The Dbacks offseason thread

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
You really think we could get Gaithright for either Cintron or Hairston??? That would be highway robbery. Hairston is horrible and Cintron is decent at best. The Pierre dream is all but over and I agree with you that Milledge is untouchable. I would trade Cintron for Gaithright although we'd have to sign someone at SS quickly and then may be forced to bring up Drew too quickly. If those CF options don't work I would be all for shipping Glaus to the Angels for Figgins. He can play nearly every position (we'd have him at CF) and is an above average leadoff hitter with great speed. We could move Tracy back to 3rd and Green back to RF and would also free up some money to get some starting pitching. My big question is at catcher. If the report that the Mets are trading for Lo Duca to ship to us I'll be pissed. He's due 13 mill the next two years and isn't very good. We could get Hernandez or Molina for nearly the same price and their both better.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Ladies and Gentlemen:
What about our own minor leagues? JByrnes obviously likes the way they're running things on the Farm, at least from the 'Acquisition' side, which may be a reason he gave an extension, increased responsibilites, and raise to
M Rizzo, et.al
As far as CF goes, If Byrnes can sign JUpton and show him how far he is behind SDrew at SS, one of Baseball America's writers said JUpton had a ceiling like Ken Griffey, Jr. Intriguing!! We had a strong 2004 draft, [upper half] a stronger 2005 draft [SDrew and JUpton go here, says the optimist in me], along with 12-15 strong pitching candidates out of 2/3 of our draft, which were mostly pitchers from 4year colleges.. ?Solid strategy?, we'll see how it works..

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to ESPN news, the Mets have aquired Paul LoDuca in a trade today. All I can say is thank god.... unless they aquired him to ship him to Arizona in a trade for Vasquez

:|

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
While our farm system is very solid and will contribute, we need to make additions through FA and or trades. Should we trade some of our top prospects, prob to def not. I don't see any trades that would call for Byrnes to logically give up one of the big three (maybe Zito but he wont do that). However, we can't wait for 2-3 years for all out prospects to be MLB ready. We have not even signed Upton, which is absolutley embarrasing, and theres no way he will be MLB ready when or if he does sign. Byrnes has made it clear that he wants Drew in the minors for a majority of next season. We can't start the season with 2 of our prospects in the startung rotation. Byrnes is looking at signing players that will fill our voids for 1-2 seasons. At SS, he's looking at Pokey Reese, Rich Aurilia, Damion Easley, Royce Clayton. When Drew comes up, they get phased out. CF is a major question mark. I strongly believe that we should sign either Hernandez or Molina as we def need an upgrade in that area. Lo Duca- No way. We also need to acquire or sign 1-2 SP and a veteran reliever.

1B- Jackson, Clark
2B- Counsell, Drew
SS-Easley, Drew, Cintron
3B- Tracy, Cintron
RF- Green
CF- Figgins, Terrero
LF- Gonzo
C- Hernandez/Molina, Snyder
Pitching- who knows, have to wait for Javy trade. IMO, we should resign Estes and consider Vargas

You all might think I'm crazy, but I would trade Glaus for Figgins. It won't happen but I think Figgins would be great for this team. He's the definition of a utility player and is a very good leadoff hitter with great speed. When Upton is MLB ready, it won't be hard to find him a new position (prob 2nd base as Counsell may not be resigned. Who knows). + I'm almost positive Figgins is very cheap but his contract may be coming up.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
According to ESPN news, the Mets have aquired Paul LoDuca in a trade today. All I can say is thank god.... unless they aquired him to ship him to Arizona in a trade for Vasquez

:|

We better not trade for him:mad:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that Byrnes is stepping in the right direction. I think he is waiting for teams to come to him. That in my opinion is a smart move, as teams will eventually break down and overpay once they get desperate. If Byrd got that deal imagine what the top tier pitchers are going to ask for. Vazquez is better than who is available and quite possibly would come cheaper, salary wise.

As for CF, I think we need someone until Upton signs and is ready, hopefully within 2 years. I haven't seen him play but what about Marland Williams. I know he has speed and defense but I hear his weakness is his K/BB ratio. I think he is trying too hard to be a power hitter and should focus on being a Pierre type hitter and slap the ball into play. I would't mind him for a couple of years, until Upton is ready.

Finally the other trade rumors. I think we need to keep Glaus and trade Green. If we get an offer fro him or Gonzo we should jump on it. Trading Green would open a spot for Quentin in RF, Gonzo's departure would free up a spot for Tracy in LF. If we trade Glaus and Vazquez we need to get pitching, both minor and major league pitching. We already have a good position player system and it is easier to develop position players than pitchers.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a good article on the start of the Winter Meetings. It's by Boston Gammons and you can tell by all the speculation.

DALLAS -- As general managers, agents, club officials, more agents, minor-league operators, job seekers, yet more agents and the media began gathering in the lobby of the Wyndham Anatole by noon Sunday, the first 24 hours were expected to set off a number of chain reactions.

Once A.J. Burnett, the free-agent market's most desirable starting pitcher, and Rafael Furcal, arguably the market's best position player, are officially signed (both deals could be done by Monday), then other players can begin to move. Furcal appears headed to the Dodgers for three years and $39 million, which would put him back on the market in his prime.

Once Burnett is signed, then Scott Boras can begin to position his pitching troika of Kevin Millwood, Jarrod Washburn and Jeff Weaver. Matt Morris can boil down his options. Kenny Rogers and Paul Byrd have two-year deals but are looking for three. The Red Sox can see if there is a greater market for David Wells than the Padres, who can't trade Akinori Otsuka if they don't re-sign Trevor Hoffman. Then Arizona GM Josh Byrnes can move on with Javier Vazquez, the Mets with Kris Benson. If Burnett is a Blue Jay, then they can market Miguel Batista.

Oh yes, and A's GM Billy Beane will sit there and wait for a line to form for Barry Zito, with a requirement of at least two pitchers for entrance to his suite.

"Billy is in a great position," says one AL GM. "He can go for it in 2006 with Zito, or he can sit and wait until he gets what he wants."

"There must be 20 teams looking for starting pitching," says one GM. "So the Pirates, who have one or two they can move for bats, will eventually have a big market. So will the Astros, if they decide to move Brandon Backe for a bat."

Once Furcal has signed, the rest of the shortstop market can move. The Devil Rays can then see what they can get for Julio Lugo, and then everyone named Alex Gonzalez can begin to find out where they will end up.

If Hoffman does not sign with the Indians, then that may open the door for Bob Wickman to return to Cleveland. Todd Jones waits for Hoffman, Tampa Bay waits holding Danys Baez and the Orioles hold Jorge Julio. And what will Hirotoshi Ishii get as a prime left-handed reliever if the Yakult Swallows decide to post him in what has become a curiously veiled story.

CATCHING MARKET
The one position where there may be more available players than buying teams is catcher. The Mets, Astros, Padres, Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Rockies all want catchers. Bengie Molina, Ramon Hernandez and Brad Ausmus are free agents; Paul Lo Duca, Ivan Rodriguez, Johnny Estrada and Toby Hall are available. The Pads had discussed an Adam Eaton deal with Texas for catcher Gerald Laird and first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. If the Mets deal for Lo Duca, that badly weakens the market value of Molina and Hernandez.

THE BOOK ON DAMON
Among leadoff-hitting center fielders, Johnny Damon is the best, but Boras is still arguing for seven years. That isn't going to happen, but Boras' best-selling book about Damon did make a very strong case for the fact that Damon is remarkably durable and reliable. Bill Lajoie, Jed Hoyer and Craig Shipley have made it clear that Boston badly wants Damon back, but Boras needs to see if he can get the Yankees -- who may play at four years and $45M -- or someone else from California or Detroit involved. Kenny Lofton, who had a terrific year (.392 OBP in 110 games for the Phillies) is a free agent, as well.

Available in trades are Darin Erstad, Milton Bradley (Oakland?) and the two most intriguing players, Juan Pierre and Joey Gathright. As of right now, there are eight to 10 teams on Gathright, who, as one baseball official says, "is younger, faster and cheaper" than Pierre. Tampa Bay doesn't have to trade Gathright, but there are enough teams -- like the Dodgers, Rangers and others -- interested because he is a legitimate and cheap way to acquire pitching. OK, Pierre had a rough 2005, but the previous two years he did have a combined .368 on-base percentage, and he is a person of extraordinary energy and character. The Cubs are in, even as they wait on Furcal, and so are the Rangers and Yankees. The latter had been reluctant to move on Pierre because he would bat ninth for them; they want their best five hitters getting the most at-bats. The Yankees have concerns about his arm and defensive routes, but if he were cheap enough ...

OUTFIELD BATS
Now that Brian Giles has returned home, the free-agent market is weak, with Jacque Jones the best man standing, looking for $21M for three years. There are some intriguing, well sought-after names, like Kevin Mench, Trot Nixon, Brad Wilkerson and the Cincinnati crew of Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn (Boston requested medical records) and Wily Mo Pena.

But the big names are Manny Ramirez and Bobby Abreu. They are not going to be swapped for one another, but their names could get linked in multi-team deals. At this point, since Cliff Floyd has Boston on his no-trade list, even the Mets don't seem capable of putting together a package for Manny. They may try to do a multi-team with the Angels if Artie Moreno so directs GM Bill Stoneman, or they can do something with the Rangers, who may eventually spin Alfonso Soriano to the Mets (though $10 million as a fifth-year arbitration case makes Soriano pretty untradeable). Abreu is out there to get pitching. Boston loves him and would consider a deal for Nixon and Matt Clement, but if they trade Clement or Wells, they have to get pitching back.

BATS, PERIOD
Mike Piazza and Frank Thomas are intriguing cases. The Twins and A's are two teams interested in Thomas, and while there are several who have kicked the tires on Piazza, one GM says "he takes so much pride in his catching that he still wants to get behind the plate as much as possible." Carl Everett is still a viable DH/outfielder who brings fire to any team.

Troy Glaus is a major piece with a big contract. Aubrey Huff is very available. So is Sean Casey, who intrigues the Red Sox if they don't get too left-handed dealing Ramirez. The Brewers will trade Lyle Overbay for pitching. The Pirates will move Craig Wilson for a corner bat. The Nationals will discuss Nick Johnson or Wilkerson for the right center fielder or pitching, and GM Jim Bowden does not come to these affairs to stand in the lobby and talk.

INFIELDERS
Hank Blalock was in the Rangers deal for Josh Beckett, but he would cost a lot. Soriano is another story. Bill Mueller (Dodgers, White Sox, Twins) and Nomar Garciaparra (Indians, Pirates, Orioles) will end up playing third base and somewhere, respectively.

Free agents Mark Grudzielanek and Tony Graffanino have quite a bit of interest; both seek two-year contracts. The Cardinals are not supposed to offer Grudzielanek arbitration, which will make him more appealing to the Mets, Red Sox and others who have called, if he doesn't return to St. Louis. Rich Aurilia had a good year in Cincinnati and is a one-year second base option for a team like Boston. Todd Walker can be had. And so can Gold Glove winner Orlando Hudson, but he will cost a corner bat or frontline pitcher for the Jays to move him.

TAKE OUR MONEY, PLEASE
What has been frustrating for the Orioles is their inability to get players to take their money. What should be encouraging to their fans is that Mike Flanagan and Jim Duquette have been aggressive but have not panicked and overpaid in terms of years for pitchers. They will not go to three years on Byrd, for instance, or two years at $6 million for Todd Jones.

What adds to the Orioles' frustration is that the AL East landscape is so different now because Toronto is closing ground on the Yankees and Red Sox. And now that Tampa Bay is under new management, the Devil Rays are pointed in the right direction. The team that was fifth in the league in runs scored last season will be extremely dangerous in just two years.

The Blue Jays have already added closer B.J. Ryan, and if they can get Burnett and another bat, they will be a threat to the Yanks and Red Sox next season. More important, they are close to re-establishing the franchise as a major power. When GM J.P. Ricciardi took over with owner Paul Godfrey, the club had $71 million in debt; now there is none. They had to build with $50 million payrolls to do so. Remember when the Jays were world champions in 1992 and 1993, they had the highest payroll in the game, at, yes, $50 million. But now they'll go up to $75 million. Canada's economy, which had tumbled, is on the rise.

Then look at the new Rays with Andrew Friedman, Gerry Hunsicker and Joe Maddon, arguably the best managerial hire of the offseason. They have Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli, with B.J. Upton and Delmon Young coming. So they can trade Huff, Hall, Gathright, Lugo, Baez and others only if they get back appropriate young players, especially pitchers. It is tricky because they have to be careful about trying to build -- or rebuild -- their minimal fan base. But they know what it takes to be very good in two years.

For instance, they don't want to trade Lugo, who is a very good player. But if they can get good 2007 value, they'll sign a temp to play shortstop until Upton is ready. Friedman realizes that Upton has not been developed well and that the kid's greatest value is as a shortstop, so they will leave him there, let him open the season in Triple-A and continue to have Ozzie Smith work with him. Not only that, but they hired Jimy Williams, one of the best infield teachers on the planet.

They may make some mistakes, but this appears to be a good time to be a Tampa Bay fan. And if baseball realigned financially and put the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Phillies and Orioles in one division and the Braves, Nationals, Blue Jays, Devil Rays and Marlins in another, we'd be looking at a whole different view of optimism in Toronto and Tampa.

RESTORING DODGER LUSTRE
Look for new Dodgers GM Ned Colletti to build that club around Jeff Kent and Eric Gagne. Colletti has never forgotten how Kent left his blood and soul on the field throughout his career. That might mean Kent could end up at first base sometime if L.A. gets Furcal and Cesar Izturis moves to second when and if he comes back from Tommy John surgery, but at this point, Kent is very close to a Hall of Famer. Not to mention one of the most misrepresented players of his time. Colletti is expected to take on the White Sox and Twins as a major player for Mueller. Needless to say, the Dodgers were very disappointed to lose out on Giles, but no one in L.A. would begrudge a man for being close to his two daughters.

DEALIN' D-BACKS
The White Sox said they were interested in Vazquez, but the Diamondbacks wanted to tie Glaus to him. Baltimore had interest in Glaus, but Arizona continues to ask for Eric Bedard, whom the O's feel is a future No. 1 starter. Two GMs on Saturday insisted Arizona's acquisition of Lo Duca from the Marlins is essentially done.

SIGNIFICANT OTHER
One reason the Mets are eager to move Benson is Anna Benson's potential Playboy spread that could hit in spring training. "Between that and her radio show," says a GM, "the Mets just want her out of town." Somehow Anna Benson and annabenson.net doesn't play in some middle-America markets.

GM BY COMMITTEE
Boston has a 26-person contingent arriving in Dallas. Larry Lucchino will continue his GM search, which to his credit has played out to ensure the best choice, not to expedience or he who leaks the most to the parent Boston Globe. There have been some comical suggestions, but Hoyer is older than Epstein when Theo got the job, more experienced and has been Epstein's right-hand man for his tenure as Boston GM. He also understands the requirements of owner John Henry, who is a great boss and not going to allow the franchise to drift to mediocrity.

TWIN KILLING
One AL GM felt the Marlins did very well getting Travis Bowyer for Luis Castillo, whose speed (stealing 10-of-17 attempts is unacceptable) and offensive skills have declined. Bowyer can be a big-league closer with better command. They know what they're doing. GOT VORP?
The Baseball Prospectus VORP ratings of starting pitchers are very accurate ranking performance. For instance, Roger Clemens, Johan Santana, Andy Pettitte, Chris Carpenter, Dontrelle Willis and Pedro Martinez were the top six in 2005. Of the free agents, Millwood was 13th statistically in '05, Washburn 18th and Esteban Loaiza 24th, one place in front of Zito and five in front of Tim Hudson. Burnett did not make the top 30.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Two GMs on Saturday insisted Arizona's acquisition of Lo Duca from the Marlins is essentially done.

Yeah except he's a Met now

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Who knows if Byrnes is even calling the shots on the major league level? Trading for a guy like Lo Duca with his salary seems to go against the line of front office thought that Byrnes has been a part of during his major league tenure. There were quite a few rumors going around that Moorad was simply looking for a GM to run the farm system while he and Matt Williams made the big league decisions. Thi offseason is going to tell me a lot about who is in fact making the personnel decisions for this organization.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I want Ichiro, as long as we're fantasizing.

What the heck - he was CF in Japan, and he has taken the remarkable step of mildly criticizing the Mariners losing ways in Japan recently - very moderate comments by our standards, but in Japan it came across sort of like a Milton Bradley rant.

The initial question was who I would pursue for a long-term solution in CF for the Dbacks which doesnt mean that any reality would apply whatsoever! :D

devilfan02 said:
You really think we could get Gaithright for either Cintron or Hairston???

I honestly believe it would take more for the Dbacks to acquire Gathright, however, the Devil Rays arent willing to take on another high contract and are pretty deep in the OF...they essentially need another power bat to their line-up, so Cintron would definitely fit the bill in that regard (he could be more of a HR hitter if placed at a lower spot in the line-up and would be perfect to be their DH).... True, the Dbacks might have to package in a mid-tier pitching prospect.....

I read today where the Dodgers might trade Milton Bradley in exchange for Zito... I wonder if that would have any implications of any trade involving Vazquez?

This following "blurb" intriges me:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05339/617493.stm

Littlefield has been in touch with the Rangers about Blalock, but he has emphatically refused to part with starter Oliver Perez to consummate a deal.

There also is Arizona's Troy Glaus, another slugger at third base who is 29. The Diamondbacks are willing to move him and his contract that will cost $34 million over the next three years, but they also want any trading partner to assume the contract of outfielder Luis Gonzalez, due $11.5 million next season.

Of course their prize player is Perez since he's a left-handed flame-thrower with so much upside. however. the Pirates still have a fairly deep farm-system, so that's one organization that the Dbacks must tap into....

If the Dbacks did indeed trade Cintron, they could still sign Aurilia or Easley to a 1-yr contract to play SS or perhaps sign Grudzielanek to a relatively cheap to be their 2B and exclusively use Counsell at SS.....

On the matter of Upton...First, he obviously isnt signed yet, so cannot whatsoever base anything on something that isnt yet definite... Also, I still envision him playing 2B and forming a long-term DP combo with Drew ala Trammell/Whittaker or Sandberg/Duston...ect......

It appears that the Zito trade would happen before any Vazquez deal (which would determine moreso the fair-market value for Vazquez) and then any other Dbacks FA signings would be contingent on their future trades...

Also, I read where the Dbacks have begun long-term contract discussions with Tracy which is gratifying since he epitomizes what a ML calibre hitter must be and perhaps suggests that Glaus is practically gone since what other positions would Tracy play on a long-term basis? 1B? Dont think so......

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I read that the Rays outfield is loaded and they are looking to move Huff and Gathright. I would trade Cintron for Gathright in a heartbeat- Cintrons future here is short. An MLB exec was quoted as saying that Gathright is a improved version of Pierre with more "pop, speed, and a better arm." Sounds good to me....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Hot commodity
Dec 1 - Interest in outfielder Joey Gathright remains high entering the winter meetings, reports ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick. The Cubs, Marlins and Dodgers have emerged as the best fits among the teams on Tampa Bay's list of potential trade partners.

The Devil Rays are looking for young pitching in return, and the Cubs (Sergio Mitre, Rich Hill) and Marlins (Scott Olsen, Jason Vargas, Josh Johnson) have names that appeal to Tampa Bay. The Dodgers are loaded with both pitchers and talented position players at the upper level of the minors. Gathright is still raw and lacking in plate discipline at age 24. But teams are intrigued by his blazing speed, and some scouts think he has a chance to evolve into an effective leadoff hitter with time.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
KLL said:
That's an excellent question:

I'm impressed w/Gathright and he could possibly be had for someone like Cintron or Hairston..... He posseses some solid plate-discipline, is an above-average OF, and of course that explosive speed would do the Dbacks wonders...

I'd say, now that Pierre is probably out of Arizona's range, Gaithright and Figgins would be 1 and 1A on my Christmas Wish List for the Diamondbacks. Gaithright, home plate to home plate, was clocked as the fastest man in baseball, and I really could see him hitting .300 and stealing 70 a year. He's not a power hitter by any means, but with the potential bombers that are already on the roster, he doesn't need to be. The steals per year would more than make up for the lack of power.

If Tampa Bay wasn't so damned stocked with young OF, there's no way in hell they'd trade Gaithright. However, being they are (stocked), they may as well get something decent in return..

I think Hairston (who I STILL see good things out of) Andy Green (they need a 3B, Green could fill that hole) and perhaps a reliever (Pena, Bruney?) would be fair value for him.

I still would be impressed w/Juan Pierre, however, that would cost the Dbacks at least one of their uber prospects..which wouldnt be all too worthwhile...

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that when Pierre is dealt, it won't be to Arizona. I was the leader of that bandwagon (or co-leader with DevilFan02) however, each day it's looking less likely. I see him ultimately going to the Cubs, who would be more willing to give one of their top prospects away than the Diamondbacks).

One of my previous posts linking Corey Patterson to the Dbacks frightens me... Avoid him like the plague... He's another one of those "5-tool" players who constantly pulls off the ball and has the worst BB/K ratios possible...

I think Patterson's biggest problem is his shattered confidence. He has that potential, and has shown it at times (He had a hell of a season in 2004) however, unless it was a straight up swap for someone like Terrerro, I'd rather not. Then again, the Cubs seem to be ready to wash their hands of him, so he might come cheap. If all else fails, he might be an ok fall back option.

Perhaps they could acquire someone like a Juan Encarnacion and put him in RF and Shawn Green in CF.... Although, he's someone else who is injury-prone and never lived-up to his full potential....

Encarnacion reminds me of Cliff Floyd in the sense that he's so damned streaky and injury prone. He's another who might come on the cheap, but I'm not too high on that option. Could do worse, but could do better.

I've loved the Marlins prospects, but they'd never be willing to give-up either Eric Reed or Jeremy Hermida....

Nah, your right on that one. I think it'd take far more than Arizona's probably willing to offer to get either of those two away.

Milledge is definitely an untouchable and I dont foresee the Mets parting w/him any time soon....

Never say never with the Mets my friend. Omar Minaya's never been one to sit on his hands if he feels it means better immediate improvement. Look at some of the moves they've made this post-season alone, trading two of their top pitching prospects, and a few other guys with high ceilings for two 30+ year olds. Vazquez is still young enough. When the chips are on the table, we'll just have to wait and see.

If the Dbacks traded Vazquez to the Tigers, they could obtain Craig Monroe (who is mainly a LF) that has some power, but lacks the necessary speed....Ideally, though..Nook Logan would be the best player the Tigers might be willing to give-up and he could really solidify CF for the Dbacks...

While here in PA, I got to see a few Altoona Curve (AA-- Pirates) games, including several against Erie. I can tell you this, from my own analysis.. Nook Logan is going to be a hell of a Major Leaguer. He's another of the Pierre-Gaithright mold, but he has slightly more power. With Curtis Granderson (sic) blocking his path, Logan could be expendable, and if Arizona could pick him up, it'd be a coup.

I'm also impressed w/the Mariners OF prospects, however, the Dbacks would have to work-out a 3-way trade involving Vazquez to pry one of them off their hands....that would include Shin Soo-Choo, Jamal Strong, or Chris Snelling....

Didn't Strong get suspended for steroid use?

Anyhow, thanks for the response and good answers.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Gammons just reported on Sportscenter that the Blue Jays are on the verge of signing Burnett to around a 50 mill dollar deal. I missed how many years the contract calls for. That means they put 100 mill into two pitchers- IMO, average to slightly above avg pitchers. Snake, I'll co-captain the Figgins or Gathright in CF bandwagon with ya! I would love to get Figgins (although it would mean giving up Glaus which I think I'm for) and it seems that we can get Gathright with relative ease. The only problem with Gathright is that he is getting a lot of attention from other teams. Pierre is long gone. 12 teams are interested in him and ESPN said we're not one of them. The front runner for Pierre was the Cubs (who just lost out on their beloved leadoff man Furcal) until the Marlins demanded their top pitching prospect Felix Pie. The Cubs said no way. Looks like the Marlins are demanding the most for Pierre (out of Delgado, Beckett....) because he is farily cheap and leadoff hitting CF's are in very high demand this offseason.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Gammons just reported on Sportscenter that the Blue Jays are on the verge of signing Burnett to around a 50 mill dollar deal. I missed how many years the contract calls for. That means they put 100 mill into two pitchers- IMO, average to slightly above avg pitchers. Snake, I'll co-captain the Figgins or Gathright in CF bandwagon with ya! I would love to get Figgins (although it would mean giving up Glaus which I think I'm for) and it seems that we can get Gathright with relative ease. The only problem with Gathright is that he is getting a lot of attention from other teams. Pierre is long gone. 12 teams are interested in him and ESPN said we're not one of them. The front runner for Pierre was the Cubs (who just lost out on their beloved leadoff man Furcal) until the Marlins demanded their top pitching prospect Felix Pie. The Cubs said no way. Looks like the Marlins are demanding the most for Pierre (out of Delgado, Beckett....) because he is farily cheap and leadoff hitting CF's are in very high demand this offseason.

The agent for free-agent pitcher A.J. Burnett is closing in on a five-year, $55 million deal for his client with the Toronto Blue Jays, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reports.

Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, spent much of Monday meeting with Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi. A source told Crasnick that a deal has not been finalized, but could be struck as early as Monday night.

Burnett's agents still have to meet with Blue Jays management. One other team, believed to be the St. Louis Cardinals, could make a last-ditch effort to sign the former pitcher for the Florida Marlins. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported on Sunday that the Cardinals were waiting to see if Burnett -- who grew up a Cardinals fan -- will decide to accept the team's four-year offer worth around $40 million.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Snake said:
Thanks :)I'd say, now that Pierre is probably out of Arizona's range, Gaithright and Figgins would be 1 and 1A on my Christmas Wish List for the Diamondbacks.
Figgins is going to cost way more than Pierre. He can play more positions, is coming off a better season, and is much cheaper.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Figgins is going to cost way more than Pierre. He can play more positions, is coming off a better season, and is much cheaper.

It'll cost us Glaus. I'm fine with it. We need a guy like Figgins and it would also free up some money for pitching

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
It'll cost us Glaus. I'm fine with it. We need a guy like Figgins and it would also free up some money for pitching
I'm thinking the Angels may make us take Finley or pony up some cash to take on all of Glaus' contract. The Angels organization is very high on Figgins and as we saw last offseason are pretty apathetic towards Troy Glaus.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I'm thinking the Angels may make us take Finley or pony up some cash to take on all of Glaus' contract. The Angels organization is very high on Figgins and as we saw last offseason are pretty apathetic towards Troy Glaus.

True, but their inquiring about Glaus cause their looking to trade Mcpherson. If they can get Manny from Boston they would ship Mcpherson and others. They are really hurting at 3B with or without Mcpherson and may have realized how valuable Glaus was to them.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
True, but their inquiring about Glaus cause their looking to trade Mcpherson. If they can get Manny from Boston they would ship Mcpherson and others. They are really hurting at 3B with or without Mcpherson and may have realized how valuable Glaus was to them.

Could you imagine 3-4-5 battery of:

Vlad
Manny
Glaus

That would be pretty devistating. :eek:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Could you imagine 3-4-5 battery of:

Vlad
Manny
Glaus

That would be pretty devistating. :eek:

Manny in back of Vlad might be a better combo than Last Year in Boston. Guerreros numbers might be record breaking......

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Would the Dbacks have interest in ASoriano,or is he way out of our league price wise, like RJ was... :thumbup:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
CronosCard said:
Would the Dbacks have interest in ASoriano,or is he way out of our league price wise, like RJ was... :thumbup:

Probably out of our price range. Plus, with Javy listing Texas as one of the teams he wouldn't accept a trade to, and them having no need for Glaus, I doubt it would be a fit.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05