The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found it interesting how voting works for the 2019 All-Stars. The NBA has partnered with Google so if you search for a player that is in the league currently it gives you the option of voting for them at the top of the search results. I don't know how that'll play out but if there are any questionable selections then that should be called into question. I wasn't a fan of last year's with the hashtags but this seems worse. It's way too easy to vote for those who don't deserve it. I'd be curious if a player could get voted in if they're involved with something off the court that catches the media's attention and in turn gets a lot of people searching their name for updates and details.

Here's a list of predicted starters from SBNation and below that is the link to the main ballot on NBA.com but you can vote either way.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/26/18156207/nba-all-star-voting-2019-ballot-starters-how

https://vote.nba.com/#/

Now that there aren't East and West teams they should do away with conference selections altogether. Make it wide open for the best 24 players in the league. I'm not a big fan of how they did away with positions either but at least that evens the board some. There would be some legit snubs because they needed to add X amount of Centers and that made players like Jamal Magloire, Mehmet Okur, or Roy Hibbert All-Stars.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Found it interesting how voting works for the 2019 All-Stars. The NBA has partnered with Google so if you search for a player that is in the league currently it gives you the option of voting for them at the top of the search results. I don't know how that'll play out but if there are any questionable selections then that should be called into question. I wasn't a fan of last year's with the hashtags but this seems worse. It's way too easy to vote for those who don't deserve it. I'd be curious if a player could get voted in if they're involved with something off the court that catches the media's attention and in turn gets a lot of people searching their name for updates and details.

Here's a list of predicted starters from SBNation and below that is the link to the main ballot on NBA.com but you can vote either way.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/26/18156207/nba-all-star-voting-2019-ballot-starters-how

https://vote.nba.com/#/

Now that there aren't East and West teams they should do away with conference selections altogether. Make it wide open for the best 24 players in the league. I'm not a big fan of how they did away with positions either but at least that evens the board some. There would be some legit snubs because they needed to add X amount of Centers and that made players like Jamal Magloire, Mehmet Okur, or Roy Hibbert All-Stars.
Well, I will be typing Devin Booker into google everyday then.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really sick of the media trying to will Anthony Davis to the Lakers. He's under contract until 2020. Also equally annoying are Lakers fans who think they can get Davis without gutting their entire team.

If I'm New Orleans and have to trade him, I do everything in my power to send him elsewhere a la Kahwi Leonard and if I do send him to LA, the conversation starts with Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, and Hart, all of them.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm really sick of the media trying to will Anthony Davis to the Lakers. He's under contract until 2020. Also equally annoying are Lakers fans who think they can get Davis without getting their entire team.

If I'm New Orleans and have to trade him, I do everything in my power to send him elsewhere a la Kahwi Leonard and if I do send him to LA, the conversation starts with Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, and Hart, all of them.

Starting PG, Backup SG, Starting SF, Starting PF. That's actually a nice haul, but Davis is probably worth it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Eager to watch him while Lebron is out.

According to the ESPN box they changed the rebounds to only 9. He did outplay Fox head to head for the first time although Fox nearly had a triple double too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really sick of the media trying to will Anthony Davis to the Lakers. He's under contract until 2020. Also equally annoying are Lakers fans who think they can get Davis without gutting their entire team.

I have a ton of Lakers fans on the UCLA boards I'm on and most of them don't want to trade for Davis for that entire reason. they'd prefer to wait and see if NO will trade him to get something back without losing him for nothing, or in FA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Warriors slide continues. Curry makes a bad pass, great play by Harkless, and Lillard makes a Curry like 3 coming from out of bounds curling around inbounds catch and fire with feet not set to put them ahead. That's 3 losses in the last 5 games and the 2 wins were nailbiters over the Clips and Mavs.

There's definitely something wrong in Oakland beyond just the lineups. At one point last night they were 2-11 on FT's and that included 0-2 by Durant, 1-4 by Klay and 1-3 by Steph, 2-9 by 3 of the best shooters in the entire league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A memo sent from the NBA League office reminding teams of tampering rules.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here a link to the ESPN article and a quote from the article:

"Teams should be aware that the scope of the anti-tampering rule is broad, and its application in any given case is based on all facts and circumstances. Accordingly, conduct that doesn't violate the rule in any single instance may nevertheless constitute a violation if it becomes repeated or part of a broader collection of improper actions."

"Teams should therefore refrain from any conduct -- including public statements -- that could be viewed as targeting or expressing interest in another team's player."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25632354/nba-sends-memo-teams-reminding-anti-tampering-rule

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It should be illegal for a player to have an ownership interest in an agency and partially control the interests of players on other teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Rondo will get surgery in right hand.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Exactly. Boston could put together a much better package. F the Lakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I drives me crazy how ESPN and all the rest of the National sports media think every other NBA team should help the Lakers.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a ton of Lakers fans on the UCLA boards I'm on and most of them don't want to trade for Davis for that entire reason. they'd prefer to wait and see if NO will trade him to get something back without losing him for nothing, or in FA.

LeBron is 34. They don't have the luxury of waiting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Commissioners letter about tampering comes back to bite the Lakers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. Boston could put together a much better package. F the Lakers.

But Boston can't trade for him this year, which is why the Lakers and media are making this push for the Lakers now. It's messed up because the Lakers will be outbid this offseason by Boston but that has to do with why the push for Davis has increased, the Lakers only chance is now. Boston can't have 2 players on contracts that used the "Derrick Rose Rule" that allowed for players to sign for 30% of the cap off of their rookie contracts and Davis and Kyrie both signed extensions with that rule in play so the only way Boston can trade for him now is if they included Kyrie, which isn't happening, but Kyrie will opt out after this season and sign a new deal which is when they'll be ok to make a deal for Davis.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the media had their way the NBA would have 8 teams. Maybe 4.