The 2007-08 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
30 Min till tip off. :)

I'm pretty relaxed for this game, while I would LOVE to win it, I kind of expect the Spurs to pull it out tonight. We'll see how it goes, but if the Spurs don't pick it up and get a win tonight, the series is over. A 3-0 lead in the series would be insurmountable. I'm really hoping we could make it happen, but it doesn't seem likely. If we win this game tonight, we could possibly sweep the defending champs, and as much as I want that, I just can't see it happening. Should be an exciting game though.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Disappointing. I thought L.A. would play much better.

Fisher and Odom sure reverted to their Game 1 form. I think Phil will make the needed adjustments and Game 4 will be much closer, like Game 4 was against Utah.

Hopefully, the Lakers will pull the game out this time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What time do the Lakers play tonight?

:sarcasm:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
This is the first time this year I have felt ashamed of this team. That was a purely pathetic effort, they didn't even try to win that game. Defense was pathetic and soft, and they played the entire game like they didn't give a ****. They were up 2-0 and they are in cruise control thinking they have this one in the bag. I don't mind that we lost the game, I expected that, I know it's pretty much impossible to sweep the Spurs. I'm cool with the loss, what I'm not cool with is the way Kobe was the only one that seemed to give a rats ass either way. In the 4th he was trying his best to get us back in, hitting ridiculous 3's from all over the court, but it didn't matter because no one wanted to play any defense tonight.

****ing pathetic and embarrassing. Even though I totally expected a loss, this game pissed me off. It had nothing to do with officials or anything else, it was pure lack of heart tonight. They better knock that crap off or they're going to relax their way into watching the Spurs play in the NBA finals. They let the Spurs get their confidence back, and now they're going to be looking at a 6 or 7 game series most likely. Props to Kobe though, at least he came out and gave a crap. Sasha looked pretty good too, that guy is all hustle and heart no matter the score, but everyone else was just sad.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turrible defense, Manu was on fiyah...they hit a ton of threes and Lamar, Pau and Fish all played this game from LA.

Well, hope we can get the split on Tuesday night.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with his damn ankle. :D

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
This thread has been so quiet lately. :p

Anyway, good first half despite some of the most biased officiating I have ever seen in the 2nd quarter. Man, any ticky-tack thing the Lakers do is a foul, but they can mug the Lakers under the basket, and they let it go. I understand that the home team gets the benefit of the doubt on close calls, it's always like that, that's why teams play for home court, but I thought this first half was a little much.

Anyway, despite it all, they go into the half up by 6. They are showing much more effort and hustle then that horrible game 3 which I still can't even bring myself to discuss. I like the way we're playing, but I also admire the heart the Spurs are showing. They won't die, and they won't go away. This 2nd half is going to be tense to put it mildly.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The only part that sucks about this is that after an entire game of the Spurs getting a ridiculous number of calls, they will blame the refs for their loss. I can already hear it now, they're going to say the refs handed it to LA because of the no call on Fisher. If they watch the play though, Berry was on the ground and went up into fisher who was in the air. That's not a foul, they aren't going to call that unless Fish hits him in the air, or in the act of the shot.

I'm happy with the fact we're up 3-1, but not looking forward to all the crying about the Lakers getting calls when we got screwed the entire rest of the game. That was the worst called game I have ever seen, we should have blown their sorry asses out.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't Duncan get away with a travel and wasn't Ginobli's 3 really a 2?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Didn't Duncan get away with a travel and wasn't Ginobli's 3 really a 2?

Yes and yes.

Odoms 5th foul was also a charge on Duncan.

There were a ton of other calls that went the Spurs way as well. Kobe was fouled at least 6 times that wasn't even called, and anyone that breathed in the general vicinity of Tim Duncan got whistled for a foul. The officiating was so biased for the Spurs the entire game it was ridiculous. And even with all that, they lost at home.

Lakers are clearly better, that's all there is to it. Spurs are too old to hang with LA. I respect the Spurs, I love Popavich, he's pure class, but the fact is that the Spurs simply can't compete with the younger and more athletic Lakers.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Both Barry and Popovich said there shouldn't have been a foul called on that last play. Besides, Fish's shot at the end should have reset the shot clock and the refs blew that call.

The Lakers outplayed the Spurs and never trailed the entire game. They deserved to win.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakes outplayed the Spurs that entire game..start to finish.

I'm still angry at Kobe for that IDIOTIC play going at the rim instead of letting the playclock wind down. Just completely dumb from a very smart player. Shades of Lamar in Arco about 3 years ago. I hope Phil rips some ass in that lockerroom.

As an aside...Phil's first quarter interview was AWESOME. He so hates those.

3 chances to win one game...let's go to the FINALS...LAKES!!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you would think with a stat like that, we would be down 3-1 instead of up 3-1. That's amazing, rest of the team is stepping up big time in this series.

And the scary thing is..they AREN'T!!! Pau has had several meh games...Lamar has been ghost in two games, fish off in others. Machine has been hot and cold both...defense has been atrocious at times, good at others.

It's a damn weird series.

So far though, it's gone down as I said it would earlier.

G1=LW...check...super close I didn't see coming.
G2=LW...check
G3=SW...check
G4=LW in a tight one...check
G5=SW...? Maybe?
G6=LW in a tight one...? Maybe?
G7= Not necessary...Maybe?

Up 3-1 with 3 chances to win one game is nice. The longer this goes, the more it favors the Lakers...but it hurts us in the finals. I'd love to stomp them in Game 5, but that is a road team's favorite game to try to win. I'd like to think that the way this one ended will give Phil the redass to get on the team and get game 5.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, the stats on Fish and Odom will be a little deceptive. They have both been limited in this series due to foul trouble, but have played very well when they were in the game, especially Odom. Lamar tonight for example won't have a stat line that will jump out at you, I think he finished with 14 points, but he was clutch at the end. Without Odom's play in the 4th we lose the game. Everyone has been hot and cold, but with the exception of game 3, they haven't all been cold at once. The problem the Spurs are having is they all go cold at the same time.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem the Spurs are having is they all go cold at the same time.

Yeah, weird, huh?

We shut down Manu again tonight...which we do often (reg season too) but tonight Manu's points came from Barry. If we can shut down Manu AND limit the role players, we can win a blowout if we play like we should.

This series had been odd because neither team has really had a great overall game, other than game 3 where the spurs went off. Even in our 30 point win, Pau was ok. Sub-par game. Even in game 3, only the Spurs main team went off...the Lakers were looking bad.

Neither team has had it clicking on all cylinders for a whole game thus far.

Maybe game 5? Man that would be a battle. Naw...shut down Manu AGAIN!!! :evillaugh:

My San Antone sisters are going to HATE me. I'm in for trouble come the reuinion this summer. :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, the Lakers led or were tied wire to wire again...twice this series. That's the balls right there. We've gone wire to wire a lot this playoffs.

11-3. :eek:

Last edited: