The Continuing Saga of "Barroids"

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, it's awful convenient that this is happening now. Will be interesting to see just how much weight he loses in the future to "not working out" and how quickly his body breaks.
The a**hole shoulda followed the rules and tried to play cleanly!! He is getting what he deserves, what he has caused, not what the media has caused. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy... :rolleyes:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
UncleChris said:
Now c'mon, gang!!! You surely don't think there could be any connection between a looming criminal indictment and his "injuries," do you? That couldn't happen, could it? Could it????? :rolleyes: :roll: :rolleyes: :D

To anyone who fairly beats Aaron's record, congratulations!!. To any others I say KMA....

I personally hope this gelatinous bag of doots never steps onto a baseball diamond again. Ignorant, arrogant arse.... :thumbdown: :mad: :x :moon:

I believe A-Rod will break Henry's record if he stays healthy.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Now let me just caution - we should let the Baseball Gods handle this, and not pile on too ferociously, or they may decide to crush us again, too.

I think it's BS when Espn and other news outlets mention Creatine and Andro as screwing people up. I wish they would do a little research before saying those things..same with Ephedra ect...

While I pretty much agree, they aren't totally harmless, and when people use them without knowing what they're doing, they can get themselves in trouble. Creatine, which I used regularly during my fitness-nut days (I am now a foodie. LOL) helps muscle energy and recovery, although nothing like steroids, but it also causes tremendous increase in sweating, and that can lead to electrolyte problems, dehydration, muscle cramps, and possibly heartbeat irregularities. My ex used it to work out at the gym, but he had to lay off for several days before a tennis tournament, because it inevitably caused muscle cramps and severe dehydration. There were one or two deaths linked to Creatine, and they were related to the dehydration factor.

If it comes in a pill or a powder or a concentrated form, rather than in food, people really need to learn what it can and can't do before stuffing themselves full of it. That's why kids taking any supplement- even over the counter ones - worries me.

What pisses me off is people- including athletes, media, and congressmen - confusing anabolic steroids with corticosteroids, which are actual medicine.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Now let me just caution - we should let the Baseball Gods handle this, and not pile on too ferociously, or they may decide to crush us again, too.

I think it's BS when Espn and other news outlets mention Creatine and Andro as screwing people up. I wish they would do a little research before saying those things..same with Ephedra ect...

While I pretty much agree, they aren't totally harmless, and when people use them without knowing what they're doing, they can get themselves in trouble. Creatine, which I used regularly during my fitness-nut days (I am now a foodie. LOL) helps muscle energy and recovery, although nothing like steroids, but it also causes tremendous increase in sweating, and that can lead to electrolyte problems, dehydration, muscle cramps, and possibly heartbeat irregularities. My ex used it to work out at the gym, but he had to lay off for several days before a tennis tournament, because it inevitably caused muscle cramps and severe dehydration. There were one or two deaths linked to Creatine, and they were related to the dehydration factor.

If it comes in a pill or a powder or a concentrated form, rather than in food, people really need to learn what it can and can't do before stuffing themselves full of it. That's why kids taking any supplement- even over the counter ones - worries me.

What pisses me off is people- including athletes, media, and congressmen - confusing anabolic steroids with corticosteroids, which are actual medicine.

Well many foods have killed alot more people than Creatine. Like Nuts, orange juice, hamburgers and nuts for instance. Two people? Hundreds of people have died from aspirine and other forms of over the counter drugs. Protein can also cause dehydration along with Pepsi and especially alchohol. Some people have more natural creatine in their bodies than others..also some people get more dehydrated than others. I used to run alot on elyptical machines and I always had to drink throughout my run, unlike, it seemed, the rest of the people around me.

Back to the subject though, what Bonds did is wrong and he deserved to feel miserable. Some players might not make it in the bigs because of guys who took steroids (probably not Bonds though) It's cheating plain and simple and it keeps others from making it.

Also if he cheated on his wife for (9 years!) he should be ashamed. Sometimes I think that deserves a prison sentence. I think he should be locked up for tax evasion and lieing to a grand jury and I hope it's for a long time. Hopefully he'll get a huge fine too. It would be nice if we could force him to lose all of his money and give it to charity.. :)

Djaughe

Reaction score
Just heared on the radio that under the new steroid-testing program, a player on baseball’s disabled list (like a guy rehabilitating a knee injury - is not required to be tested for drug use).

I can't think of a better situation for someone trying to clean out their system...

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Just heared on the radio that under the new steroid-testing program, a player on baseball’s disabled list (like a guy rehabilitating a knee injury - is not required to be tested for drug use).

I can't think of a better situation for someone trying to clean out their system...

Just a coincidence???????? :eek:

Not.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:

The Bonds exception - put in there with him in mind??

Djaughe

Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
The Bonds exception - put in there with him in mind??

*putsonconspiricyhat*

Methinks baseball is seeing the future so they put that clause in there for the steroid players to jump in there. Should prove interesting to see if there is a spike in players on the disabled list before the season starts.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
And the Best actor award goes to... Barry Bonds. Anybody noticed that his son was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
And the Best actor award goes to... Barry Bonds. Anybody noticed that his son was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey?

Yup

And did you know he specifically asked the ESPN cameraman to make sure he got footage of him and his son......

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explain to me the Barry Sanders jersey thing... (i dont get it)

Djaughe

Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Bonds is trying to pull a Sanders by retiring abruptly.

LMAO! Well at least it ain't a michael jordan jersey....

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
*putsonconspiricyhat*

Methinks baseball is seeing the future so they put that clause in there for the steroid players to jump in there. Should prove interesting to see if there is a spike in players on the disabled list before the season starts.

What's really sad/frustrating is that baseball is STILL finding ways to protect these guys. This just shows that all they were doing to congress was blowing smoke up their you know whats. Is anything really going to change? :shrug:
Will be interesting to see how often the rosters really do change.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That took me a few moments. :D

I would love it, if he comes back, that opposing fans hold those things up when he comes to the plate. :cool:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Giants' loss of Bonds is foes' gain

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 24, 2005 12:00 AM

TUCSON - Despite finishing with the worst record by a National League club in nearly 40 years last season, the Diamondbacks liked their chances in the West when they reported to spring training.

Upon learning San Francisco could possibly be without slugger Barry Bonds for part or all of 2005 because of right knee surgery, the division just got a little more comfortable.

"There's going to be a lot of pitchers in our division, including a lot of guys in this room, that will be happy and relieved not to have to face him," said relief pitcher Mike Koplove, who allowed Bonds' 699th homer on Sept. 12. "You're not happy that he's hurt, but you're happy if you don't have to see him."

Bonds hinted Tuesday that his career and his home run pursuit of Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron could be put on indefinite hold after undergoing a second knee operation last week.

"I'm just going to try and rehab myself to get back to, I don't know, hopefully next season, hopefully the middle of the season," he told reporters in Scottsdale.

Arizona players aren't holding their breaths, but if Bonds, 40, puts himself on the shelf, it could alter the dynamics in the West.

"We don't know yet, but from the perspective of an opposing team, he changes the way the game is played," third baseman Troy Glaus said of Bonds, who is 12 homers shy of passing Ruth and 52 behind Aaron's record of 755 home runs. "I mean, you walk him pretty much every time you get a chance.

"It's going to change a lot about how you go about doing things. They've still got some pretty good players over there, but with Barry, you're talking about probably the best player to ever play the game and with him out of there . . . it could make things interesting."

Valverde ailing

Relief pitcher Jose Valverde, who has been wildly inconsistent, will be shut down for at least the next few days to rest an irritated right biceps tendon, which began bothering him Tuesday. Manager Bob Melvin said it isn't anything serious, but Valverde hasn't been the same since 2003, when he recorded 10 saves as a rookie.

Shoulder problems dogged him much of last season, and in September, he underwent surgery to repair a partially torn labrum. Valverde, 0-1 with a 22.50 ERA in four appearances (including eight walks to just two strikeouts) said Wednesday he isn't overly concerned with the arm, but coupled with problems in his mechanics, it has been a hectic spring.

"We're going to give him a couple days (off) and hopefully, it calms down," Melvin said.

Short hops

Left-hander Brad Halsey had a disciplinary appeal hearing Wednesday regarding a three-game suspension. He was penalized for pitching up and in to Boston Red Sox outfielder Dave Roberts Sept. 26 while Halsey was with the New York Yankees. A ruling is expected next week.

� LHP Shane Nance and C Craig Ansman, non-roster players, were reassigned to minor league camp.

� The start time for the April 6 game against the Chicago Cubs at Bank One Ballpark has been moved from 6:40 p.m. to 7:10 p.m., to accommodate ESPN.

� The Cubs' starting pitchers for their opening series against Arizona will be Carlos Zambrano, Greg Maddux and Ryan Dempster. Melvin will counter with right-handers Javier Vazquez, Russ Ortiz and Brandon Webb.

� Friday's 7:05 p.m. game against the Rangers in Surprise will be telecast on FSNAZ.

� The Diamondbacks' 6.49 team ERA entering Wednesday's game was the highest in the majors this spring. The staff had given up the most hits (256) and most walks (87) among NL clubs, but had the second-most strikeouts (134) in the NL behind only the Cubs (136).

� Offensively, Arizona was leading the majors with 245 hits, 13 sacrifice hits and 126 RBIs, but also had left the most men on base (182)

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/special3/articles/0324dbnotes0324.html

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billexium said:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20050323&content_id=974896&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Interesting timing for Barry wanting to suddenly stop working out and become a leaner-type.

He's talking about dropping weight after he retires to take the load off his knees, he has very bad knees and carrying that extra weight is making it worse.

I know someone who's pretty familiar with Ward Farris (ex college basketball player) who was Bonds' trainer before the infamous Anderson who introduced him to Balco and steroids. Ferris says Bonds had chronic knee pain even then and the major "breaking point" between him and Bonds that led to Bonds switching trainers was Farris was telling him he was getting too big and needed to slim down to protect his knees and prolong his career. Barry felt that since he was losing his speed the obvious answer was to get stronger in the upper body so his upper body strength could compensate for his legs.

Had Bonds listened to Farris he'd likely have a lot less problems with his knees now and wouldn't be in all this steroid mess, but he'd have hit less homers too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan