to start making adjustments to your line up. At this point, you really should roll with what got you here.

I think the Lakers dominate game 2, I can't wait.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some one fire up the D'Antoni excuse machine.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refs stole this game from PHX.

Either that or Amare going 0-fer in the second half.

Dude shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as Kobe, LeBron, etc.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Shaq looked good, but that was about it. Barbosa and Diaw were absolutely terrible, and they just kept feeding Diaw like he was on fire. The problem is that they got Shaq to deal with Duncan, and while that didn't work in game 1, it seemed effective in game 2. That's all fine, but they traded away Marion and now they have no one to put on Ginobli. They're just getting killed by different spurs this year, Manu and Parker were unstoppable tonight.

2-0 is too big of a hole. I thought Phoenix had it, but no way they take 4 of the next 5. Spurs vs. Hornets should be a good matchup though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05