The Dbacks offseason thread

Kolo

Reaction score
Gammons reports on ESPN Insider that we agreed to swap Javier Vasquez to the Tigers for center fielder Curtis Granderson and pitcher Joel Zumaya, and Vasquez nixed the deal.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
Gammons reports on ESPN Insider that we agreed to swap Javier Vasquez to the Tigers for center fielder Curtis Granderson and pitcher Joel Zumaya, and Vasquez nixed the deal.
Why would the Dbacks even bother talking to the Tigers in the first place? They know Detroit is one of the six teams on Vazquez's no trade list.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Estrada is on the block??? I would love him but the Braves would demand a lot. I still think signing Hernandez is the right move, even before Lo Duca got traded. I have a good friend who lives just outside NYC and is a huge Mets fan. I talked to him last night and he said that the Mets trading for Lo Duca was Minayas way of saying f you to both Molina and Hernandez. Minaya was fine with taking on more money and a less capable catcher in order to ruin the market value of Molina and Hernandez. I guess they both sat on their proposals and never countered once. He also said that Milledge is untouchable and will be in the bigs at some point next season (according to NY media). You can take that for what it's worth as he's just another fan, no different than us. However, he does seem to know his baseball very well. Since Hernandez' value went down, what do you think we could get him for (Mets offered 3 year, 21 mill). BTW, are any of you worried that the Padres are not trying to sign him at all (or is it simply biz)??

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Why would the Dbacks even bother talking to the Tigers in the first place? They know Detroit is one of the six teams on Vazquez's no trade list.

Boston "Speculation" Gammons reports on SO MANY false trade rumors, he's known for it. It's ok to do here and there but he does it all the time. God that guys annoying

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Manny suitors
Dec 6 - According to The Boston Globe, there is substance to the rumor that the Red Sox are working on a three-way deal with the Diamondbacks and Angels.

The Angels would get Ramirez, the D-Backs would get prospects from the Angels and the Red Sox would receive a package of players that includes third baseman Troy Glaus.

Red Sox officials, The Globe reports, met with at least eight teams on Monday. The Mets, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports, continue to talk to the Red Sox about Ramirez, and they're asking them to take second baseman Kaz Matsui in the deal along with Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman and other prospects.

Oh boy...... Would you guys be for the deal if we simply got prospects for Glaus???? If we didn't have to pay any of his contract I might be. I said yesterday that the Angels were looking to move Mcpherson-maybe to us??? I would still love to get Figgins from the Angles if we're dealing Glaus....

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Manny suitors
Dec 6 - According to The Boston Globe, there is substance to the rumor that the Red Sox are working on a three-way deal with the Diamondbacks and Angels.

The Angels would get Ramirez, the D-Backs would get prospects from the Angels and the Red Sox would receive a package of players that includes third baseman Troy Glaus.

Red Sox officials, The Globe reports, met with at least eight teams on Monday. The Mets, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports, continue to talk to the Red Sox about Ramirez, and they're asking them to take second baseman Kaz Matsui in the deal along with Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman and other prospects.

Oh boy...... Would you guys be for the deal if we simply got prospects for Glaus???? If we didn't have to pay any of his contract I might be. I said yesterday that the Angels were looking to move Mcpherson-maybe to us??? I would still love to get Figgins from the Angles if we're dealing Glaus....

I wouldn't be surprised if the DBacks would try to package some of these prospects in a package for a starting pitcher once Vasquez is dealt. *Cough* Zito *Cough*.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Braves, Dbacks, and Tampa discussed a three way trade involving Estrada coming to the desert, Lugo to Atlanta, and "young pitching" going from Arizona to TB.

http://www.nj.com/mets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1133849263159860.xml&coll=1

I would imagine we would only do this trade if we knew that we were going to pull the trigger on another deal in which we got back some pitching prospects in return. Who knows, there are so many rumors flying around I don't know what to think.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Braves, Dbacks, and Tampa discussed a three way trade involving Estrada coming to the desert, Lugo to Atlanta, and "young pitching" going from Arizona to TB.

http://www.nj.com/mets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1133849263159860.xml&coll=1

I would like to see Estrada here. When healthy, he's a very good offensive catcher. He's a switch hitter who is a great contact hitter with decent speed (led the braves with 36 doubles last year). Defensively he is ok. He's known as a good game caller but his downfall is his inaccurate arm. He only made $450,000 last year :thumbup: He'd be great here

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
From the republic:
The Mets and Cleveland Indians are believed to be among teams expressing strong interest in Vazquez

Thats the first time I heard that the Indians were interested. Must be because their gonna lose out on Millwood. Any idea who we'd get from them???

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Thats the first time I heard that the Indians were interested. Must be because their gonna lose out on Millwood. Any idea who we'd get from them???
From Cleveland Plains Dealer

The Diamondbacks, in need of a center fielder, want Coco Crisp. The Indians aren't willing to part with Crisp, who is productive and affordable even though he's eligible for arbitration next month. Arizona is also reluctant to absorb any of Vazquez's salary.

After hearing about Vazquez nixing the Granderson deal and the Tribe saying no to Coco Crisp, it's pretty obvious we're looking hard at CF. That leads me to believe we already have a deal in place for one of Glaus, Gonzo, Green, or Tracy. I'm disappointed Javy said no to Detroit. Granderson is intrigiung although his high strikeout totals concern me while Zumaya supposedly has an electric arm albeit with a few too many walks.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
From the republic:
The Mets and Cleveland Indians are believed to be among teams expressing strong interest in Vazquez

I was about to respond w/Coco Crisp...In fact, that notion was confirmed in this following link, however, it appears less likely now since the Indians have signed Paul Byrd to that 2-yr $17 mil contract:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=54701

The D-Backs lost a potential trading partner when Cleveland signed free agent Paul Byrd, effectively ending talks in which the D-Backs would have attempted to acquire outfielder Coco Crisp.

"That closed the door,’’ Byrnes said.

The following also stands-out:

Byrnes said the D-Backs do not have to move Vazquez before making a deal to fill their other needs, and the D-Backs were mentioned in a rumor making the rounds after Atlanta lost free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Atlanta was said to be seeking Tampa Bay shortstop Julio Lugo, with the Braves sending catcher Johnny Estrada to the D-Backs in a three-way deal. The D-Backs would move young pitching — one scout mentioned Dustin Nippert and/or Brandon Medders as possibilities — to Tampa Bay.

I wonder if the Braves would be interested in either Cintron, Jerry Gil, or Sergio Santos to occupy their need for a SS to replace Furcal....

I also read where the Orioles have express an interest in both Vazquez and Glaus, but I'm unaware on who would be worthwhile from them to get in return... Of course.... everyone would clamor at Luis Matos, Adam Loewen, or Hayden Penn, however, I dont foresee the Orioles willing to give any of them out... Although, Cabrera and Jorge Julio could be included in some package...

It's a foregone conclusion that Glaus wont be returning to the Dbacks since the organization have been questioning his work ethic along with the fact that they have begun extensive discussion in giving Tracy a long-term deal....
It's the best case scenario to just get prospects in return for Glaus since they would obviously rid of his hefty contract and then could use some of those prospects in future trades.... I also hope the same happens to Gonzo because then the Dbacks would be in position in acquire some front-line pitching to complement Brandon Webb, Russ Ortiz, Claudio Vargas, and Brad Halsey in the rotation....

Has anyone heard of the recent status of Robbie Hammock? I seem to recall that he had since fully recovered from his surgery and was poised to attempt a comeback... I wonder if he could be used as a spot-catcher (since he had some excellent offensive potential) along with playing some RF/LF/1B..... He alone could probably save the Dbacks 1-2 spots for a position player while freeing-up a spot for pitcher in the process...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
KLL said:
I wonder if the Braves would be interested in either Cintron, Jerry Gil, or Sergio Santos to occupy their need for a SS to replace Furcal....
I think they're looking for someone who can actually hit the ball to replace Raffy.:D

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I think they're looking for someone who can actually hit the ball to replace Raffy.:D

I figured someone would respond with that! :D

I must admit that I have been desperate for the Dbacks to trade Cintron for over the past cpl years (and have mentioned that quite a bit in this forum), so I guess I tend to include him in nearly every possible transaction....

Although, I'll just say that some of his offensive woes has been that such as what Brenly (even Pedrique did in '04 and Melvin did to a certain extent last season) did with several of the Dbacks hitters would be how they would generally get mixed-up because they were constantly bounced around in the order... Cintron would either be #2 or #6 in the line-up and anything lower than 5th is ideal for him since he's a dead-pull hitter... He doesnt have the spraying mentality to bat #2 and perhaps a change of scenery and a manager that knows how to use him properly could be quite a boon.. He's still young (but of course he doesnt have too much upside), but he still can generate around 20 HRs for a team... Let's take for example Lugo.....Lugo is a few years older than Cintron and has a very high contract...The major advantage that Lugo has over Cintron is speed... True, Lugo is a better over-all hitter, but the Braves would definitely benefit from Cintron's power.... Although.. the question is defensively of course.....

Santos does have major upside and is rather blocked in the Dbacks organization and Gil could be an intriguing throw-in type player to help facilitate/solidfy some trade package... Also, Chris Carter or Phil Avlas fit that role as well since both of those wouldnt advance much farther in w/the Dbacks....

This would be the best offseason ever if the Dbacks did manage to trade both Gonzo and Glaus so they could free-up spots for Tracy to become the every 3B and perhaps Quentin in LF along with giving the Dbacks more flexibility with their $65 mil budget to add some quality starters into the mix....

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
First, I'm not at all a fan of the rumored three way deal. Arizona needs all the young pitching they can get, and trading Medders or Nippert would be moving backward from that need. Catching isn't as much of a dire need IMHO. Also, doesn't Estrada have a bad back?

Im banging my head over Javy vetoing that Detroit deal. Granderson is going to be a top flight CF, and Zumaya throws pure gas. That would have been a solid, solid deal for Arizona.

The Glaus-Manny-Prospects deal, I'd feel much better after I found out what the prospect list was. A package involving Aybar wouldn't be too bad. I'd also be happy with just Figgins and a prospect.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Snake said:
First, I'm not at all a fan of the rumored three way deal. Arizona needs all the young pitching they can get, and trading Medders or Nippert would be moving backward from that need. Catching isn't as much of a dire need IMHO. Also, doesn't Estrada have a bad back?

Im banging my head over Javy vetoing that Detroit deal. Granderson is going to be a top flight CF, and Zumaya throws pure gas. That would have been a solid, solid deal for Arizona.

The Glaus-Manny-Prospects deal, I'd feel much better after I found out what the prospect list was. A package involving Aybar wouldn't be too bad. I'd also be happy with just Figgins and a prospect.
I agree. I also don't think our new GM will trade away young low priced pitching in order to get a high priced veteran. Well see if I am wrong, soon! :thud:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I agree. I also don't think our new GM will trade away young low priced pitching in order to get a high priced veteran. Well see if I am wrong, soon! :thud:

Estrada is both young and cheap.....before his injuries last year i think he was on his way to a batting title and he was a highly thought of prospect....

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Estrada is both young and cheap.....before his injuries last year i think he was on his way to a batting title and he was a highly thought of prospect....

Estrada's going to be 30 next season, but he is relatively cheap (400 K per year).

Either way, I still would rather NOT trade Nippert and Medders, unless some kind of young pitching comes back in the deal. Truthfully, I'd rather go in to Spring Training with Snyder and a cheap alternative (Paul Bako/Todd Pratt) backing him up if our alternative is trading away some of our up-and-comers.

Now, mention Gaithright's coming to town as part of that deal, and I might be a tad bit more optimistic. For just Estrada? No thanks.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Snake said:
Estrada's going to be 30 next season, but he is relatively cheap (400 K per year).

Either way, I still would rather NOT trade Nippert and Medders, unless some kind of young pitching comes back in the deal. Truthfully, I'd rather go in to Spring Training with Snyder and a cheap alternative (Paul Bako/Todd Pratt) backing him up if our alternative is trading away some of our up-and-comers.

Now, mention Gaithright's coming to town as part of that deal, and I might be a tad bit more optimistic. For just Estrada? No thanks.

Wow...then he was in the minors for quite some time as he only came up a couple years ago after being traded from Philly for Milwood....

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Wow...then he was in the minors for quite some time as he only came up a couple years ago after being traded from Philly for Milwood....

He spent a fair amount of time in the minors, blocked by Mike Leiberthal.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am going to say it again but if your going to trade Vazquez get pitching prospects for him. Hernandez or Molina would fill our void at C, trade for stop gap CF Kenny Lofton until Upton is ready whenever that is, go after Luis Matos, play Quentin in CF, or we put Drew at CF so we can bring him up. Bob Howry would be a nice addition to the bullpen along with Bob Wickman. We need to stock our AA and AAA teams with arms that are close to the major leagues and Vazquez and Glaus are the only two pieces that can make that happen.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Well, suffice to say the Winter Meetings are hopping with action.

Three trades have gone down, or are on the verge of completion.

-- Pittsburgh has acquired 1B/Pittsburgh native Sean Casey from Cincinnati in exchange for SP Dave Williams. Although it's mildly refreshing to see Kevin McClatchey finally open up the wallet, the Pirates were set at 1B next season with Brad Eldred. Yet again, they ignore their biggest need, 3B.

-- San Diego and Tampa Bay have swapped disappointing prospects as the D-Rays acquire 3B Sean Burroughs from the Padres in exchange for SP Dewon Brazelton. Perhaps the change of scenery will do both some good, but time will only tell.

-- The Mets continue to light the wires. This time however, they appear to be sellers as they're on the cusp of trading SP Kris Benson to Kansas City in exchange for RPs Mike McDougal and Jeremy Affeldt. So, if the Mets ARE players in the Vazquez chase, the rumored Benson-Bannister for Vazquez deal is now dead.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05