The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you obviously don't know my friends. the funny thing about this is that I didn't even see the play live. I was talking to my friend behind me and all I heard was, "Oh Kobe, that's just gay." "Yeah." Then, when I asked what happened, they wouldn't even tell me, still loving the overall performance, but shamed by the moment. It was until the highlights that I saw what they were talking about and agreed with them. Reminded me of Amare's lame ass push-up routine against the Spurs back in 2005. Just lame.

As far as the jersey popping thing, it's the first round. Act like you've been there before (especially since you have). He's just like the rest of this group of kids in the NBA, starved for attention that they think they deserve.

I completely disagree with everything you posted there. First round or finals, Kobe gets jacked up to play, and he interacts with the crowd. This is entertainment man, I am entertained.

Shaq and Kobe are showmen, always have been. I remember when they used to dunk and look at their hands like "did I just do that with this hand???" and crap like that. Shaq's gorilla walk. Kobe blowing out the "flames" on his fingers. It's entertainment, and they know how to bring it.

Anyone has a problem with that has a problem with being happy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's so embarrassing to see your start player actually showing some emotion. :sarcasm:

You want embarrassing? Watch AI and JR Smith crying to the refs after every single play, that was pathetic. The longer this series goes, the less I'm respecting the Nuggets. They do the same thing the Suns do, everytime they get out played they just blame the refs.

AI and JR Smith are embarrassing as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree with everything you posted there. First round or finals, Kobe gets jacked up to play, and he interacts with the crowd. This is entertainment man, I am entertained.

Shaq and Kobe are showmen, always have been. I remember when they used to dunk and look at their hands like "did I just do that with this hand???" and crap like that. Shaq's gorilla walk. Kobe blowing out the "flames" on his fingers. It's entertainment, and they know how to bring it.

Anyone has a problem with that has a problem with being happy.

I've got no problem with being happy. I just think attention ****** are sad. Kobe, Keyshawn and anyone else who throws "happy tantrums". (and I said Key because my first thought seeing was that was Keyshawn's ridiculous tantrum after scoring his first TD).

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want embarrassing? Watch AI and JR Smith crying to the refs after every single play, that was pathetic. The longer this series goes, the less I'm respecting the Nuggets.

so do respect Kobe the more this season went on because the dude led the league in Ts for bitching at the refs. They just look worse because they're usually losing, but don't kid yourself. Kobe cries as much as any of those guys during the game.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of playoff intensity. I like to see that it matters, even if it's just game 2 of the first round. I like to see my team get pumped and know they're not letting off the gas, that they want it and that they're going for the throat.

It meant something different to long time Laker fans then it did to anyone else. We haven't really seen Kobe pumped up like that for 3+ years now. Laker fans love Kobe, but we have heard him say he wants out, we heard him saying he's leaving, he's not happy, etc. and that sucked. To see them in the playoffs, to see them playing so well, and to see Kobe holding out that Laker logo with pride is something special to those of us that were hoping against hope that Kobe would not only stay, but stay because he wants to be a Laker.

When he did that, I saw a player that was enthusiastic and happy to be a Laker. That's huge for us, we go as Kobe goes, plain and simple.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of playoff intensity. I like to see that it matters, even if it's just game 2 of the first round. I like to see my team get pumped and know they're not letting off the gas, that they want it and that they're going for the throat.

It meant something different to long time Laker fans then it did to anyone else. We haven't really seen Kobe pumped up like that for 3+ years now. Laker fans love Kobe, but we have heard him say he wants out, we heard him saying he's leaving, he's not happy, etc. and that sucked. To see them in the playoffs, to see them playing so well, and to see Kobe holding out that Laker logo with pride is something special to those of us that were hoping against hope that Kobe would not only stay, but stay because he wants to be a Laker.

When he did that, I saw a player that was enthusiastic and happy to be a Laker. That's huge for us, we go as Kobe goes, plain and simple.

eh, okay.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
so do respect Kobe the more this season went on because the dude led the league in Ts for bitching at the refs. They just look worse because they're usually losing, but don't kid yourself. Kobe cries as much as any of those guys during the game.
I have to agree. In fact, I was watching ESPN that said Kobe was bitching at the refs in another language because he didn't want to get that infamous last T and get suspended during the final games of the regular season. They made him stop.

Sorry guys, Kobe is in the top 5 when it comes to bitching. Sometimes he just gives a long dirty look at the refs but 9 out of 10 times he will react when a call is not made. Most of the elite players do it. Only a few rarely do. Man, the love for a player is getting mighty thick up in this neck of the woods. Glad you guys are winning but maybe a Kobe thread or section should be in order.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. In fact, I was watching ESPN that said Kobe was bitching at the refs in another language because he didn't want to get that infamous last T and get suspended during the final games of the regular season. They made him stop.

Sorry guys, Kobe is in the top 5 when it comes to bitching. Sometimes he just gives a long dirty look at the refs but 9 out of 10 times he will react when a call is not made. Most of the elite players do it. Only a few rarely do. Man, the love for a player is getting mighty thick up in this neck of the woods. Glad you guys are winning but maybe a Kobe thread or section should be in order.

Kobe ******* to the refs, no doubt. However, he also admits when he fouls. He'll put up his hand, or laugh because he knows he got caught. BTW, I have no issue with him bitching at the refs...it's part of the game. Most of Kobe's bitching though is about calls that are not made, rather than calls that are made.

J.R. Smith is the worst player I've ever seen at whining though. He is incredulous every single time a foul is called on him, even when he clearly fouls someone...he could have blood from the guy all over him and run around eyes wide, hands up, shaking and saying "i didn't even touch him!"

There is a difference in bitching at the refs and in whining at the refs. Most elite players bitch at the refs, stare at them, etc. I don't mind that..whatever. It's the whining that I hate (my avatar does it too). Tim Duncan had it mastered, but he is moving more towards the looks of disgust than the palms up "what, me foulie?" J.R. Smith is the worst offender I might have ever seen in the whine department. In his mind, he's never committed a foul.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Go Lakers!!! Win it all for all of us bandwagon Lakers fans here in Phoenix!!! We love winning and we love the Lakers!! Go Lakers!! Go Lakers!!! We love Kobe!!!! MVP MVP MVP!!!!! The Lakers are the best!!!!

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go Lakers!!! Win it all for all of us bandwagon Lakers fans here in Phoenix!!! We love winning and we love the Lakers!! Go Lakers!! Go Lakers!!! We love Kobe!!!! MVP MVP MVP!!!!! The Lakers are the best!!!!

Glad to see you finally coming around. :thumbup:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is going to be an enjoyable day. Draft party with friends and watching the Lakers roll. ;)

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
On ESPN radio last night it was discussed that Andrew Bynum's knee could possibly be career ending. He may have to have some corrective surgery and possibly a few follow up procedures.

This is sort of a 180 turn (360 degrees if you're Jason Kidd) from what I have read. However it's not suprising this eventually came up because of how many times his return has been pushed back.

Anyone hear anything? It would be a shame if he never takes the floor again

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we've heard about a billion different things. No idea at all what is true these days.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least Kobe didn't kiss his own bicep on the court like Nash. Now that was gay.

(For reference, I refer you to Cheesewater's signature)

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/member.php?u=3861

a guy who's a weakling kissing his guns is making fun of himself. Self-deprecating humor isn't gay Renz. Again, if you had said Amare doing push-ups after getting an And 1 or the Suns doing their ring-around-the-rosey act before the game or Tim Thomas doing his "you can't see me" thing against the Mavs a couple of years ago, I'd agree with you and pointed those things out as lame when they happened. But someone basically making fun of himself? Not sure how that's gay. And if you think Nash was actually kissing his "guns" because he thinks his ripped, well, then, I don't know what to tell you.

man, Laker fans on this board (BIM excluded) can be such sycophants sometimes. You knows guys, it is possible to look at your team or their actions objectively sometimes. Not EVERYTHING they do is the bees knees. And not everything someone says about your team is motivated by hate. I hated the Lakers, but loved Magic. I hated the Bulls but marveled at pretty much everything Jordan did. Hell, I hated the Lakers again, but thought Shaq was pretty damn funny, even when acting a fool (although his woe is me act was pretty sad). I just happen to think Kobe's a phony. To me, the guy has zero charisma. He's a freaking assassin on the court, but I just don't see a lot underneath. Don't get me wrong, I'd KILL to have him on my team, but the adulation he gets for every little thing he does is just a bit beyond me.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On ESPN radio last night it was discussed that Andrew Bynum's knee could possibly be career ending. He may have to have some corrective surgery and possibly a few follow up procedures.

This is sort of a 180 turn (360 degrees if you're Jason Kidd) from what I have read. However it's not suprising this eventually came up because of how many times his return has been pushed back.

Anyone hear anything? It would be a shame if he never takes the floor again

wow. that would be a shame for him.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Another great win today, and a 3-0 lead for the Lakers. Kinda hard to find any fault in todays game, but if I had one complaint it would be the off day from the free throw line. Luckily, it wasn't a factor as the Lakers just opened up a can of Whoop Ass on the Nuggets.

How about that Luke Walton huh? He's having a hell of a series so far, and another big game today. I was also pleasantly surprised by Vlad's defense on Carmello, he really shut him down for long stretches of the game. Lakers have it rolling right now, lets hope they keep it up and get rid of these guys in 4.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Another great win today, and a 3-0 lead for the Lakers. Kinda hard to find any fault in todays game, but if I had one complaint it would be the off day from the free throw line. Luckily, it wasn't a factor as the Lakers just opened up a can of Whoop Ass on the Nuggets.

How about that Luke Walton huh? He's having a hell of a series so far, and another big game today. I was also pleasantly surprised by Vlad's defense on Carmello, he really shut him down for long stretches of the game. Lakers have it rolling right now, lets hope they keep it up and get rid of these guys in 4.
The series is over! Man, talk about no heart. The Nuggets look lethargic out there. It isn't even close. Melo is a marshmallow and so are the rest of them. Shoot, I thought this was going to be exciting and I was wrong.

Congrats on this series. Time to move on. :thumbup:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The series is over! Man, talk about no heart. The Nuggets look lethargic out there. It isn't even close. Melo is a marshmallow and so are the rest of them. Shoot, I thought this was going to be exciting and I was wrong.

Congrats on this series. Time to move on. :thumbup:

Denver gave up in Game 2. You could tell by the way they were just racking up Techs like it was no big deal, they knew they weren't going past the 1st and they didn't care. Today they showed no heart, no fight, nothing. This is a team that only lost 8 games at home all year. Denver is supposed to be a tough place to win, but you could tell the Nuggets just didn't care. They are already beaten, it ends officially on Monday, but this series is over.

On that note, Kenyon Martin is a bitch. That guy cries about everything, someone get him a diaper and send him home. I can't believe I used to like that guy, what an ass.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Denver gave up in Game 2. You could tell by the way they were just racking up Techs like it was no big deal, they knew they weren't going past the 1st and they didn't care. Today they showed no heart, no fight, nothing. This is a team that only lost 8 games at home all year. Denver is supposed to be a tough place to win, but you could tell the Nuggets just didn't care. They are already beaten, it ends officially on Monday, but this series is over.

On that note, Kenyon Martin is a bitch. That guy cries about everything, someone get him a diaper and send him home. I can't believe I used to like that guy, what an ass.

I also think the Laker's defense has been great. Maybe frustration turned to defeat? Melo is a disgrace to his team. The guy is playing like crap and all you see is smiles on this guys face. Shame the guy finds humor in being swept in 4 games. Good job and onward to face Utah....

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, Laker fans on this board (BIM excluded) can be such sycophants sometimes. You knows guys, it is possible to look at your team or their actions objectively sometimes. Not EVERYTHING they do is the bees knees. And not everything someone says about your team is motivated by hate. I hated the Lakers, but loved Magic. I hated the Bulls but marveled at pretty much everything Jordan did. Hell, I hated the Lakers again, but thought Shaq was pretty damn funny, even when acting a fool (although his woe is me act was pretty sad). I just happen to think Kobe's a phony. To me, the guy has zero charisma. He's a freaking assassin on the court, but I just don't see a lot underneath. Don't get me wrong, I'd KILL to have him on my team, but the adulation he gets for every little thing he does is just a bit beyond me.

And you sometimes have to understand that you can be wrong. I know it is hard, cheese, but you can be. You think Kobe's phony. I don't. Big deal. But you won't convince me of your thoughts just as I wont' convince you of mine. I've watched Kobe since jump...really...since he did an interview with Brooke Shields subbing for some late night talk show guy when he was announcing his NBA decision. Before I knew he'd be a laker. I've followed his career closely. I don't think he's a phony. You might. I really don't care. But your feelings don't make you right.

I could turn around and say that you Nash fans or Amare fans are sycophants...the shoe does fit. But you know what...wgas?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say...great work Luke Walton. I've been his biggest critic all year but he's ballin' in the playoffs. Maybe it is this matchup, but I'd love to see the same effort against the Jazz (Rockets??) next round.

'Cause yeah...this round is over.

Get the broom..*******....please sweep this sorry ass tat-shop team.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Carmello Anthony said:
"In a game like tonight, on our home court, us giving up as a whole is uncalled for," Anthony fumed. "Yeah. We quit. Everybody. From the coaches to the players, we quit. And I said it."I'm not blaming anyone. I'm not pointing the fingers at nobody. I didn't play worth a [expletive] tonight, and I can accept that. But as a competitor, there's no way that I should lay down and quit and lay down on my team like we did tonight."

:biglaugh:

Way to give up ass clowns!

Source