The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you sometimes have to understand that you can be wrong. I know it is hard, cheese, but you can be. You think Kobe's phony. I don't. Big deal. But you won't convince me of your thoughts just as I wont' convince you of mine. I've watched Kobe since jump...really...since he did an interview with Brooke Shields subbing for some late night talk show guy when he was announcing his NBA decision. Before I knew he'd be a laker. I've followed his career closely. I don't think he's a phony. You might. I really don't care. But your feelings don't make you right.

I could turn around and say that you Nash fans or Amare fans are sycophants...the shoe does fit. But you know what...wgas?

D-dog, I live in LA, I read every paper, I listen to every sports show... I've followed Kobe pretty damn close and I pretty much know everything the guy does that any normal basketball fans needs to know. The fact that you know of some interview with Brooke Shield as a sub says it all to me. It SCREAMS sycophant. And to be honest, I'd SHOCKED if Renz or BIM knew about it because they care about sports, not every single TMZ breathing portion of life Kobe Bryant lives, because to be honest, that's not fandom, that's OBSESSION and THAT'S what makes you a sycophant. It's the same thing as Andrew, actually. And as far as the Amare/Nash thing, here's the difference, I can actually recognize the flaws in both of those guys and call a spade a spade there as well, as opposed to you who slobbers over literally everything Kobe does, good or bad.

it's okay to have a little objectivity over your own players. I mean you used to defend Kwame freaking Brown for pete's sake. I don't know how someone can be more sycophantic for the Lakers than that.

Last edited:

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
The Nuggets have given up. They're just anticipating the offseason. In their minds: "one mo' game...........season ending interviews with the GM and coach, clean out da locka, head back to _____________ and kick wit ma dogs, ya'mean. I might drop some stack on dat new Eskie (Cadillac Escalade) and sit em on 24's when i get back to ma spot. Fuh real."

Theyre mentally there (vacation) already, but by league mandate, they HAVE to suit for this game.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-dog, I live in LA, I read every paper, I listen to every sports show... I've followed Kobe pretty damn close and I pretty much know everything the guy does that any normal basketball fans needs to know. The fact that you know of some interview with Brooke Shield as a sub says it all to me. It SCREAMS sycophant. And to be honest, I'd SHOCKED if Renz or BIM knew about it because they care about sports, not every single TMZ breathing portion of life Kobe Bryant lives, because to be honest, that's not fandom, that's OBSESSION and THAT'S what makes you a sycophant. It's the same thing as Andrew, actually. And as far as the Amare/Nash thing, here's the difference, I can actually recognize the flaws in both of those guys and call a spade a spade there as well, as opposed to you who slobbers over literally everything Kobe does, good or bad.

it's okay to have a little objectivity over your own players. I mean you used to defend Kwame freaking Brown for pete's sake. I don't know how someone can be more sycophantic for the Lakers than that.

A) I'm perfectly willing to complain about Kobe and I do, quite often. He's got TONS of flaws, but he has one thing that I respect above all else...insane work ethic. That's what he is about..and that is not phony. Heck, I complained about Kobe taking a shot deep when he could drive in last nights game...and yes he made the shot.

B) I defended an ASPECT of Kwame's game while fully admitting that he was a mental midget with terribly sloppy hands. He wasn't worthless though and he did bring defense and great picks to the table...which got progressively worse.

C) I bring up the Brooke Shields thing was because I didn't know who he was at that time...just some high school kid that I happened to see in an interview and thought he was a confident kid...who then got worked out by Jerry West and word got out that the workout was unreal....who then got drafted by my team. So I had an interest early on...

I've read all the Lazenby books about both the Lakers and Kobe. Those two books alone are enough to give more insight into what makes Kobe tick than anything else. And he's not a phony, which was the point of this conversation in the first place. BTW, I care about him solely because he's one of the most incredible players I've ever watched play, not because he's some standup guy. I know about his off-the court life because a ton is reported on it..not because I seek it out.

D) The difference between Andrew and me is that if Kobe had been traded I wouldn't have become a Bulls fan, or even followed them very closely. I'd have hoped Kobe did well, and got his ass busted by the Lakers every time they played.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
For the record, I HAVE NOT heard of the Kobe/Brooke Shields interview. :D

Personally, I have always liked Kobe (other than the obvious reason that he's a great player on my favorite team) because I kind of relate to his personality.

To me, he has always seemed like an introvert who is really uncomfortable when he has to speak in front of a crowd. In my mind, that's why he comes across as "phony", because public speaking doesn't seem to come natural to him. I don't think Kobe is a phony, I think he would rather just play ball, work with kids, or be at home.

I think the emotion that Kobe shows on the court is genuine because he obviously loves the game. I also admire his work ethic and drive to win, which is unsurpassed IMO. When Kobe comes across as selfish it is because he just wants to win so badly and that leads to some bad decision-making at times, like the Bynum bashing etc.

I don't believe any of the stuff written about Kobe being a "bad teammate" either. Other than Shaq, I can't think of one former teammate that has said anything negative about Kobe. I also think that the improvement by players like Bynum, Vujacic and Farmar have a lot to with being exposed to a guy like Kobe who is already the best, but he never slacks off and works as hard as he can to keep getting better.

That's, in a nutshell, why Kobe is my favorite player.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I don't believe any of the stuff written about Kobe being a "bad teammate" either. Other than Shaq, I can't think of one former teammate that has said anything negative about Kobe. I also think that the improvement by players like Bynum, Vujacic and Farmar have a lot to with being exposed to a guy like Kobe who is already the best, but he never slacks off and works as hard as he can to keep getting better.

That's, in a nutshell, why Kobe is my favorite player.

Bingo!

The only real complaints about Kobe have come from one man. One man who's made a career of throwing others under the bus and refusing to take responsibility. Of all the guys Kobe has worked with, Shaq is the only one that brings these complaints about being a "bad team mate." All the interviews with the Lakers feature everyone talking about what a great team mate Kobe is. Kobe puts people off because he is arrogant at times, but I'm sorry, that's necessary for a great player. Kobe is the best and he knows it, nothing wrong with that, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I want a guy on my team that's confident in the 4th that no one can stop him.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Bingo!

The only real complaints about Kobe have come from one man. One man who's made a career of throwing others under the bus and refusing to take responsibility. Of all the guys Kobe has worked with, Shaq is the only one that brings these complaints about being a "bad team mate." All the interviews with the Lakers feature everyone talking about what a great team mate Kobe is. Kobe puts people off because he is arrogant at times, but I'm sorry, that's necessary for a great player. Kobe is the best and he knows it, nothing wrong with that, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I want a guy on my team that's confident in the 4th that no one can stop him.

Chuckie Atkins
: called Kobe the general manager of the Lakers...not a compliment

Samaki walker
: had a fight with Kobe on a plane.

Phil Jackson: Jackson sees Bryant as the epitome of today’s selfish player, a "callous gun for hire." ( from his book)

You must be registered for see images attach

I thought you guys were real fans? I am not a fan but I remember well. These are the only ones that came to mind. Wasn't Kobe on tape saying Bynum sucked? Trade him? Who was throwing whom under the bus?

Someone has to stand up for the "big Aristotle".....

The big fella has proved he can win one without Kobe, lets see if Kobe can do it without him?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I thought you guys were real fans?

Not often that you seriously piss me off Joe, but that one did it.

Just because I don't consider a fight with Samaki Walker or a comment from Chuckie Atkins as law, I'm somehow not a fan? WTF?

The comment from Phil was years ago, Kobe has changed considerably since that day and Phil himself has said that. Give me a break dude, the only thing you posted that has any relevance at all is the comment on Bynum which was totally stupid to say. Kobe was frustrated and angry and he said things he shouldn't have. He has since patched things up with Bynum and they play very well together.

I can't believe you have the gaul to call me out as a fan because I actually support our teams star player. Un-f**cking-real Joe!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I am looking forward to the day Kobe is no longer a Laker. I want the current team to do well, but I do not like him or cheer for him as an individual. That's just me, but I know I'm not the only Lakers fan who is wired like this.

Just because I'm a fan of the team does not mean I must blindly throw my support behind every player who suits up in my team's colors.

I love it when the team plays well without him (which they usually do).

Go Lakers !! :jedi:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Not often that you seriously piss me off Joe, but that one did it.

Just because I don't consider a fight with Samaki Walker or a comment from Chuckie Atkins as law, I'm somehow not a fan? WTF?

The comment from Phil was years ago, Kobe has changed considerably since that day and Phil himself has said that. Give me a break dude, the only thing you posted that has any relevance at all is the comment on Bynum which was totally stupid to say. Kobe was frustrated and angry and he said things he shouldn't have. He has since patched things up with Bynum and they play very well together.

I can't believe you have the gaul to call me out as a fan because I actually support our teams star player. Un-f**cking-real Joe!

Jeez, why you taking this seriously? Maybe I should have put a smiley there cause I was making a point in humor.
Calling you out? uhhh...what?
How did I do that? By pointing something out you might have forgotten?
You made a statement that was not accurate and I just reminded you guys that wasn't the case. Why get insulted by it?

If you can't find humor in what I said then you don't have a funny bone. Nowhere in my post did I disrespect you, it was in humor.

By the way, All my points are relevant. If you can go all the way back to bash
Shaq, why can't I bring up what his coach said about him or other players that had problems with him? They happened during the same period. In fact, one of the latest comments came from Phil's book...not Shaq.

Jesus, I guess you can't make any humorous statements without someone getting "hot".

You of all people should know that I know you are a real fan. I was the one that told you how great they were going to be when you had no faith in them. This was before the season started...remember? I know where you grew up and how you loved the Lakers...remember? So if you know we have talked about this team and know I know you have been a fan for a long time, why would you think I would disrespect you like that? C'mon, you are taking this way too seriously.

Haren

Veteran
Reaction score
As a Laker fan, I sure hope we can put an end to this series tomorrow. You do NOT want this series to go on any longer than it has to. And after watching the Spurs not being able to finish off the Suns, I'm a little bit concerned about the same thing possibly happening to the Lakers. So hopefully they prove me wrong by winning tomorrow and get some much needed rest before taking on Utah.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Laker fan, I sure hope we can put an end to this series tomorrow. You do NOT want this series to go on any longer than it has to. And after watching the Spurs not being able to finish off the Suns, I'm a little bit concerned about the same thing possibly happening to the Lakers. So hopefully they prove me wrong by winning tomorrow and get some much needed rest before taking on Utah.

Absolutely. This is "step on the throat" time and closing it out on the road in a sweep would say a lot about the Lakers mentality right now.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. This is "step on the throat" time and closing it out on the road in a sweep would say a lot about the Lakers mentality right now.

You mean the opposite of the Spurs on Sunday? :)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I want to see killer instinct today. Not just a win, I want another blow out in this one. Send a message to the rest of the league that the Lakers are for real.

I know Denver is the 8th seed, but they are one of, if not THE best 8th seed ever. They have the most wins of any 8th seed ever, and they are the highest scoring 8th seed ever. Sweeping them would be a huge accomplishment in my eyes. Go for the kill!

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Side Bar: I'm sitting here watching the Celtics struggle big time against the Atlanta Hawks, who in my opinion are one of the worst teams ever to make the playoffs.

Call me crazy, but the Celtics don't scare me as much as they did 2 weeks ago. I can't believe they lost a game to these guys, now they are in danger of losing 2. If they lose that 2nd game that's going to say a lot.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the Hawks beat the Celts?!?!?!?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, this is simply wonderful. Just wonderful. I'm as excited for this as I am the Lakers.

I told Faith just now...you know who Daddy's two favorite NBA teams are? THe Lakers and whoever is playing the Celtics. She says...Go Hawks!

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Wow.. just... wow!

Hawks even the series at 2-2.. amazing.

I really thought that Boston and Detroit were head and shoulders above the rest of the East, but here they both sit at 2-2 against teams they should be killing. Looks like the East is going to be a war.

Lets go Lakers, make it a perfect night. Celtics lose and let Atlanta back in the series, and the Lakers complete the sweep.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hawks could be up 3-1. They only lost one of the games in Boston by 3 points.

They have a lot of young talent. It surprises me they were able to play as a team and pull it out.

I love it because I HATE the Celtics. :thumbup: