The Continuing Saga of "Barroids"

AZZenny

Reaction score
I agree Chris. No Bonds?! What a load of of cowpies.

There's always a chance this might be a public-relations scam. But if Congress is genuinely motivated to probe the who, what, when, where and why of steroids, the toughest questions will be asked in Washington.

OF COURSE it's a PR deal - how does this have ANYTHING at all to do with national security, economy, environment, education, health care, fuel supplies, taxes, or any of a dozen other legitimate issues for government?

Questions like "Who have you suspected" are pure McCarthy tactics, Schilling is right. No commies to rout? Tired of IRAQ? Hey! Wanna play a quick game of baseball, fellas? This should be fun, let's wade in where we have no business.

Didn't these politicos see "The Aviator?" Oh - maybe that's why they don't want BaBo to attend - he might sit on their circus tent. I'll give him that - he and Schill are probably the two guys who would not be at all intimidated and are as smart or smarter than the congressmen.

The only good thing that might come of it is if they forced Bug Sellout to step down, but since this is all about posturing, that won't happen.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they invite Bonds, they might have to give him some level of immunity. That would inhibit any later investigations or trials involving his lying to a grand jury. Maybe the rest will disclose enough to nail his moldy ass. :eek:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And of course.... one of the primary sabre-rattlers/pot stirers on this issue in D.C. is none other than our very own John McCain. What a turkey!

Whaddaya say, Zen??? Should we turn on the hearings and listen to a little soft shoe music??? Ta da da da... ta-da...ta-dadity-da ta-da.... :D :lmao:

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Bonds - Diamondbacks

After the mid 90s strike the only reason I started watching baseball again was because of

Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, and the Diamondbacks coming to Arizona.

Now personally I dont think there was a person in baseball that didnt know that every power hitter but Ken griffey was more than likely on roids. I could care less if they did or not, I like the game and love to root for the diamondbacks.

You know there are those that say it was the BALL not the roids that caused the HRs. If you dont think so then you better lump Luis Gonzalez who never hit over 32 HRs in a season in his 14 year career suddenly hits 57 ??

Im surprised more people arent pointing at Luis Gonzalez or Brady Anderson of Baltimore Orioles who in 1996 hit 50 HRs and I dont think his 14 yr career he ever hit more than 25 before or after. The funniest thing is they are the only 2 people I can find in current day history to hit over 50 HRs and weigh around 175-185 lbs.

Enjoy baseball and let the bored writers take their negativity home to their wives

Djaughe

Reaction score
Legal question...regarding bonds

Maybe its just me thinking of government/baseball conspricy...but I'm hearing stuff that Bonds is also being investigated for lying to a grand jury, money laundering/tax evasion.

Whats the total judicial penalty bonds could be looking at? :confused:

Also any guesses if bonds could get suspended by baseball if this gets upheld in court?

I just got this weird thought that this is all gonna come crashing down while he's chasing hank's record.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Maybe its just me thinking of government/baseball conspricy...but I'm hearing stuff that Bonds is also being investigated for lying to a grand jury, money laundering/tax evasion.

Whats the total judicial penalty bonds could be looking at? :confused:

Also any guesses if bonds could get suspended by baseball if this gets upheld in court?

I just got this weird thought that this is all gonna come crashing down while he's chasing hank's record.

I am not a legal source, but........... this ongoing investigation seems to be the real reason, he wasn't in the Halls of Congress last week. Yes he is being investigated for lying to a grand jury, tax evasion, dealing in restricted/prohibited drugs. His long time gal pal, Kimberly Bell, just spilled the beans on him about the house he bought for her in Scottsdale and his admiited , to her, steroid use. Seems he told her his elbow surgery was the result of overuse of steroids. His current wife shouldn't be too happy about that one. Seems Barry bought her the house with an $85,000 down payment from undeclared memorobilia sales. After 9 years he decided to stop making mortgage payments when their 9 year affair came apart in 20034.

All of the above will get one , real jail time in a real jail , as they are all felonies. A little difficult to get at bats while in Soledad.

Djaughe

Reaction score
wallyburger said:
I am not a legal source, but........... this ongoing investigation seems to be the real reason, he wasn't in the Halls of Congress last week. Yes he is being investigated for lying to a grand jury, tax evasion, dealing in restricted/prohibited drugs. His long time gal pal, Kimberly Bell, just spilled the beans on him about the house he bought for her in Scottsdale and his admiited , to her, steroid use. Seems he told her his elbow surgery was the result of overuse of steroids. His current wife shouldn't be too happy about that one. Seems Barry bought her the house with an $85,000 down payment from undeclared memorobilia sales. After 9 years he decided to stop making mortgage payments when their 9 year affair came apart in 20034.

All of the above will get one , real jail time in a real jail , as they are all felonies. A little difficult to get at bats while in Soledad.

wow...thanks fer the summary.

I wonder if this will all come crashing down as he gets closer to the record....timing is everything these days.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This ending would be extremely appropriate for this POS.....

He coulda been great.... unenhanced..... but he just got more stupid, instead... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Djaughe

Reaction score
Barry Bonds Updates/Misc.

Interesting...

(03-22) 11:18 PST Scottsdale, Ariz. (AP) --

Leaning his head on a crutch and repeatedly saying he was tired, Barry Bonds said he might miss the entire season following his latest knee surgery.

"Right now I'm just going to try to rehab myself to get back to, I don't know, hopefully next season, hopefully the middle of the season. I don't know. Right now I'm just going to take things slow," he said Tuesday after meeting with San Francisco Giants trainer Stan Conte for 1 1/2 hours.

"I'm 40 years old, not 20, 30."

The seven-time NL MVP, who returned to spring camp Tuesday following last week's surgery, made his remarks while sitting at a picnic table outside the Giants' clubhouse with his 15-year-old son, Nikolai, at his side.

Bonds said he was tired and disappointed following a winter in which he was accused of steroid use, his grand jury testimony was leaked and he had two knee operations. He blamed his troubles on the media.

"You wanted me to jump off a bridge, I finally did," Bonds said. "You finally brought me and my family down. ... So now go pick a different person."

Bonds had his latest surgery last Thursday in the Bay Area. Though the Giants have not set a timetable for his return, Conte has said it's unlikely he'll be ready for opening day.

"My son and I are just going to enjoy our lives. You guys wanted to hurt me bad enough, you finally got me," Bonds said. "I'm mentally drained. I'm tired of my kids crying."

Bonds begins the season third on the career homers list with 703, trailing Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755).

Last September, the Giants dropped a provision that would have allowed them to void Bonds' $18 million salary in 2006 if he failed to reach 500 plate appearances this year or 1,500 combined from 2003 to 2005, including at least 400 this year.

___

Rick Eymer, a stringer for The Associated Press, contributed to this report.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Good...damn lying cheating sack o' s**t!

Hopefully Hammerin' Hank's record stays safe for at least the near future. :thumbup:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bonds will be the most hated player in baseball history....

this gives him such a convenient excuse to come back in 2006 100lbs lighter

"I wasn't on roids. I was hurt. The media sucks. Wha"

Go to hell Bonds.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now c'mon, gang!!! You surely don't think there could be any connection between a looming criminal indictment and his "injuries," do you? That couldn't happen, could it? Could it????? :rolleyes: :roll: :rolleyes: :D

To anyone who fairly beats Aaron's record, congratulations!!. To any others I say KMA....

I personally hope this gelatinous bag of doots never steps onto a baseball diamond again. Ignorant, arrogant arse.... :thumbdown: :mad: :x :moon:

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
ESPN article

Could also be symptomatic of being deprived of "nutrients"

... Hearkening back to McGwire's days. It wasn't long after he stopped taking Andro (which could be obtained legally over any GNC counter and was NOT on baseball's banned list at the time) that he began having more and more nagging knee injuries, which eventually cut down his playing time and effectiveness so much by the end of the 2001 season that he decided it was time to hang up the spikes.

Barry may find that his old body just breaks down too easily if he can't supply it with the "meds"

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
moviegeekjn said:
ESPN article

Could also be symptomatic of being deprived of "nutrients"

... Hearkening back to McGwire's days. It wasn't long after he stopped taking Andro (which could be obtained legally over any GNC counter and was NOT on baseball's banned list at the time) that he began having more and more nagging knee injuries, which eventually cut down his playing time and effectiveness so much by the end of the 2001 season that he decided it was time to hang up the spikes.

Barry may find that his old body just breaks down too easily if he can't supply it with the "meds"

I remember that now, Mac's body seemed to break down really quickly. Hmm....

Djaughe

Reaction score
Cardinal Bob said:
Good...damn lying cheating sack o' s**t!

Hopefully Hammerin' Hank's record stays safe for at least the near future. :thumbup:

and ruths....

Bonds begins the season third on the career homers list with 703, trailing Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755).

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
While Bonds was defiant and confrontational during his first press conference of the spring on Feb. 22, he was despondent Tuesday, using the word "tired" 14 times during his approximate 10-minute session.

Barry sings:

"I'm tired, tired of playing the game. Ain't it a freakin' shame. I'm so...let's face it. Everything below the waist is ka-put."

AZZenny

Reaction score
He sounded really depressed, but then again, took not an iota of responsibility for the decisions he's made that seem to be blowing up in his face - mistress, undeclared income, drugs... Like all that is the media's fault, or that whatever he does, he should be above questions or scrutiny. Friggin' Narcissist!!

I had the exact same thought, moviegeek - tho he might still get away with HGH. They said he simply tried to maintain his extreme workout regimen right through the knee surgeries, and it really backfired. Three knee surgeries in 3 months - that knee must be shot.

Hmm- 'he sounded really depressed' - perhaps like someone coming off roids, or someone suddenly feeling 40 years old.

Djaughe

Reaction score
AZZenny said:
....Hmm- 'he sounded really depressed' - perhaps like someone coming off roids, or someone suddenly feeling 40 years old.

Next he's gonna pull a michael jackson/robert blake and start crying......

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it's BS when Espn and other news outlets mention Creatine and Andro as screwing people up. I wish they would do a little research before saying those things..same with Ephedra ect... they are not like HGH or Steroids. People wouldn't start falling apart after taking Andro..just plain silly. Studies have been done on 1000's of people at major universities like Harvard and nothing has shown those reactions to those supplements to be true...

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some of his lines today are nothing short of "meltdown".

We all knew it was coming eventually. This is the end of Barry Bonds.

How ugly.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look we are not here to talk about the past, only the future.

Oops, I"ve seen the future and it doesn't involve baseball. ;)

Problem with 'roids ( at least one of them ) is the muscle becomes too strong for the joint and

"BAM"

there goes the joint.

Brilliant move by the Giants to drop the plate appearances clause on his contract. $ 18 million for nothing. They deserve each other. :mad:

Djaughe

Reaction score
vince56 said:
....How ugly.

Indeed.
Troubled Bonds behind in count

You must be registered for see images

WE DIDN'T KNOW this would be a four-way race. We knew Barry Bonds was chasing Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron, but now it appears the feds are chasing Bonds.

Don't look back, Barry, they might be gaining on you.

We knew Bonds was at the center of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative probe, but now it appears he is also being investigated for allegedly lying to the grand jury, which adds a new twist to this unfolding story. Factor in a knee injury that could sideline him for the first month of the season, and it's enough to make you wonder if the Giants' last best chance to win a World Series with Bonds has already left the station.

Bonds' former longtime girlfriend, Kimberly Bell, testified before a federal grand jury last week. She has made claims that Bonds told her he used steroids in 1999 and 2000. She said he worried about people noticing the changes the drug made to his body.

That's not what Bonds reportedly told a grand jury in December 2003, when he claimed he had never knowingly used performance enhancing drugs. If he does get caught in a fib he could be in a heap of trouble.

Imagine Bonds smashing career home run No. 715 to pass the immortal Ruth before being handcuffed at home plate. Congratulations, Barry. You're not going to Disneyland. You're going to the federal penitentiary.

Even a lengthy suspension could derail Bonds' pursuit of baseball's Holy Grail. The man is 40, and he's not getting any younger, folks.

Plus, he doesn't seem to be recovering from his knee injury as quickly as he has in the past, which could turn this into a five-way chase with Bonds chasing Ruth and Aaron while the cops and Father Time pursue Bonds.

None of this is good news for the Giants, who have finally surrounded Bonds with the kind of talent that could bring a World Series title to San Francisco for the first time. Not that they can complain. If it turns out Bonds' late-career power surge did result from steroid use, nobody will have benefited more than they did.

His otherworldly production allowed them to surround him with cheaper talent while remaining competitive. It played a role in the building of a new ballpark (SBC Park). His assault on the record books has increased attendance.

The Giants are free to shrug and say they didn't know. They don't even run the risk of prosecution. That falls to Bonds, who could soon become the first big-leaguer to have his jumpsuit displayed in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

It all comes at a time when the Giants seem to have finally conceded that the window of opportunity is closing for a team with Bonds as the featured player. They signed a closer in Armando Benitez and the legitimate run producer fans have been pining for in Moises Alou. They brought in veteran catcher Mike Matheny to work with the deepest pitching staff the team has had in years. And Omar Vizquel may be the best shortstop to play for the Giants in San Francisco.

It was all done with one idea -- to bring the organization its first World Series championship in 51 years. Now here we are, the season hasn't even started, and already it seems as if it might be too late.

The good news is the Giants are better equipped to win without Bonds than they have ever been before. Alou is capable of carrying a team for stretches by himself. Improved pitching and defense should allow the Giants to remain in the National League West race even if Bonds is out with an injury or otherwise disposed.

It appears that bigger people are gunning for him than merely his age-old adversaries in the media, however. His role in the BALCO investigation may have been the reason why he wasn't forced to testify before Congress last week.

Bonds could be in trouble if the mood of lawmakers reflects the mood of prosecutors who could level charges against him. Someone is going to pay, and it's not going to be Mark McGwire, who has long since retired from baseball.

Bonds also could be in trouble if his ex-girlfriend has the financial documents proving he evaded income taxes, as she may well have.

Commissioner Bud Selig and union boss Donald Fehr will be on their best behavior after feeling the wrath of committee members, which may make them less willing to rally to his defense.

Either way, it should make for an interesting home run chase once Bonds recovers from his knee problems. He could end up chasing Ruth while federal agents clad in black suits and sunglasses are tailing him.

He could end up surpassing Aaron while sirens wail in the distance.

Meanwhile, the Giants are finally focused on the here and now.

Unfortunately for them, it may already be too late.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05