The Dbacks offseason thread

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Hoffman stays with Padres, so scratch another reliever off the list.

www.sportsline.com

Wickman gone as well- Cleveland. Jones is also close to signing with Detroit. While he's not that great (and I DON"T want him as a closer), Braden Looper's name has still been VERY quiet. He's value has plummeted and I think he could come rather cheap. Just an option

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Toronto gave all that up for Overbay why can't we get more for Glaus and Vazquez? Right now they are the best position player and pitcher on the market. Also The Nat's gave up alot for Soriano so we shouldn't settle for anything less.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
O's, what a feeling
Dec 7 - The Padres tried to re-sign catcher Ramon Hernandez, but he agreed to a four-year contract with the Orioles. Hernandez must pass a physical before the deal (reportedly for $27M) can be finalized.

The Orioles have Javy Lopez. Why the hell would they sign Hernandez???? Either thats the worst signing in the history of MLB (close to 14 mill per year for 2 catchers) or there's a deal about to go down.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
If Toronto gave all that up for Overbay why can't we get more for Glaus and Vazquez? Right now they are the best position player and pitcher on the market. Also The Nat's gave up alot for Soriano so we shouldn't settle for anything less.

Precisely. Which is why all along I've said wait and see.

Trust me, if a team's willing to throw a multitude of talented prospects for Overbay, the deal for Glaus should be pretty significant.

I really thought at first Vazquez's market would be dictated by AJ Burnett. Now that rumors claim Zito is on the market, switch face.

devilfan02 said:
O's, what a feeling
Dec 7 - The Padres tried to re-sign catcher Ramon Hernandez, but he agreed to a four-year contract with the Orioles. Hernandez must pass a physical before the deal (reportedly for $27M) can be finalized.

The Orioles have Javy Lopez. Why the hell would they sign Hernandez???? Either thats the worst signing in the history of MLB (close to 14 mill per year for 2 catchers) or there's a deal about to go down.

Javy is atrocious behind the plate, so there's a good chance he's going to wind up DHing full time, which is rightfully where he should be.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I forgot about the DH possibility. Whats the deal with this Rule 5 Major League Draft? It's going on right now and Florida just drafted Dan Uggla from the Dbacks. I also saw Jason Pridie (from Prescott) was drafted by the Twins from the Rays. Can anyone tell me what this is all about??

Here's the link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051208&content_id=1279039&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp

It's basically like another draft. Essentially, players who aren't "protected" are fair game in this. What happens is if a player is picked on the Rule V, the team that selects him has to keep him on the Major League Roster for the entire season, otherwise the player's original team has the opportunity to re-acquire them back (purchase them).

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
"The Cards are trying to work out the details on a trade that would send Jeff Supan, Jason Marquis, and two pitching prospects( Wainright/Lambert)to the D-Backs for Javier Vasquez and two prospects. One of the prospects is believed to be one of the D-Backs top OF prospects, Carlos Quentin. The Cards believe Quentin can fill one of the corner OF spots that they currently have open and can platoon Johnny Rodriguez/So Taguchi in the other corner spot."

Horrible trade rumor. However, the Cards are trying to use Vaz as a means to get Q. Still, I think it is a horrible deal.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
"Diamondbacks declined to offer arbitration to LHP Shawn Estes, SS Royce Clayton and LHP Buddy Groom.
Everyone is just so afraid of what players might get in arbitration. The Diamondbacks had interest in re-signing both Estes and Clayton for a year, but they wanted it to be on their terms."

I might have given it to Groom, but doesn't matter now. Did we offer arbitration to anyone?

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
"The Cards are trying to work out the details on a trade that would send Jeff Supan, Jason Marquis, and two pitching prospects( Wainright/Lambert)to the D-Backs for Javier Vasquez and two prospects. One of the prospects is believed to be one of the D-Backs top OF prospects, Carlos Quentin. The Cards believe Quentin can fill one of the corner OF spots that they currently have open and can platoon Johnny Rodriguez/So Taguchi in the other corner spot."

Horrible trade rumor. However, the Cards are trying to use Vaz as a means to get Q. Still, I think it is a horrible deal.

Ugh hell no. That deal blows chunks for the Diamondbacks. Suppan was pretty blah in his first go around in Arizona, Marquis is a solid, respectable #3 but not worth giving up Javy AND Quentin, and Wainwright/Lambert are a huge drop in talent from what we'll be giving up..

The Detroit trade was heaps better than this pile of crap.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know everyone loves q but I wouldnt be to disappointed if he were traded for a pitching prospect considering he has been injured off and on for the past three years

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
ESPN reported that Beane will wait until the Big 3 FA P's sign before deciding to deal Zito, so he is off the market for now.

I would do that wouldnt you? To get a prospect like Millidge and get back a servicable player in Benson who is do much less over the next two years and fills a void for the upcoming season. We cannot rely on youth and Ortiz if we want to contend for the division next year...

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:

If we do that trade, I will burn my WS Dback hat in front of BOB and then put on a Dodger jersey. Maybe not, but I'll be pissed. We got rid of Joe Jr. for a reason

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
When Diogu passed him Wednesday, Montgomery spoke up: "He's doing fine, even though he went to Arizona State. We're trying to overcome that."

2-3?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
When Diogu passed him Wednesday, Montgomery spoke up: "He's doing fine, even though he went to Arizona State. We're trying to overcome that."

2-3?

Minnesota? Higher expectations dont make us a worse team than AS-who....2-3 will be a distant memory in a month bro...and even if we only win two more games all year, i guarantee you they will both be against ASU....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
From CNNsi.com John Donovan

• A telling sight earlier in the day came when Atlanta's John Schuerholz, the second-oldest general manager in the majors (behind new Phillies GM Pat Gillick), stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Arizona's 35-year-old rookie GM Josh Byrnes. The two announced the first trade of Byrnes' career, with catcher Johnny Estrada going to the Diamondbacks for reliever Lance Cormier and Oscar Villareal.
"He knew what he wanted, he was direct and to the point," Byrnes said of his dealings with Schuerholz. "There were negotiations, of course, but in our first conversation, he was very direct.

"He's certainly the best general manager of my lifetime."

Final call: The rook held his own, and may come out on top if Estrada returns to form in '06.

Getting young potential studs in both players and management/coaching is probaly my favorite thing about following sports....Its like one day your Tom Brady comes about and from that point on things are just ....different

It doesnt happen too often and Byrnes isn't there yet but so far so good

I'll be watching what happens the next few months
:grabs:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Anyone got Insider so we can all read Crasnicks Dback analysis entitled "Vasquez trade to set off series of moves"

Please.......and Thank You

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Anyone got Insider so we can all read Crasnicks Dback analysis entitled "Vasquez trade to set off series of moves"

Please.......and Thank You

Diamondbacks assessing trade options

You must be registered for see images

By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN Insider
Archive

DALLAS -- Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes made out well on two fronts Wednesday. He picked up an affordable switch-hitting catcher, Johnny Estrada, for a pair of middling relief pitchers. Then he held a press conference with Atlanta GM John Schuerholz to announce the details of the trade.

If you're going to reflect on your first deal 20 years from now, it might as well be with a Cooperstown-caliber partner.

"John Schuerholz is certainly the best general manager of my lifetime and maybe of all time," Byrnes said. "I'd be lying if I said that's something you don't think about."

Byrnes, hired from Boston at the end of October, spent much of his first month on the job adding depth to the Diamondbacks' front office hierarchy. He hired Jerry Dipoto for help on the scouting side, brought in Peter Woodfork for input on the money and statistical side, and added former big-league catcher A.J. Hinch to oversee the farm system. The Diamondbacks even hired a new trainer Wednesday.

Now comes the fun part -- and the first big challenge for the new Arizona regime.

Win McNamee/Getty Images
Vazquez went 11-15 with a 4.42 ERA in 33 starts last season for the Diamondbacks.

Two weeks after pitcher Javier Vazquez issued a trade demand so he can play closer to his home in Puerto Rico, the Diamondbacks are painstakingly sifting through offers from 8-10 teams. Vazquez figured to have an active market given he's 29 years old and has averaged 33 starts and 220 innings over the past six seasons. But trade talks are even more active than anticipated now that he's regarded as downright reasonable.

When A.J. Burnett signed for five years and $55 million and reports of four-year offers for Kevin Millwood began surfacing, the two years and $24 million left on Vazquez's deal suddenly didn't seem so onerous. The Diamondbacks have already made it clear to trade partners that they won't pick up a cent of the contract.

Vazquez submitted a list of six teams where he can decline a trade. It consists of Seattle, Texas, Toronto, Detroit, Baltimore and Philadelphia. His concerns range from location (Seattle) to hitter-friendly ballpark configuration (Philadelphia, Texas and Baltimore) to the hassle of passing through customs (Toronto).

So who are the frontrunners? Washington is sure to be a player, because Jim Bowden likes big splashes and the Diamondbacks like outfielder Ryan Church. The Mets are another potential fit, but they'd probably have to move both Kaz Matsui and Kris Benson to squeeze Vazquez onto their payroll.

While St. Louis and Atlanta both make sense for a lot of reasons, Vazquez appears be outside their financial comfort zone. It's not outlandish to think the Astros could get involved now that they've declined to offer salary arbitration to Roger Clemens, but Houston GM Tim Purpura appears to be more interested in adding a bat.

As the process shakes out, Byrnes is making sure to keep an open mind.

"Our approach with Javy is, 'Let's get the best return possible and build a team and an organization that gets to a real high level and stays there,' " Byrnes said. "It's not precision aiming at this point, because we're not one player away.

"We've been hit from all sides. We've been offered equal salary guys, guys in the middle financially or aggressive prospect deals that give us financial relief and young talent. We've sort of considered all angles."

While Byrnes assesses his options on Vazquez, he's simultaneously working to ease another roster glut. Arizona has seven corner infielders or outfielders -- Troy Glaus, Luis Gonzalez, Shawn Green, Chad Tracy, Tony Clark and prospects Conor Jackson and Carlos Quentin -- and it's likely someone will be moved between now and spring training.

The inevitable speculation has focused on Glaus because he has three years and $33 million left on his contract, but Byrnes said there was absolutely no foundation to a rumored three-way deal that would have sent Glaus to Boston, Manny Ramirez to Anaheim and prospects to Arizona.

"That had a lot of rumor fuel because there were some big names involved," Byrnes said, "but it didn't have any credibility."

The Diamondbacks say it's entirely possible that Glaus won't be going anywhere this winter. They've told his agent, Mike Nicotera, that it's more a case of testing the waters than actively shopping Glaus.

"We put a lot of effort into signing Troy last offseason, and he's a valuable member of our team," said general partner Jeff Moorad. "That being said, there's a lively interest in him on the trade market. Like anyone on our roster, we're certainly going to listen."

The Diamondbacks won 77 games last year after going a major-league worst 51-111 in 2004, but they're not deluding themselves into thinking that they're ready to contend. The team ERA was 4.84 last year, and the rotation of Brandon Webb, Russ Ortiz, Brad Halsey and Claudio Vargas is shaky. There's a gaping hole in center field, and the bullpen needs an upgrade.

It's no wonder that Byrnes said his front office staff were busy at the winter meetings in Dallas. "We've worked 18-19 hour days while we've been here," he said.

Sharing the stage with John Schuerholz for that first deal was a nice start. The Diamondbacks hope there's much bigger news to come. Jerry Crasnick covers baseball for ESPN Insider. His book "License To Deal" has been published by Rodale. Click here to order a copy. Jerry can be reached via e-mail.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
[
So who are the frontrunners? Washington is sure to be a player, because Jim Bowden likes big splashes and the Diamondbacks like outfielder Ryan Church.

Interesting, I'd like that. If we could do Javy for Church+prospects, I'd be ok w/ that

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark but with the Nationals picking up Soriano could we possibly get Jose Vidro as part of a Vazquez deal. Soriano came out today and said he refuses to play anywhere but 2B. Vidro could be a nice pick up.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I would do that wouldnt you? To get a prospect like Millidge and get back a servicable player in Benson who is do much less over the next two years and fills a void for the upcoming season. We cannot rely on youth and Ortiz if we want to contend for the division next year...

If we could get Milledge and Benson and we didn't have to pay any of Vazquez's salary then that is a good deal since Benson makes about 5 million less than Vazquez. Can Milledge bat lead off?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO, it is a two team race realistically for the service of Vazquez. Washington and the Mets. He has six teams he won't play for and two others (Florida and TB) that don't like his salary. What are the other 8 teams that have expressed a strong interest in him.

If we trade him to the Nat's what major league pitching prospects do they have to go along w/ Church?

If we trade him to the Mets I think we need to ask for Milledge and Humber and that's it. A Zito trade would probably net the A's those 2 if they asked for them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05