The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Small market team mentality. Don’ t get mad and complain. Just get better. Everyone want everything handed on a silver platter but when a large market does it everyone calls foul.

The conversation is about tampering. What are you talking about guy.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
The conversation is about tampering. What are you talking about guy.

??? Exactly. Whiners (small market teams) complaining that LeBron is tampering with AD, because he answered a question asked by the media. That’s not tampering, its answering a question. But there have been many media reports that small market teams are complaining about that.
My response was to the tampering charge levied by small market teams

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
??? Exactly. Whiners (small market teams) complaining that LeBron is tampering with AD, because he answered a question asked by the media. That’s not tampering, its answering a question. But there have been many media reports that small market teams are complaining about that.
So what. Large markets already have a built in advantage when it comes to recruiting talent and so of course smaller markets are going to react to what they perceive as tampering. If we want to talk about whether it is tampering or not that is a completely different argument.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What are the built in advantages?
A lot of players want to play for large market teams because they will get better sponsorship opportunities and more national exposure. There is a reason why certain teams tend to be consistently mentioned when a players preferences come out. Typically they want to play in LA or New York over other places and that gives those teams an advantage over small market teams. They can also have an advantage in trades as well because a lot of good players have no trade clauses.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you think the only thing was him answering a question your crazy. AD just signed to Klutch sports the same agency Lebron is the shadow owner of. Seriously?

There is obviously things going on behind the scenes. It's flat out blatant at this point.

You seem pretty intent on making this small market argument though. Your pretty committed I'll give you that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Crazy part about that was that the Mavs were out of time outs, and typically on the last second play, Luka gets a screen and cuts to the other side. This was completely improvised because Doncic saw the defender commit to his left, so he went right because he knew he'd have enough space to get the shot off. This kid is amazing.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That pass tho...was spot on. Right in the chest, in stride with perfect timing. Luka was about 50% done with his shot before he caught the pass. He just needed to go through the shooting stroke.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the Warriors are not nearly as good this year as last year and the aura of invincible is clearly gone. That said do people realize how amazing that win last night over the Clips was? the Clippers for the game were 18-23 from 3 point range, thats' 78%! At one point they were shooting over 75% from 3, and were still down by 7 points. The Warriors won a game where the opponent set a first half NBA record for 3 point %, made nearly 20 threes, and it was a legit win. The Warriors shot 36 FT's, Clips 29, it wasn't one of those refs win the game games. The Warriors shot only 45% overall 35 from 3, but won because they shot 86% from the FT line and had 15 offensive rebounds.

It didn't hurt that the Clips took out Lou Williams after he'd scored I think 13 straight points in the 4th quarter. He had 25 and 9 assists in only 25 minutes, was absolutely unguardable, and yet they tool him out in the middle of that run.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My god why did they pick the knicks to play on Christmas. Awful game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow the Warriors get smoked at home by the Lakers even after LeBron got hurt.

Outscored by 17 points in the 4th.

Bad shooting game as usual when they lose big but this game again illustrated how small the Warriors are this year without Javale and Zaza and with Damian Jones likely out for the year. Bell has had a very poor year so far so it's really Looney and Green at teh 5. That's why Jerebko plays so much, teams are just attacking the Warriors inside with no rim protection.

Obviously if Boogie comes back and is remotely healthy he'll change some of that but they are just not the same. Klay still only shooting 34% from 3, Durant his lowest 3% since 2010. Really interesting to see what Kerr does to change things up.

With this loss they're 15-4 in games all 4 of Durant, Curry, Klay and Draymond have played, but this was a total butt kicking.

Rondo was brilliant tonight for the Lakers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Bad shooting game as usual when they lose big but this game again illustrated how small the Warriors are this year without Javale and Zaza and with Damian Jones likely out for the year. Bell has had a very poor year so far so it's really Looney and Green at teh 5. That's why Jerebko plays so much, teams are just attacking the Warriors inside with no rim protection.

Obviously if Boogie comes back and is remotely healthy he'll change some of that but they are just not the same. Klay still only shooting 34% from 3, Durant his lowest 3% since 2010. Really interesting to see what Kerr does to change things up.

With this loss they're 15-4 in games all 4 of Durant, Curry, Klay and Draymond have played, but this was a total butt kicking.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a Warriors game in December. Yes, they lost and played poorly but we're 1/3 of the way through the season. I think the Warriors had it click for them in the playoffs last year that the regular season doesn't matter that much. It's better to be healthy in the playoffs and rested than winning 73 games. I know that was 2-3 years ago but last year they just steamrolled teams in the playoffs, including Lebron's Cavs. When Cousins starts seeing some playing time everything will change. They'll also start focusing on defense more as the year wears on. They don't need to shut teams down right now. A change I could see them make is giving Curry more freedom, or making him more of "The Man" instead of Durant. KD is great but they need Curry to be clicking to be special.

Errntknght

Reaction score

The star of the game was Ivica Zubac = 9/10 from the field and 11 boarrds. BPM of +25 Why they don't play him has always baffled me... he puts up decent stats when he does play. Maybe he's fragile in some way. This is his 3rd year of twiddling his thumbs on the bench, and his usage is declining.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you're counting on Boogie to fix the Warriors interior defensive issues then you're in more trouble than I thought.

IMO, he is kinda like Carmelo going to the Rockets. A "talent" who does not remotely fit into what has brought the team success. I expect that the Warriors will rebound better with him, score less (because he plays at a slogging pace), defend worse... because he doesn't really care on that end, and increase their technical fouls. And that is if he is healthy. But, even if he is that bad it shouldn't hurt much because Kerr has the clout to bench him.

Anyway, I think the Warriors problems right now are mostly because Durant and Green loathe each other, the whole team knows it and it's depriving of the fun they had in previous years... but I think they will swallow their hate in the playoffs and the Warriors will remain the heavy title favorite that they should be.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Warriors are just going through the motions right now. This team has played a lot of basketball over the last few years.

They've made it to what 4/5 straight finals that's a freaking lot. Kerr should just rest guys and keep em fresh for the playoffs

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're counting on Boogie to fix the Warriors interior defensive issues then you're in more trouble than I thought.

IMO, he is kinda like Carmelo going to the Rockets. A "talent" who does not remotely fit into what has brought the team success. I expect that the Warriors will rebound better with him, score less (because he plays at a slogging pace), defend worse... because he doesn't really care on that end, and increase their technical fouls. And that is if he is healthy. But, even if he is that bad it shouldn't hurt much because Kerr has the clout to bench him.

Anyway, I think the Warriors problems right now are mostly because Durant and Green loathe each other, the whole team knows it and it's depriving of the fun they had in previous years... but I think they will swallow their hate in the playoffs and the Warriors will remain the heavy title favorite that they should be.

Oh I agree Boogie is not a sure thing to help the Warriors. He will change the size some, I agree he's not a good defender, but at times Looney is just literally in over his head with some of the bigs. I don't know what the deal with Bell is but he's just not played well at all so they really don't have a rim protector other than Durant. Zubac just destroyed them at the rim often getting rebounds against 2 or 3 guys on sheer size.

There is definitely a chemistry issue. Gree fouled out for the first time last night and was again a big part of the offensive issues because he couldn't make a shot and was passing up open shots and then a couple of times shot a running floater. When LeBron went down, Rondo took over he realized someone else had to step up and he did, including scoring a bunch. For the Warriors they still have this mentality that 3 guys are going to do all the scoring but there are large chunks of games where 2 or only 1 of those 3 is on the court and it's just too easy to double them. Iggy had his season high last night and actually IMO should have had at least 10 more. He was passing up open 3's the whole game and twice had a point blank layup and instead dribbled the ball out. I get that he's unselfish but there are times where it hurts the team. The court mic was picking up players on the court, especially Rondo and Durant, and you could hear Durant several times screaming at Iggy "shoot that".

It's definitely a lack of size and depth and the team is underperforming this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The star of the game was Ivica Zubac = 9/10 from the field and 11 boarrds. BPM of +25 Why they don't play him has always baffled me... he puts up decent stats when he does play. Maybe he's fragile in some way. This is his 3rd year of twiddling his thumbs on the bench, and his usage is declining.

I saw that as well. Zubac is a player I always wanted for the Suns. He will be a free agent this summer. I've always thought he is capable of being a starter.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
My word, Doncic is on an entirely different level. What a player.

His long-range shooting has slowed down, but he is amazing. Almost got a triple-double last night with only one turnover.
21, 9, and 10, if I remember correctly.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This looks about right to me. I like where Mikal is too. My sneaky player I wanted with our second rounder was Landry Shamet. He is also showing well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like LeBron may miss some games with a groin injury.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05