The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been in Austin all week for a conference. My time has def not been my own. :(

I sent you a PM about GTA: IV. This weekend would be perfect if you are game.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Heroic effort by the Jazz, gotta give them their props..

With that being said.. someone get them some fishing poles. Hello Western Conference Finals! :thumbup:

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn entertaining series. Great win in Utah to put the Lakers on a bit of well earned rest.

They are gonna need it.

BTW, Team USA has Kidd, CP3 and Deron as the PGs...how freaking sick is that??

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
It's still just so surreal.

At the starting of this season, I was just praying for the 7th seed. I was just hoping that the team would play well enough to convince Kobe not to leave, I was really unsure where this team was going.

Now here we are, the #1 seed, a Happy MVP Kobe, and a trip to the WCF. What a great year for the Lakers, I really didn't think this was possible so soon. This franchise never fails to amaze me.

If we manage to beat the Spurs or Hornets, that would just be amazing. I can't believe we have gotten this far without Bynum.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Ha, you'll love this..

The Jazz became the best home team ever to get eliminated from the playoffs at home. Their home record was the best ever for a team that lost an elimination game on their own floor.

The previous holder of that title was the 2002 Sacramento Kings who lost to.. you guessed it, the Lakers.

Before that, it was the 2001 Kings who also lost to.. you guessed it, the Lakers.

:)

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I think it's funny that the more the Lakers succeed, the more Suns fans are getting hostile toward us. The better the Lakers do, the bigger deal it is that we post in the "Suns Forum." At first I was mad about it, but then I realized there is no point in being angry. I'm just going to realize they are angry because they are jealous and take that for what it's worth.

Go Lakers! :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Jazz can swing a legit low post threat (it ain't Boozer) they will be a force again next season in the west. It is really the one thing they are missing. Deron is only going to get better.

Better still, the Lakers need to steal him away to run the tri. :)

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I am drained. I freaking love this team. Most fans will never, ever, ever know what it is like to have a player like KB on their team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe led the team in points (33.2) and assists (7.2) for the series. Very MVP like there.

Odom led in boards (11.7) and FG% (59%) and 3pt% (67%) for the series. Very solid 3rd man there.

Pau led in blocks, and most improved in post-season record.

Sasha led the bench.

Derek fisher led in heart.

I love this team.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but it's looking to me like the Lakers are headed to title #15. I thought perhaps the best shot at beating them rested with the Celtics, but I have not been too impressed with Boston in the playoffs. I think Detroit is going to beat them in the ECF, not only because they will be well rested, but because they know how to win a freaking road game.

Lakers vs Pistons will not be as exciting as Lakers-Celtics and will be agony for me to watch since I can't stand either team. However, I do respect the Lakers.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but it's looking to me like the Lakers are headed to title #15. I thought perhaps the best shot at beating them rested with the Celtics, but I have not been too impressed with Boston in the playoffs. I think Detroit is going to beat them in the ECF, not only because they will be well rested, but because they know how to win a freaking road game.

Lakers vs Pistons will not be as exciting as Lakers-Celtics and will be agony for me to watch since I can't stand either team. However, I do respect the Lakers.

Boston has still been great at home, and would have home court against us, as would the Pistons. Of course, right now, I'm just worried about how the hell we're gonna beat the Hornets or the Spurs. :p

I'm hoping it's the Hornets.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
why is Sasha called
'the machine'?

per wiki

wikipedia said:
It has been widely reported on television and media that Vujacic gave himself the nickname "The Machine", which most recently has been stated on TNT's coverage of the 2008 NBA Playoffs by commentators such as Marv Albert, Reggie Miller and Doug Collins. However, this is not the case. Members of the LA sports media, including TJ Simers of the LA Times, have tracked down the origin of the nickname to Joel Meyers and Stu Lantz.[8] In a March 2008 article in the Los Angeles Times, Simers stated:

"TRIED TO get to the bottom of who came up with the nickname Machine for the Lakers' Sasha Vujacic. Checked with Lakers TV guy, Joel Meyers, who did a lot of hemming and hawing, well, more than usual. He said both he and his partner Stu Lantz came up with it together. Never took them for Siamese twins before. Apparently, neither did Lantz. "I came up with it," Lantz said. "And then Joel ran with it. I used it once, and never again." As for Vujacic, he said Machine is just fine with him, but then Ronny Turiaf interrupted to say Vujacic is also known as Alecsander. "That's my first name," Vujacic said, but he isn't happy with it. But I like it, Alecsander the So-So, and before this season began, it certainly fit."

The controversy over the origin of Vujacic's nickname has been discussed extensively on the internet, by both reporters and fans alike, but it has not been corrected by the national media, and the implication that Vujacic gave himself the nickname paints him as a player who is possibly self-centered or egotistical.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Congratulations !

Great game last night...You got it right Donald (6 games). That had to be the best series by far this post season and yes, The Lakers out shined them and proved to be far superior than the Jazz. One step closer and halfway there to another title.

I will admit this:
If it wasn't for the Lakers , I wouldn't be paying too much attention to the post season...at least not as excited to watch. Now if Hornets can pull off the win on Monday, that would be my "finals" series and I would be happy and satisfied. Here's to a great series if that is to happen.
Oh, by the way, I knew they had it in them even without Gasol...so I was right as well. So to say I "hate" the Lakers isn't a correct statement by some delusional people up in this ****. I don't hate em, I just hate 1 guy in the team...big difference.
In any case, good luck to your team come Wednesday.

Cheers and congrats...Donald, Abomb, Brian in Mesa and The Machine. :thumbup::cheers:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Just got back from fishing and heard the news! I told my nephew, who is a Laker fan, that L.A. would win games 5 & 6. Feels soooo good to be right. :D

It was torture not knowing the outcomes. Just about every headline went through my head at night, "Lakers eliminate Jazz", "Jazz eliminate Lakers", "Jazz force Game 7" etc.

Definitely going to be a good weekend. :fans:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the WCF sche?edule looks like?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the WCF schedule looks like?

Game 1 - Wed May 21 NO/SA at L.A. Lakers 6:00PM
Game 2 - Fri May 23 NO/SA at L.A. Lakers 6:00PM
Game 3 - Sun May 25 L.A. Lakers at NO/SA 5:30PM
Game 4 - Tue May 27 L.A. Lakers at NO/SA 6:00PM
Game 5 * Thu May 29 NO/SA at L.A. Lakers 6:00PM
Game 6 * Sat May 31 L.A. Lakers at NO/SA 5:30PM
Game 7 * Mon June 2 NO/SA at L.A. Lakers 6:00PM

*If Necessary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members